genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
+365|6678|Middle of nowhere
i have 1 question:

when you do #1 (the punkbuster drive checks) do you have to do it everytime you enter a server? or just once?
vjs
+19|6771
Just once since you acutally save the file in the second step.

Also I don't suggest using 500 (use 200) some servers kick, I had a message but I couldn't read it all stated something to the effect of.

"Punkbuster, failure to transmit ...  time ... infrequent ..." I think setting this to 400 would take care of that problem but I set mine to 200. I didn't see any improvement with the 500 setting over the oginal setting and the 500 actually made me hang from time to time.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Also i think I found the solution to my problem of being disconnected. It's part of the MYTH's about WinXP.

Some people believe that Microsoft reserved 20% of your bandwidth for MS related products, (example, live updates, outlook "mail", internet explorer, etc etc etc".

If you search on the web for it there are opinions both ways, some techs even call it a stupid conspiracy theory. You will also find a way to remove this reserved portion or change it to some other value like 0%.

Is it a myth? Well there is a value in the registry for it so it does exist the only question is the deffition of the word reserved. Does reserve mean "ONLY FOR MS PRODUCTS" or "MS can use it when it wants but if it's not using it will give ti to other programs".

You can see how the first option is easier to program...

Well I think this myth is busted for me at this point... the myth is nolonger a myth but true.

I've always set this value to 0% reserved for microsoft, I personally believe it makes my downloads faster. However what I think is happening is while BF2 is playing it consumes all of the bandwidth, this is evidient since my torrents will drop to zero upload download and dissconnect after some time.

So I think Punkbuster works within this 20% window (Is PB a microsoft product?), since I removed this reserved 20% when punkbuster tries to send information the bandwidth hangs and I loose connection.

What I did was change this 20% from my 0% to 7%, in otherwords I'm now allowing 7% of my bandwidth to be dedicated to MS. Since then I have never been disconnected from a server unless the server crashes (I.e. login to the same server once disconnected and the round has restarted or nobody is there).
UberCrazy
+0|6557
very nice tips, my only question is if you have a 512mb graphics card (i have a X1800XT) would the AGP size for tip3 be 512?
vjs
+19|6771
Do they make an AGP in 512MB? If so then yes for 512MB.

Of course if you have PCI-E then this setting does not exist or would do nothing in your bios.
fierce
I love [fiSh]
+167|6568

badhq wrote:

Tip 2:

Renaming the BF2.exe File
Don't know who ever tried this?! In the taskmanager i haven't got any memory differences. The bad side of this "hint", my games didn't last long - cuz i always got kicked by PunkBuster for altering gamefiles. Renamed it back and everything was fine.

The punkbuster tweak with setting pb_sleep to 500 is good. It decreased my ping by nearly 10 ms.
ShellShock.PwN
+31|6788|Barrie Ontario
Yea i renamed it and it runs EXCELLENT...1 problem, after i close it wont let me start it again cause it says it has encountered and error. sometimes itll let me go in about 20 mins later but sometimes/most of the time i have to restart my computer.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6844|Bryan/College Station, TX
Just an observation. Should this go under the Tech Thread area?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6722|Sydney, Australia

kilroy0097 wrote:

Just an observation. Should this go under the Tech Thread area?
What about a feature post?
|CoR| Majik_Kracker
Anti-Tank Aficionado
+10|6700|Arizona, USA
how do i change the Xfire_games.config file for tip #2?
i don't know how to get there and what to do. (thanks, and yeah i'm a noob at computers)
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6628|UK

|CoR| Majik_Kracker wrote:

how do i change the Xfire_games.config file for tip #2?
i don't know how to get there and what to do. (thanks, and yeah i'm a noob at computers)
C:\Program Files\Xfire\xfire_games.ini

On the notepad screen: Go to: 'Edit', 'Find', type 'bf2' - This will take you to the Battlefield 2 codes.

At this point add the stuff that you need to

Last edited by liquidat0r (2006-05-22 00:47:52)

|CoR| Majik_Kracker
Anti-Tank Aficionado
+10|6700|Arizona, USA
thanks alot. i was overlooking xfire_games...
captain-a
63 61 70 74 61 69 6e 2d 61
+141|6628|Germany
Nice work, thanks +1 for you
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6628|UK

|CoR| Majik_Kracker wrote:

thanks alot. i was overlooking xfire_games...
np

genius_man16 wrote:

i have 1 question:

when you do #1 (the punkbuster drive checks) do you have to do it everytime you enter a server? or just once?
just once. hence the pb_writecfg

Last edited by liquidat0r (2006-05-22 01:38:39)

FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6691|Devon, England
if i patch after doing ll this stuff, will bf2 work? cos i have installed 1.3 and my bf2 doesnt work...
JahManRed
wank
+646|6628|IRELAND

FFLink13 wrote:

if i patch after doing ll this stuff, will bf2 work? cos i have installed 1.3 and my bf2 doesnt work...
I am the same man................help.............*wimper*
beerface702
+65|6693|las vegas
good tips about performance logs and background task. i usually just shut them down in msconfig, or services

used darkvipers page

nice lil program , kill em all
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6628|UK

JahManRed wrote:

FFLink13 wrote:

The only thing that you wil need to change back to the original before installing the new patch is the bf2.exe.
One of the tips in this guide is to rename the bf2.exe file to bf21.exe. If you have done this then patching will not work.
[OvC]_AMD_Man
+2|6816|England
i deleted my intro movies a while ago and after reading this thread set punkbuster delay to 500 and bf2.exe to run 'AboveNormal'

i am considering disabling the paging executive,

If you have at least a gigabyte of ram I suggest this.
i only have 1gb of ram at the moment, now i have heard about people doing this with 2gb of ram but is it wise on 1gb?

Last edited by [OvC]_AMD_Man (2006-05-24 10:30:29)

liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6628|UK

[OvC]_AMD_Man wrote:

i deleted my intro movies a while ago and after reading this thread set punkbuster delay to 500 and bf2.exe to run 'AboveNormal'

i am considering disabling the paging executive,

i only have 1gb of ram at the moment, now i have heard about people doing this with 2gb of ram but is it wise on 1gb?
My computer is still working fine. As far as i can tell there is no risk with this... hence the:
ReDmAn_ThE_uNiQuE
oh hai :D
+156|6652|The Netherlands
few... i hope for you it was a copy, paste cause its a lot of text ..but thanx anyway +1
Herackles
+33|6627
I've got one question regarding the tweaks.  If you uninstall and reinstall Battlefield 2, SF and EURO...do the regedit tweaks still work for the game or do you have to go back in regedit and delete the entries you've made already (as they are still there even after the uninstall) and create new ones.

As always, thanks for your help.
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6551|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
Sorry if this has already been said but tip 2 should contain a warning.  You MUST re-rename the file back to bf2.exe before patching!  I followed all your tips and when 1.3 came out, I installed it and then couldn't get BF2 to work at all.  The screen would go black and then CTD.  I realised that the first thing the patches do is "process the bf2.exe file" and it can't do this if you've renamed it.
darkcrystal
First Aid! Here!
+12|6688
just a note to agp users:
instead of changing the memory arpet...w/e value, change the bandwidth.  you can have 8x, 4x and 2x.  try putting it at different values (this can be found in bios aswell)  i believe there is a simmilar command for PCI-e, but i havent been in BIOS since i was into ocing my comp (almost a year ago ) so i cant really remember
JahManRed
wank
+646|6628|IRELAND

liquidat0r wrote:

JahManRed wrote:

FFLink13 wrote:

The only thing that you wil need to change back to the original before installing the new patch is the bf2.exe.
One of the tips in this guide is to rename the bf2.exe file to bf21.exe. If you have done this then patching will not work.
Yup I reconed that, I reversed all the changes I made. I still had to do a full reinstall. Which proves it was an EA problem not a tweek problem.......... t
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6551|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

JahManRed wrote:

liquidat0r wrote:

JahManRed wrote:

Yup I reconed that, I reversed all the changes I made. I still had to do a full reinstall. Which proves it was an EA problem not a tweek problem.......... t
IT WAS BECAUSE YOU CHANGED THE BF2.EXE FILENAME.  HAPPENED TO ME AND REALISED THE PATCH ALTERS THIS FIRST SO YOU MUST REVERT IT BEFORE PATCHING.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard