Awesome job man +1
Sgt_Stutta
The Disturbed One
+14|6646|Tucson, AZ, USA, Earth
holy crap thats a lot of info but good tips man, awesome FIND lol
KingLou
Banned
+79|6594|Las Vegas
I have a question:  Has anyone actually tried these?  And if so.....what kind of performance gain have you actually seen?  Any actual numbers?  Like "It use to take x seconds for 'verifying client data'......and now it only takes y seconds."

KiL
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Ok, quick question. How can I remove the GPU drivers? I have experienced some occasional short black screen whilst playing, and the game has CTD a few times. It's not the shortcuts, as I have updated all of those. Unless anyone has a better explanation for the problems?
MaddOps
Who the hell elected you leader of this outfit?
+55|6567
ATTENTION:  THIS IS CRITICAL!!!!

If you are using a ZBoard and you institute the BF21.bat file, Your Zboard will not register as enabled in the game, and it will act a little funny.  It's tied in with reading the BF2.exe.

Thought I'd save some folks a headache on this one.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

What is Zboard?
pfc_toecutter
meatshield
+38|6588|Houston, TX
Boris, simply awesome. +1
Auqakuh2213
Bianchi Whore.
+53|6639
I can add a tweak to this list.

Basically, it revolves around using the -heapsize command argument; this essentially dedicates a set amount of RAM to a given application (never more than half total system RAM - that will crash your machine!), in kilobytes. The advantage of this is that the software does not automatically use the maximum amount of available system RAM - naturally this means your hardware is not, effectively, being fully utilized. But if you tell it do so... well, it does!

So! An example, from my system which has 1gb of RAM.

Using the .bat file boris described as a base, simply because that's easiest, we can alter the .bat file from:

Code:

@echo off
cd /d "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2"
start /high BF21.exe +menu 1 +fullscreen 1
to:

Code:

@echo off
start /high BF21.exe +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 -heapsize 516096
516096 is not the maximum you can set it to with 1gb of RAM (I think), but is just an abitrary figure close to half of the system RAM. As I said, it should always be in kilobytes (1024 bytes = 1 kilobyte, 1024 kilobytes = 1 megabyte, etc), and should always be less than half. Your system will crash if you set it higher than half.

This should make map loading a little swifter. My machine is no beast but I'm still usually amongst the first six to spawn in a game.

The -heapsize argument can be used with most any application, too, including all of your other games. I also use it with Oblivion, with rather superb results - I can play that with all the settings up with very minimal slowdown.

For those curious: I have a Sempron 3200+ (true frequency: 1.81Ghz), 1gb of relatively fast RAM, a middle-performance Western Digital HDD in UDMA IDE, a Club3D GeForce 6800 (256mb VRAM), running Windows XP Pro.

Last edited by Auqakuh2213 (2006-05-06 15:05:31)

The1_Knightmare
Alt+F4 For God-Mode
+14|6596
I got a question. In tip 2 and 4, do i need to tweak anything for Special Force?
Fuzzball_the_Shooter
The Photographer.
+81|6675|Central Valley,California
Awesome! +1 and make this a sticky!
Breez
AKA: badhq
+937|6602|Derby, England

Auqakuh2213 wrote:

I can add a tweak to this list.

Basically, it revolves around using the -heapsize command argument; this essentially dedicates a set amount of RAM to a given application (never more than half total system RAM - that will crash your machine!), in kilobytes. The advantage of this is that the software does not automatically use the maximum amount of available system RAM - naturally this means your hardware is not, effectively, being fully utilized. But if you tell it do so... well, it does!

So! An example, from my system which has 1gb of RAM.

Using the .bat file boris described as a base, simply because that's easiest, we can alter the .bat file from:

Code:

@echo off
start /high BF21.exe +menu 1 +fullscreen 1
to:

Code:

@echo off
start /high BF21.exe +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 -heapsize 516096
516096 is not the maximum you can set it to with 1gb of RAM (I think), but is just an abitrary figure close to half of the system RAM. As I said, it should always be in kilobytes (1024 bytes = 1 kilobyte, 1024 kilobytes = 1 megabyte, etc), and should always be less than half. Your system will crash if you set it higher than half.

This should make map loading a little swifter. My machine is no beast but I'm still usually amongst the first six to spawn in a game.

The -heapsize argument can be used with most any application, too, including all of your other games. I also use it with Oblivion, with rather superb results - I can play that with all the settings up with very minimal slowdown.

For those curious: I have a Sempron 3200+ (true frequency: 1.81Ghz), 1gb of relatively fast RAM, a middle-performance Western Digital HDD in UDMA IDE, a Club3D GeForce 6800 (256mb VRAM), running Windows XP Pro.
Done :-) +1
The1_Knightmare
Alt+F4 For God-Mode
+14|6596
Ok, i figured SF uses the same .exe as BF2 but how do i do tip 4 on SF? I dont feel like opening BF2, then changing to SF in Community tab.
Poncho
and I'm not a raincoat...
+91|6677|NL
I got a small but nice tweak too.

Startup Control Panel is a nifty control panel applet that allows you to easily configure which programs run when your computer starts. It's simple to use and, like all my programs, is very small and won't burden your system. A valuable tool for system administrators!

Startup Control Panel is compatible with all modern versions of Windows, including Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP.
It can be found here: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

edit: keep in mind that after installation it is in the control panel map. (configuratiescherm)

Last edited by Poncho (2006-05-08 09:18:19)

Samtheman53
Banned
+346|6665|UK
oops sry badhq i -1 karma instead of +1.

wont make a difference you have enough ;-)

!sry!
Breez
+937|6602|Derby, England

Samtheman53 wrote:

oops sry badhq i -1 karma instead of +1.

wont make a difference you have enough ;-)

!sry!
Imao thats cool No probs bro lol Peace Boris

By the way Nice tweek there Poncho have you tested it yeat ?

Peace Boris
a fly
+105|6614|The netherlands

Poncho wrote:

I got a small but nice tweak too.

Startup Control Panel is a nifty control panel applet that allows you to easily configure which programs run when your computer starts. It's simple to use and, like all my programs, is very small and won't burden your system. A valuable tool for system administrators!

Startup Control Panel is compatible with all modern versions of Windows, including Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP.
It can be found here: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

edit: keep in mind that after installation it is in the control panel map. (configuratiescherm)
theres tons of those tools, i recomment it to evryone! it can even help against noob viruses ect :-)
-TAC^Opie-
+2|6776
Thanks for all the tweaks.  One question tho: the amount of time my game lags at the beginning of each game is now longer.  What tweak causes this, or what tweak would best address this?
Breez
+937|6602|Derby, England

-TAC^Opie- wrote:

Thanks for all the tweaks.  One question tho: the amount of time my game lags at the beginning of each game is now longer.  What tweak causes this, or what tweak would best address this?
mess around with different settings see whats works for you the best

u can also get Auto Tweeker not sure about the site i will post up link soon as I find it it dos tweeking Auto :-) Peace Boris
The1_Knightmare
Alt+F4 For God-Mode
+14|6596

The1_Knightmare wrote:

Ok, i figured SF uses the same .exe as BF2 but how do i do tip 4 on SF? I dont feel like opening BF2, then changing to SF in Community tab.
I just think some people missed me.
-TAC^Opie-
+2|6776
Two quick comments:

Tip 3: I think the 256 AGP Aperture setting is just for video cards with 256 MB RAM.  If you have an older card like mine (Radeon 9800), 128 matches the RAM on my card, which I understand is the way to choose this correctly.

Tip 8: I read on another forum that Windows still uses the pagefile even when you disable the paging executive.  I realized this with my lag during game start up, even with the registry tweak.  Thus, I've read that setting the page file to 2560 helped for others with 1 Gig RAM and the lag at the start of a round.

Instructions for changing the paging file size can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308417

Last edited by -TAC^Opie- (2006-05-09 14:02:01)

Breez
+937|6602|Derby, England

-TAC^Opie- wrote:

Two quick comments:

Tip 3: I think the 256 AGP Aperture setting is just for video cards with 256 MB RAM.  If you have an older card like mine (Radeon 9800), 128 matches the RAM on my card, which I understand is the way to choose this correctly.

Tip 8: I read on another forum that Windows still uses the pagefile even when you disable the paging executive.  I realized this with my lag during game start up, even with the registry tweak.  Thus, I've read that setting the page file to 2560 helped for others with 1 Gig RAM and the lag at the start of a round.

Instructions for changing the paging file size can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308417
+ 1 Good find Bro :-)
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
You should have a table of contents for which tip is which solution.
whitewolf1111
+1|6552
Thanx for all the tips am off to see how they go.
vjs
+19|6741
This is a great thread unfortunate there are about 2 pages of +1's to go through could we get an admin to delete all the well done +1. Yes very good job and I gave the whole +1 thing to everyone but wow...

O.k. my complaining aside.

=================================================

I've been using some of the tips you mentioned before really good, especially the movies, graphics, drivers, etc...

I had done these things before and the improvement is great. Also using English only helps as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
However once I tried a few more of your suggestions I STARTED HAVING PROBLEMS

Tried the pagefile:

The pagefile really helped alot, I have 2G so the computer is actually alot better including non-bf2 stuff bootup seems to access the harddrive alot less. Don't think this is the issue.

Punkbuster with the 500 option.

I updated the punkbuster as suggested and then did the 500 sleep with the save.

I started getting kicked from servers... Setting this back to 200 didn't help.

My computer is now crashing to desktop every 20 minutes or so of in game gaming.

It's either the pagefile or the punkbuster, I changed the sleep back to 200 still didn't help, does anyone know the orginal setting?

Also anyone else start getting problems after this? Perhaps I have to uninstall the pbupdate, I sort of wish I hadn't touched the punkbuster.

It doesn't say kicked by punkbuster but it does say I've lost connection, I simply get back into the server no problem. It's almost like the game disconnects me after x number of minutes continously. Really sucks while commanding.
Herackles
+33|6596
Wanted to post and say thank you badhq for bringing this to our attention.  While some may have already been aware of these tweaks, a few, like me weren't.  To say that this has helped would be an understatement.  I was able to play all the BF2 maps on high settings with no problems, but when it came to SF maps, I couldn't even think about playing on them, especially Warlord, as everything was extremely laggy.  But, after applying these tweaks I can play all maps while keeping my current BF2 settings.  And all maps run as smooth as silk now.

Thanks.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard