blackvenges
+3|6686
Just curious if any of you guys use linux with cedega or winx. I was thinking about switching to linux after this semester is over but i didnt want to take too much of a hit on game proformance
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6721
i would say not just yet since windows is the best OS for now... if u have XP keep using it, if u dont then u can get linux for free. I would say you search for some articles about how to use linux, i heard its Waaaaaaaay different from windows.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
blackvenges
+3|6686
i have used linux in the past but i found myself spending more time learn the in's and out's than actually doing my schoolwork. I loved linux and urg people to try it. xp is ok but there are thing that i just dont like about it... like viruses and such.

If you have never tried linux there are a couple cd base versions like knopix which you dont have to install and can run on a computer that has windows.
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6680|Planet Seibertron ;)
I'd try it out on Linux but I've no system readily capable of BF2 yet.  I don't know if I can stand taking a performance hit due to DirectX redirection calls.  I've too much things on Windows to really justify moving or migrating to Linux.
BellusEndus
Make love not war
+59|6628|Edinburg

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

i would say not just yet since windows is the best OS for now...
I hope you only mean for gaming!?

As far as I'm aware winx doesn't support BF2 (atleast Wine doesn't anyway). No idea about Cedega, I was thinking of doing the same but don't wanna pay £3/month just to play (or is that just a bit pathetic?)!

have a look at this (if you haven't already): http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/vi … me_id=3618
Maj.Do
+85|6757|good old CA
i use linux, not for gaming though.  Its on my laptop whcih i havent used in sometime.   You can try linux using a live disk or something, it runs only on your ram.
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6810|Portland, OR, USA

The guys in my clan who use Linux either dual boot (a pain) or run two boxes.

You just can't play Windows games on Linux and have them be stable or perform well.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
blackvenges
+3|6686
i think i will run it on my second rig over the summer and try it out see how it works.

For cedega the $5/ month is only for the updates i believe you can play forever after the first payment but you get no updates
BlackLegion42
Damn Command and Conquer Generals...
+62|6735|Rochester, NY
I use CentOS, Unbuntu and Red Hat before on my old Pentium III 450 Mhz Dell and a Pentium 4 1.4 GHZ HP Vectra. I think Linux is pretty good in terms of networking and security, but on the entertainment side and productivity, I would have to stick with Windows or OS X. Overall Linux is a very good OS variant but I wish it has more compatibility in the entertainment side like Apple's Boot Camp or something in the lines.
XxUNDEROATHxX
=(1C4L)=underOATH
+52|6661|Chandler, AZ
if you want a .exe/windows emulator, check out WINE, VMWare, and Qemu...

I was using those, intil I got pissed with Linux for not working with my wireless card, and I wiped the drive...
misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6401|Indianapolis, IN
http://misconfig.blogspot.com/2007/04/c … eview.html

I can make a full-blown BF2 tutorial if you'd like
Yaocelotl
:D
+221|6655|Keyboard

misconfiguration wrote:

http://misconfig.blogspot.com/2007/04/cedega-mini-review.html

Hi, I also use Ubuntu (7.04 Feisty Fawn) and I have a question for you: Is cedega now freeware or still requires a paid subscription?
misconfiguration
GURU

Yaocelotl wrote:

misconfiguration wrote:

http://misconfig.blogspot.com/2007/04/cedega-mini-review.html

Hi, I also use Ubuntu (7.04 Feisty Fawn) and I have a question for you: Is cedega now freeware or still requires a paid subscription?
It's still a paid subscription, just about every game I have working works well under wine (wine is free) there is a slew of  documentation out there for each game. If you don't want to pay you can always port with winex directly. A bit more configuration is required and not all games are as supported.
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6657
Linux simply isn't at the level of Windows for gaming and frankly i'm not sure if it ever will be.

If you're a gamer then Linux isn't a realistic option.

Cedega (based on an old version of the WINE source but heavilly updated to focus on DirectX) and WINE still have loads of work that needs doing.

Plus you will see a big performance hit on games by using WINE/Cedega. Also, if you have an ATI card forget Linux. ATI drivers suck on Linux.
[LRDG] Ed
Watch out for that claymore!
+32|6597|UK
Linux is great. It's on the laptops.
Thoruz
+42|6331|Germany
i think linux will be more gamer friendly in the future but it might take several years
i have had cedega for a while but the performance wasn't the best and not every game runs
it's a nice os for everything except gaming
misconfiguration
GURU

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

Linux simply isn't at the level of Windows for gaming and frankly i'm not sure if it ever will be.

Cedega (based on an old version of the WINE source but heavilly updated to focus on DirectX) and WINE still have loads of work that needs doing.

Plus you will see a big performance hit on games by using WINE/Cedega. Also, if you have an ATI card forget Linux. ATI drivers suck on Linux.
I completely agree with you about the ATI cards, but don't blame Linux. Blame the device manufacturers but how much have you used Wine/Cedega, did you just look this stuff up? One thing I have noticed about things that are said about wine/cedega is always the same old shit, it's like chain letter that will never end.

With some careful configuration and time you can get any game to work, I'm even playing BF2 on my clans server right now; I had to manually update PB but hey it's working. The platform is much more stable than windows can even dream of (KERNEL can handle 4 BILLION times more traffic than windows kernel). Stop reading what others have to say, it's funny that my CPU usage is at 2% while I game, any game I played before is officially ported on my Linux box.

I'm an avid gamer I have been for year's Linux is very realistic for all gamers. Linux gaming won't gain any notoriety when people like you with defeatist attitudes and no patients to learn and get things working properly have a say in it.
lehter
+4|6453

misconfiguration wrote:

With some careful configuration and time you can get any game to work, I'm even playing BF2 on my clans server right now; I had to manually update PB but hey it's working.
I've been thinking on moving to linux for quite some time. I'm on dual boot already, but would like to switch to linux completely. Gaming is really the only hindrance here. Cedega looks promising, but I haven't tried it out yet - I don't like paying for something that may not work.

I've a few questions, if you don't mind.

Which version of Cedega/wine are you using?

Does PB let you play on any server, or are there servers where PB kicks you? I hear that was a problem at some point atleast with Cedega.

What kind of FPS do you get on windows and what in linux side for BF2?

Thoruz wrote:

i have had cedega for a while but the performance wasn't the best and not every game runs
Which version of Cedega do you have, and what are the FPS differences? According to their web pages, atleast BF2 is supported.

misconfiguration wrote:

The platform is much more stable than windows can even dream of (KERNEL can handle 4 BILLION times more traffic than windows kernel). Stop reading what others have to say, it's funny that my CPU usage is at 2% while I game, any game I played before is officially ported on my Linux box.
Hm... Allow me to doubt those figures. Linux is excellent, but it can't do magic...

misconfiguration wrote:

I'm an avid gamer I have been for year's Linux is very realistic for all gamers. Linux gaming won't gain any notoriety when people like you with defeatist attitudes and no patients to learn and get things working properly have a say in it.
I'd say that Linux is getting there gradually. It's not yet for everybody, but distros like Ubuntu are getting very, very close.

If a system needs opening a root terminal to get it configured and working, it's not there yet. Personally root terminal is not an issue, but I'm afraid I - and probably you, too - are in a marginal minority.

br,
Lehter
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6657

misconfiguration wrote:

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

I completely agree with you about the ATI cards, but don't blame Linux. Blame the device manufacturers but how much have you used Wine/Cedega, did you just look this stuff up? One thing I have noticed about things that are said about wine/cedega is always the same old shit, it's like chain letter that will never end.

With some careful configuration and time you can get any game to work, I'm even playing BF2 on my clans server right now; I had to manually update PB but hey it's working. The platform is much more stable than windows can even dream of (KERNEL can handle 4 BILLION times more traffic than windows kernel). Stop reading what others have to say, it's funny that my CPU usage is at 2% while I game, any game I played before is officially ported on my Linux box.

Sorry, but it isn't.

Dude, i've been a Linux user since the 2.0 kernel. So somehow I think I can comment on this.

At first I was an avid WineX user (hell, I quad-booted at one point.. Win 98, Win 2k, Linux (various distros) and BeOS) but at the end of the day game compatibility is still a big issue with Cedega. The moment you step outside of the supported games list you're in for a world of hassle.

And as you yourself said "With some careful configuration and time you can get any game to work", which kind of defeats the whole point of gaming. By the way there are a smeg load of games that will not work regardless of how much tweaking you do, which again defies the whole point of gaming which is meant to be pick up and play.

EDIT: I occasionally do tech support for people I know and I can tell you here and now.. a lot of them have what I consider very minor problems yet for them they can't figure out how to solve them under Windows.
If they can't figure out that they need to install a new driver etc then what the hell are they going to do when trying to get a game working under Linux with wine or cedega?
Font problems? Adding a windows DLL to Wine so it will run a game correctly? Compiling and installing a new kernel... and so forth.

Your argument falls down the moment a normal user plays a game under Linux.

Last edited by EvilMonkeySlayer (2007-04-19 04:51:57)

misconfiguration
GURU
EvilMonkeySlayer: I do definitly agree with your point; what I'm trying to stress is for us Linux users setup/game on our *NIX boxes as much as possible. This helps the entire community so we can infact; get linux gaming up to par. A normal user will not be able to do this albeit with enough of us testing/configuring and coding we can definitly make a difference. Don't let me sound like a cocky snob that's not what I'm trying to do here, I just want to stress my personal views about the linux community, Linux users are notorious for taking the hard-route per se, some small bugs/configuration issues are not going to stop the most of us.

lehter: My CPU usage is in fact 2% while running WoW, I have a FX-55 proc, 2gb DDR2 RAM and a 7900GTO, the machine functions superbly a noticeable different from XP > *NIX. My WoW Frame rates vary depending on the server load, normally 50-100 FPS depending on where I am; I read that WoW calculates the Frame-rates very oddly.

With BF2, I can connect to any server I like; I do have to manually update my PB files in order to game online; I have to do this quite frequently which can get annoying but you eventually develop a process. I get 90-100 FPS in BF2; not much of a difference than XP; I did get the same frame rates.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6654

Viper007Bond wrote:

You just can't play Windows games on Linux and have them be stable or perform well.
How so? I dual boot Windowz and Ubuntu, and have no problems with it.
misconfiguration
GURU

ghettoperson wrote:

Viper007Bond wrote:

How so? I dual boot Windowz and Ubuntu, and have no problems with it.
I'm sure it has to do with your boot loader/system configuration. A proper dual-booting system has no issues, even if you use the windows boot loader. So I don't know why those guys are having issues =/.

Last edited by misconfiguration (2007-04-23 13:15:42)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard