CHAO5
+6|6678
Hey Guys

I think my PC is broken... But i dont know which part is broken. I can start bf2 and during gaming the screen freezes for about 5-20 seconds. After the freeze the game keeps running for about 5-10 minutes (and again freeze). Sometimes the screen is fully freezed and i have to reset my pc.

I hope someone has a clue where the broken part is (gfx-card, mainboard, cpu??)

Thanks for your help
Mr.Pieeater
+116|6622|Cherry Pie
I'm no expert on this, but I don't think your hardware is broken.  If I were you I would do some spring cleaning to your computer.

Disk Cleanup
Defragment
Download new drivers (Videocard, Motherboard, Hard drives, etc)
Update windows

Download and run Spybot, Ad-aware, and Ccleaner (or CCcleaner, not sure).

Those programs will remove spyware and other stuff.
Maj.Do
+85|6750|good old CA
specs?
CHAO5
+6|6678
Thanks for the tips, i'll try them.

my specs are:

cpu: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory: 1.00 GB (2x512MB)
mainboard: ASUS P4P800-E
gfx-card: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 256MB AGP
Windows XP with the newest NVIDIA drivers
slo5oh
+28|6659
What's the last thing you changed before the problem started?
walyl135
+7|6631|(UK) SOUTH LONDON GUV'NOR
your system seems ok are you sure you havent benn clogged by spyware, download spyware doctor from www.downloads.com and run that it should find most spyware also take advantage of the registry mechanic your system registry may be a mess which slows you down no end
walyl135
plus of course you pc has a PENTIUM (sacriledge). next time you buy a pc save up for that bit longer and buy AMD........................
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6595|Seattle

After all else fails, memtesters, registry checkers, spy scans, etc. Check your cd ROM or DVD drives. I've seen them really throw me and everyone else I know for a loop. Turned out the damn cd rom was the problem all along. Just an idea...
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
General Klink
+1|6621

walyl135 wrote:

plus of course you pc has a PENTIUM (sacriledge). next time you buy a pc save up for that bit longer and buy AMD........................
I agree, except he doesn't need to save extra for AMD is ALWAYS less expensive and far superior to Intel.

Chaos:

If all else fails, I would save all your $h*t on another drive or DVD-R  and reformat your PC if it hasn't been done in a while.

I am a firm believer in annual reformats. It is like buying a new car every year and doesn't cost a dime!
walyl135

General Klink wrote:

walyl135 wrote:

I agree, except he doesn't need to save extra for AMD is ALWAYS less expensive and far superior to Intel.

Chaos:

If all else fails, I would save all your $h*t on another drive or DVD-R  and reformat your PC if it hasn't been done in a while.

I am a firm believer in annual reformats. It is like buying a new car every year and doesn't cost a dime!
yes but he can save and get a MUCH better AMD Processor But still, to the PENTIUM ASS HOLES OUT THERE "I WILL RIP OFF YOU HEAD AND SHIT DOWN YOUR NECK"   Duke nukem 1994(i think)
CHAO5
+6|6678
@ walyl135: you want to say that i have to buy a AMD processor and of course a new motherboard (with an AMD-socket) and then my problem is away???

@General Klink: i tryed all the utilities from above (regcleaner, spyware doctor, alernative drivers(omegadrivers.net)).  and i reformated and reinstalled my pc about 1 month ago. Today, i had a bluesceen (during gaming), but i couldnt read the exact error. I really think its a hardware-problem. i think that the gfx-card has some problems, because a bluescreen only appears when there are hardwareprobs..
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6595|Seattle

A blue screen can also appear from a device driver
CHAO5
+6|6678
do you mean i have to take out the dvd-drive or only the disk?
and whats about the virtual drives?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Pentiums are perfectly capable of running this game.

That being said, I still prefer AMD. But to people out there stuck with a Pentium, you probably don't need to throw it away right off.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-04-18 16:17:57)

Cold Fussion
72% alcohol
+63|6666|Sydney, Australia
Open of your pc and vaccum up all the dust inside. This could be an overheating problem
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Cold Fussion wrote:

Open of your pc and vaccum up all the dust inside. This could be an overheating problem
Hmm...people might take that literally. Don't use a vacuum. Too much static. Use a can of compressed air (do it outside, if you don't want to get dust all over the place).

If you smoke, put on a pair of rubber gloves and prepare to peel layers of crap off your motherboard.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-04-18 16:29:42)

King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6595|Seattle

CHAO5 wrote:

do you mean i have to take out the dvd-drive or only the disk?
and whats about the virtual drives?
I would try swapping out your DVD or CD ROM Drive(s) for known working ones. They can cause IRQ conflicts and make your system do "random" crazy things like BSD or instant reboot, etc.

/Intels w/ HT work juuuuuuust fine

Last edited by King_County_Downy (2006-04-18 16:42:09)

CHAO5
+6|6678

King_County_Downy wrote:

I would try swapping out your DVD or CD ROM Drive(s) for known working ones. They can cause IRQ conflicts and make your system do "random" crazy things like BSD or instant reboot, etc.
ok thanks, i'll try it..
but shouldnt i see the IRQ-Conflicts in the event-viewer from windows?
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6640|Deep In The South Of Texas
Hate to sound like a broken record, but what kind of PSU do you have?
walyl135
i forgot to ask cos i just assumed that you have XP but wat OS do you have
CHAO5
+6|6678
Windows XP pro
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6595|Seattle

CHAO5 wrote:

King_County_Downy wrote:

ok thanks, i'll try it..
but shouldnt i see the IRQ-Conflicts in the event-viewer from windows?
Sometimes...

I've seen it come up as completely different warnings and error mesages in the event viewer and just just seem to be all over the place and rarely giving the same message twice which makes it very difficult to figure out what is wrong. This may not be the problem with your machine, but it's a very easy first step which could save you a lot of time.

Last edited by King_County_Downy (2006-04-19 09:26:52)

stevio
+2|6654|UK
I'd go with general klink on this one.... I find that rarely is it a hardware problem and in the first instance always check software before wasting money on new hardware when your current system is capable!! AMD may be the preference of some but that doesnt mean intel processors arent capable!

Initially you should try all of the various scanning programs suggested above, then if you have it turned on try reverting back to an earlier system restore point in XP... you can do this via XP help and support... if this still doesnt help , and your confident enough, have the required OS discs etc and have somewhere to backup your data try a system reinstall from scratch... you should be able to boot from your XP CD and start there...

If you do reinstall OS etc... backup backup backup!! theres nothing worse than losing all your data or emails or whatever!!

hope it helps and good luck!
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6595|Seattle

My only point is that hardware is much quicker to check. scans take 4 evAr!!
If you have, or could borrow a cd rom, it might save you a lot of time.
CHAO5
+6|6678
OK, thanks for the tips..
i took out my dvd-rom-drive and tryed it (no changes, same fucking freezes)
Yesterday, i reinstalled and reformated my whole pc... reinstalled bf2 and all nessecary drivers and directx 9..
I tryed a 20-minute-single-player-session.. without freeze or other problems. (damn, the bots are stupid!!!)

@The Stillhouse Kid: sorry, i forgot your question.. i have a 300W psu. Do you think there is too less power?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard