arson
+99|6638|New York

atlvolunteer wrote:

arson wrote:

atlvolunteer wrote:

That's bullshit.  So it's okay to crack on everybody else, but not on muslims?  Its called Freedom of Speech.  Nobody has the right to not be offended.  That is something we are forgetting in this age of Political Correctness.
Theres a bigger picture to think about. Exactly who's age of political correctness are you referring to, the offenders or those being offended?
HUH?  Look, there's a little thing called freedom of speech in this country.  This fundamental right is being limited by Political Correctness.  Like I said before, there is no contitutional right to not be offended.
And answer me this question: why is it okay to make fun of Jesus and Christianity, but not Muslims or Mohammed?
First of all I never said it was ok to make fun of Jesus and Christianity. If this is how you feel and act thats your business. It does look  like you forgot that there is another culture  involved...or is it that you just don't care about that side of the coin?  The original poster asked about opinions on this and I stick by mine, that not showing the cartoon was the right thing to do.  My opinion was based on the fact that people lost their lives over this. The loss of life seems more important to me than cheap entertainment.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6773|Atlanta, GA USA

arson wrote:

atlvolunteer wrote:

arson wrote:

Theres a bigger picture to think about. Exactly who's age of political correctness are you referring to, the offenders or those being offended?
HUH?  Look, there's a little thing called freedom of speech in this country.  This fundamental right is being limited by Political Correctness.  Like I said before, there is no contitutional right to not be offended.
And answer me this question: why is it okay to make fun of Jesus and Christianity, but not Muslims or Mohammed?
First of all I never said it was ok to make fun of Jesus and Christianity. If this is how you feel and act thats your business. It does look  like you forgot that there is another culture  involved...or is it that you just don't care about that side of the coin?  The original poster asked about opinions on this and I stick by mine, that not showing the cartoon was the right thing to do.  My opinion was based on the fact that people lost their lives over this. The loss of life seems more important to me than cheap entertainment.
Well, I guess we should always just give the Muslims what they want.  Then we'll never have to worry about them rioting and killing people.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6648

arson wrote:

atlvolunteer wrote:

arson wrote:

Muslim extremists go kill people and you blame the CARTOON??!! Now that is ignorant.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6664|USA

atlvolunteer wrote:

arson wrote:

atlvolunteer wrote:

Well, I guess we should always just give the Muslims what they want.  Then we'll never have to worry about them rioting and killing people.
I second that. Lets not bend to anyone except the Muslims. That will solve our world issues. Everyone step on eggshells around these psychotics.

A little bit of rationality can go a loooooooooong way.....
sfg-Ice__
+4|6655
If you can't laugh at yourself, how do you enjoy your life?  Why do people have to take this stuff so seriously?  I mean really, do you think jesus would go around and crap on people?  No.  Its just there to laugh at.  If you take offence to such things then, in my opnion, your way too sensitive.
HeavyMetalDave
Metal Godz
+107|6659|California
Ummmm.....

Who's this Mohammed guy anyway?

seriously-HMD
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

HeavyMetalDave wrote:

Ummmm.....

seriously-HMD
You're joking, right?

Please tell me you're joking.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6849|San Francisco

HeavyMetalDave wrote:

Ummmm.....

seriously-HMD
He's quite obviously the Muslim Prophet with the powers of flame!
Fuzzball_the_Shooter
The Photographer.
+81|6706|Central Valley,California
So they can't show a picture of Muhamed, even if it's on a cartoon.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Fuzzball_the_Shooter wrote:

Yeah.

I think shariah law says that you can't depict Mohammed (or ANYONE, for that matter) in any form. So no photos, no paintings, drawings etc.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6849|San Francisco

Well, the really ironic part is that he was shown all throughout the Super Best Friends episode (that I linked to in my last post) and there was no problem then...

Spark wrote:

Yeah.

I think shariah law says that you can't depict Mohammed (or ANYONE, for that matter) in any form. So no photos, no paintings, drawings etc.
Well, the point that Matt and Trey make pretty clear is that Muslim's are not supposed to depict Mohammed.

Basically this is just an excuse for a minority of radical Muslim's to raise a big stink.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645

Spark wrote:

Yeah.

not all muslims follow sharia law.  its in the qur'an that any depiction of muhammad is forbidden.  But,  alot of people say that it wasnt always this way, sometime during the 12th century when wahadism rose in the arabian pennisular.  Wahadism was just a way for corrupt religous clerics twisting and defining the words of the quran to the own political agendas.  That was the begining of all that jihad religious martydom crap.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6843|Cologne, Germany

Well, freedom of speech is one thing, deliberately hurting someone else's religious feelings is something totally different. With freedom of speech comes responsibility. Moreover, there is a difference between satire and insult, and I believe the law reckognizes that, even in the US.

The only reason Stone and Parker were allowed to mock Jesus and christianity in earlier episodes was that most people in the US have a more liberal view on their religion and don't take themselves so seriously. But I bet my ass that there were conservative christian groups who protested the depiction of Jesus during earlier episodes.

I am all for promoting democratic values like freedom of speech, but I think Comedy Central made a wise choice here. They knew this was a touchy issue at the time and they wanted to make sure that episode wouldn't become the next source for rioting and possibly more deaths. what's wrong with that ?
They even might show the episode when tensions around this issue have cooled down.

In the end, this is not a freedom-of-speech issue. It was a business decision.
Sambuccashake
+126|6612|Sweden
Side track:
If you can't depict Mohammed in any form, how do the muslims know it's actually him in the cartoons?
Erkut.hv
+124|6737|California

B.Schuss wrote:

But I bet my ass that there were conservative christian groups who protested the depiction of Jesus during earlier episodes.
Did you see anyone in the streets calling for the death of Trey and Matt? Or burning shit down?

A 7th century religioon needs to get it's ass to the 21st real quick if it wants to survive.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6843|Cologne, Germany

Erkut.hv wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

But I bet my ass that there were conservative christian groups who protested the depiction of Jesus during earlier episodes.
Did you see anyone in the streets calling for the death of Trey and Matt? Or burning shit down?

A 7th century religioon needs to get it's ass to the 21st real quick if it wants to survive.
oh, I absolutely agree. The only question is wether it will come to that. Right now, there doesn't seem to be much pressure on Islam to change. I also wonder what we are supposed to do in case there is no change..

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard