REYKON
+8|6600
Yeah..

am I missing something here?

ASUS P4C800 E-Deluxe
P4 w/ HT @ 3.0ghz
ATi Radeon 9800XT 256mb
1 gig of ram (generic)

- on lowest settings (100% viewing scale)
- 1024x768 Resolution
- CRT
- Catalyst 6.3
- SP2

and i get upon average 20-30 FPS
in a single player game of a small 16 player map i get 35 FPS.

Ive tried reformating. Omega Drivers. Various BIOS settings (APS, DRAM etc), GAMEXP, Defraging.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

Last edited by REYKON (2006-04-11 22:50:12)

CC-Marley
+407|6838
My old 9700pro got 45+fps with a P4 2.53,1gig 533 rdram at 1024x768. Much better at 800x600 though. So my guess is that you have programs in the background lagging the game up. Try here-> http://gear.ign.com/articles/626/626714p2.html
REYKON
+8|6600
nope. i tried following the TuneXP stuff and its settings. didnt help. honestly, i am going to go "office space" on my computer if i dont figure out this problem

With my current settings and parts. i get 861 on 3DMARK06. 431 for sm2.0 and 552 for my CPU score. i dont have anyone to really compare to, so please tell me if that is decent or horrible. I also get 89 on Steam's Stress Test on Counter-Strike Source.
ridetohell
+10|6604
Do u have MSN or any other chat programs because i find that they cause my pc to lag when using both
REYKON
+8|6600
i use gaim (third party aim) while in game. nothing else.
Rugmonster
+1|6746
I recently had Windows die on me. Following a good reinstall, BF2 seems to be running much better. I have a 9800XT w/ Athlon64 3200, 1GB PC3200. If you don't want to go to that, I would suggest you kill off Gaim while playing (last I checked, it was using about 26MB of memory), kill off all unnecessary services (Right-click My Computer->Manage->Services and Applications->Services) and run a good spyware/adware scan. Also, defrag your hard drive (not so much for FPS, but good to do occasionally) and take a look at what's in your Startup folder in your Start Menu. Also, kill everything you can that is running in the notification area. A lot of real memory hogs can be hanging out down there. Steam and the EA Downloader both tend to run at around 20MB of memory usage just sitting there.

I close everything I can and have minimal services running. Since I don't have any other Windows machines on the network that I need to share files with, I don't run the Computer Browser service. I turned off all the wireless stuff since this thing does have a wireless nic. Security Center is gone. Secondary Logon and Fast User Switching is off. All of that stuff. I don't even run Antivirus on here because I do all of my web stuff in Linux. My Windows install is only there for BF2 and the rare times my wife needs to write a paper for school in Word (for grammar check).

A note on the killing services, if you see something you don't know about, do a google on the name of the service.

Oh yeah, one final thing. I use the drivers from omegadrivers.net. Have for a long time and get a pretty sizable increase in performance. I've also heard that HT can hurt game performance, so go into your BIOS and disable it and see if that helps at all. Best of luck!

Last edited by Rugmonster (2006-04-12 17:37:15)

PunkX
stoned
+198|6633|Canada
lmfao..

my 5800 gets me 30 on a good day, rofl.....

drivers? defective? buttsecks?
REYKON
+8|6600
hmm definitely buttseks cuz thats obviously a problem with my computer. but thanks for trying. I will try turning off gaim, HT and all that random stuff you told me to do.  but IMHO probably wont do much. i have reformated to no avail. i didnt get any boost in frames or anything.

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE 9800XT...TELL ME
- what processor you have (AMD/INTEL)
- your settings for BF2
- and your frames (renderer.drawfps 1  in the in-game console)

oh yeah... for omega drivers... can i install the omega drivers over my cat 6.3?
Gulf_War_Syndrome
OMG ERYX HAX!
+62|6688|Adelaide, Australia
I have a 9800XT...

AMD Athlon XP-Mobile @ 2.4GHz (218MHz x 11)
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200-C2 @ 218MHz

Catalyst 6.2's, but no SP2 on my Windows XP.

I run 1600x1200, low texture, low terrain, low lighting, no shadows, no AA. Medium effects. High geometry.

Maximum FPS is around 70, average 50, minumum would be on the stairs in Sharqui TV station, around 25-30FPS.

I would expect your CPU should be your bottleneck, but I would still expect some better frame rates that what you're reporting.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6780|AUS, Canberra
i got a 9550 in one comp and even it gets 35 fps.
Mr.Pieeater
+116|6634|Cherry Pie
I usually get 27 to 35 fps on my setup (check sig), I'm running at 1600x1200 with 20% on high, 60% on medium and 20% on low quality.  The frame rate is the same at 1280x1024, I don't know why.  But My normal fps is just fine for me, unless there is a lot of action going on, then it might get bad.
A=10
+-2|6796|U.K DURHAM
put another gig of ram in mate if that dont work you need to look at your settings if i was you.
gblanco
Viva Mexico
+15|6772
Use more RAM
at least 1.5 Gb
mjw
The All Rounder
+22|6768|Rotherham, England
RAM shouldn't be an issue with FPS, it only really effects loading times.

I definetely agree with trying to get rid of some stuff in the background, as this is probably the cause.
Its not so much about how much memory it uses, rather than how many processes your CPU is doing in the backgorund.
Go into taskmanager and into the processes tab and post how many you have going, that should tell us whether you have too many or not. Just as a guideline anything over 35 processes is quite high unless you have a super powerful CPU (which you have not- no offense intended).
gblanco
Viva Mexico
+15|6772

mjw wrote:

I made a test about this and when I added more ram there was a big difference in graphics performance.
I don't remember checking FPS.
But I think he needs more RAM anyway.
At least 1.5 to really enjoy graphics quality.
mjw
The All Rounder
depends how much ram you have really, if you have a stupidly low amount  it will obviously be a problem.
but as far as i know having 1 GB of RAM will not limit your graphics performance, its the processor and GPU that are the causes.
For example i know 2 guys in our clan, who both have 1gb of ram but they have decent AMD processors (always go AMD for gaming) and they both have fairly mid-lower range GPU's and they have no problems at all with running BF2 on mid-low settings and getting a solid 30-40 FPS.

I would definetely look towards the proccessor in this instance as it looks more likely to be the issue.
The reason i say "go AMD for games" is that raw processing power (what intel go for) doesn't really matter unless your trying to do video editing, rendering all that type of stuff.
All benchmark tests show that the AMD equilavent processor of Intel's are always better in games.
64 bit processors also help when it comes to gaming, as they offer "blistering performance in 32 bit applications" (quote taken from AMD website).
I see all too often when people say "oooh look at my 3.6GHZ Intel, it owns" when in actual fact the same AMD processor would run at only 2.2-2.4 GHZ and would completely piss all over it in games.
Cerberus666
+4|6563
i got a 9700 pro as well, only its completely screwed. lol. Tried everything, overclocking, underclocking, new drivers, old drivers, always the same problem...oh same thing happens in CSS and Far Cry

http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?imag … ed24tz.png

However before the screwed GFX i was running 1024x768 everything low apart from High Geometry and max view distance. Never got a high framerate though - 25/30 at most but major GFX lag down to about 3 FPS, sometimes freezing for a few seconds forcing me to crash heli's / planes

Spec:
3.4Ghz pentium 4
1Gb RAM - only 133mhz though
9700 pro 128mb (messed up)

Well f*** that im gonna go buy an X1300 512MB AGP card instead i really cant b assed with the 9700 anymore...

Last edited by Cerberus666 (2006-05-20 07:45:56)

CC-Marley
+407|6838
Dont get the 1300. Go 7800 gs for agp.
MuseSeeker
2142 Soldier: Behenaut
+110|6785|EUR
Nope. Its fine. My 6600gt gets 30fps on lowest settings.
CackNBallz
+45|6752|Toronto, Canada

mjw wrote:

That's not completely true.  It is much faster to access RAM than it is to read from a harddrive.  The more RAM you have to more information you can store at one time.  BF2 seems to perform the best with at least 2 GB of RAM.

Windows takes up at least a few hundred MB of RAM just to function, GAIM will take a little more, all those other processes running in the background add up to having just a few hundred MB of RAM left for BF2.

The biggest thing you'll notice once you upgrade to 2 or more GB of RAM is that verification loading times drop dramatically, as well as the initial stutter disappears or is present for a shorter time at the beginning of a round.

Another thing that will hamper your framerate is using onboard sound.  Are you using onboard sound or a soundcard?  Once I installed a soundcard, my framerate jumped a dozen frames per second (and the sound was much better.)

So upgrade to 2 GB of RAM and get a soundcard if you don't already have one.
mjw
The All Rounder
i understand that having 2GB of RAM is better, that is obvious but i know for a fact that BF2 runs perfectly well on  1GB of RAM.
Besides the "proccesses in the background" that you refer to, usually suck a bit of juice out of your CPU rather than effecting your RAM all that much.
Obviously as i said before, RAM is an issue but in this particular case i would definetely try and close some processes down, uninstall some crap of your system, delete temporary files, defrag your hard drive etc...
Then if your problem still isn't fixed, you will have to make a choice about some new hardware. Whether it be a new CPU or some more RAM (quicker RAM is also a good idea aswell-try and get some with low latencies).

I will mention again though, that atleast 2 of my clanmates only have 1GB of RAM with fairly low spec machines and can still run BF2 pretty good with settings turned down.
DSRTurtle
+56|6695

REYKON wrote:

i use gaim (third party aim) while in game. nothing else.
Add some ram and kill gaim.
hiimkalaKILLME
+24|6566
i have radeon x700 pro, i heard that is pretty shitty but no lag whats ever during game with xfire on and im on......graphics on medium and i have 2 gigs of ram.......is that good?
Kaleja
+0|6561
Random question -- what is your AGP aperture set to in your BIOS? I have an NVidia card, so YMMV, but when I upped the aperture from 32MB to 256MB on mine, performance improved noticeably. I have a 512MB card and 2GB of RAM, so you probably don't want to go to 256MB aperture -- 128MB is probably closer to ideal for you.
oberst_enzian
+234|6752|melb.au
i have a n00b question: can anyone point me in the direction of an equivalence chart of some kind, comparing ati and nvidia cards? i.e. what a 6600 might be equivalent in the ati range, and so forth?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard