Flanker
+3|6592
I'm doing a business (Commerce, to be exact) degree at university and it has got me thinking... is it possible that playing as commander or squad leader can lead to improving your teamwork and leadership skills, if only slightly ?

i mean, the only difference (assuming that the team is as motivated as you are) between this game and the real world is that all communication is done by VoIP. so it seems to me that if while playing you focus on managing the team in the best possible way with the most appropriate techniques you will learn something about your strengths and weaknesses in leadership and you can improve yourself. what do you guys think?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708
i say hell yeah
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

No.
sparklet
Banned
+34|6740|stop corecting my grammer!!!!!
no cuz them drunk guys wont listen to u only play fer points
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

sparklet wrote:

And, there is zero consequence if you don't listen and do what you want.
blacksheepcannibal
+24|6744

usmarine2005 wrote:

sparklet wrote:

And, there is zero consequence if you don't listen and do what you want.
There are no direct negative concequences, like an Art. 15, no, but there is the reward that playing as a cooperative team with rank and structure has a definite advantage, with longer life, more kills, and a higher effectiveness towards winning.

*Absolute* best squad I was in, was (im pretty sure at least) 5 other actual US Marines. The squad leader they continuously called "Corporal" (was indeed a Corp.) and they followed his orders to a T. If he said jump, they said how high. They also called Medics Corpsman, which I found amusing. Hands down the best squad I have been on, and I have been playing since last June. Oddly enough they alsos staggered their movement, advancing one at a time with the rest of them covering.

So leadership wise, if your squad is following you, I can really see how it could help you. BF2 in general does require more thought than it initially seems; you have to continually track threats, allocate your resources, strategize to both survive, and to inflict damage on the enemy, *and* do all this quickly, while maintaining your mobility. Throw in the added curve of keeping track of your squads strengths, weaknesses, location, group strategy, and the overall view of the battlefield, and you have alot to think about, although you dont really *think* about it.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

I would say it helps people use teamwork more than anything else.
My_pet_squirrel
Have you seen my nutz?
+126|6612

usmarine2005 wrote:

I would say it helps people use teamwork more than anything else.
I Second that
Psycho~*DS*~
Banned
+50|6591
It's a game morons. There is no correlation between this and real life. That's like saying you all can go to war now because you know how to shoot a gun in a video game.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

Psycho~*DS*~ wrote:

It's a game morons. There is no correlation between this and real life. That's like saying you all can go to war now because you know how to shoot a gun in a video game.
Have you ever used teamwork while playing the game?
Rosse_modest
+76|6768|Antwerp, Flanders

Psycho~*DS*~ wrote:

I can. Based on my ingame K/D ration I'll be able to kill 1.30 enemies before I die.
DebonairXcel
+40|6605|Minnesota
I'd have to agree that it is "somewhat" transferable if you choose, between concentrating on a plethora of variables as stated by Blacksheep, as well as the leadership that is required to "MAKE" an effective squad/command and have your orders followed does require tricks of the trade that can be incorporated into the business world.  Mind you, I only respect non-profit business even if there is a level of necessity for self/group gain.  That said, how do you suppose you get players to join a squad, how do you advertise to them to get them to join your squad, how do you make them feel valued and effective regardless of skill?  And mind you, how can you build rapport and trust in your "orders/requests"?  It is the same regardless, any child can make a squad and will occassionally get lucky to have a few "followers" join in and do some effective damage.  But how does one do that consistently with/without a clan...?
Citizen One
한국 공주
+338|6641|South Korea.
"START CLEANING OR ILL FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN!"
Lt.Goldman
BF2s EU Server Admin (RETIRED)
+330|6654|The Netherlands
Ontopic:  No,  but having leadership skills in real life can help you in bf2

DebonairXcel wrote:

1. how do you suppose you get players to join a squad
2. how do you advertise to them to get them to join your squad.
3. how do you make them feel valued and effective regardless of skill?
4. how can you build rapport and trust in your "orders/requests"?
5. how does one do that consistently with/without a clan...?
1. Make a squad and talk on VOIP to everyone who joins and show real teamwork.
2. Make a squad with a custom name...
3. Respect everyone. Praise them for something good, give advise if they do something wrong
4. Lead by example... you can't force anyone.  you have to earn respect !
5. Play on the same server a lot with the same people

I'm a Squadleader on The official Ranked BF2s.com European server for a few weeks now
My squad TEAMWORK or BF2s is full everytime I play, and most of the time we are the best squad at the end of the round

some comments:

EDIT: based on DebonairXcel comment below, I removed the comments (no ego boosting was intended)

Last edited by Lt.Goldman (2006-04-09 15:15:13)

DebonairXcel
+40|6605|Minnesota
The questions weren't in list format because they were rhetorical.  Oh well, can't express that in written format without saying it ;-).  Anyhow, the tips Goldman posted are good, albeit the credentials seem equally designed to help with the discussion and boost the ego, still- all in all, nice response and I'm glad someone gets it. 

And I still am adament that players can learn these skills through bf2, albeit that it is rare as it requires autonomous reflection.  But my point is that, if you happen to learn some confidence, leadership, and charisma in a video game it can be transfered.  EX: a young introverted player, eventually joins a clan because of her skill, through the game interactions, she learns social skills to work with a team.  She then feels more confident in her interactions with others, at least from a faceless perspective, and can apply that leadership perhaps in writing, then eventually in open-conversation.  Granted that is an extreme scenario, and it doesn't take into consideration RW interactions, but the point is the same, leadership is transferable.  That is not a yes-always, nor a never response, it is moderate.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6766|Noizyland

I reckon it can, but not much. It's kind of like those teambuilding exercises that those balding corporates do every now and then.

Still, don't try and put anything BF2 related on your CV.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
dubbs
+105|6624|Lexington, KY
I did not read the post so sorry if this was said already.

Is this suppose to be a retorical (sp) question?  Commander leading in BF2?  To lead you need people to follow you.  Since people do not follow you in the game, then no, it does not help.

Edit:

That is like saying that because you drive well in a racing game, you will be good at it in real life.

Last edited by dubbs (2006-04-08 21:08:13)

Flanker
+3|6592
-offtopic-

dubbs wrote:

That is like saying that because you drive well in a racing game, you will be good at it in real life.
Ask Jeremy Clarkson, he did a Top Gear ep where he played Gran Turismo on PS2 then went to the real world track and tried to beat his PS2 score. Also, I'm sure Formula 1 drivers and drivers from many other disciplines practice on consoles before going out on the real world track. Plus there's pilots and ms flight simulator too.

I've also heard real soldiers on the news comment on how playing some FPS (the REAL ones like CSS) is training for real life, and that once you get hold of a real gun you are way ahead of someone who has never played an FPS.
BVC
+325|6687
I've heard of several fps games who have seemed like naturals when they've first picked up a real gun.  I believe it could also help you get used to taking in larger amounts on information quickly.  Also, the other day when I was in a fish'n'chip shop, I recognised the owner saying "thank you" to another customer in chinese, thanks to BF2
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708
the best game that i played w/ best teamwork - AMERICAS ARMY
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Rakasan
+7|6829|California, USA
Hell no!  Talking to peeps over VOIP is different than in person.

Last edited by Rakasan (2006-04-09 03:41:19)

Flanker
+3|6592
how often do you talk to peeps in person in real life though? for a lot of jobs it is hardly ever.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard