Chef
+2|6619
I will say sorry now coz i might swear as this problem has been pissing me off now for about 2 weeks

i am fully patched up to date and i have all the expantions packs,  I am still getting red servers but that i can handle as there are so many out there just strange as i have everything why are there red servers.

Now to get to the point.  I join a server with a nice low ping a about 15-50 (this is so i know it is not ping or lag related) i start play all is well and then i get kicked BOMB.  And the message i get is

General PB Client Authentication Failure.  If this problem continues reinstall PB

Now the only install of PB i have came as a part of bf2 i have searched my hard drive for anything that could be the root of this problem and i have also looked on there website but found nothing.

Please is there anyone that  has had this problem or knows how i can fix it??????? coz it is doing my fucking head in

thank you

Chef
Breez
AKA: badhq
+937|6602|Derby, England

Easy solved problem Bro all you need2 do is manulay Update PB is it windows version you using ? If so i will post you back, PB Updater we made so it will save you time doing it all manualy let me know Peace Boris

if you do wana update PB manualy this is how you doit

1. go to http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=dl-bf2.php

2. save this file http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/bf2/pbsec.htm In following directory
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\pb\htm and save it there

do the same for this File http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/bf2/wc001227.htm

and this file http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/bf2/wa001365.htm

Now get out of htm folder and go to dll folder located
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\pb\dll
and save the folowing file there

http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/bf2/pbsvnew.dll

all the above will manulay update your PB for windows if you using lunix version do the same but save the other files isntead if you having problem Still let me know and i will make custom PB updater so you don't have 2 mess around with it

I houpe this will help you with your problem peace bro Boris
Chef
+2|6619
the version i am using is throught bf2 that came with the game i have not installed it indivually

i have instslled the files and will keep you updated with what happens thank you again
Breez
+937|6602|Derby, England

Chef wrote:

the version i am using is throught bf2 that came with the game i have not installed it indivually

i have instslled the files and will keep you updated with what happens thank you again
I think you will be fine now if you did what i sead above Peace Boris
ssonrats
+221|6615
Yeah i hear ya,

Iv'e recently encountered this problem aswell, i reinstalled my bf2 and it was ok for a couple of days then that annoying message appears and i get kicked.
I also updated my punkbuster and it hasn't fixed the problem.
chrissy1668
+3|6572
we are all having the same problem, i have manually installed punkbuster but it didnt do any good, the problem appears to be with AOL users only and affecting several games not just bf2, i have been in contact with punkbuster and they confirm that it is AOL users only, this is what i have been told by them. 03/28/2006 14:50:22 - "Hendrik Thole" 
Note #2: I am getting a number of AOL users that are having Auth issues with PB. I do not think this is just a coincidence. Please contact AOL and state that you are having issues with PB packets being dropped or filtered and that you are unable to play your games because of it. I will be looking more into this. But I don't think it is on our end.
then this is a follow up,03/29/2006 14:19:58 - "Stuart Dunsmore  it really seems AOL related.. We have not changed anything. This problem is spanning multiple games. BF2, AA, ET, RTCW, etc. All AOL users. An auth issue means that the PB client was unable to communicate with the PB server. Now, it would not be a total loss, there is a different kick if NOTHING got to the server (No Packet Flow). So it seems selective packets are being dropped or blocked. Likely the auth packet itself. Is this issue on all servers? Other AOL users are reporting that it happens on one server.  i hope this helps other users that are having the same problem, also i have heard that BT are upgrading most of the BT exchanges on the 31st march and since i get my AOL through my BT phone line i am wondering if this is related to the problem
pokerplaya
want to go heads up?
+11|6704|cairns australia
aol lol. watch this
Click here to watch aol78
chrissy1668
+3|6572
i have contacted AOL about the problem again and this is what they have said,   AOL Technical Support
This information should get you back online. Some AOL members are experiencing Packet Loss while accessing\playing games online. This problem is due to the change in the time zones to BST (British Summer Time)currently the US will not change their Daylight Savings Time until the 2nd of April. You can change the time zone on the router to BST but be advised you will have to change it back on the 2nd of April.

The problem should fix itself on the second of April but if you want to play online before then the steps above will gat you back online. The number for Thompson Speedtouch is
0906 302 2114  [50p min 8am 7:30 pm ].

Note Online Gamming in not something that AOL would support as these are 3rd party applications.

hope this helps all of you who are having the same problem
cailuc
Friendly fire isn't
+36|6589
Have been chatting with AOl this morning apparantly most servers run with a MTU of 1500 but the AOL network runs at 1400 MTU, most servers recognise the AOL speed and adjust accordingly, however some servers dont and these are the ones we AOL users are probably getting kicked from. 

By the way the MTU is the maximum ethernet packet size your pc can send.

AOl suggets manually adjusting the MTU to 1400 to solve the problem using some tweaking software, here is their advice....

What is an MTU setting and how can I change it?

MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) defines the largest data packet size you can transmit in one go across a network. Any messages larger than the MTU are divided into smaller packets before being sent. The industry standard follows the principle that in order to transmit the largest amount in one go, an MTU should be set to a high value, such as 1500.

However, the AOL network runs at an MTU of 1400. Many routers have inbuilt auto-configurations where the hardware identifies that the AOL traffic has an MTU of 1400 and dynamically adjusts. If the router hardware does not have this facility, the MTU setting can manually be changed on the PC.

This manual adjustment can be achieved by using DrTCP, a software utility which is basically a shortcut to editing your registry and is available online at the following Web site: http://www.broadbandreports.com/drtcp.

Personally I think I will stick to those servers that punkbuster does not kick me from, the problem only appears to be with a few.
cailuc
Friendly fire isn't
+36|6589
Just seen your post 'Chrissy', you must have been typing it when I was doing the above, hope thats the answer its alot easier than the one they suggested to me. 

Will wait a few days to see what happens.....
chrissy1668
+3|6572
different to what AOL told me this morning, are we getting palmed off here?
cailuc
Friendly fire isn't
+36|6589
Certainly sounds like it, their usual effective customer support it appears
Bozzy46
+0|6637
did the manual pb update and no joy, anyone got this sorted?
Has anyone tried the DrTCP thing and solved the problem?
ssonrats
+221|6615
i ran the drcp thing and it didn't solve the problem.
ssonrats
+221|6615
13:26:49Preethi May i know what happens? 

13:27:05You Hi there, Ihave been playing online games now for about 5 months using AOL gold but recently i keep getting kicked off servers via the Punkbuster program it operates on   

13:27:41You I have been on a couple of forums and it's just AOL members experiencing these problems   

13:28:14You any help? 

13:28:17Preethi Are you using a router?

13:28:39You no a dsl modem   
13:28:53You usb adsl modem

13:29:09PreethiI would be glad to help you with that. Please hold on a moment   

13:29:26You the bt voyager 105

13:31:17PreethiI suggest you check the physical connection   

13:31:33You no it's all ok   

13:31:41PreethiIt is very important that all devices in use have a filter plugged into them, and there is no telephone extension lead between you and the socket. A tutorial on how to set up the physical connections correctly, can be found here: http://www.aol.co.uk/help/tutorial/phys … tions.html 

13:32:08You there all plugged in correctly

13:33:01Preethi May I know waht web site you go to access this game.   

13:34:02You It isn't on a web site it's on a cd
but it's an online game

13:35:02PreethiThen I suggest you will have to contact the webmaster of the game to get this resolved.

13:36:25You no, i know this problem is AOL related you can even check the forum i went on if you want

13:36:51You An auth issue means that the Punkbuster client was unable to communicate with the PB server. Now, it would not be a total loss, there is a different kick if NOTHING got to the server (No Packet Flow). So it seems selective packets are being dropped or blocked

13:37:10You that was an extract from the message on the forum

13:37:38You does this make any sense to you?

13:37:41Preethi Only if you are using a router to connect to AOL , you will face this issue- not with the modem.

13:38:24You No honestly iv'e got the BT Voyager modem

13:40:42Preethi As this game is not hosted in the AOL server , I apologize, we cannot offer technical assistance with this game.
Bozzy46
+0|6637
I am using AOL Platinum 2mb Broadband with the BT Voyager 105 DSL Modem, i have 2 phone sockets in my house and both are fitted with the DSL filters AOL Provided.
I have uninstalled BF2 and re-patched it up to Version 1.22 and now every time i join a server i am kicked  within a couple of minutes for the same reason, General Punkbuster Authentification Error please re-intall in the problem persists.
I have uninstalled Punkbuster then Re-installed it with no change, i tried the manual update as mentioned earlier in this thread by Badhq, i have also run the pbsteup to automatically update my punkbuster but still the problem remains.
Can't picture this weekend without any BF2!!! Please help!!
cailuc
Friendly fire isn't
+36|6589
I have the same setup as you bozzy, 2meg connection, voyager etc on AOL.  What I've been doing is playing on mainly the Linux servers, the one with the little yellow icon (supposed to be a penguin)

I might be imagining it but I appear to get kicked a lot less on these servers by Punkbuster, I think its something to do with the way the Linux severs verify data, they tend to load quicker as well, might be wrong but been playing BF2 EF all afternoon with no probs on a dutch server.

Just shop around and add the ones you dont get kicked from to your favourites; after all you find out in about a minute if you are going to be kicked. 

You soon get a bit of a list together, I've found about twenty that run with no probs so far all Linux or 64 server icons.  Will do for now until the clocks change or AOL admit there is a problem and sort it.
Bozzy46
+0|6637
Cheers cailuc, i actually tried the DrTCP thing earlier added 1500 in the MTU space in the bottom right hand corner of the window and tried the same servers i was being kicked from earlier and i had no problems?
Dunno mate maybe i was lucky but all i did was go to this link http://www.broadbandreports.com/drtcp then i clicked on the DRTCP0021.zip and hit open,  then i opened the .exe file and up pops Dr. TCP (windows 200/XP) in the bottom right hand corner is a blank box with MTU on the left of it. i typed in 1500 in that box then clicked save and voila i was able to play the games i wasn't earlier.
Hope this helps you mate cos it was really gripping my shit this morning!
Thanks for everyones help here!
Rock On!
CloneK
+0|6737
Heres another fix posted elsewere on the forum, might solve the problem for some others out there

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=13511

Hope it helps
Breez
+937|6602|Derby, England

ok I was thinking what could do this and i tought do you guys have firewall enabled if so try disabling your firewall on windows and on desktop see if that Helps
Chef
+2|6619
when i started this post i never expected this sort of feed back it is cool

All i have done is what the first reply said.

I too have AOL Platinum 2mb Broadband with the BT Voyager 105 DSL Modem, with no firewall, i have not been kick yet last few days so we willl see

All the MTU holly shit dude you know your shit!!!!!!!!! you lost me at MTU so i was not quite brave enough to even give that one a go
Bozzy46
+0|6637
I'm running zone alarm whilst the game is on without any problems Boris, so i guess it's definitely an AOL confliction? Cheers for your help !
Chef i did the manual update for punkbuster but it didn't help and i thought the DrTCP thing would be real complicated all this MTU and stuff but it's really easy and has worked for me and if i can get it working i tell ya.
So if anyone else has the same problem don't be put off by trying the DrTCP jobby! It takes less than a couple of minutes
chrissy1668
+3|6572
i have found an even easier way to sort this problem out, just double click your clock on the bottom right hand side select time zone and uncheck the automatically ajust clock for daylight savings box apply restart pc and bingo you can play without getting kicked, i should imagine you will have to change it back tomorrow though when usa time zone changes but it is working for me a treat
Chef
+2|6619
still no problems hear it seams that things are sort them selfves out for the time bit worried about the leader board though something strange people with far too many points i think hacking has opened its door

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard