-=1stInF.|Slappey
+3|6745

Vartan wrote:

I thank you for the enlightment, but at the same time, isn't it bittersweet? Being snipy about such a ridiculous thing while tolerating the abuse of the english grammar by other members?

Who told you this wasn't a typo? *nervous laugh

No worries, I like you.
The thought of it being a typo did cross my mind, but i thought i would just let you know. Altough i was not trying to be snipy(sorry if i can across that way), just trying to help ya out.  I don't care about people "abusing" the english language, being as this is an international forum, it's bound to happen.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6829
I don't care How the world sees us. Europe plunged us into World war twice. They gave us Genocide Holocaust Ethnic Cleansing. Asia Gave us the Death march and Death camps Re Education Camps and there Pretty good at massacring there own people .
       The Arabs are the ones who got the Worst deal from The U.S. and in Truth It was Great Britain who got the whole  " Promised / Stolen Land "  thing started more than the U.S. . I think the United states should stay Away from most world affairs. For instance, Let France, Germany and Italy solve Africa's problems. They created them to begin with.  Then Europeans can fine tune the World just as they had done 230 years ago before We existed as a Nation.
mikeshw
Radioactive Glo
+130|6829|A Small Isle in the Tropics

50 to 100 years ago, I would have agreed with Horseman's commentary. Unfortunately the world economies are all tied together now, and it is hard for the US to disengage itself from world affairs politically. Disengage from Mid-East, let them burn..yeah..and you will have rising gasoline prices, that will in turn hurt the American economy. Disengage from Asia, and you potentially lose a huge market, China. I don't think it is ever going to be easy for Americans to look the other way without looking at the potential impact to their own backyard, imho.
Cronjob
+1|6729|Broomfield, Colorado

mikeshw wrote:

I am curious about this. How do you folks see yourselves and your country as on the worldstage? I m interested in the responses from the Americans on this section of the forums. I will post my comment after reading a few, if there's any who care to respond.
I couldn't care less. I don't set, make or enforce the policies of my government and I have enough on my plate worrying about my career, family, friends, income, retirement, health and freedom (the keep the government and religious nuts out of my private life and out of my pocket book kind of freedom; not the bomb anyone that's brown for independance! kind of freedom).

Anyone that judges another person based on their nationality is a moron, anyway. There are great people from Canada, Kuwait, South Africa, Russia, Japan, China, Korea, the UK, France, South America and everywhere else. Their nationality has little to do with what kind of human being they are.

Anyone who is so wrapped up in jealousy of or hatred for America that they can't shut up about it and just be PEOPLE isn't someone I want to deal with anyway, so their opinion doesn't really matter. And, unlike most places in europe, I don't need to get along with everyone. I live in a country that is rather separated (both in age and geography) from almost every other place in the world. When people say American's are "unworldly" and "untraveled".... No shit. Sorry my country is one huge mass and we can't fly to eighteen other nations in just two hours...

If you recall the sentiment of the world just after 9/11 . . . that's the way things should be. My country screwed up that support and sentiment since then, but it really was an astonishing moment. A moment where you saw people all over the globe proclaim to be, themselves, "American" at that time. Where people from countries we make fun of for smelling or having bad teeth or being bad drivers or being wimps on our sit-coms and around water coolers offered support and wept and grieved alongside and for us. It was an amazing communal moment that I fear may never return, thanks to the powers that be. After all, there is nothing in it for the major powers of the world for the people of the world to get along. As long as we can be divided by borders, nationalities, politics, race, religion and "wars on terror", we can be controlled and shaped into lemmings. If you doubt this, just watch some of your cable news or read some typical political rags. It's all about promoting particular venomous ideologies and shaping people to dislike one group or another for superfluous reasons.

So how do I perceive my country on the world stage? I don't. Most american's would like to be part of a country that does good things for people around the world and is known as the helping-hand when times are tough -- but we rarely do that when it doesn't suit us (even though we do contribute more money to charity as a nation and as individual peopel than any other place on earth). We'd like to think of our country as a bastion of freedom and liberty and fairness and openness. But we're not.

So rather than worry about how the "country" is percieved, I'm more interested in being a likable, decent human being and perceived as such by other likable, decent human beings . . . regardless of their origin.
Bravery
+-1|6761
I'd love to know what the Brits think about themselves. I haven't met a Brit on a BF2 server, that hasn't been a complete asshole.
Cronjob
+1|6729|Broomfield, Colorado

Bravery wrote:

I'd love to know what the Brits think about themselves. I haven't met a Brit on a BF2 server, that hasn't been a complete asshole.
Therein lies your problem. Most people playing online games are assholes. Or, at least, they're assholes online.

Fortunately, I don't live in a bubble, so my profession lets me work side by side people from every country imaginable and they're all more or less the same. They all tend to have good individual work ethics, care about their family, enjoy your friendship, value freedom, practice their religion and in general try to care for themselves and those they love without hurting anyone else.

I'm really tired of asshats from every nation acting like they're wonderful people -- it's everyone else who is a complete asshat. Rather than going through life expecting everyone who doesn't worship the red white and blue (well, technically the brits do with their union jack) to be an asshole, just treat them like any other person. I sincerely doubt the brits you've met who were "assholes" were assholes because they were brittish anymore than all americans are assholes because you (for example - not an accusation) might be an asshole.

I mean . . . come on, people. Are we all twelve again?!
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6829
Some times I wonder Why We have " So much we can learn " 
from people who are still Developing there first Canoe.
I mean, it will be a Really swell canoe when they do make it but ..
their Entire Continent  hasn't made one Yet.
Yet we give them a Vote in the United Nations Equal to our own.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6635
yes
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

World police: hated by most, but called when borders are breached.

Bravery wrote:

Huh? Brits I've met online have been, for the most part, decent folks.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-04-18 16:47:12)

Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6638
We are the best, better than the rest. The world hates us because of this. That's a pretty general view of how most americans look at it.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS
O_o this is one old thread.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
FubarJonny
bUdSMoKEr
+47|6681

77th|1st Lt. Werstein wrote:

i love the USA, ill defend and give my life for it in a snap when needed

but i think the USA is a respectable country with respectable people...and i believe Americans think the same way towards people in England, Germany, France, and other countries
good words my brother long life the men and women in the United States Armed Forces and feel sorry for the dumb fucks who start shit with us. and Good Regards to The Honorable George W. Bush
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

Stasiek wrote:

Interesting but let me make a retort. Isn't it the responsibility of the citizen in a Democratic nation to know the decisions their leaders make and why?
Of course and if we didn’t know the reasons behind most of the decisions those leaders made the would not be in office. It is understandable for our Government to not tell the whole world every plan the US intends to make in the name of National Security. We have others who are elected to different committees to watch over what we cannot see. It is a system of checks and balances.
I can understand some resentment from the rest of the world but it often seems that we are damned in whatever decision we do... it's like why are we here or.... where are the Americans? Why is it that we are required to intervene in every world problem?

If you think this country falls into a blind obedience frame of mind you seriously do not understand the politics of this country. Every government official is constantly being scrutinized for every decision they make from both sides of the fence. I thought it was really that obvious.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS

Cronjob wrote:

mikeshw wrote:

I am curious about this. How do you folks see yourselves and your country as on the worldstage? I m interested in the responses from the Americans on this section of the forums. I will post my comment after reading a few, if there's any who care to respond.
I couldn't care less. I don't set, make or enforce the policies of my government and I have enough on my plate worrying about my career, family, friends, income, retirement, health and freedom (the keep the government and religious nuts out of my private life and out of my pocket book kind of freedom; not the bomb anyone that's brown for independance! kind of freedom).

Anyone that judges another person based on their nationality is a moron, anyway. There are great people from Canada, Kuwait, South Africa, Russia, Japan, China, Korea, the UK, France, South America and everywhere else. Their nationality has little to do with what kind of human being they are.

Anyone who is so wrapped up in jealousy of or hatred for America that they can't shut up about it and just be PEOPLE isn't someone I want to deal with anyway, so their opinion doesn't really matter. And, unlike most places in europe, I don't need to get along with everyone. I live in a country that is rather separated (both in age and geography) from almost every other place in the world. When people say American's are "unworldly" and "untraveled".... No shit. Sorry my country is one huge mass and we can't fly to eighteen other nations in just two hours...

If you recall the sentiment of the world just after 9/11 . . . that's the way things should be. My country screwed up that support and sentiment since then, but it really was an astonishing moment. A moment where you saw people all over the globe proclaim to be, themselves, "American" at that time. Where people from countries we make fun of for smelling or having bad teeth or being bad drivers or being wimps on our sit-coms and around water coolers offered support and wept and grieved alongside and for us. It was an amazing communal moment that I fear may never return, thanks to the powers that be. After all, there is nothing in it for the major powers of the world for the people of the world to get along. As long as we can be divided by borders, nationalities, politics, race, religion and "wars on terror", we can be controlled and shaped into lemmings. If you doubt this, just watch some of your cable news or read some typical political rags. It's all about promoting particular venomous ideologies and shaping people to dislike one group or another for superfluous reasons.

So how do I perceive my country on the world stage? I don't. Most american's would like to be part of a country that does good things for people around the world and is known as the helping-hand when times are tough -- but we rarely do that when it doesn't suit us (even though we do contribute more money to charity as a nation and as individual peopel than any other place on earth). We'd like to think of our country as a bastion of freedom and liberty and fairness and openness. But we're not.

So rather than worry about how the "country" is percieved, I'm more interested in being a likable, decent human being and perceived as such by other likable, decent human beings . . . regardless of their origin.
Well done. Your post proves your point perfectly.

However, this nationalism, this eugenic philosophy is rife in some Americans (against Europe. against Muslims etc.)
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard