hilltop_skater
Body Skater
+28|6616|Berra - Aus
When you select sniper kit Which gun is your favorite and is there any bullet drop if so does it vary between guns?
mrsnype
+1|6653|Oslo, Norway
I prefer the m24, havent gotten used to the new L96 yet, but it has a quicker reload time than the M95 so wil get into that someday.
The ubar guide gives detailed information about bullet drop, so check that out.
It depends on what type of sniper you are, as the semi-automatic MEC and PLA rifles suit some snipers better.
strangelove
HOBO SPIRIT
+77|6590|the side hatch
http://wiki.bf2s.com/weapons/sniper-rifles

and yes bullet drop does vary but no matter what anyone says you really have to use them and figure it out for yourself
Citizen One
한국 공주
+338|6619|South Korea.
The L96A1, it has massive velocity and is very conective. It wont glitch out on you either, and has fast reload.
[QXJZ]Capt_Kefra
Alright, you're good to go!
+124|6698|Honolulu, HI
Some people will rag on you if you prefer the Type 88 or SVD over the bolt-action snipers, because the nature of those rifles force players to get a little closer to the action than true lone-wolf marksmen.  Personally I use whatever the situation calls for.  For instance, at the beginning of a Sharqi map the M24/L96 makes more sense to use since the enemies are likely to be distant.  But once spawns get taken, especially if they're close, I might prefer the SVD.

But ah, I'm a horrible sniper anyway so don't listen to me.
SamuraiDogg
+2|6587|Germany | Nationality Turkish
At MIDDLE to LONG range i prefer the semi-auto SVD. Cause u can make easy headshots at enemys who stooding still at long range. At middle range u can handle walking people by rapid fire. U got also 10 bullets in ur clip. Especially if u see 3 or 4 enemys lyin on the ground u can take them quik down, couse u got no reload time. U just have to learn to handle the scope and the distance between the shots. I think armored enemys dont die by one headshot u need to hurt them a second time.

At LONG to VERY LONG to EXTREM LONG (enemys head is maybe just 4-8 pixels big)  range i take the L96. Its scope and accuracy are awesome.

For Bulletdrop: Just use them and learn - its not hard: Make a shot - look how mutch the bullet drops down and the re-aim. Btw: I think u got no Bulletdrop at long range. It starts first by a very long range.

Since the patch 1.20 the snipers are very well balanced and right now. Only the indestructible claymores or the owerpowerd accuracy of the PKM are real crap. Of cause, there is more balance crap since 1.20 but this is another topic.

Last edited by SamuraiDogg (2006-03-23 03:05:02)

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6590|Mhz

I have a habbit of always using the L96. Karkand & situations like it you should really be using the SVD.

Bullet drop does exist, despite what some complete no-brainers will tell you, but it's pretty slight. 150m you'll need to aim about 3 pixels higher than usual. theres a video on the files section shows you BD with an M95 over about a 200m range (personaly i dont like the M95 its big loud obvious and no stronger than any other bolt action sniper, slow reload all it does is ignore body armor [whoop de fucking doo] and shoots thru cockpit and humvee glass [rarely useful])

L96 is my fave, its basically the same as an M24, i think the BD is magrinally less on the L96 but I dont kno for sure as ive not tested, the scope crosshair on the L96 is finer which makes placing shots easier and the reload is very slightly quicker.
DebonairXcel
+40|6582|Minnesota
Shrug, I agree with Samurai Dogg in that it depends on the situation.  Though the trick to the bolt action rifles is to quickly switch to pistol if you only get a non-fatal body shot.  That is where the M95 makes it decisive improvement over the L96/M24 in anti-infantry combat, one pistol round versus 1-3+ (1 being for a headshot).  Plus, most wounded players brought down to 5/100 tend to run for the hills than try and face down the barrage of  pistol rounds. 

As for the autos, those things are by far and away the best for groups of infantry, and on levels like Karkand where the dust reduces visual range, it makes them far more effective than the bolt action.  Plus add in the high number of players, and likelyhood for server lag and the autos give you more leeway incase you miss.  But yeah, I think most folks have a thing against standard load outs because of how biased they used to be prior to 1.20.  But yeah, try and play with the regulars a bit, you may end up liking them more now.  :-)
drake666
when Hell is full...
+184|6680|austria
l96 long range! better crosshair than m96, thinner crosshair better headshotpossipossility!
wake longrangeshots from northbase too US Artillerieisland!

bulletdropp gets more with more distance :> m95 and l96 have same bulletdrop!

questions?
https://team-ex.de/imagehosting/daten/1323768139_m98b.png
Usque Ad Finem
strangelove
HOBO SPIRIT
+77|6590|the side hatch
these fellows pretty much said it all, i would learn on the svd and the 88 though...it's a lot easier to judge a shot when you can keep the hairs on the enemy, and a headshot is a headshot whether it's from a 50 cal or one of the weaker rifles

i did spend a lot of time with the m24 though and i learned to judge the distance and drop by the width of the crosshair (for example i knew that a long shot would take the entire width if the fat m24 hairs so i would just move it up till i could see the top of his head) so you may want to pick a gun and stick with it for a while
Incontrovertible
+1|6742|Brisbane, Australia
SVD or Type-88 Snipers make awesome squad leaders. I should know, I do just that with a good squad
lord_tyler_486
+54|6722|Upper Franconia
M95 is my preference. It ownz.
Sometimes I take the SVD/T88.
Hawk390
+27|6613|Melbourne, Australia
for those who diss the M95, i pity you, especially if you say its, and i quote, "rarely useful" to shott through cockpit and car glass. That has saved my life more times than i can count, where the humvee is barreling towards me and i just sight, boom, car rolls to a smooth stop. Though the bullet drop on the 50cal is bad, needs a lot of trial and error.
deject
Got His War On
+37|6743|Golden, CO
I just love the L96A1.  It rocks my socks.
Maj.Do
+85|6721|good old CA
M95 rocks : ).  Just aim up a bit.  Also type 88 is awesome.
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6715|Houston, TX

deject wrote:

I just love the L96A1.  It rocks my socks.
L96A1.  It rocks your skull. 

KJ

Last edited by Kung Jew (2006-03-23 08:46:25)

WiBu
+14|6626
L96A1. I was an M24 man (I actually refused to play as a non-US team) but now I'm a L96A1 man; I can happily play on whatever side the server sticks me on.

The auto-rifles are child like sniping weapons in my opinion; I happilly get close to the action with a bolt action and my pistol.
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6722|Toronto, ON
M95 by far.
Alpha as fuck.
[zulu]steviep831
+6|6603|Florida
I instinctively go for my L96A1, but on maps with choppers or lots of transport vehicles, I may opt for the M95. Though to be honest I've only had one through-the-glass chopper pilot kill and maybe a handful of through-the-glass vehicle driver kills. Lately, my favorite target are the gunners for vehicles as they often create the most havoc for troops trying to defend a flag. I like to take the gunner out first before taking out any infantry on the ground. Makes dealing with a tank/humvee easier for the guys on the ground.

Bullet drop does exist as most will attest to, but you only need to worry about that after about 150m or so. Though, I have not had too much playing time with the M24 or the semi-auto rifles so I can't say how much difference in BD there is. I would suspect that in the game it would probably not be that noticeable unless you were really taking a long shot.
DebonairXcel
+40|6582|Minnesota
In my experience with the sniper rifles, which I must admit is comparitively limited, I believe that the SVD and Type-88 require you to aim slightly at the top of the head to get effective headshots.  When using the SVD try to place the enemies head directly in the apex of the upside down V, not above it, not below it.  That will help you get more headshots.  The type-88 seems to get more headshots when you settle the crosshairs just a pixel above the center mass of their head and higher at further ranges.

As for the M24 try to aim directly at the center of mass of the head,  it seems to have less drop than the autos.  Similarly, I'd try the same thing for the L96 and aim the M-95 slightly above the head as well. 

Anyhow, sniping is a good means of keeping the enemies heads down when you are winning and have higher tickets.  if you are losing, I realy don't suggest going sniper, it just wont help you take flags.  Last sentiment as a sniper, if you are ptoecting a flag area that has exploding barrels nearby, hit a barrel once, then if the enemy happens to get past your claymores, you have the option of detonating the barrels.  Those things have a huge blast radius and are highly effective against enemy infantry if the happen to be near one.
vassili_zaitsev
+1|6596

DebonairXcel wrote:

Last sentiment as a sniper, if you are ptoecting a flag area that has exploding barrels nearby, hit a barrel once, then if the enemy happens to get past your claymores, you have the option of detonating the barrels.  Those things have a huge blast radius and are highly effective against enemy infantry if the happen to be near one.
Nice tip, one that I like to use often for surprise explosions. I once killed 3 guys with 1 barrel explosion, just last night I had two, you just need good timing on your shot to get maximum effect.

Btw, those barrels only require ONE shot from an M95 to explode, 2 from the M24/L96A1, and I don't use the auto snipers much so I can't be sure but I would assume 3 - 4 shots?
JimKong
+31|6612|Ohio
Barrels?
StormEye
Sniper
+50|6614|Malibu
I was one of those players who reached 20000 global points and unlocked everything besides L96 and P90 since I had no idea it was gonna come out. I used M24 extensively and now I finally have L96 after acheiving 50000 global points.

My opinion is that L96 sound is easier to be muffled out during a firefight. Sniper rifle such as M95 and SVD creates such a unique and loud sound which attracts too much attention. Thin crosshair also helps me to line up those lovely headshots. One draw back of L96 is that it has the most bullet drop out of all Bolt-Action rifles. I had a little bit of adjustment period for bullet drop with L96 since I was using M24 primarily before that. However, it is virtually the same thing so it wasn't that hard.

As a sniper I stick with L96 and if the need for shooting at cockpit is required then I use M95.
hilltop_skater
Body Skater
+28|6616|Berra - Aus
Yea I definatly agree with WiBu, L96A1 is a great gun i recently unlocked it and i'm kicking ass.
[Ahazi] Kaika
The Suicidal Soldier
+3|6731
I have seen videos confirming that the M95 has significantly more bullet drop at longer distances than the M24, not sure about the L96A1, but having used all three guns I much prefer the L96A1.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard