Rofl_My_Waffle
+11|6699
I have been thinking about a joystick for flying in bf2.
I have narrowed it down to two that i like.

1. logitech force 3d
2. logitech extreme 3d pro

They are both the same joystick except for one difference, the Force 3D has force feedback while the Extreme 3D does not. So i wanted an opinion on force feedback, is it necessary or just another thing to waste my money on. Also does a joystick improves preformance a noticable ammount or is it just another accessory.
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6751|Reality

Rofl_My_Waffle wrote:

1. logitech force 3d

They are both the same joystick except for one difference, the Force 3D has force feedback while the Extreme 3D does not. So i wanted an opinion on force feedback, is it necessary or just another thing to waste my money on. Also does a joystick improves preformance a noticable ammount or is it just another accessory.
foRCEFEEDBACK = WASTE

JUST SOMETHING ELSE THAT CAN BREAK

OOPS CAPSLOCK

too tired to fix
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 (one of the many joysticks with swivel: a must for light flight sims) is the best I've ever experienced. I only ran the Force Feedback for a few months when I got it a few years ago. I finally turned it off for all except racing sims, because my hands were tired of the jostling.

Here's some things to say about the Sidewinder FF2:

1. Chassis made of damned thick plastic (must've dropped it dozens of times; still works).
2. FF motor is weighty, so it sits in your lap easily without tilting around alot.
3. Minimalist button design leaves very little to break, stick, or accidentally get punched at the wrong moment.

...before that, I had a two-buttoned Gravis Joystick and a throttle called, ironically enough, GForce.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-23 04:18:17)

ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6727|Las Vegas
Here is what I currently have my eye on:  Saitek X52 Flight Control System. Can be found below $100 but not by much.

Perhaps a bit overkill for BF2 but I'm also planning to get into flight simming a bit more....

http://www.futurelooks.com/?m=show&id=188
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6653
Here u can get this good joystick I have this one it works very well

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6826102503
KingLou
Banned
+79|6632|Las Vegas
I use a VERY old Suncom F15 Raptor flighstick very similar to this:

https://www.computerpartner.no/shop/catalog/images/SFSFC_bilde.gif

Mine is just a hair different.  I like it.....it gives me the feel of piloting a real jet.  It has on the top one button, which I use to switch between bomb and missille mode, and two hat switches.  The middle switch I use to frequently transition between forward looking and rear views (the only views I use)....and it is quite easy and quick to do, and very beneficial for spotting enemies on your tail, or learning how to place bombs (ie, release bombs, switch to rear view, and see where they land, then adjust your approach accordingly).  The hat switch on the right is my throttle.  There is the obvious trigger, which is used for the guns.  There is a thumb button on the side that I use to launch either missiles or drop bombs depending on the mode I'm in.  There is also a button in the region of my pinky finger that I use to drop flairs.  I use the keyboard for lateral movements and afterburner.

I used a Logitech that my friend has, and didn't like it AT ALL....of course, he had it set up WAY different than mind, and I think his sensitivity in the BF2 air controls was not nearly as high as mine.  I could change my mind if I had one set up to my liking I suppose.

KiL

PS- You probably can't find the flightstick that I use anymore, unless you stumble across one on ebay.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6779|Atlanta, GA USA
I have the Extreme 3D pro and I really like it.  It is quite stable, and I like the extra buttons in the base.  It allows you to remap a lot of things so you don't have to worry about reaching over and hitting the kb when flying.
BrentBach
+0|6687|West Lafayette IN
Yeah I also have the extreme 3D pro the buttons are great you can make great quick turns with it and it has improved my jet flying alot even though I don't fly very much. It is also great for the attack helo's and I don't fly the transport helo's so I don't know about them
LoaderX
+-1|6765|Tucson, Arizona
Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar.
SuB
+50|6684
Saitek Cyborg Evo Force
(force feedback doesn't work in bf2 btw)

self centering, self calibrating, re-adjusts in real-time.. fantastic little joystick and its got "swivel" or rudder as it's properly named.. which is spot on
[MAA]MI2
+3|6781
CH Products F16 Fighterstick and CH Products Pro Throttle. Best HOTAS combination ever.
pasngr
+50|6653
I used to have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and I loved it.  That thing was perfect.  Then one day it lost its calibration and I was constantly rolling a little to the right.  So, I started shopping around for a new one on the circuitcity.com website and there were a lot of customer reviews that echoed my experience with it.  So, I went with a Cyborg Evo.  It was a big adjustment because the base is not nearly as stable as the 3D Pro, which has a nice square base.  Now, I have to fly with a book under the Evo just to keep it stable.  Wish I would have just gotten another 3D Pro.  Lasted me through a few months of Desert Combat and 7 months of BF2.
JimKong
+31|6650|Ohio
I have no complaints about 3D Pro. I like the throttle pedal.

Any stick that has yaw should be fine btw.

Last edited by JimKong (2006-03-27 23:18:00)

[SC]freQ
+0|6771|TN
I have the Saitek X35 Throttle and the X36 joystick.  It's old, but I really do love it.  It's hard to tell, and I think it's the game client rather than the controller, but I sometimes feel like it isn't turning hard enough.  I am a flight sim enthusiast and a real life pilot and feel like I know well enough how to maneuver, but sometimes it seems like I can't out turn enemy fighters (and "no, I'm not going head to head with a fighter in a bomber....).  Still, I'll sing the praises of the Saitek X series all day long.  It's fully DirectX programmable, can record macros (I don't personally use em), and has analog as well as digital functionality.  Furthermore, I think it's hard to beat for the price if you are serious about flying....
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6652

KingLou wrote:

I use a VERY old Suncom F15 Raptor flighstick very similar to this:

http://www.computerpartner.no/shop/cata … _bilde.gif

Mine is just a hair different.  I like it.....it gives me the feel of piloting a real jet.  It has on the top one button, which I use to switch between bomb and missille mode, and two hat switches.  The middle switch I use to frequently transition between forward looking and rear views (the only views I use)....and it is quite easy and quick to do, and very beneficial for spotting enemies on your tail, or learning how to place bombs (ie, release bombs, switch to rear view, and see where they land, then adjust your approach accordingly).  The hat switch on the right is my throttle.  There is the obvious trigger, which is used for the guns.  There is a thumb button on the side that I use to launch either missiles or drop bombs depending on the mode I'm in.  There is also a button in the region of my pinky finger that I use to drop flairs.  I use the keyboard for lateral movements and afterburner.

I used a Logitech that my friend has, and didn't like it AT ALL....of course, he had it set up WAY different than mind, and I think his sensitivity in the BF2 air controls was not nearly as high as mine.  I could change my mind if I had one set up to my liking I suppose.

KiL

PS- You probably can't find the flightstick that I use anymore, unless you stumble across one on ebay.
reminds me of the gunners handstation in a M2 Bradley turret
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6736|Australia
Keyboard and Mouse flying for me
Flembo70
+0|6652
I use the Extreme 3D pro which is great but I still wish I had my old thrustmaster TopGun. ( http://www.empirenet.com/f2comp/prodtg.htm )
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6704|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
for main comp i have an X52 Flight system and second comp a Logitech 3D extreme pro, its great, most of the top aviators use it

Last edited by .ACB|_Cutthroat1 (2006-04-12 07:48:31)

Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6744|Salt Lake City

Unless you are a hard core flight simmer, stay away from the specialized joysticks, such as some of the others have recommended.  It's not that they aren't good sticks, they are just very expensive and not as versitile as a more general joystick.

Stay away from Logitech joysticks.  I, and a friend of mine, both had the same logitech joystick and it sucks.  It loses calibration and your plane/helo will roll left or right (varies) when the stick is in the upright position, forcing you to push the stick to one side to maintain level flight.  In a hardware forum where I moderate there were several reports of this same problem, and is also all over Logitech's own forums.

For a general all purpose joystick, I also recommend the Saitek Cyborg Evo that a few others have recommended.  My friend that had the Logitech stick got that one, and has not had a single issue with the stick.  It has good ergonomics and enough buttons to be functional, without being gaudy or overwhelming.
MoonShadow616
Doesn't read the Whole Thread
+16|6629|Japan
Neither of those.. get Saitek's X52..... a fucking huge cut above the rest, got mine about 4months ago... Brilliant.. I don't think it's too far off a real one. lol.

Don't get this if you're only going to be using it once a week or so, it would be a waste of money.

I personally don't fly anything (apart from the odd chopper) on BF2 as it's fucking unrealistic, I use mine on FlightSims and alike
Poncho
and I'm not a raincoat...
+91|6715|NL
I got a question about my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Twist Handle Joystick.

When i pull back and almost at the end of the 'x-or-y-as' i feel some kind of bumb. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance, Poncho.
bigelectricat
+3|6700
i wish microsoft would re-release their sidewinder joysticks. i like their simplicity. a majority of joysticks now look like kids toys. lots of shiny parts with glowing lights. but very flimsy and easy to break.
Stumanbmx
S!l3nt But D3adly
+86|6612|Pickle Village
Get a Microsoft Sidewinder!!!  I love mine and am willing to sell my Force Feedback 3D version, but not my Precision Pro. (the Force Feedback needs a gameport though )

Last edited by Stumanbmx (2006-04-15 09:38:47)

Ronball9
Sleep Deprived
+8|6855

Rofl_My_Waffle wrote:

1. logitech force 3d

Check out this thread too:

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=1415
Maj.Do
+85|6760|good old CA
i say get the evo joystick, works pretty well.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard