Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6716|United States of America

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

I don't have much time, but I will say yes, I have doubted my faith, but I have questioned myself with this following question. It is a question that science cannot answer, because it is followed by more questions.

What created us? Big bang theory? Okay, science, what created, what created us? Intentional repitition.
What created god??? Why does god not have to be created, but everything else does????? Why couldn't matter just always existed.  Maybe Matter is what you need to worship, maybe electrons, if you want to worship me I will send you an adress to send money too.....
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6762

wannabe_tank_whore wrote:

Actually, universities are quite liberal and most liberals don't believe in God
Give me a break. According to the last estimate I heard 85% of Americans believe in God. At most, 50% of the American population is liberal, but that is a very 'liberal' estimate if you'll excuse the pun (as not everyone that votes democratic is liberal). Do that math on that, and 70% of liberals believe in God, and that's if every single republican in the country believes in God.

Belief in God has nothing to do with political affiliation, though I will admit more republicans are religious than are Democrats.

So, I would imagine that if we have atheists working at a university then their research would be biased too.  You tend to lean on your beliefs when living your life and similar to what you said, non believers in God would try to prove their beliefs too.
Personal experience tells me that people are much more likely to bend reality to accomodate a belief in God than they are to do the opposite. I would point at those Christians that still believe in the Bible as an absolute truth, despite the glaring logical and scientific flaws inherent in most of the old testament.

On the fish surviving, couldn't enough rainwater dilute the salinity of the seas?  Or at least make it bearable for a few weeks?
And the saltwater fish surviving this change in salinity? and the lack of any measurable salt content in almost every inland body of water? And fitting every species on Earth onto a relatively small boat? and repopulating the entire Earth's worth of species from 2 of each animal (not to mention the genetic problems inherent in breeding an entire population from two individuals). And the millions of plant species surviving the flood (did Noah bring those along as well? Did he remember the single celled organisms too? And viruses?) And... well, I could go on for quite some time, but I doubt it would change your mind in the least. Religion trumps reason I suppose.

http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB … mp;id=3122
This article deals with the second law of thermodynamics issue, which I have already addressed in a very shallow form. And as I mentioned previously using thermodynamics to disprove evolution is a very weak argument.

http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB … mp;id=2911
http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB … mp;id=2632
These have more to do with the teaching of intelligent design in schools. While it is true that evolutionary theory has not been proved, it has much more evidence to support it than does intelligent design. Furthermore intelligent design is predicated on a belief in God or some other supernatural entity, and as such I would argue its not suitable for public schools. If Intelligent Design had nothing to do with God my opinion, (and probably that of much of the scientific community as well) would be quite different.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6833|PNW

Major_Spittle wrote:

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

I don't have much time, but I will say yes, I have doubted my faith, but I have questioned myself with this following question. It is a question that science cannot answer, because it is followed by more questions.

What created us? Big bang theory? Okay, science, what created, what created us? Intentional repitition.
What created god??? Why does god not have to be created, but everything else does????? Why couldn't matter just always existed.  Maybe Matter is what you need to worship, maybe electrons, if you want to worship me I will send you an adress to send money too.....
And how would your cult differ from the many others that passed before it?
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6736|Canberra, AUS

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Major_Spittle wrote:

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

You get money?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6833|PNW

Spark wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Major_Spittle wrote:

You get money?
Even athiests can get money.
7thEs_ChibiKrillin
+3|6725
I believe in God. I believe in science. I believe the bible is the teachings of the lord, but written by man. Everyone in this thread is hung up about Noah, but what value does that story teach? The bible's stories have no need to be accepted as truth. You, as an individual, need to interpret what lesson all stories have. This would go for any holy book. No one religion is right or wrong, but different concepts of belief. If you praise God, no matter what his name or what you believe he will do for you, he will reward you. God only helps people that help themselves.

Noah - God was enraged with the population so he wanted to cleanse the world of sinners. Moral imo: God decides your fate depending on your actions.

Many of you people seem to be angry with the idea of the rules of church. Just because man says it is true doesn't make it God's word. God wants thanks and to be recognized. Church's provide an area for people to give thanks together. It should be nothing more and nothing less.

God wants us to enjoy the fruits of the world, just not in unhealthy excess. God doesn't want you to follow ludicrous rules. Enjoy your life, it's what you're here for.

God is understanding and loving. The search for knowledge is never-ending. God enjoys science just as much as the next person. He did, after all, create it all. God understands evolution. Because an animal has eyes they don't use doesn't mean they won't grow to use them again another day.

Great scientists in the past believed in God such as Einstein, Copernicus, Galileo, and Newton. It's normal to question God and why he would exist. The question shouldn't be "what can I find in science to prove God isn't real?" but rather "what can I find in science to understand God's creations better."

Quick response to the original poster:

I always doubt my faith when times are rough, why God would put me or other people through such perals. I believe God does not control such things. He wants his children to fly on their own. He will of course give assistance to those who ask, and work for it. I try to be the best person I can. Not only do I believe God wants me to, but it also helps benefit those around me. Smiles are contagious.

Evidence disproving religion? I doubt that can ever happen. I choose to believe in God. No one can disprove or prove he is real through science or anything else.

What if God or whoever you believe in isnt real what if u die u die thats it, its over no nothing for the rest of eternity.
Theoritically, that's like asking someone what they would do if they were unconscious. I'd be dead and "nothing." I'm dead... I can't do anything. But I definately wouldn't be thinking "damn, I sure did waste all that time believing in God," because I wouldn't exist.

Last edited by 7thEs_ChibiKrillin (2006-03-25 00:08:53)

Spark
+874|6736|Canberra, AUS
That's a new idea.

The story of Noah and the Ark is a STORY. End. It's like a fable, untrue, but a good lesson nonetheless.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
herrr_smity
+156|6689|space command ur anus
i have one causation fore all you religious folk. why wold a GOD create the universe and the earth was he/she/it bored.
jonnykill
The Microwave Man
+235|6741

herrr_smity wrote:

i have one causation fore all you religious folk. why wold a GOD create the universe and the earth was he/she/it bored.
God didn't create the universe . We are all in a big-ass petri dish on a giants shelf . And every once in a while he fucks with our weather and shit killing a few thousand of us off for fun . We are kind of like a huge origami . Make the best of it
herrr_smity
He He
jonnykill
The Microwave Man
+235|6741
I like how people practically write novels spending hours in each answer . And the lovely " disectors " that qoute and answer , quote and answer . As if anyone is going to read all that shit .

As far as religion gos I don't believe in God as if some dude is up in heaven looking down on us in the literal sence . That's just crazy . I don't think there is a devil in a place called hell at the bottom of the earth either .

If there was a God per say I think he would be so dissapointed in us that he would kill us all with all that fire and brimstone stuff , ya know just like the bible says .
7thEs_ChibiKrillin
+3|6725
I can't speak for God but I can be thankful for what he's given me.

I like how people practically write novels spending hours in each answer . And the lovely " disectors " that qoute and answer , quote and answer . As if anyone is going to read all that shit .
You don't have to read it. However, expressing other people's beliefs and opinions as "shit" is damn elementry. Open your mind asshat.

If there was a God per say I think he would be so dissapointed in us that he would kill us all with all that fire and brimstone stuff , ya know just like the bible says .
Back to the story of Noah's Ark. God promised Noah, with a rainbow, that he would never commit such acts against man again personally, but rather let man destroy eachother. God's not one to break promises.
jonnykill
The Microwave Man
+235|6741

7thEs_ChibiKrillin wrote:

You don't have to read it. However, expressing other people's beliefs and opinions as "shit" is damn elementry. Open your mind asshat.

Back to the story of Noah's Ark. God promised Noah, with a rainbow, that he would never commit such acts against man again personally, but rather let man destroy eachother. God's not one to break promises.
Disector lol

Got a question for you . If God made man and evolution is false then why did it take us so long to build cities , cars , computers and shit ?
herrr_smity

7thEs_ChibiKrillinIf there was a God per say I think he would be so dissapointed in us that he would kill us all with all that fire and brimstone stuff , ya know just like the bible says .[/quote wrote:

the story of noah's ark is a fairytale, taking two of every animal on the planet there are billions of speces on the planet. lets try to build a wooden boat that can hold two of Itch kind it will be impossible, the story dosent make any sense.
and afterwords noah and his family sets out to populate the planet again, now i don't know about you but i find that cross its incest at best, he must have gotten "special" grandchildren that could have joined the special olympics.
Spark
+874|6736|Canberra, AUS

7thEs_ChibiKrillin wrote:

1. What herrr_smity said.

2. This is paradoxical. He said 'I'll never kill everthing again' and then, not long afterward, gives a revalation to John. And surprise! He kills everything.

3. The 'flood' is probably no more than a local flood, in accordance with the weird variations of sea levels (ice ages). As where we're talking about is just about desert, there can't be too many species to collect. Noah clearly doesn't know about the rest of the world, so the 'world' to him is probably this 1000 sq km space in the Middle East.
~ Richard Feynman
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6833|PNW

Spark wrote:

That's a new idea.

The story of Noah and the Ark is a STORY. End. It's like a fable, untrue, but a good lesson nonetheless.
Part of being a skeptic involves doubting everything, even beliefs that a story is false. Do you really know, or was it just something you heard or read. If you've seen it, did it really happen? If you haven't seen it, did it really not happen?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-25 15:11:48)

herrr_smity

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Spark wrote:

That's a new idea.

Part of being a skeptic involves doubting everything, even beliefs that a story is false. Do you really know, or was it just something you heard or read. If you've seen it, did it really happen? If you haven't seen it, did it really not happen?
but the noah story goes against every law of nature and commen sens
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6833|PNW

herrr_smity wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Spark wrote:

That's a new idea.

If you believe water covered the entire planet, I suppose. But the laws of nature as we know them are also written by men, and those are, every now and then, proven false or not the complete truth.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-25 16:31:29)

herrr_smity

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If you believe water covered the entire planet, I suppose. But the laws of nature as we know them are also written by men, and those are, every now and then, proven false or not the complete truth.
they are not written but discovered. and can you given an example for one that have been disproven
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6833|PNW

herrr_smity wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

they are not written but discovered. and can you given an example for one that have been disproven
If they aren't written when discovered, then how on Earth do you propose that they be remembered?

But easy example: scientists no longer believe that the earth is the center of the universe anymore, do they.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-25 16:48:49)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6833|PNW

herrr_smity wrote:

GOD is not real it he or she has been created to explain life, now THIS might come as a shock to you all but life has no meaning what so ever.
Like so many prople tell the religious: "prove it."

Take nothing for granted unless you have absolute proof. And even then, you can't be sure.
herrr_smity

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Easy example. Scientists no longer believe that the earth is the center of the universe anymore, do they.
that not a low of nature
gravity, evolution, magnetism, these are laws
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6833|PNW

herrr_smity wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

Easy example. Scientists no longer believe that the earth is the center of the universe anymore, do they.
that not a low of nature
I think that the world being round instead of flat was a significant development in our knowledge of the natural world, wouldn't you say?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-25 17:14:27)

herrr_smity

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

that not a low of nature
I think that the world being round instead of flat was a significant development in our knowledge of the natural world, wouldn't you say?
well yes
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6833|PNW

herrr_smity wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

that not a low of nature
well yes
Then wouldn't its location in relation to the universe be just as important?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard