herrr_smity
+156|6689|space command ur anus
and by the way the gun isn't science its a invention.
Erkut.hv
+124|6796|California
So, in reality, science has actually killed more people than religion. Science has allowed religious fanatics to come up with more efficient ways of killing people. if it weren't for science, religious people would have to kill the old fashioned way.

Twisted logic, I know.
herrr_smity
ok
herrr_smity
i guess i dug myself a hole here
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6833|PNW

herrr_smity wrote:

Really. How do you say?

herrr_smity wrote:

i guess i dug myself a hole here
Ah. Yes you have. I don't hold it against you, though. You're one of the few with enough dignity to concede a point lost in an online argument (a.k.a., special olympics of debate).

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-24 11:23:48)

Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6755|San Francisco
The difference between scientific invention and religion is that no one has ever killed in the name of science.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6833|PNW

Erkut.hv wrote:

So, in reality, science has actually killed more people than religion. Science has allowed religious fanatics to come up with more efficient ways of killing people. if it weren't for science, religious people would have to kill the old fashioned way.

Twisted logic, I know.
But nukes still can't match the sword in global hours or kills.

Marconius wrote:

...no one has ever killed in the name of science.
...and you learned your scientific history where? And no, I'm not calling all scientists moustache-twirling, monocled maniacs in white lab coats (any more than I'd call all religious people murderous fanatics).

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-24 11:31:23)

dubbs
+105|6693|Lexington, KY

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Flavius Aetius wrote:

i don't consider going to church a crummy life. What has science proven against my religion? I know I can say stuff from the bible to counter-act every claim you have, but their is no proof on my side so you will call it a victory for yourself. Science has shown us a lot, but nothing I would say proves religion wrong.
So my question to you is, why exist?
Exactly, there is no proof of your side, but mountains of it that disproves your so called counteractions.

Genesis:  Sorry, but this has so much evidence against it that it would be shredded in an instant.

Noah:  Again, we know that water did not in fact cover the entire Earth.  Religious scholars are now saying that this meant the world as they knew it at the time, but this doesn't change the fact that the Bible says everything was flooded.  While given the limited knowledge of the Earth, in its entirety, that would sound reasonable, but it still calls into question the validity of so much of the Bible's writings and how accurate they can really be.

The list goes on and on, but I think I've made my point.  If you believe in God, good for you.  Just remember that religion is based on faith, and it has to be because most of it can't be proven, and a good deal of it is highly questionable given what science has proven.
It takes just as much faith to believe that there is not a god.  Also, there story of Noah is accounted in multiple societies, so it is believed that the flood did occur.  Archeologist (sp?) are finding more and more fact that there was a large flood.  We do not know how much land the flood covered, but it did at least cover a large area of land. 

What evidence does Genesis have agaist it?  I do not mean theories, I mean physical evidence? 

If science has provide so much information to disprove the Bible, what about the evidence that proves it.  For example, the flames that burnt Sodom and Gomeriha was so hot that it turned the walls of the city into glass.  That would be a hard to do at the time that the cities existed.  Why is there a salt statue on the shores of the Dead Sea?  What about the burnt section of ground on Mount Sinai? 

Overall there is a lot of information that supports and does not support the Bible.  You have to take a overall look at the information.  Yes, some of the current ideas may not fit in the box that we think the Bible describes, but we also have to take a look at what those people were like.  You stated:

Again, we know that water did not in fact cover the entire Earth

Yet, our current history says that the Romans ruled all of the known world during their time.  Asia had a large population during the same time, but the Romans did not rule that area, but we still say that they ruled the world during their time.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6833|PNW

dubbs wrote:

Yet, our current history says that the Romans ruled all of the known world during their time.  Asia had a large population during the same time, but the Romans did not rule that area, but we still say that they ruled the world during their time.
Whose time? Noah's? During Genesis?! Good lord...

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-24 11:40:50)

herrr_smity

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

Really. How do you say?
as i see it it was made for another purpose then usage in a firearm
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6833|PNW

herrr_smity wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

Really. How do you say?
Guns were made for a purpose other than being a firearm?
afewje
Banned
+5|6672
But God or no God what is the harm in following some of its rules? thats how i see it. At least if their is a God u tryed and if their isnt then w/e u stil lived ur life.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6833|PNW

afewje wrote:

But God or no God what is the harm in following some of its rules? thats how i see it. At least if their is a God u tryed and if their isnt then w/e u stil lived ur life.
If there isn't a god, then you might as well do what you can to improve life for coming generations, even if through a humble role. And if there is a God, whatever God is won't appreciate people being nice merely for the sake of winning brownie points.
Erkut.hv
+124|6796|California

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If there isn't a god, then you might as well do what you can to improve life for coming generations, even if through a humble role.
Why? I'll be dead. I'll give less than a shit what anyone does with this crap planet after I am gone. Selfish? Damn right, it's my life. When it ends, I'll have no reason to care about any of you.
herrr_smity

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Really. How do you say?
Guns were made for a purpose other than being a firearm?
i seem to have forgotten a word. gunpowder was not made for the purpose of being used in a firearm
Neoburn_1035
Medic!!!!!!!
+27|6890|OP, KS

sfg-Ice__ wrote:

The way I see it...science is just discovering the building blocks of how god did it all.
So, what if we discover another planet similar to ours with life that has "evolved" completely different from ours. Does this prove the there is a higher being? Or does it prove that it take the right beginnings of a planet to foster life. This is the fundamental question with out exploring outside of our planet and finding other life how can we find all the answers? Just like in a math equation 2 + 2 always = 4 or is that 2, I can't remember let me ask the Lord..........

I would also note that there is not enough water in liquid, ice and vapor form combined to flood the entire earth as it exists today.
That is the thing as the earth was a very different landscape millons of years ago at the earth creation.

Last edited by Neoburn_1035 (2006-03-24 13:10:03)

herrr_smity

Erkut.hv wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If there isn't a god, then you might as well do what you can to improve life for coming generations, even if through a humble role.
Why? I'll be dead. I'll give less than a shit what anyone does with this crap planet after I am gone. Selfish? Damn right, it's my life. When it ends, I'll have no reason to care about any of you.
well said
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,975|6693|949

herrr_smity wrote:

Erkut.hv wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

well said
I think there is a certain instinct we as humans have that do not allow us to think this way as a whole.  My personal belief is that we are here to further the human species.  As a humanist, one must do anything within reason to further the human race.  Therefore, while you might say that you can go through living as if you don't care about anything or anyone, it is unnatural to do so.  Personally, I don't believe there is a higher power, God, or anything watching us from on high or down below.  However, I do have faith...faith that what I think is right.  Therefore, one might say that I am religious, if just because I do have a belief system that I adhere to, and that cannot be proven right or wrong.  And as someone that posted before me, I believe in the concept of energy, in that there is energy in our each of us (life) that we cannot create.  How is it that we can physically reconstruct a cell, but we cannot give it life?  And please don't tell me that we can, because electrically charging something to make it breathe for a limited time is not life, its temporary reanimation.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,975|6693|949

On a similar note, if people believe in God, and Satan, wouldn't that make Satan a God as well?  If Satan has the power to influence us negatively, and God positively, wouldn't they both be God-like?  So then there would be two Gods, one positive and one negative.  Which ties quite nicely into the whole Eastern Ying-Yang concept, giving it a face and name instead of positive and negative energy.  Isn't it interesting how cultures all across the globe have similar concepts about the human mind and body?
jord
+2,382|6739|The North, beyond the wall.

Erkut.hv wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

wow your like me.Thats why i don't give a flying fuck about global warming or running out of natural resources.Unless it affects me i dont care.I plan on living until im about 55 maybe 60 after that theres not much to do,shit sex,cant really play sports,start going deaf,kids in the street laughing at you.

I dont know why but i watched alot of those beheadings on ogrish i really dont know why just curious.The Ken bigley one made me think about alot,he was an engineer that did fuck all to them muslims and they cut his head off with a not very sharp knife hold it up in the air and parade round with some shit music on,That made me want to join the army,i probobly will im not to old  i think the max age for the british army is 24.They should put them beheadings on tv at war times alot more people would serve their country it touched me and not alot of things do.

Last edited by jord (2006-03-24 13:18:04)

Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6797|Salt Lake City

dubbs wrote:

It takes just as much faith to believe that there is not a god.  Also, there story of Noah is accounted in multiple societies, so it is believed that the flood did occur.  Archeologist (sp?) are finding more and more fact that there was a large flood.  We do not know how much land the flood covered, but it did at least cover a large area of land.
I don't doubt the fact that there may have been a flood.  My point was simply that the Bible states that it covered the entire Earth.  Whether their little area of their existence is all they knew doesn't matter.  It says the whole Earth was covered, and geological evidence clearly shows that all of the Earth was in fact not covered. 

dubbs wrote:

What evidence does Genesis have agaist it?  I do not mean theories, I mean physical evidence?
You're joking right?  If there is, in my opinion, any one area of the Bible that is most easily discreted, it is Genesis.  By the time line laid out by Genesis, the Earth and everything on it is only ~7K years old.  We have carbon dated human remains that are far older than that.  We have plant and animal fossils that are millions of years old.  We know that dinosaurs were here long before man, ruled for 100's of millions of years, died off and were gone for about 65 million years before the first humanoids began to appear.  Given the Earth's age, and the timeline during which humanoids have existed (about 1 million years), Genesis seems to neglect 99.9% of the Earth, and the Earth's plant/animal inhabitants.
herrr_smity
may i point out that there is NOT inuff water to cover the globe
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6762

wannabe_tank_whore wrote:

Interesting!  I was gathering evidence and lo and behold I found 2 opposing arguments.  One for you side and one for my side.  And I discovered there are scientist on both sides as well.  And what a coincidence that the scientist opposing your viewpoints have been picked up by Christian sites.  Imagine that.  But in your case, forbidding me to post those links makes for an easy debate.
There may be scientists on both sides, but only one side is unbiased. Do universities have any motivation to disprove religious ideas? No. Do christians have any motivation to prove their beliefs are based on something other than faith? Big yes.

I too have read evidence for both sides (not so much on the issue of a global flood) but certainly on the issue of intelligent design. The advocates of intelligent design may be scientists, and they may be intelligent, but they started under the assumption that God created life, and then went about finding evidence to support that. On the other hand, the rest of the scientific community started with the assumption that life existed, somehow and went about finding likely explanations. God, however, is not a likely explanation. If you can find a university (one that is not religious I might add) or reputable scientific organization (such as the discovery institute) to back up these theories then I would be a little more convinced.

My friend had faith in all chairs until he became 330 lbs and sat in a plastic one and it folded after 15 minutes of stress.
Does this have a point? Next you're going to tell me you had faith in the sun until it was cloudy one day. And if your friends faith in solid, tangible objects was misplaced, what does that say about your faith in God? Has god every talked or interacted with you? (If yes, I suggest seeing a medical professional).

Read my intro.  The Earth is still changing today.  Plate tectonics states the plates haven't stopped moving and thus the Himalayas, for example, are still rising.  A global flood could have helped move the plates at a very fast rate.  There is a hypothesis that the water erupted from underground and pushed the plates apart as well as fell from the atmosphere.
If you are not aware of the implications of several billion tons of rock moving quickly enough to cause the kinds of changes you describe, you should read up on it. You have not addressed the other issues either, such as the timeline laid out in the bible which has this all happening on an impossible timeline. (Or the freshwater fish surviving a global saltwater environment. Or the species on isolated islands. Or the logistics of fitting several million different species onboard a single wooden ship. Or... well, I think you get the point).

But how did it get here?  To say it existed and we existed after the fact so now I don't have to contemplate how the universe got there in the first place is circular logic.  Did it self create?
The fact is that we may never know how the universe came into existence, and almost certainly not in our lifetime. But simply because we do not know how something occurred does not mean God did it.

I would also point out that there are several theories as to the creation of the universe put forth by the top minds in the physics field, but the concepts are so far above my level of comprehension that I'm not going to try and explain them.

Agent_dung_bomb stated micro evolution.  From a single cell to the eyes we have today is quite a leap.  The eyes of those fish are no longer used but they're still there in an undeveloped state with a flap over them.  Kind of like my dark skin white skin explanation.  Do you need light to see in the dark?  Most certainly! 

If all was dark since the beginning would we have working eyes, sockets but no eyes, or nothing there at all?

And yet the fossil record remains silent.
Yes it is a big leap. One that took a couple billion years. Now think how quickly an organism can reproduce, and put that in terms of generations. How many generations have come and gone in the history of life on Earth? I would calculate it, but I think my computer would run out of zeroes first. The point? Going from a single celled organism to humans is a huge leap, but it had more than enough time to work itself out.

Besides which, God created all the cosmos with a thought, but it took 13-15 billion years to get around to humans? Seems pretty inefficient.

This kind of logic kept the world flat for thousands of years. 

"Hey sailor what did you see?"

"I looked out and saw the edge of the world on the horizon.  Saw some monsters too."

"Why he must be correct because he has a boat and sails it daily.  He is an expert in his field.  It's a fact!"

I would assume his employer reviewed his references and confirmed his degree.  But this day and age you never know.  Look at GA Tech's old football coach... he lied about his degree but still worked for GA Tech because no one verified it.  In other words, they took his word on it because hey, why would he lie?  Oh yeah, money.

Ever hear of scientist falsifing data to continue to receive funding?  It happens more often than you think.  And what happens if the funders want a specific outcome.  Take MS for instance.  They hired a firm to review IE and then gave a press conference about how good IE is.
I won't dispute there are instances of scientists falsifying evidence for personal gain. But when almost every scientist is coming up with the same explanation? Are they all in some sort of global conspiracy to fool the common man? Or are they just coming up with the best possible explanation?

Now that's a conundrum!  I think you have missquoted the theory.  If there are no positive changes and no negative changes then all would remain the same.  In the mutations, is DNA lost?  Can you name a single unambiguous example of the formation of a new species by the accumulation of mutations?
I think I can answer this by requoting myself: "The 'errors' caused by random mutation either cause the survivability of an organism to increase (leading to more offspring, and the perpetuation of that error)" or in other words causes that change to become more common, as it increases survivability. "or more likely it decreases the chances of survival (leading to the organisms death, and the extinction of that genetic line)" In other words eliminates or reduces negative changes, because they reduce survivability. I'm not sure how I can make that any simpler...

As for the second part of that, can you name a single unambiguous instance of the formation of a new species by Divine Will? I thought not.

neoburn_1035 wrote:

That is the thing as the earth was a very different landscape millons of years ago at the earth creation.
I think you mean billions of years, and I've already addressed this. If the flood had happened billions of years ago when it would have been plausible, there wouldnt have been people around to write about it

erkut.hv wrote:

jord wrote:

wow your like me.Thats why i don't give a flying fuck about global warming or running out of natural resources.Unless it affects me i dont care.I plan on living until im about 55 maybe 60 after that theres not much to do,shit sex,cant really play sports,start going deaf,kids in the street laughing at you.
I'm not sure what to say to this. Other than I'm sad that people like you exist.
specops10-4
+108|6804|In the hills
Really religion was caused by unknown events that have been proven by science, I haven't read the bible or really any religious texts.  But lets say some religious story (I really dont want to annoy people but this is what I believe) and they say that they saw a god in the air, but they were actually seeing a. some comet or something, b. sunlight reflecting around the curvature of the earth by clouds (I saw some documentary about this trying to explain religious events).  Or most likely c. through passed down tellings of the story it was exagerated, maybe he said he saw the light of torches and he said it looked like a light from heaven. 

I do however beleive that something has to happen to you when you die, my mom who used to be a nurse, after reviving people from death said that they were surrounded by the memories and had strong feelings.  Some of them even wished that they were not revived, they might have been making it up, or they were thinking these things before death and thought they witnessed them while they were dead.  In some ways it makes me feel scuicidal (EEK!), it just kind of mixes and screws with my brain thinking about this so I have to stop.  (not truely scuicidal but it would be an asome experience finding out what actually happens)
jord
+2,382|6739|The North, beyond the wall.

Skruples wrote:

Interesting!  I was gathering evidence and lo and behold I found 2 opposing arguments.  One for you side and one for my side.  And I discovered there are scientist on both sides as well.  And what a coincidence that the scientist opposing your viewpoints have been picked up by Christian sites.  Imagine that.  But in your case, forbidding me to post those links makes for an easy debate.
There may be scientists on both sides, but only one side is unbiased. Do universities have any motivation to disprove religious ideas? No. Do christians have any motivation to prove their beliefs are based on something other than faith? Big yes.

I too have read evidence for both sides (not so much on the issue of a global flood) but certainly on the issue of intelligent design. The advocates of intelligent design may be scientists, and they may be intelligent, but they started under the assumption that God created life, and then went about finding evidence to support that. On the other hand, the rest of the scientific community started with the assumption that life existed, somehow and went about finding likely explanations. God, however, is not a likely explanation. If you can find a university (one that is not religious I might add) or reputable scientific organization (such as the discovery institute) to back up these theories then I would be a little more convinced.

My friend had faith in all chairs until he became 330 lbs and sat in a plastic one and it folded after 15 minutes of stress.
Does this have a point? Next you're going to tell me you had faith in the sun until it was cloudy one day. And if your friends faith in solid, tangible objects was misplaced, what does that say about your faith in God? Has god every talked or interacted with you? (If yes, I suggest seeing a medical professional).

Read my intro.  The Earth is still changing today.  Plate tectonics states the plates haven't stopped moving and thus the Himalayas, for example, are still rising.  A global flood could have helped move the plates at a very fast rate.  There is a hypothesis that the water erupted from underground and pushed the plates apart as well as fell from the atmosphere.
If you are not aware of the implications of several billion tons of rock moving quickly enough to cause the kinds of changes you describe, you should read up on it. You have not addressed the other issues either, such as the timeline laid out in the bible which has this all happening on an impossible timeline. (Or the freshwater fish surviving a global saltwater environment. Or the species on isolated islands. Or the logistics of fitting several million different species onboard a single wooden ship. Or... well, I think you get the point).

But how did it get here?  To say it existed and we existed after the fact so now I don't have to contemplate how the universe got there in the first place is circular logic.  Did it self create?
The fact is that we may never know how the universe came into existence, and almost certainly not in our lifetime. But simply because we do not know how something occurred does not mean God did it.

I would also point out that there are several theories as to the creation of the universe put forth by the top minds in the physics field, but the concepts are so far above my level of comprehension that I'm not going to try and explain them.

Agent_dung_bomb stated micro evolution.  From a single cell to the eyes we have today is quite a leap.  The eyes of those fish are no longer used but they're still there in an undeveloped state with a flap over them.  Kind of like my dark skin white skin explanation.  Do you need light to see in the dark?  Most certainly! 

If all was dark since the beginning would we have working eyes, sockets but no eyes, or nothing there at all?

And yet the fossil record remains silent.
Yes it is a big leap. One that took a couple billion years. Now think how quickly an organism can reproduce, and put that in terms of generations. How many generations have come and gone in the history of life on Earth? I would calculate it, but I think my computer would run out of zeroes first. The point? Going from a single celled organism to humans is a huge leap, but it had more than enough time to work itself out.

Besides which, God created all the cosmos with a thought, but it took 13-15 billion years to get around to humans? Seems pretty inefficient.

This kind of logic kept the world flat for thousands of years. 

"Hey sailor what did you see?"

"I looked out and saw the edge of the world on the horizon.  Saw some monsters too."

"Why he must be correct because he has a boat and sails it daily.  He is an expert in his field.  It's a fact!"

I would assume his employer reviewed his references and confirmed his degree.  But this day and age you never know.  Look at GA Tech's old football coach... he lied about his degree but still worked for GA Tech because no one verified it.  In other words, they took his word on it because hey, why would he lie?  Oh yeah, money.

Ever hear of scientist falsifing data to continue to receive funding?  It happens more often than you think.  And what happens if the funders want a specific outcome.  Take MS for instance.  They hired a firm to review IE and then gave a press conference about how good IE is.
I won't dispute there are instances of scientists falsifying evidence for personal gain. But when almost every scientist is coming up with the same explanation? Are they all in some sort of global conspiracy to fool the common man? Or are they just coming up with the best possible explanation?

Now that's a conundrum!  I think you have missquoted the theory.  If there are no positive changes and no negative changes then all would remain the same.  In the mutations, is DNA lost?  Can you name a single unambiguous example of the formation of a new species by the accumulation of mutations?
I think I can answer this by requoting myself: "The 'errors' caused by random mutation either cause the survivability of an organism to increase (leading to more offspring, and the perpetuation of that error)" or in other words causes that change to become more common, as it increases survivability. "or more likely it decreases the chances of survival (leading to the organisms death, and the extinction of that genetic line)" In other words eliminates or reduces negative changes, because they reduce survivability. I'm not sure how I can make that any simpler...

As for the second part of that, can you name a single unambiguous instance of the formation of a new species by Divine Will? I thought not.

neoburn_1035 wrote:

I think you mean billions of years, and I've already addressed this. If the flood had happened billions of years ago when it would have been plausible, there wouldnt have been people around to write about it

erkut.hv wrote:

jord wrote:

I'm not sure what to say to this. Other than I'm sad that people like you exist.
wow it bothers you that people have differant opinions than you.Theres is proboly over a million people maybe more who dont give a shit about global warming.It doesnt bother me that in 100 years or whenever the water might rise abit i wont be there.You shouldnt really care either.If a stranger dies i wouldnt cry infact i ewouldnt think about it.So if you die in  the next week or next month i woulndnt give a fuck,infact i'd be glad.Also i cant understand how you have that much time to reply to everyone.You must have alot of spare time to waste or be a really fast typer.

Last edited by jord (2006-03-24 14:06:47)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard