Donnyboy
+1|6779
Does any one else have a hard time getting people to understand how to set up a good cross fire, or even some basic suppresing fire? Holy crap! It isn't that hard. Point to where people might be, let off 3-6 shots. Point to somewhere else where people might be, let off 3-6 shots. Repeat as neccesary as squad moves up and around for the flank shots.

I know it's a rant, but it bugs me when we get cut down like bystanders on a Vegas sidewalk when we're trying to advance.

Oh, and a tip for the n00bs, when 10 of you get together for a cap right at the base of the flag, it only takes one grenade or arty round to take you all out. Don't CF. Unless I'm your enemy, then conviently collect yourselves into groups of 8 or more in the nearest clearing.
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6840|San Francisco

bluehavoc8686
will frag for food
+11|6832|Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Donnyboy wrote:

Does any one else have a hard time getting people to understand how to set up a good cross fire, or even some basic suppresing fire? Holy crap! It isn't that hard. Point to where people might be, let off 3-6 shots. Point to somewhere else where people might be, let off 3-6 shots. Repeat as neccesary as squad moves up and around for the flank shots.

I know it's a rant, but it bugs me when we get cut down like bystanders on a Vegas sidewalk when we're trying to advance.

Oh, and a tip for the n00bs, when 10 of you get together for a cap right at the base of the flag, it only takes one grenade or arty round to take you all out. Don't CF. Unless I'm your enemy, then conviently collect yourselves into groups of 8 or more in the nearest clearing.
Although it's border-line, I think this kind of post goes best in the complain subforum. Make sure to look at all your options before posting in a specific section if you have something in mind for a thread.

Well my friend, you've got some good points, but I'm afraid you're confused about 'suppresive fire.' Suppresive fire is when the SAW unit moves forward and lays down covering fire to allow his team mates to move more freely and pick targets or whetever else they need to do. The extended automatic fire keeps enemy units at bay for long enough to gain the advantage in a fire fight. What you're referring to, I believe, is a better spotter.

For further questions and advice, consult the FAQ section or try the search function. Thanks man and welcome!
Donnyboy
+1|6779
My bad, it's a N00b post.
Burning_Monkey
Moving Target
+108|6830
And suppresive fire only works when the person is actually scared of being shot.  Since there is no death in this game, suppresive fire really isn't going to work that well.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6834|Cologne, Germany

well, it might work to the extent that the enemy is loosing tickets and time while the suppression fire lasts. But it's obvious that it will never work as well as in real life.

then again, I have rarely seen suppression fire being put down by a support guy. most run around with their ammo bags out or shoot single enemies while performing the dolphin dive with a 12 kg PKM...

moreover, how are 12-year-old supposed to know what real suppression fire needs to look like ? not everyone playing the game has a military background.
BrightAsh
+1|6809

Donnyboy wrote:

supressive fire is real useless in BF2, if i am supressed by five guys coming at me, I equip my M203 jump around the corner *gloup* you are all dead, and so am i, but hey, that is just a heroic act for my team.
Supressive fire is good in Rainbow Six, or raven shield, when one bullet kills you, but not in BF2. wont scare anyone, it is just a sign that says, Lot of points coming towards you around that corner, kill as many of them before they get you
McCullough
+7|6831

Burning_Monkey wrote:

And suppresive fire only works when the person is actually scared of being shot.  Since there is no death in this game, suppresive fire really isn't going to work that well.
What are you talking about? As long as you are in good squad (i know they are very rare) it works very well, the key is to have squadmembers that flanks the enemy while you lay down suppresivbe fire. If the enemy is behind a corner and you keeps shooting at that corner the guy think twice before he pops out, alowing the rest of your squad take him out from behind. the mounted machineguns on jeeps works as well.
And of course this is not going to work every time but atleast 60-70% of the times.
Greenie_Beazinie
Aussie Outlaw
+8|6806
Me and my mates use suppressive fire all the time. Get your mate to let a prone enemy know he's there - and remind him he's there - while you flank around and you can do what you want with him (Knife, pistol, C4, defib). Easy peasy.
voltage
+46|6833|Sweden
I use to do this a lot in good ol' DC, not so much in BF2 though since I guess accuracy will go down. I think it works, especially if you do it with a LAV-25 or similar. Usually I do it when I see a teammate trying to advance over a exposed area. Ppl will not stick their head out when they get fired upon. It's plain logic, they don't have to be afraid for it to work. If it works, noone will se my teammate advance and he can surprise them. Even if they do, they won't get a good shot.

I wish other people knew about it.
mort4u
Artillery catcher
+5|6831|Munich, Germany
to bad it doesnt work like in AA where your accuracy dropped when you got shot at and thus you couldnt shoot back.
in BF2 its just a bit scary but in 70% of the times im shot at by a support guy he will die instead of me cause of his low accuracy. but sure it can help against someppl also to distract them from the rest of the squad flanking him.
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6834|Missoula, MT
Daddy, what's suppressive fire?  I don't know, ask your Mother!
voltage
+46|6833|Sweden

mort4u wrote:

to bad it doesnt work like in AA where your accuracy dropped when you got shot at and thus you couldnt shoot back.
in BF2 its just a bit scary but in 70% of the times im shot at by a support guy he will die instead of me cause of his low accuracy. but sure it can help against someppl also to distract them from the rest of the squad flanking him.
To clarify: I was talking about the stat value Accuracy, not the ability to hit the enemy. I guess the Accuracy value will go down if you spend a lot of bullets without hitting the enemy, so proper suppressive fire will make it sink like a stone in the water. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Sharken
+0|6805
Suppressive fire is not the best idea if you want to sneak up on your enemy, but if you are already spotted, suppressive fire might make a difference. Just dont stand out in the open doing it, or you will get shot solder !
Greenie_Beazinie
Aussie Outlaw
+8|6806

mort4u wrote:

I dont think many people who play AA use accuracy anyway.
mort4u
Artillery catcher
+5|6831|Munich, Germany

Greenie_Beazinie wrote:

I dont think many people who play AA use accuracy anyway.
actually in AA the one who shoots first normally wins the firefight cause when you are shot at your accuracy is so bad you wont hit anything. but since there are so many cheaters in this game now, also a reason i stopped playin it, it doesnt really matter
Greenie_Beazinie
Aussie Outlaw
+8|6806
I disagree, i think AA combat is simply jumping, straifing and full auto.
bluehavoc8686
will frag for food
+11|6832|Pittsburgh, PA, USA

B.Schuss wrote:

well, it might work to the extent that the enemy is loosing tickets and time while the suppression fire lasts. But it's obvious that it will never work as well as in real life.

then again, I have rarely seen suppression fire being put down by a support guy. most run around with their ammo bags out or shoot single enemies while performing the dolphin dive with a 12 kg PKM...

moreover, how are 12-year-old supposed to know what real suppression fire needs to look like ? not everyone playing the game has a military background.
I don't have a military background, but yeah, I agree with the general consensus here. Suppresion fire in BF2 is pretty much worthless. Especially when you consider how many times a squad will run across an enemy vehicle rather than an enemy infantry unit. When that happens, if your support gunner opens up at a tank while the rest of his squad is behind him, bye bye squad.
Stasiek
Pojebany Hlop
+1|6832|Sicily, Italy

voltage wrote:

mort4u wrote:

To clarify: I was talking about the stat value Accuracy, not the ability to hit the enemy. I guess the Accuracy value will go down if you spend a lot of bullets without hitting the enemy, so proper suppressive fire will make it sink like a stone in the water. Correct me if I'm wrong.
i don't want to flame but...come on, are you that into that statistic!?  accuracy? especially with the so called undesirable spread? (maybe if you only play sniper for bragging wrights) wake up m8t accuracy in bf2 is lame as the rising star (i believe).

answer this question, when you see a enemy do you first a)duck and shoot b)shoot c)wait/hide and ponder, well if i shoot and miss i will lower my accuracy.  i hope you're not a 'C' this is not Duck Hunt, don't worry if you miss he's not going to fly the coop and neither will you run out of ammo before he's dead, unless you are that bad, which if in that case you should be the last person....

i'll stop here, need to catch up on my ACC

r/
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6826

B.Schuss wrote:

I play support correctly, I guess
the only time I throw ammo is when somebody requests it, or I see somebody with the red meter above their head, OR if I see a sniper that may need ammo for future use.

I love support. it's so much fun. but it does hell to my accuracy but shotguns do too. and those are my main two kits as of right now haha. oh welll

Last edited by =[4th]=SlayThem (2005-09-30 02:42:13)

Guruz
Sir
+20|6831|government yard in trenchtown.
I don't shoot anywhere but the enemies nowadays, because if you are moving alone, you can easily give a way your location and there you go, a pack of enemies (or a good lonely one) will come and get you.
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6834|Missoula, MT

Guruz wrote:

I don't shoot anywhere but the enemies nowadays, because if you are moving alone, you can easily give a way your location and there you go, a pack of enemies (or a good lonely one) will come and get you.
Best not to be seen and go in for the sure kill.  I concur. 
r00fus
+2|6785
sometimes i wonder how some people manage to get dressed in the morning, and some arse did that lousy kill/revive stat padding on me yesterday when i went to answer the door.  The bastard got 49 kills on me or something.

Last edited by r00fus (2005-09-30 04:06:28)

CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6834|Missoula, MT

r00fus wrote:

sometimes i wonder how some people manage to get dressed in the morning, and some arse did that lousy kill/revive stat padding on me yesterday when i went to answer the door.  The bastard got 49 kills on me or something.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune dude, but man, that's a funny story!  If I have to get up, wait till I die in-game and I make sure not going to respawn again.  Rule of thumb! 
r00fus
+2|6785
now it looks like im a nooblet with a 63 death streak

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard