beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6793

I don't really understand the numbers you use for 'standard deviation' on UBAR.  In another post I found it was the angle of the triangle the deviation makes.  My question is how is the PKM more accurate than all other weapons when prone, when in reality it isnt?

M95: Standard Deviation: 3.5 2 0.5
PKM: Standard Deviation: 0.8 0.4 0.02

Maybe some more explanation on the site would clear things up O_o
Ag3nT-()r@ng3
Another German Mod
+6|6814|Lake Constanze, Germany
[sarcasm]Uhm, u are aware of that BF2 is a game?![/sarcasm]
Imo it has nothing to do with reality, only with balancing.
So, hm..... i think this question goes to EA

BTW, moved to the correct subforum....

Greetz,
Agent
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6793

I'm not talking about reality, I'm talking about in-game.  The M95 is far more accurate than the PKM despite your numbers.  That's what im saying
Croak
+11|6812|San Marcos, CA
UBAR doesn't list ALL the numbers that combine to determine a weapon's accuracy, so you're not seeing the whole picture.

Based on the Strat. Guide "Firearms Comparison Chart", the M95 has a min deviation of 5.0,  0 extra deviation when standing/kneeling/prone, 2 deviation added for each shot (3.5 when standing), a 0.02 deviation mod when zoomed, a 4.5 recoil, and a 0.25 recoil when zoomed.

The PKM has a min deviation of 0.8, 2 extra deviation when standing, 1.5 when kneeling, 0.8 when prone, 0.4 deviation added for each shot (0.8 when standing), a 0.8 deviation mod when zoomed, a 0.25/0.45 recoil, and a 0.5 recoil when zoomed.

Now, to make sense of this, it means that each time you fire a M95, there's this huge cone that the shot can land in (minimum deviation).  But, that 5.0 min deviation *only* applies when firing without using the scope.  Once you zoom, the 0.02 zoomed deviation mod (second best zoom deviation in the game behind the M24 and equal to the SVD and Type 88) *overides* the normal minimum deviation.  Other factors (recoil, mod per additional shot, etc) don't really apply with the M95 because it's single shot and you're putting the sights back on target after each one, essentially starting fresh each shot.  (They do matter more to the SVD and Type 88 since they're semi-automatic)

The PKM, on the other hand, even when prone, has many more penalties applied.  On the first shot from the hip (min deviation), the cone *is* narrower than the M95, but then you *add*  2/1.5/0.8 to that original 0.8 (depending on firing posistion), then for each additional shot you add ANOTHER 0.4/0.8, and on top of that each after the first has the recoil mod added (reduced when zoomed). 

Now, even with the PKM's "low" rate of fire, that's still 7.5 rounds per second.  So a one second/7 round PKM burst fired prone and zoomed would have the first round suffering a cumulative deviation of 1.5, and the last round a 5.0.  It's FAR less accurate when standing and not zoomed, obviously, and the longer the trigger is pulled, the worse it gets.

Looking at it that way, prone and zoomed with both weapons, the M95 has a deviation cone that is 75 times smaller with a single shot than the PKM.

Now, there's some other factors the Strat. Guide doesn't take into account, like bullet drop, and "settle down" time when aiming through the scope, etc., and the Strat. Guide data could be incorrect (but if so, it's still close).

Last edited by Croak (2005-09-28 17:13:17)

tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6854|San Francisco

^^ very informative post!
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6793

Indeed... which makes me come to the conclusion that these 'accuracy' numbers are only useful in comparison of each other.  ohwell
bluehavoc8686
will frag for food
+11|6846|Pittsburgh, PA, USA
what you guys can't read math?

which i suck at...
Croak
+11|6812|San Marcos, CA
You can use those numbers to determine pretty closely how each weapon will perform. 

For instance, the L85 that is touted as being uber-accurate in reality has less accuracy than the M16, let alone the M4 or G36C, and is *barely* more accurate than the AK's in some areas, and the same in others. It's the purely VISUAL advantage the scope's sight picture gives the L85 that makes it easier for some to make long distance shots with it (plus it hits a little harder than the M16 or M4).

What's REALLY interesting to me is that looking at the Strat. Guide charts confirms what many people have found out..pistols are crazy accurate in BF2.

Only the Spec Ops carbines have a lower average Mininum Deviation, there's *no* deviation penalty for standing/crouching/prone (that's a huge advantage in some cases), they have the lowest deviation added per shot of *any* weapon, and only the Sniper rifles have a better zoom deviation, and zoom recoil is the same as a Sniper rifle. 

The only "weak spots" a pistol has is the unzoomed recoil, which is higher than the assault rifles, but it still works out to better chances of accurate multi-shot-placement when shooting unzoomed because there's no mod for firing position like every other weapon (except shotguns and snipers) have, and the low damage per hit.

They only do 20 damage per shot, but compare them to the SMGs, which are FAR less accurate in every way, and only do 19 per shot. And then take into account that EVERY KIT has a pistol and a lot of ammo. 

If you're good at lining up the sights on a pistol in BF2, you can be very effective with it, all the way out to extreme ranges, even while standing.
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6854|San Francisco

Man, I've learned so much from only two of your posts... must have more!
Ag3nT-()r@ng3
Another German Mod
+6|6814|Lake Constanze, Germany
@Voodoo: Think the same. Croaks posts are really informative!!!

May i add something:

Click here to have a look at this weapon comparison site....

https://217.20.115.62/images/show/agents-pics/mixed/deviation.jpg

https://217.20.115.62/images/show/agents-pics/mixed/damagechart2qp.jpg

Greetz,
Agent
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6793

croak: you said what i said, only in 3 paragraphs
its a comparitive analysis.  I was looking for more something along the lines of "at 100m you will hit inside a circle with the diameter of 2m".  I could calculate all that crap from what you gave me, but I'm lazy :p
Anyways, the deviation numbers are still pretty ambiguous for 'normal folk'

[edit: it should also say "deviation in degrees" or somesuch so it makes sense ;p ]

Last edited by beeng (2005-09-29 13:20:47)

ColKLink
+0|6647
I've tried calculating it, but it needs a point of reference, ie, the distance these deviations are based on. Is there a standard distance these deviation figures are based on? Can't find any info on it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard