The Soup Nazi
+18|6789|North Lauderdale, FL
Battlefield 2 needs a Pilot kit.  If only the pilots were allowed to commandeer jets and helicopters, I think that there would be significantly fewer people waiting on runways and carriers for these vehicles to spawn.  And to keep everyone from using the pilot kit, they should probably only be armed with a sidearm (perhaps the sidearm could be a Desert Eagle or something of the sort).
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6843|Missoula, MT
interesting idea...
The Soup Nazi
This is an idea I thought of when I was waiting for a jet to spawn (was by myself on the carrier).  Then just before it spawned, a hidden enemy sniper on the carrier headshotted me and stole the jet for himself.  I generally don't care so much about enemies stealing vehicles (we all do it...), but it was more just the fact that a sniper (in real life) would most likely not be trained to pilot an F-35. 

Just a thought...
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6849|"Frisco"

Then there would also need to be a way to limit the number of players in each class, I suppose.
The Soup Nazi
Maybe.  But I think if the pilot class only was given a sidearm, knife, and maybe a couple grenades, there would be very few people playing as them.  Assuming you need to eject because your air asset is going down, you have little to no chance of survival against enemy troops.

Sounds almost realistic...  How many (real life) pilots have you seen carrying assault rifles, shotguns, or sniper rifles into the cockpit?

Last edited by The Soup Nazi (2005-09-27 08:13:59)

SilentBob
Silent but deadly...
+1|6818|Nellis AFB (Las Vegas, NV)
I think this is a pretty good idea, but then you would have half a team of pilots sitting at the runway/helo pad waiting for a helo/jet to spawn! yar!
The Soup Nazi
Possibly.  But if they didn't have a significant weapon to use outside the jets and choppers, they would be sitting ducks for attacking forces. 

Note:  other kits could be copilots, gunners, passengers, etc.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6849|"Frisco"

Pilot, ok, other kits --- errr, no. That's be too much.
The Soup Nazi

chuyskywalker wrote:

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear...  What I meant was that any other kit could assume the role of a copilot, gunner, or passenger.  Not that each one of those would be a unique kit in and of itself.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6845|Bryan/College Station, TX

The Soup Nazi wrote:

chuyskywalker wrote:

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear...  What I meant was that any other kit could assume the role of a copilot, gunner, or passenger.  Not that each one of those would be a unique kit in and of itself.
I agree that an addition of a pilot class would be a very cool idea. A kit which gives them the ability to pilot air assets and no one else can. They would be armed with ONLY a sidearm pistol and a knife. No frag grenades, only Colored Smoke grenade for pickups and maybe one normal smoke grenade for escape and evade. Also a pair of binoculars for advanced spotting so they don't walk into enemy troops.

Gunners for the Two seater Strike aircraft and the Attack Choppers should also have to be pilots. This only makes sense.

The only air asset that should not have to have the Pilot class are all the passengers in the Transport helicopter. Those can be of any class which would make sense.

The only issue I see is with the Transport Helicopter. Sometimes the Pilot is killed but before crashing into a fire ball of flame one of the passengers will notice and switch to pilot in order to save the heli. This would not be able to happen if only pilots could actually pilot. But in second thought this might be a good thing cuz it would force everyone to bail from the helicopter before it crashed. Hence the gunners better protect the pilot and the pilot better be careful.

I like the idea. Which means that EA will never implement it seeing their track record.

Last edited by kilroy0097 (2005-09-27 13:32:09)

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Croak
+11|6807|San Marcos, CA
If they can still switch kits like normal, most hardcore chopper/jet campers won't care if you only gave them a dull butter-knife for a weapon as a Pilot, they'd still hang out on the runway/carrier/helo pads.  The only reason they'd miss having a good weapon is to make it easier to TK another pilot. 

Won't solve the camping/whoring problem, and it will simply penalize the "good" players from being able to take advantage of an opportunity like when they're not in a Pilot kit and just capped the enemy base and there's a jet or chopper sitting there, and so on.  Not to mention the problems you'd have with enemy base campers.
The Soup Nazi
I only mentioned this because it seems that EA and Dice seem to be striving for a "somewhat" realistic battlefield experience.  Of course there are elements that are not realistic whatsoever in the game, but this is one thing that I'm surprised they left out.

Sure it's nice to be able to take enemy air assets as your own while playing as a sniper (for instance), but chances are a sniper in the real world is not trained to pilot aircraft.

I did think about the comment someone had about a blackhawk full of passengers that would have to bail if the pilot got shot out.  Think about what might happen in a real-life situation if this would happen.  Surely one of the passengers would frantically try to keep the chopper in the air.  Even if it's not a pilot kit trying to take over, maybe they could have some sort of "common sense" to keep the chopper from going down.   But their abilities would be dramatically less than a pilot kit.  Maybe the controls would be overly sensitive or something to let the player know that they don't have as much ability to pilot the chopper.

Just ideas that I've been tossing around...
kontrolcrimson
Get your body beat.
+183|6829|Australia
isnt it america's army that has a training thing you have to do before you play? that would be cool, teach the private's so they dont have to ask stupid questions. from there you can go into the other traing sessions for stuff.
ISIK_Dark
+0|6841|Pueblo
Just A thought But maybe there could be a thing implemented like the commander where you have to apply for a pilot position for the round.  This way the rest of your team will get out there and fight instead of having 20 guys standing on the helo pad waiting for artillary to hit them in the head.

Might be good for the noobs to have to fight the ground fight and earn some points and rank before you can just take the choppers and jets.

I don't know.....Just throwing out ideas like everyone else.

Last edited by ISIK_Dark (2005-09-27 23:14:52)

Nikola Bathory
Karkand T-90 0wnage
+163|6788|Bulgaria
7 kits are OK... My point is that having too many kits is not a good idea. Maybe 1 more, but having 9 or 10 kits would be stupid IMHO.

PS - first post!!
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6843|Missoula, MT

ISIK_Dark wrote:

Just A thought But maybe there could be a thing implemented like the commander where you have to apply for a pilot position for the round.  This way the rest of your team will get out there and fight instead of having 20 guys standing on the helo pad waiting for artillary to hit them in the head.

Might be good for the noobs to have to fight the ground fight and earn some points and rank before you can just take the choppers and jets.

I don't know.....Just throwing out ideas like everyone else.
Good one...although after I started a new account last night, five minutes into the game I turned off the sound cause it was so annoying hearing that dude with the instructions on everything!  Plus, who can hear him with battles going on anyway?! 
plasmaFLY
+1|6788
OH I know I know, why wouldnt they implement a COOK kit? You got a white dress and you cook for soldiers and you give them food and it revives them. Gears would be Butterknife, Meat Hack, Pepper Powder ( to throw in the eyes if you are being attacked in the military outpost kitchen while cooking healthy food for soldiers) and pre-packet McDonalds liquid food servings, so you can throw them like a medic.

leave them classes alone plz. we dont need no pilot classes, i mean what happens if you land and theres a tank near you and you got an enemy tank coming up? will you like crouch and hide behind the tank that you cant take because you dont have a tank license? EA PLEASE DONT DO THIS
holocost
+1|6789|ireland,cork

plasmaFLY wrote:

OH I know I know, why wouldnt they implement a COOK kit? You got a white dress and you cook for soldiers and you give them food and it revives them. Gears would be Butterknife, Meat Hack, Pepper Powder ( to throw in the eyes if you are being attacked in the military outpost kitchen while cooking healthy food for soldiers) and pre-packet McDonalds liquid food servings, so you can throw them like a medic.

leave them classes alone plz. we dont need no pilot classes, i mean what happens if you land and theres a tank near you and you got an enemy tank coming up? will you like crouch and hide behind the tank that you cant take because you dont have a tank license? EA PLEASE DONT DO THIS
you are absolutely right man
WormGuts
+17|6796|Dayton, Ohio
well this is an interesting idea...

here's a thought to help move it some...

to prevent having loads of people taking this kit and sitting around waiting for someone else to get shot down.  you could set a limited number of pilot kits allowed per side per round (say one pilot/vehicle).
to decide who gets to be in this limited number you could either :

A) have the CO appoint his pilots (verify)
B) give it to the best (most kills in craft)
C) award the kit to the best (k:d ratio)

among those that apply for it.
Strayfire
Hooker
+0|6787|PA, USA

WormGuts wrote:

well this is an interesting idea...

here's a thought to help move it some...

to prevent having loads of people taking this kit and sitting around waiting for someone else to get shot down.  you could set a limited number of pilot kits allowed per side per round (say one pilot/vehicle).
to decide who gets to be in this limited number you could either :

A) have the CO appoint his pilots (verify)
B) give it to the best (most kills in craft)
C) award the kit to the best (k:d ratio)

among those that apply for it.
A) With all these idiot commanders around?
B) Then how would starter pilots ever get it?
C) Same as B.
FrEaK
+1|6784|Finland
I think its a good idea to have a new kit for this game but i  think that some kits should be unlockable;
Let's take spec ops, for example. To unlock the spec ops kit players should first unlock some medals and ribbons.
The idea to this is obvious: It would give some challenge to this game, and more goals to get. These would be the starting kits: Assault, Support. OR this upgrade would give more than just a weapon to kit. It would upgrade the whole kit, cause still I use the same pistol and same c4 when playing with Spec ops unit. U know...this should make sense..
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!

FrEaK wrote:

I think its a good idea to have a new kit for this game but i  think that some kits should be unlockable;
Let's take spec ops, for example. To unlock the spec ops kit players should first unlock some medals and ribbons.
The idea to this is obvious: It would give some challenge to this game, and more goals to get. These would be the starting kits: Assault, Support. OR this upgrade would give more than just a weapon to kit. It would upgrade the whole kit, cause still I use the same pistol and same c4 when playing with Spec ops unit. U know...this should make sense..
Interesting. What you are talking about here is a 2nd tier of kit classes. Basically you have to lets say master the Assault Kit and the Sniper Kit showing that you have good combat skill and also covert skill before you can be a class that is the combination of both which is Spec Ops.

Its very a cool idea and is something that some MMORPG games have started to do. Of course their reasoning behind it is slighly different. But I do like the challenge and the growth in that. But I don't see how many other special kits their could be. For example, Engineer + AT might get you a better AT weapon or perhaps a smaller but more effective one so you can carry more rockets?  Or Supply and Sniper could get you more clips and claymores and perhaps the ability to better mask yourself in urban terrain?

Just some ideas. I know that EA/DICE isn't imaginative enough to implement these. But we are just dreaming after all.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
FrEaK
+1|6784|Finland
yes but dont get me wrong because im not that good in english because im from Finland.
But I mean that in "real-life" soldiers just dont go out to war and choose to be a Spec Ops or what its called...
suggesting that they would need some medals and ribbons to even get the spec ops kit. Can u understand my point here?
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!

FrEaK wrote:

yes but dont get me wrong because im not that good in english because im from Finland.
But I mean that in "real-life" soldiers just dont go out to war and choose to be a Spec Ops or what its called...
suggesting that they would need some medals and ribbons to even get the spec ops kit. Can u understand my point here?
Yes. That they should prove their skill with other classes before they are allowed to take a special class like Spec Ops. I understand.
[A-51]-.Bond
+1|6842
Why not just make it a subclass or something...Spend experiance you earn to be a pilot....It would definately give people something more to strive for...Should I spend my experiance to be a pilot or keep it and keep trying to gain rank...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard