Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6775|Noizyland

I've noticed a severe amount of hostility for this new unlock. Understandibly really, as everyone swears by the DAO-12*, which is fair enough, but there's a lack of love and information on this gun - it dosn't even have a Wiki entry, so I'd like to raise awareness of this SMG that I really enjoy.

Okay, so if you care, you will notice that my account dosn't have the gun unlocked, but just to let you know that I'm not talking complete bullshit here, I have a Corporal account where I've unlocked all Sniper and AT unlocks, so I have tried it out extensivly. It's a good gun.

The P90 is clearly the best submachine gun in the game. Obviously, submachine guns are not the most popular weapons due to their innacuracy and lack of power, and most serious AT players opt for the relyable DAO-12 shotgun which serves well in close combat, (i.e: the only time an AT soldier should be confronting enemy troops.) For those who don't like shotguns and want to hit players at a further range, the P90 will fulfil your every need.

The P90 offers two firing modes, a large magzine and a scope, which makes it easier to be effective with the SMG. It has identical power to the opther SMGs, but a larger magazine which will prevent you from suddenly finding you have no ammo, as is the case with the other three AT SMGs. it as actually only very slightly more accurate than the core guns, but that included with the score will mean you can use your skill to place your shots exactly where you want them. It 'feels' similar to an Assault Rifle, with less power.

It has a slower firing rate - a full 33% slower than the other SMGs, but being more effective in ranged combat will more than make up for this flaw - you will have more time to fire of fewer rounds... if you know what I mean. Come to think of it, the gun is actually slower in everything. draw time, re-loading time and firing time, but by so little, (except perhaps re-loading,) that the difference won't be noticed.

Another flaw would be the fact that you only get two extra clips, which means that you will have to rely on Support troops to resupply you more. Still, as mentioned, the larger magazine attempts to make up for this small problem, so try not to re-load after every enemy you kill as some people have forced into habit.

Overall, the gun does have it's good points and faults, as all guns do, but in terms of relyability for those who don't want to use shotguns, and actually have a chance at medium and even long ranges, the P90 will be a great gun for the keen AT player.

Real world Sats for those who care:

Caliber:  5.7 x 28 mm
Action:  Delayed Blowback, closed breech
Mass:  2.5 kg when empty, 3kg when loaded.
Length:  50 cm, or 20n inches
Rate of fire:  900 rounds/minute, (which differs from the BF2 version which has a firing rate of 600 rpm.)
Magazine:  50 rounds
Range:  200 metres.

*DAO stands for Double Action Only. I didn't know that. It's also been nicknamed "The Streetsweeper."

Last edited by Tyferra (2006-03-12 23:43:15)

[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Sentinel
Cheeseburger Connoisseur
+145|6659|Australia
Good effort. Peronsally i love the P90. The DAO-12, in my opinion, is the worst unlock in the game, and it was a relief to see that the Anti-Tank was finally getting a good weapon. I used to fire rockets at enemy soldiers instead of using the base gun or the DAO.
P90 = Awesome, and very nice work with all the analysis/info.
sir_not_appearing_in
+1|6721|Dunedin, New Zealand
I agree totally, the P90 is a great weapon from what I have use if for so far. I only just unlocked it so haven't had much of a chance to play around with it yet but seems like a good weapon. Although i have noticed that at close range and when firing full blast as can happen, i seem to be left wanting. Aside from that a pretty nice weapon.
Kamikaze17
Over the line!
+70|6750|Mark it zero.
i find that it is much easier to kill a person with a pistol at longer ranges than a p90. it does more damage and has a higher rate of fire. so for long ranges, i use pistol. and for close up the DAO is way better.
edit: and also no one tell me that i need to learn how to use the gun, because i do know how to use it really well. it just find the DAO/pistol to be more effective.

Last edited by Kamikaze17 (2006-03-13 00:52:40)

Zukabazuka
+23|6686
Just hate that it has the same amount of damage as PP-19 and PP-19 has higher firerate so this gun is kinda better in close combat over P90.
Sgt.Yngve
+3|6688|Sweden

Iron_Sentinel wrote:

The DAO-12, in my opinion, is the worst unlock in the game
Could you motivate that? I think it's, by far, the most important unlock, since the default weapon is so weak. In close combat (the only kind an AT-trooper should engage in) it's so deadly it's ridiculus. You are far more dangerous with the DAO than with the MP5 or its MEC/chinese counterparts. The only downside that I can see is the long reload time.

As for the P90, I don't find it very usefull. At all.

I'm not flaming you, I just want to see how you motivate that statement.

Last edited by Sgt.Yngve (2006-03-13 01:08:01)

AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
+67|6788|Hanging onto the UAV
I just can't seem to get the feel for the P-90. I've not written it off by any means, but it just doesn't seem to click for me. 
StormEye
Sniper
+50|6646|Malibu
I finally learnt how to use MP5 and I use that instead of DAO-12 (I don't have P90 yet but I used it few times, interesting gun. have to learn to use that one just like the MP5). MP5 is suprisingly accurate contrary to belief. Of course it is not a rifle so it shouldn't be used for long range fire fights but it performs great when you are in close combat and have to kill multiple enemies which come in wave pattern. Quick reload and accurate placement of shots to the head can get you through trouble spots. Since DAO-12 takes too long to reload, it is more like a noob tactic of "I'm gonna kill one and die once. I suck so can't do anything more than that." Sad...
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
I think it depends.

On karkand, at the start and in hotel v. square battles, its always gonna be DAO.

On sharqi, DAO for surv post v. city enterance, p90 everywhere else.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
dracul
+2|6808
MP5 is suprisingly accurate contrary to belief.
In the same patch that added the p.90 they also buffed ALL the at guns across the board.
Everyone who hates the mp5 are probably recalling the gun prior to the patch.

In regards to that, it WAS the shittiest gun in the game. The only thing it had going for it was magazine capactiy and rate of fire. It did shitty damage and was so inaccurate that trying to use it outside of cqb was suicidal.

after the patch, it is actually pretty grim in cqb, and somewhat effective at medium.
Inquatitis
+1|6639
speaking from personal experience the P-90 is an amazing weapon.
the rate of fire just gives it such a lovely sound and it is also quite accurate.
now in BF2, they went ahead and nerfed it.
sheggalism
+16|6743|France
Too bad the P90 haven't its real-life caracteristics : 900 rpm, almost laser-accurate full auto fire (3kg, nearly no-recoil, and a barrel of 26.3cm), very good handiness, armor penetrating ammo (the wonderful 5.7x28mm SS190 from FN Herstal). P90 is a cross between SMG and Carabines (short-barrel assault rifles), so it's both good at close range and mid-range gunfights.
C0mRAdE_MikE
+1|6629
the p90 i like, but it is still way too unrealistically inaccurate, and has a bullcrap low rate of fire.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6718|Riva, MD
The DAO-12 is nicknamed the streetsweeper because U.S. cops use them in dire situations for that.  Just pop in some shells and you can take out an entire mob on the streets.
lord_tyler_486
+54|6753|Upper Franconia
I hate the P-90 and find it inaccurate and it does no damage and everything. Short range = DAO, med range = pistol, long range = missile launcher. whats the use of a giantic magazine and such in close combat if your weapon doesnt even hit a garage door 1 meter away and IF it hits, it does no damage due to the lame rate of fire. And if I head-shot someone with it, he doesnt even die, he just looses about 50% health.
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6734|Singapore
DAo 12 is freaking good if u know how to use. I took on a medic and assault guy capping a flag killing them both.
Pagan[CyC]
DAO12 Whore
+1|6766

StormEye wrote:

... Since DAO-12 takes too long to reload, it is more like a noob tactic of "I'm gonna kill one and die once. I suck so can't do anything more than that." Sad...
Hardly, for two reasons:

1) You don't have to wait for the DAO-12 to finish reloading before you use it.  Switch to knife and switch back!

2) It doesn't take twelve shots to kill someone. Aim!
killaer
+41|6719
I love the DOA on oman. When people creep behind the huge sandbag things or cap a flag, you just need to go prone right next to their faces, and before they know what's happening you pump a bunch of lead into their faces.

I hate the P90. It's SO weak..
Slink
+17|6698

The P90 wrote:

Rate of fire:  900 rounds/minute
And THAT'S why I love it every other time I used it in non-BF2.

It's okay in BF2, a bit slow but that means typically I won't be spraying bullets all over the place and hitting nothing (I hate the MP5 )  Actually, with that said, it feels like an UMP45 from CS:S.
Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6761
Another flaw would be the fact that you only get two extra clips, which means that you will have to rely on Support troops to resupply you more. Still, as mentioned, the larger magazine attempts to make up for this small problem, so try not to re-load after every enemy you kill as some people have forced into habit
Its so low powered I wouldnt want to risk a firefight with any less than 25 bullets. The MP5 and Type (insert number) have fast reload times, enough to duck away and reload before they can, while the PP-19 has a 45 shot magazine.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6691|Tampa Bay Florida
OMG!!! I like the P90 too.  It's my preferred weapon for when I'm playing anti tank.  Not saying I'd chose it over my M16, but you get the point.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6691|Tampa Bay Florida

lord_tyler_486 wrote:

I hate the P-90 and find it inaccurate and it does no damage and everything. Short range = DAO, med range = pistol, long range = missile launcher. whats the use of a giantic magazine and such in close combat if your weapon doesnt even hit a garage door 1 meter away and IF it hits, it does no damage due to the lame rate of fire. And if I head-shot someone with it, he doesnt even die, he just looses about 50% health.
IDK why you think the P90 isn't accurate.  I find it very accurate, compared to the other Anti-tank guns.  At medium ranges, I think the P90 is better than the F2000
.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6810|Marathon, Florida Keys
p90 is accurate but by the time it takes 6 hits to kill somoneone 3 of the enemys shots have killed you.
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
k9transfer
+22|6659
This is off topic from the P90, but does anyone else think the M95 is way underpowered.  Having seen this gun in action personally, if you shot an infantryman once with it, it would do MASSIVE damage.  I know this is unrealistic for the game, maybe they could have it shoot through more items such as walls and what not.  The M95 will penetrate most walls and some armor.  I would like to see this incorporated instead of just shooting through cockpit glass.  Just an opinion, anyone else?
Cbass
Kick His Ass!
+371|6695|Howell, Mi USA
Cool i was wondering about the P90. i have an unlock coming in about 4000 points and i dunno what to get P90 or the L96A1 ?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/bb53a522780eff5b30ba3252d44932cc2f5b8c4f.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard