Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6858
Gunner can't be effective. You Can't use TV guided missle. Because he wants to show you how well he flys. Also Super eratic flying so gun is Useless. sometimes a slow aproach lets you really work them over and use Tv guided missle as "stand off " weapon for defence elimanation.
Home
Section.80
+447|6868|Seattle, Washington, USA

I see what you mean, and sometimes they really should fly higher. But you should also take into consideration that flying very low makes them a much harder target for AA turrets.
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6868|San Francisco

Flying low has its uses, and they should be used only for specific purposes (such as avoiding AA, and other such evasive maneuvers) Constantly flying low to the ground is very much pointless as it negates any use of your gunner.

Even worse imo are the idiots who take off in the attack chopper without a gunner, and when I call them on it they come back at me with this one... "if you need a gunner in your chopper then you suck!" rofl, sure... tell me that when my gunner tv guides you from across the map.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6864|Bryan/College Station, TX
You know I would normally agree that flying low is pointless for an aircraft however how many maps are there that have planes and the CVR is like only 100 ft?  How the hell can you bomb target when you are only at 1000 ft and you can't even see the ground much less the target? Do you risk going in and running into a stray twig from a tree that will blow your plane to smitherins just because you can't see it until it's too late?

This game is rather dumb when it comes to planes. Too many maps have so much fog and haze that aircraft are just about useless at normal real life flying altitudes and the maps are way too small for fast flying aircraft.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Miakei
+1|6844|Los Angeles, CA
I see the advantage to flying low to reach your destination, the popping up for the gunner to hit the target with the Guided missle. It really depends on what your target is. Flying low is great for taking out soft targets, and strafing runs with the FFRs. I was gunning for a guys called [echo]bigsushi tonight. Damn, he had some serious skills. Nape of the earth flying and popping up for target acquisition. I wish there was a way to visually communicate targets while gunning though. Like, the gunner target locking on something, so it shows up to the pilot, so he can maneuver into position.

P.S. If you ever see Pinksock5 and Flower5, watch out, they TK for the choppers.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6864|Bryan/College Station, TX

Miakei wrote:

I see the advantage to flying low to reach your destination, the popping up for the gunner to hit the target with the Guided missle. It really depends on what your target is. Flying low is great for taking out soft targets, and strafing runs with the FFRs. I was gunning for a guys called [echo]bigsushi tonight. Damn, he had some serious skills. Nape of the earth flying and popping up for target acquisition. I wish there was a way to visually communicate targets while gunning though. Like, the gunner target locking on something, so it shows up to the pilot, so he can maneuver into position.

P.S. If you ever see Pinksock5 and Flower5, watch out, they TK for the choppers.
One of the biggest requests for the game is the ability to be able to VOIP to your aircraft crew while flying. Unless you are in the same squad there is simply no communication between the pilot and the gunners.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Miakei
+1|6844|Los Angeles, CA
VOIP in the helo would be nice, but I think the visual would work better. I mean, there are a few people that play whose voices remind me of a pre-pubescent PeeWee Herman, with the intelligence to match. The last thing I want is to hear them spout off about how uber they are in the game.
Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6867|Australia
yeah had that the other day humm im guessin this guy had an alt. of 1 or 2 and well someone got lock on us sure he droped flares but what good was that they hit the ground like right away and the missiles still got us...

aye a voip connection would be great in the bomber jet/choppers. but in the jet i just look behind and do the spotted thing and it shows the redflashing jet following us for a bit just keep doin that
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6858
lots of good points I Evade too. but i mean just showing off! then laughing when they wreck and kill you.
McCullough
+7|6859

Horseman 77 wrote:

Gunner can't be effective. You Can't use TV guided missle. Because he wants to show you how well he flys. Also Super eratic flying so gun is Useless. sometimes a slow aproach lets you really work them over and use Tv guided missle as "stand off " weapon for defence elimanation.
Quit the Whining, It's alot of fun to fly low. If you want to use the TV guided Missile as it suposed to be used fly with a buddy as the pilot.
When i fly i bomb some tanks when i'm out of ammo i fly around the map and let CO pilot take out vehicles with the TV guided.
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6862|Missoula, MT
How about "show offs" who fly too high?  Anyone see that video of the two guys who flew their planes straight up and jumped out?  Then dove back to their planes why they were falling and flew away?  That was pretty cool.
nayo450
+-1|6813
now that would be ausom to see
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6809|Singapore

that's possible?
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6862|Missoula, MT
Forget where I got it but it's done by the Karma clan...look for it.  The file I have seen is called karma_stunts.wmv. 
Chou
+737|6811
If the nose is too far pointed at the ground, the gunner has a break.
PermaG
+1|6867
I just like doing barrelrolls with a loaded transport chopper. Trying to master flips now.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6809|Singapore

barrel rolls? Sweet! haha i can do a complete one but i can't regain control in time. =P
elbowdeeplove
BWNED!!!
+0|6802|Texas
I try to fly so my gunner gets good shots....e.g. flying over an enemy spawn point slow enough for them to line up shots, hovering over a tank for tv missile.  I rack up tons of assist points for doing that.  Just gotta watch out for the other attack helicopter. If he sees you hovering in one area, you're toast.  See you on the battlefield.
Miakei
+1|6844|Los Angeles, CA
See, if there was a better form of communication between the gunner and pilot, the gunner could tag objects for the pilot to maneuver towards. I mean, the attack chopper would be absolutely devastating on the field.
Essentially, the gunner would spot. I dunno how many times I've seen enemy armor rolling towards a base, but my pilot whisked by too fast for me to 'spot' it for him. Or as a pilot, I line up the shot for an enemy tank, and the gunner all but ignores the damn thing in favor of taking out infantry.
Duskwolf
+0|6800
Hmm.. Well i'm a noob to BF2.. but i know in Vietnam and original (Damn choppers then were a bitch) I always made sure my gunner had a good LOS where he was shooting.. if it was needed... Not that i liked the planes much after a while.. in the original they were good fun though.

Flying a plane low is only useful to avoid AA, or do a bomb run that needs to be fast and accurate to make sure you take your targets.

However, i tend to fly choppers.. My mates usually do air support while i drop teams in.. which requires flying low.. and fast as possible.. so Flying low in an assault air, fairly useless unless you're avoiding AA or similar, but low flying if your making a drop is good.. providing you can handle it.. skid stops are popular in my book

So depends on the situation as to wether flying low is bad

I'm gonna get started on BF2 though.. despite what i heard about it originally.. I feel like i'm missing out on something.

Last edited by Duskwolf (2005-10-04 21:35:55)

Double-0-Kills
+1|6863
I GET SICK AND TIRED OF MORONS WHO DON'T REALIZE THAT THEY CAN FIRE THE MISSLE FROM OUT OF SIGHT AND GUIDE THE *TV GUIDED MISSLE* TO THE TARGET!!!!

Sorry - had to do that - it's been pissing me off for so long - I will be on Sharqi map and take off at the radio tower - hover for the guy to fire the missle, and he just sits there yelling "lets go, lets go" (I type MISSLE)
"Let's Go, Let's Go"
(I type moron)
and if I'm just really fed up and pissed of I "accidentally" go flying into a building, then type oops

Anyway - that's rare - but I usually save that joy for some moron who tks for chopper and I quick steal the pilots seat and he has to take the gunner position - "oops "

Just too many smacktards out there on the standard pub servers
Duskwolf
+0|6800
Yea.. i can relate to that.. at present my BF2 won't even run.. yay.
So i don't get to fly into buildings :S i mean.. kill enemy targets.. yes...
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6809|Singapore

I don't like firing the TV Missile out of sight. Its a pretty IFFY thing... heh i tend to over lead and the hits the front of my target.
Double-0-Kills
+1|6863
overclicking is the leading cause of missing when using the tv guided missle (Hellfire missle)
Dizazter
Crazy has a mind of its own
+0|6841

polarbearz wrote:

I don't like firing the TV Missile out of sight. Its a pretty IFFY thing... heh i tend to over lead and the hits the front of my target.
Yeah I agree, and its a waste of a missile unless you're hovering over a resupply.  But it does have value vs static targets, AA bunkers and the like.

But maybe I lack the skill, but I cant seem to hit moving targets unless I see them first to guage leading.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard