sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6674|Planet Seibertron ;)

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I'm horrified at the suggestion of cheapening the memory while buying less hard drive storage for the same price as alot of storage, not that I have anything against the awesomeness of the 150GB Raptor. If you don't want the $300 3500LLPros, go with the (2x1GB) TWINX2048-3200C2PRO for $230 (2-3-3-6) instead. Honestly...I can guarandamntee you that even without overclocking, the average gamer will feel the difference between low latency memory and valueram. Sheesh.

During gameplay, it's the memory and not the hard drive that makes the difference.
If you are willing to prove that to be true, by all means document it with the hardwares and the numbers involved.  I'll then take a look at it and see for myself if it's truly worth paying the extra dollars over.  What the average gamer will feel is entirely and purely a subjective matter.

As far back as I remember, the difference in RAM timings make such little differences that I truly doubt that one would notice.  The performance benefits gained from the faster timings doesn't make up the money spent to gain, perhaps on average, 5fps and under.  And what is 5fps of a difference mean to the lot of us?  I'm sure it hardly makes any difference at all.  Discounting the overclocking factor, the difference becomes even smaller.

The many of us who have enough to go for 2GB on the bare minimum have seen it with our own eyes that the upgrade from 1GB is worth the cash spent.  The amount of time spent waiting at the Verify stage is reduced and there are plenty of us who swear by that it is worth it alone, albeit cheap at times (being the first one in often equates to getting priority over hardware, if not Commander role).  However, overall it reduces our start-up jitter, the HD grinding, and having to wait 15 seconds up to a minute for everything to smoothen out.  We get to experience BF2 "the way it was intended to be played."

We can go back and forth on this.  However, the HD area has plenty of routes to choose from and any one of them is an option.  The point is that there are other choices.  There's nothing wrong with going all-out on getting the best of everything.  The way I set up a system is viewing the best value given the products available as well as the prices at the time.  There's nothing said about what the person wanted in a system -- a system that just works, or a very fast system on a given budget.  It is part of the reason why we think money could have been saved by going the other route.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Look...performance differences on paper, benchmarks and actual end-user systems are three completely different worlds altogether. Perhaps I am more picky, but as far back as I can remember, from the hundreds of systems I've put together and maintained, I have noticed significant difference between high performance and "value ram" in gaming applications. So grab some Corsair 2x1GB VS2GBKIT400C3's ($100 cheaper than the TWINX2048-3200C2PR at shops that don't rip you off) if you want, but don't expect top-notch smoothness. "Value" types of RAM are notorious for random failure, so make sure you get something from a shop or manufacturer with a lifetime warranty.

Now, if if someone at all isn't serious about being able to run games on full detail for the next year, then they should by all means go ahead with your valuram...but you'll never catch me saying that memory speed is less important than hard drive speed for gaming. That is just sheer lunacy. But going back to the original post (which I thought said ~$2000 to begin with; thus my slapping together a ~$2000 system), then yes. Valuram (and a few other part downgrades in mainboard, CPU and hard drive) will lower the overall price significantly by around ~$1000. More, if you slash the sound card and use onboard.

I could retort, quote tech stuff and post links to manufacturer articles 'til cell CPU's render all this obsolete, but a five-page discourse is going to be lost on most people.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-18 18:08:59)

.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6694|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I'm horrified at the suggestion of cheapening the memory while buying less hard drive storage for the same price as alot of storage, not that I have anything against the awesomeness of the 150GB Raptor. If you don't want the $300 3500LLPros, go with the (2x1GB) TWINX2048-3200C2PRO for $230 (2-3-3-6) instead. Honestly...I can guarandamntee you that even without overclocking, the average gamer will feel the difference between low latency memory and valueram. Sheesh.

During gameplay, it's the memory and not the hard drive that makes the difference.
i guarantee the average gamer doesnt now wtf timings are and won't know the difference
rawls
Banned
+11|6813|California, USA
Hello folks. I just built my second rig and went Sata. Installed Windows, booted and evrything was fine. Installed all updates for everything. The rig is fine. However I tried to connect my old hard drive (ATA100) for file retrieval and the rig would no longer boot up. "OS error" I think is what it said. Any advice?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

.ACB|_Cutthroat1 wrote:

i guarantee the average gamer doesnt now wtf timings are and won't know the difference
When I put together a system for one, I don't want them to find out later and come back to yell at me, either. It's happened. Guys with their valuram look at their buddies' mostly identical systems with high performance RAM, they see a noticable choppiness in comparison, and they decide to badger me over the phone or in person. So I just make it easy on them and tell them to buy decent RAM so they won't have to upgrade for another few years if they decide to increase the detail level.
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6674|Planet Seibertron ;)

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Look...performance differences on paper, benchmarks and actual end-user systems are three completely different worlds altogether.
It is the reason why performance in the eyes of the user is based subjectively on the person's feedback.  The way you worded your side of the story seem to indicate/imply that there is concrete and visible evidence that there is a profound difference between average latency RAM and high-end/performance RAM.  Thus I question the reasoning behind spending over US$200 for a 2GB kit when the absolute minimum is around $150-$160.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Perhaps I am more picky, but as far back as I can remember, from the hundreds of systems I've put together and maintained, I have noticed significant difference between high performance and "value ram" in gaming applications. So grab some Corsair 2x1GB VS2GBKIT400C3's ($100 cheaper than the TWINX2048-3200C2PR at shops that don't rip you off) if you want, but don't expect top-notch smoothness. "Value" types of RAM are notorious for random failure, so make sure you get something from a shop or manufacturer with a lifetime warranty.
This is why I ponder how can simple RAM timings have such a significant impact on game performance that, by anyone's guess, can equate that to higher framerate and performance.  Granted, I might have misworded by saying to get the cheapest 2GB kit one can find.  However, it's worth mentioning that a variety of different memory companies were mentioned on a different thread pertaining to which brand is to be considered.  It is why I have always kept a few references around in case someone needs them.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Now, if if someone at all isn't serious about being able to run games on full detail for the next year, then they should by all means go ahead with your valuram...but you'll never catch me saying that memory speed is less important than hard drive speed for gaming. That is just sheer lunacy. But going back to the original post (which I thought said ~$2000 to begin with; thus my slapping together a ~$2000 system), then yes. Valuram (and a few other part downgrades in mainboard, CPU and hard drive) will lower the overall price significantly by around ~$1000. More, if you slash the sound card and use onboard.

I could retort, quote tech stuff and post links to manufacturer articles 'til cell CPU's render all this obsolete, but a five-page discourse is going to be lost on most people.
But here's the difference... when I said that people can save a chunk by getting a different pair, the intention was to mention there are options.  There are some of us who believes, subjectively, that high-end/performance RAM is not something worth spending $300 for.  Like I said, we can go back and forth on this.  And we'd get nowhere on it.  I'm not here to say that it's poor buying decision to go with high speed RAM.  Only to bring up alternate routes.

Again, I say that we know nothing about what the person has in mind when it comes to building a new system.  Had we known, we probably would have left the matter alone and be on our way.  But we incidentally instigated a debate regarding this whole ordeal about memory timings all due to our difference in setup ideals.

(note: By 'we', I mean Cutthroat and myself.  However, I was debating whether to include him or simply rephrase the final paragraph to 'I'.)
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6694|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

.ACB|_Cutthroat1 wrote:

When I put together a system for one, I don't want them to find out later and come back to yell at me, either. It's happened. Guys with their valuram look at their buddies' mostly identical systems with high performance RAM, they see a noticable choppiness in comparison, and they decide to badger me over the phone or in person. So I just make it easy on them and tell them to buy decent RAM so they won't have to upgrade for another few years if they decide to increase the detail level.
find some ram benshies to prove it makes a diff......
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

First of all, using one of your links as an example (yes, I do check around those sites every now and then), I derived this, which at a rebate resulting in about $120 seems an awesome deal, beings that the average street price for a pair of those is about ~$220. The timings are none too shabby either. (note: prior to my posts here, the -$80 deal from newegg was unknown to me.) However, some users seem to be having difficulty. Whether this is their fault or the DIMMs', I'm not sure.

But since you must pick apart posts paragraph by paragraph (meaning no offense either way, surely), I feel I must indulge in the same.

=====

sixshot wrote:

It is the reason why performance in the eyes of the user is based subjectively on the person's feedback.  The way you worded your side of the story seem to indicate/imply that there is concrete and visible evidence that there is a profound difference between average latency RAM and high-end/performance RAM.  Thus I question the reasoning behind spending over US$200 for a 2GB kit when the absolute minimum is around $150-$160.
There is visible evidence based on the subjective experience of myself, my friends, and customers pertaining to the difference in game performance with low-end valuram vs. mid-high to high-end performance RAM. An additional five or ten frames per second (ofttimes more) might not sound like much on paper or a bar graph, but at least 80% of the people I've worked and played with can detect marked improvement. Then again, if I demonstrate two different systems to someone and they don't notice any change, don't seem to care, or are on a budget, then of course I'll recommend the cheaper end of the hardware spectrum.

The reasoning is there.

sixshot wrote:

This is why I ponder how can simple RAM timings have such a significant impact on game performance that, by anyone's guess, can equate that to higher framerate and performance.  Granted, I might have misworded by saying to get the cheapest 2GB kit one can find.  However, it's worth mentioning that a variety of different memory companies were mentioned on a different thread pertaining to which brand is to be considered.  It is why I have always kept a few references around in case someone needs them.
Some games rely heavily on artifacts called generally called portals and antiportals to maintain a high performance. These are strategically placed in maps to block out what isn't visible to the 360 degree player's perspective in an effort to keep poly and texture rendering to a minimum. A disadvantage to these is that if a player steps around a corner and looks through one of these artifacts, every object it's blocking off must suddenly be rendered. This can cause a modest tick that will begin to annoy even the most casual gamer. As computer games begin to use more and more layers for texturing, the amount of information able to be stored in the memory, as well as how fast the memory is able to cycle through this information will be very important if you want to play at max detail. Again, as I posted earlier, someone looking to build a $1k system (original poster) now obviously doesn't really plan to crank UT2007 up to the max upon release. I had originally, mistakenly put together a system that would average ~$2K for parts.

I'm not at all biased against other memory manufacturers such as OCZ, Kingston or Geil, but I am in the habit of recommending brands with which I have personally had good experiences.

sixshot wrote:

But here's the difference... when I said that people can save a chunk by getting a different pair, the intention was to mention there are options.  There are some of us who believes, subjectively, that high-end/performance RAM is not something worth spending $300 for.  Like I said, we can go back and forth on this.  And we'd get nowhere on it.  I'm not here to say that it's poor buying decision to go with high speed RAM.  Only to bring up alternate routes.
I agree heartily with revealing purchase options, but I originally disagreed with the suggestion to buy a 150GB Raptor hard drive rather than a pair of high-performance memory, when the end user will see better gaming with the memory investment than with the Raptor. This is a sentiment you will find in plenty of tech forums and shops.

sixshot wrote:

Again, I say that we know nothing about what the person has in mind when it comes to building a new system.  Had we known, we probably would have left the matter alone and be on our way.  But we incidentally instigated a debate regarding this whole ordeal about memory timings all due to our difference in setup ideals.
You know nothing until the person tells you what they want in a new system. In this thread's case, refer to post #1. I'm not going to go saying who started what debate, though.

=====

All that said, with the upcoming onset of socket AM2 systems' recommended use of DDR2-800, DDR memory will be effectively rendered obsolete within the following few quarters. Thus, if someone were needy enough to pick up an Athlon 64 system now, they might as well grab DDR memory good enough to last them through to their next computer purchase (good enough to at least not pose a bottleneck), rather than risk going to upgrade later and discovering, much to their dismay, that the improved memory they decided to wait for has actually experienced a price increase due to low availability.

And no, I'm not going to sit around and dig up nitpicking 2x1GB DIMM pair comparisons and benchmarks when they're already imminently Googlable. And no, I'm afraid that "benchies" Quake 3 on an Athlon XP with a Radeon 9600 is a poor example. Sorry, Cutthroat, but while even valid benchmarks are nice, they don't compare with individual results. You don't tell someone you just built a computer for "but...but it ran fine on Guru3d, don't mind the clipping!"

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-19 10:20:03)

99Ram2500
+6|6613

XxUNDEROATHxX wrote:

well...everyone already beat me here...

dont buy a new system right now, its the worst time to with the new AM2 socket and the Intel Conroes coming out soon, as well as the launch of DX10, which no cards support as of yet(because MS doesnt have a developer kit ready yet)....

but if you have to upgrade no...heres what I would reccomend...

AMD 4200 x2
Zalman 120mm HSF
Asus A8N-SLI32
EVGA 7800GT
2GB Corsair XMS PRO PC3500

1,000 is alot to spend on that kind of an upgrade...
Worst time to buy ?  Every few months something new comes out.  If we took that advice wed all be rockin P3-800's and amd thunderbirds. :-/

Toss the EVGA 7800Gt though and get any brand 7900Gt, same price, more performance.   eVGA is backordered on em now anyways if i remember right.    Asus and gigabyte have plenty out though.

Heres what i would recommend.
$150 on your choice motherboard
$300 - 7900gt
$200 - 2gb ddr / ddr2-667mhz (depending on your cpu)
$200 - two sata 3g hd's in raid 0
$250 - cpu of your choice

If you have an IDE drive, definetly replace it. Raptor.. ehh half/half id still sell it to some sucker and buy new 3g drives. raptors really only shine in random read/write and access times.. data throughput lacks and last i checked BF2 and windows wasnt 10mb in size scattered across the harddrive.    3G all the way.
99Ram2500
+6|6613

.ACB|_Cutthroat1 wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Placebo effect, let em think they are faster.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard