vjs
+19|6767
First thanks for the well thought out well written comments regarding SCSI Sixshot. Perhaps you don't remember but you helped me solve my 8x AGP issue a while back (also gave a decent response). Personally I was never a gamer before, even less of an on-line gamer but BF2 has me hooked. I really know my stuff when it comes to overclocking system building. Mostly for DC applications. Before when it came to video performance I really didn't care, if it drew a bos box I was happy. Now is another story.

I'll first answer MTM then I'll comment regarding scsi again.

MTM,

3G is really enough to play BF2 and other games. I'll give you an example my cousin is currently using an overclocked XP1500 socket a board with a x850pro and 756MB of ram.  Sure I clocked the stink out of the system to get it to perform and he has slower load times but it works and plays well.

You basically have a P4 3G system which kicks the living daylights out of the above machine, you also have ddr ram. You commented that you only have 512MB I'm worried that your board is not a dual channel. (Could you supply specifications on your board and harddrive, please).

Basically I understand your cash situation and I was at your exact same point a month ago. I was using a 9800pro and just wanted more. But the switch to a pci-e board just didn't make sence alot of money, processor, decent video card, motherboard, added up to alot. The only difference was I already had 2G of ram, personally I actually use more than 1G on a daily bases and often more than 2G on various machines with 4G of memory.

Your biggest problem is the 512MB in todays world that's hardly enough and probably your biggest problem especially if you have a single channel board.

So the first question should be do you want ram or not?

The only disadvantage to buying ram now is that later you may want ddr2. But is ddr2 better? Personally the ddr2 specs are not better IMHO compared to decent ddr, the timings are two relaxed. (Inform yourself do some research on ddr2 vs ddr).

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory … 2-ddr.html

Personally I don't see the benifit of the ddr2 vs ddr and the latency is higher. Sure you can get more bandwidth out of ddr2 but do you really need that much bandwidth? For current processor I say no. For future processors yes but then that's another upgrade cycle and possibly a new board with nforce5 or nforce6 chipset which isn't currently available. Second when that upgrade cycle comes you'll probably want the newer faster ddr2. In either case you'll be buying ram again anyways.

Long and the short of both the reasonable recomendations in this thread, buy 2G of the fastest best ddr you can. Make sure it's 2sticks of 1G each, timings of 2-2-2-5, OCZ, GEIL, Patriot, Corsair (not a personal fan).

So if you go that route a decent upgrade for a video card. There are a remedous number of threads on that.

Personally I just purchased a x850pro 256Mb agp card, I'm running on high graphics detail with a >70 fps sometimes 95 fps. You don't need better than that and the game looks wicked. I never knew fighters produced contrails in game, and if your smoking there is no chance of running, that's how much my graphics improved over the 9800pro. I paid 160 bucks refurbished from e-bay you just can't beat that.

On the x850pro, I could overclock from 500/500 to 570/635 and potentially unlock the additional pipelines to 16. The short of it, the card does more than I need at default 500/500.

-------------------------------------

On SCSI, Sixshot, thanks let me comment I actually agree with most of what you said. But I think there are some differences.

I agree your not going to go 15K then certainly don't do scsi, for anything 10K just use the raptor on a SATA.
The setup is a no brainer, and certainly the cheapest way out.
Inaddition if your going to go scsi don't run anything on scsi except for the drives. Sixshot you commented regarding cd's that's a big no no for performance. Actally there is a big difference LVD HVD scsi with the same bandwidth, I'm just talking about 1 drive on a controller that's it.

Also the connections terminators are not that difficult, in this case. It gets complicated when your doing raid-5 DAT, external connectors etc. Keep it simple it's not much difference than setting master and slave for a CD-rom, it  may be new, but a 16-year old could do it with a little searching. All you need is the following.

15K drive with 68-pin connector.
u320 68-pin cable with terminator. (These cables are really easy to find on-line, terminator goes at the end)
u160 or u320 SCSI controller. (Such as adaptec 29160)

You could do a 80-pin drive
80-pin to 68-pin converters those are about 5 bucks and what I'm using, it's an extra step but not bad.

For get the 40-pin 60-pin there were a bunch those are old school and some are even worse than ata66.

A note on HD longevity. Recently WD and a few of the other HD companies changed their warranty periods on HD's, some are only a year now. But SCSI is still 5 years or even 7 years, to me that says something about the cost over a life expectanccy of the product. If I only have to buy a HD once in a 5 year period compared to twice, it's also half the data loss etc.

I also have no problem buying 15K scsi drives used. Alot of people are pulling 72G and 36G drives out of servers to gain storage space by installing 146G drives.

Since you talked about raid, if really wanted to get crazy you could buy two 36G 15K drives a raid controller and cable for less than 400 dollars. How much would two raptors be?

Personally I'd stop at a controller card and a 36G drive that could be done for 200 or less.

For MTM I'd say just start with the memory and video card, that could be done for <400 bucks. The computer would then give him another year at least.

Let forget about all the vista 64-bit for now. There will always be something better. You could always wait for the quad cores as well...
TechGuy
Grammar Nazi
+62|6669
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego - $212.00 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6819103539
Motherboard: EVGA 133-K8-NF41-AX nForce 4 SLI Socket 939 Mobo - Free w/ video card below
Video Card: EVGA 256-P2-N519-AX GeForce 7800GT CO - $349(wait a day or two, 7900 series will cause price to drop) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6814130277
RAM: OCZ Platinum 2GB DDR400 2x1GB kit(2-3-2-5-1T @ 2.65) - $160 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820227210
PSU: Antec TPII 550Watt - $75 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817103940
Hard drive(s) - WD 80GB SATA http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6822135106

Misc(DVD drive, floppy, etc.) - +/- $100

Total = $992

That would make a good rig and would run BF2 maxed any day. You could buy another mobo and get a 7900GT for a good price too. They just came out today.

[iLL]h8+
+26|6712|Florida
I was in the same boat you were, but decided to hold out a little longer.  I do have a question.  Would you guys say that there is a large difference between 1 gig and 2 gig or RAM?

I run a 939 board with a 3500+ AMD 64.  I have 1 gig of Ballistix ram and a 6800 GT OC vid.

I was looking to upgrade, but I am not sure which route.  I already went with 2 74 gig Raptors in a RAID and so happy I did.

So, which would you make your next upgrade?

1) Ram.  1 more gig of Ballistix

2) Proc.  Something Dual Core and faster than 3500+

3) Vid.  I have the 6800 GT OC, but I read about the 7800 GT Superclocked.

Lets just pretend price is important, then if you could just pick one.  Also, I think I might get the RAM regardless because its only around $100, so if I would to combine with the RAM

RAM and Vid or RAM and Proc?

Later.  Thanks.

Oh, the guy who started this thread, I would keep what you have and just upgrade.  If your mobo can handle Dual core I would either get the fastest single core you can afford or a strong Dual if you plan and not upgrading for at least another year.

Thats the most important thing, how often do you upgrade or move to new machines?  That usually out weighs cost and FUTURE technology, because there is ALWAYS going to be the NEW and FASTEST things coming out.  That is how the computer world works.
vjs
+19|6767
O.K. here is a decent article about what one should expect from am2. The new chips we were talking about...

From this article you can see all of our above points ddr2 isn't currently any better and won't these won't be realised until ddr2-800 is avaiable. Reading through the article you can see that it's probably b/c a ddr2-667 is out performed by exisiting ddr400 in many cases.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/21/ … _platform/

------------------------------

To Ill,

I wouldn't say there is a huge difference between 1 and 2G but everything count's. Your situation is a little different since you already have 1G of decent stuff.

If by moving to 2G you mean buying another 2x512 sticks I'd say don't do it. Reason being that 4x512mb sticks although 2G will often times run at more laxed settings. 2.5-3-3-6, for example. The increased latency will often decrease your performance.

If you are going to upgrade buy two sticks of 1G and sell your 2x512's thats a different story. Also always get the fast stuff, since you already have a socket 939 you might want to look into the patriot series.

939 is a little different compared to socket-a and 478(??). Of course you want to run the lowest timings possible. But with 939 you can get away with running ddr at something like 500 with more relaxed timings (this really isn't overclocking).

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm? … amp;page=1

The above is a good article.

For a processor I'd look into the opteron 165 and opteron 170, the e-steppings. They are slow stock (2.0G I think) but alot fo them will overclock to 2.5-2.7 on air. I friend of mine has a couple machines with 170's he is stable at 2.7G on air. He started to get random crashes at just under 2.8G so he clocked it back a bunch, again he was happy with dual core 2.7G would you be...

Problem is this secret is out so buying 170's used on e-bay form an individual probably isn't a good idea. They probably tried to O/C and couldn't, so you wounld be buying a dud not a superoverclocker.  I'd get the 165 or 170 from newegg or directron.

Stick with the 6800 OC the graphic card market is too unstable at the high end, and anything but high end wouldn't be a noticeable improvement, IMHO. What you buy currently for 500 is going to be worth 250 in a couple months that's stupid.

You don't really need an upgrade, but if you have too, I'd go for the 170 oppie ($400 US), the 165's are (~$350) probably better off with the 170's when your spending that much.

Last edited by vjs (2006-03-09 12:46:47)

mtm87tx
+0|6644
just from personal experience, i bought a 3200+ AMD 64bit on a socket 754 i think, i know it wasnt a 939. needless to say it over heated and blew up. i bought this when the first came out so ive been alittle hesitent to buy the newest stuff right when it comes out.

i have no idea what the difference is in RAM, i think i have a P4PSP800 mobo its a ASUS.

and a 120gb WD HD as far as my ram i think its 3200, but im not sure

do i buy 3500 ram? what mobo's use it? im gettin 2x1gb

Last edited by mtm87tx (2006-03-09 13:01:52)

vjs
+19|6767
You have the p4p800 series those other letter probably just indicate onboard lan or wi-fi etc

You probably have the SE version.

In either case it's a dual channel board so your good there.

---------------------------------

As for the memory don't be confused by the pc3500 pc3700 pc4000 ratings. They are all marketing gimicks you have to look a little deeper. Some of the best memory out there is pc3200 not pc4000.

Your probably not going to overclock...

So my recommendation is just search for pc3200, then look at the timings.

2-2-2-5 (best)
2-3-2-5 (little difference)
2-3-3-6 (starting to get up there but still acceptable)

when you start getting stuff that starts with 2.5

2.5-3-3-6 It's junk walk away not worth the money, never get value ram or no name.

My personal favorite is the OCZ PC3200 2-2-2-5, I have it running at 212fsb and it never crashes.

HOLY CRAP I JUST CHECKED NEWEGG!!!!

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Categ … ategory=17

PC3200 2-3-2-5 <--- not bad at all and it's only $150 bucks after rebate. I think it maybe a today only sale.

Last edited by vjs (2006-03-09 13:35:52)

mtm87tx
+0|6644
how does this look:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820227210

on a side note, how much is this new Vista and Intel CPU's going to cost?
mtm87tx
+0|6644
my ping is out the butt i cant even play i get kicked from games for high average ping and its so choppy. i think i just need to buy a new computer because chances are all this stuff will be way to expensive for me when it comes out. so by the time im ready to upgrade again it will be affordable. am i way off? because it this stull is more than 400 for a CPU im not going to buy it anyways so why wait? and my PCI-E card will still be good and usable anyways. is this a good idea?
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6671|Planet Seibertron ;)

mtm87tx wrote:

will the new RAM transfer to one of these mobo thats are coming out? or will it be outdate? is the RAM changing or just the new intel 64 bit or 128bit? im confused but i understand i should wait so i think i will just go get 2gb of ram and see how that works.
If you get RAM now, which is the best option at the moment, you won't be able to use the same RAM in the new system in 3-6 months (they'll all be DDR2-based).  So you'll end up completely overhauling your system by the time you are ready for the big upgrade.  All DDR RAM will work on other DDR-based systems like socket 478 Pentium4 and AMD's socket 754/939/940 processors.  However, when you make the next big step to a new system, you're likely going to be getting new set of RAM that is cheaper than what you end up getting now.

mtm87tx wrote:

my ping is out the butt i cant even play i get kicked from games for high average ping and its so choppy. i think i just need to buy a new computer because chances are all this stuff will be way to expensive for me when it comes out. so by the time im ready to upgrade again it will be affordable. am i way off? because it this stull is more than 400 for a CPU im not going to buy it anyways so why wait? and my PCI-E card will still be good and usable anyways. is this a good idea?
I still say hold it off.  The card you have now can still run 1024x768 without any hassle.  My R9800 Pro handled that much on my older setup.  The CPU is powerful enough to cope with the card.  The only thing holding it back is RAM.  512MB of RAM is too small for anything BF2 right now.  Even an upgrade to 1GB is enough to show improvement.  2GB will make a world of difference, like night and day, compared to 512MB.
mtm87tx
+0|6644
lets say i wait, are these processors going to be 600.00 like the AMD when they first came out? i dont want the best lol just some ram i guess

if this new stuff is expensive by the time im ready to upgrade again. usually every 8-12 months i could afford the new stuff
sixshot
Decepticon Geek

mtm87tx wrote:

lets say i wait, are these processors going to be 600.00 like the AMD when they first came out? i dont want the best lol just some ram i guess

if this new stuff is expensive by the time im ready to upgrade again. usually every 8-12 months i could afford the new stuff
They won't be that expensive at launch.  There's no word on the exact pricing per 1000 volume but I am positive that the lowest end of the spectrum, single or dual core, that they won't cost more than $400.  By the time you make back the cash spent on the RAM upgrade, I 'guesstimate' that you'll have $1100-$1400 (depending on timeframe) to spare on completely overhauling the system.  You'll have enough to get practically everything needed in order to virtually replace your old system.

The RAM upgrade we've suggested will last you 6+ months and by then we'll know for sure just how good Intel's Conroe processor is in the gaming department and we'll see how it compares to AMD's offerings.  By then, we probably will be seeing another ATi and nVIDIA product as well.  I'm sure by then the piggybank will have enough to cover the cost of a completely new system (including case, power, HD, monitors).
mtm87tx
+0|6644
I dont want a new moniter i have a 24" dell, and a Koolance water cooled case, plus a 550 watt Antec power supply i might want a new hard drive its a 120gb Western digital. i think im buying the 2-3-2-5 OGZ 2x1GB PC3200 RAM
mtm87tx
+0|6644
Whats the difference in these 3 and it is the most expensive worth the money over the cheaper? Whats the numbers in the timing mean?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820227056

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820227063

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820227210
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
The lower the numbers, the faster the RAM, simply speaking.  Get the cheapest one, and worry not of the timings.  OCZ is known for having such good support so you're better off getting the cheapest 2GB kit you can buy.  There are numerous other options and all of them have their ups and downs.

To answer whether or not if it is worth spending to get better timings, in most cases it is not.  The fast timings found in the more expensive RAM are those geared to the enthusiast market, where money is no object and that they want to squeeze as much performance as possible.  To the overclockers, decent timings will help push the RAM beyond its specs to achieve faster speeds without hurting their wallet.  To the Joe Users out there, anything reliable will simply do and I point them to the cheapest solution possible.
meowmix
+1|6616
I have three questions I'm still wondering about : )

1. How many people with 64 bit CPU's actually use windows x64?  Is it stable and as good as XP Pro yet? 

2. Is there a difference with Vista and Longhorn?  Are they the same?

3. Right now I would say 2k and under would get the best system you could buy, will that still be the case when AM2, DDR2 and DX 10 come out?  Or will that system cost 3+ k?
sixshot
Decepticon Geek

meowmix wrote:

I have three questions I'm still wondering about : )

1. How many people with 64 bit CPU's actually use windows x64?  Is it stable and as good as XP Pro yet? 

2. Is there a difference with Vista and Longhorn?  Are they the same?

3. Right now I would say 2k and under would get the best system you could buy, will that still be the case when AM2, DDR2 and DX 10 come out?  Or will that system cost 3+ k?
1) Haven't used it yet.  Still a long while 'till we see 64bit apps.

2) Basically, Vista = Longhorn.  Longhorn is the development codename Microsoft used, like how AMD used the name Venice, Winchester, Sledgehammer, San Diego, and so forth for the various 'cores' in their processors.  Microsoft is currently working on a server version of Longhorn or Vista which has been dubbed as Longhorn Server.  But I have not heard much out of that in a while.

3) US$2000 would net you a fast system regardless if you waited or not.  There'll be a high-end part and there'll be a low-end part when AMD unleashes socket AM2 processors.  If you get a low-end CPU with the rest being mid-range to high-end, the system will perform very well.  That may change when new games and/or Vista is/are released.
slo5oh
+28|6657

mtm87tx wrote:

check for spyware.  DL and run spybot, then DL and run adaware.
firly mcnasty
+0|6613
well there are some nice rig's out ther but i find i can still lay the smake down on you with my  A socket 1.5 amd
1800 (missing 2 blades on fan on cpu realy lould) 768 ram,40 gig hd,ati x1600 pro with all settings on high except shadows and audigy 2 value all settings high why you need more
mtm87tx
+0|6644
i went ahead and upgraded because my parents helped.... i didnt want to wait for the new stuff because i dont need the biggest and badest but i have to say this is a totally new game now

New Config:
AMD dual core 4200+
Asus A8N32SLI mobo
BFG 7800 GT OC
2gb Corsair XMS RAM
Sound Blaster 2 ZS
Antex NEO 550 watt power supply
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

Let me give you some new stats:

<~$2000 Recommendations for currently-available hardware:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (~$450)
A8N32 SLI-Deluxe mainboard (~$200)
Corsair 3500LL Pro (2x1GB) memory (~$300) - probably the last regular old DDR memory you'll ever get...
XFX GeForce 7900 GT EXTREME (550MHz) 256MB (~$350)
CL Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (~$125)
WD Caviar SE16 500GB 16MB cache (~$300)
A pair of DVD R/RW's (~$40...lol)
Any old chassis (~$50)
SilverStone Strider ST60F 600W Modular Power Supply - SLI Certified ($~150)

Total Price: ~$1965

And...a form of UPS battery backup that can keep your critical equipment running long enough for you to shut down in a power outage. True sine-wave support optional. People argue that this isn't necessary, but those who live in areas with unstable power may appreciate it, and the devices do clean the power entering your PSU.

I say go with dual core processors, because a game isn't the only thing Windows runs. Most computers have about two-dozen processes going on in the background, and a few gamers like to record their sessions with FRAPS.

I posted this in another thread for someone. I am going to add that if you are going with a dual core athlon, go no lower than the 4400+. Anything lower only has 512KB of L2 cache per core.
mtm87tx
+0|6644
what ive got runs awesome and way more than i could ever need. i only paid ~1500 for my set up. i got some good deals and that includes water cooling
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6691|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
take that hdd out, chuck in a 150gb raptor, change the ram to corsair value
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
I'll have to agree with Cutthroat on the RAM portion.  One can easily cut the cost in half by going the cheap route.  High speed RAM and/or low-latency/timing RAM are not going to be of much use for the Average Joe User/Gamer.  It's only when you factor in overclocking that the timings will become crucial and a factor.

The HD portion could also have been more conservative, as 500GB is definitely not worth spending $300 over.  For under $180, one can get a pair of 250GB and set them up as a RAID-0 configuration, which not only would provide you with the same 500GB of the $300 counterpart but also outperforms in every level.

Given the difference in items, one can have over $270 as leftover just by being a bit more conservative and more direct.  That $270 could easily be applied for a good deal on a 19" panel and would more than likely be the icing on the cake.
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6691|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
and im sure he won't be doing any l33t overclocking
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

I'm horrified at the suggestion of cheapening the memory while buying less hard drive storage for the same price as alot of storage, not that I have anything against the awesomeness of the 150GB Raptor. If you don't want the $300 3500LLPros, go with the (2x1GB) TWINX2048-3200C2PRO for $230 (2-3-3-6) instead. Honestly...I can guarandamntee you that even without overclocking, the average gamer will feel the difference between low latency memory and valueram. Sheesh.

During gameplay, it's the memory and not the hard drive that makes the difference.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-18 11:20:07)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard