1stLt.MikeUSAF
+3|6646

Mobius_One1021 wrote:

First of all, I have to say that this is an awesome topic.  I'm in college now going for my Aerospace Engineering degree and am most likely going to go for a job in Lockheed Martin (the guys who make the F/A-22 and the F-35).  I go to RPI and we have good placement into their company, so I'm really looking forward to it.

As far as planes go, I've always been a huge fan of the F-14 (I grew up on Long Island by [Northrop] Grumman, so I have my loyalties there).  However, the F-15 in closer combat situations is superior....but it still can't sarry Phoenix missiles .  For anyone who doesn't know, the F-22 is basically replacing the F-15 (I think there's a rumored 2-seater F-22B to replace the F-15E at some point, but don't quote me on this).  The F-35 is basically replacing everything else.  It's basically taking the place of the F-16 in the USAF, the F-18 in the Navy, and the Harrier in the Marines.  In a dogfight however, F-15>almost anything.  In fact, I think perhaps only the Raptor could truly beat it.

But to answer the question in-game, F-15

Thank you are planes are and always will be better!

I'll make sure of that, Mike!
Hoorah Brother! Thank you, I'll be waiting for your new design and ready to fly in it anytime! :^)
Breez
AKA: badhq
+937|6643|Derby, England

Sukhoi Ownes all of them still is 1 of the Best Handling Planes in The world ( sead by US militery )

Peace Boris
dracul
+2|6819
I would just like to point out something from an earlier post that was completely incorrect.

The f-35 is entirely incapable of supercruise. It can break mach only in afterburner.
Supercruise is by definition the ability to have a *cruising* speed without afterburner of above mach.
The f-35 does not do this. It is designed as a ground-attack fighter with anti-air combat as only a secondary role.

The f-22 is the US air superiority fighter, and does have thrust vectoring as well as supercruise.

In fortunately, it might be rapidly becoming obsolete. Its "stealthy" (same for f-117 and b-2) characteristics are showing a distressing tendancy to be completely trackable using older long-wave type radars.
Longbow
+163|6658|Odessa, Ukraine
-=]NS[=-Eagle
Israel lost a lot of F15C\F15D in it's wars with arabic contries during last twenty years .
And those arabian gyes have only 3d generation jets such as MiG-21 , MiG-23 etc .

dracul
Didnt you hear that some of F-117 were shot by Fulcrums during action in Ugoslavia ? Your stealth technology sux .

Last edited by Longbow (2006-03-05 15:13:44)

brickZ28
Master of Puppets
+15|6748|IL
YF-22 nuff sed.  I was a 16 crew chief 95 - 99 and the 22 were just starting to come out.   From what I know adn what i hear there is nothing in any other militray that can even touch the 22.
elite
+89|6725|Sheffield, England
the EUROFIGHTER TYPHOON, got the best technology know to man in it. the pilot can lock onto its enemy by looking at it, and its awesome capabilities will own.
Longbow
brickZ28
YF-22 is 5th generation plane , every next generation planes are much better then older generations .
All nowadays russian jets are 4th-4,5th generation .
We dont have serial-produced 5th generation fighter , because of ruin of military industry after crash of USSR . Fucken goverment doesn't want to give money to develope it , so ... maybe yours jets will become better and best in the world after rearming your airforce with YF-22\F-35
R0lyP0ly
+161|6665|USA
ive said this earlier with the tank thread - it is the pilot inside that counts in todays air battles. (Unless you are being stubborn and try to compare the Wright Brothers flyer with an f-22, etc)
LimpPP
+0|6639

Longbow wrote:

-=]NS[=-Eagle
Israel lost a lot of F15C\F15D in it's wars with arabic contries during last twenty years .
And those arabian gyes have only 3d generation jets such as MiG-21 , MiG-23 etc .

dracul
Didnt you hear that some of F-117 were shot by Fulcrums during action in Ugoslavia ? Your stealth technology sux .
There have been no F-117s shot down...its called propaganda...just as Saddam was telling his people they were winning in Kuwait when at that time all the Iraqi soldiers were surrendering
Longbow
LimpPP
lol ,all over the world it is known
and you don't understand , that it is YOUR'S propaganda , telling that no F-117 was shot  .
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6655
or like how aljazeera reports on thouasands of americans dying by the month in iraq...lol
RedEyes-CAD
+1|6723|Arizona
F-22 pwns everything, air or ground.
LimpPP
+0|6639
Being currently ENLISTED in the US AirForce its kind of easy.....as we can count them as they land....and if one doesn't come back...anyone who has touched the plane has to go piss in a cup, get blood drawn as we are drug tested. So little hard for us to not know. The people who work on them, load bombs on them, swap engines, work avionics on them....thats alot of people to fool. The B1-B Bomber shows up like a bird on the radar...it has no special paint....just a special engine design.  So now figure out how a aircraft with radar absorbant paint...no 90 degree angles....blacked out....how big do you think that is on a radar? Especially for some 3rd world radar.
LimpPP
+0|6639

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

or like how aljazeera reports on thouasands of americans dying by the month in iraq...lol
Exactly my point! We have lost a couple thousand...but the way they say it or Saddam would say it when he was still in power...we should be sending the women and kids into combat as we had no men left to fight
Kuta
+0|6639

dracul wrote:

I would just like to point out something from an earlier post that was completely incorrect.

The f-35 is entirely incapable of supercruise. It can break mach only in afterburner.
Supercruise is by definition the ability to have a *cruising* speed without afterburner of above mach.
The f-35 does not do this. It is designed as a ground-attack fighter with anti-air combat as only a secondary role.

The f-22 is the US air superiority fighter, and does have thrust vectoring as well as supercruise.

In fortunately, it might be rapidly becoming obsolete. Its "stealthy" (same for f-117 and b-2) characteristics are showing a distressing tendancy to be completely trackable using older long-wave type radars.
High, all

New to this fourm but I like this post. If I remember correctly the f-22 would be the x-22 from years back sims.
Vector thrust was awsome for dog fight with the only one problem, the pilot. The plane could do much more with Vectorthrust, that it just always out turned.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6732|Sydney, Australia

dracul wrote:

No, you are incorrect. The original reason for designing the JSF was to have a VTOL aircraft capable of cruising at supersonic speeds. The Harrier, the only other succesful VTOL fighter was incapable of cruising supersonically.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/f-35.htm wrote:

The JSF program will demonstrate two competing weapon system concepts for a tri-service family of aircraft to affordably meet these service needs:

USAF-Multi-role aircraft (primarily air-to-ground) to replace F-16 and A-10 and to complement F-22. The Air Force JSF variant poses the smallest relative engineering challenge. The aircraft has no hover criteria to satisfy, and the characteristics and handling qualities associated with carrier operations do not come into play. As the biggest customer for the JSF, the service will not accept a multirole F-16 fighter replacement that doesn't significantly improve on the original.

USN-Multi-role, stealthy strike fighter to complement F/A-18E/F. Carrier operations account for most of the differences between the Navy version and the other JSF variants. The aircraft has larger wing and tail control surfaces to better manage low-speed approaches. The internal structure of the Navy variant is strengthened up to handle the loads associated with catapult launches and arrested landings. The aircraft has a carrier-suitable tailhook. Its landing gear has a longer stroke and higher load capacity. The aircraft has almost twice the range of an F-18C on internal fuel. The design is also optimized for survivability.

USMC-Multi-role Short Take-Off & Vertical Landing (STOVL) strike fighter to replace AV-8B and F/A-18A/C/D. The Marine variant distinguishes itself from the other variants with its short takeoff/vertical landing capability.

UK-STOVL (supersonic) aircraft to replace the Sea Harrier. Britain's Royal Navy JSF will be very similar to the U.S. Marine variant.
sragoot
+3|6746

elite wrote:

the EUROFIGHTER TYPHOON, got the best technology know to man in it. the pilot can lock onto its enemy by looking at it, and its awesome capabilities will own.
elite wrote:

Yah that technology was incorporated in the F-15E's and F-22's last i read I might be wrong though. What makes that possible is just a sensor on the pilots helmet just like the ones AH-64's pilots use to control the gun on the chopper. You look where ever the gun follows.
WildBlueYonder
+0|6749|New Brunswick Canada
My personal favorite is the F-15, not the strike eagle but the airsuperiority fighter. Was an Airforce hopefull but failed the second medical, flat feet (cause THAT matters for a pilot) anyway in game the best turner is the j-10 but in real life i would have to go with the mig probably since we a going on who would shoot down who, second would be the F-15E. You can discuss planes all day and they do give an edge but the pilot is the key and to all our airmen out there I salute you, and two whoever went on the rant about the F-35 and how it could make 1.8 in afterburner the F-15E can do a complete virticle climb and has a max speed of 1,646mph or mach 2.5 thats almost 400 mph faster.
Asmodeane
+0|6643|Hellsinki, Finland
About the F-117 being shot down over Yugoslavia, it's true. HOWEVER, one must take into account that it was the only one shot down during the entire course of the war, and that too with a lot of difficulty. How that was done is explained in in this article. It was also widely documented on the news, so no coverup was even attempted by the western media, although the Serbs understandably blew it out of proportion by dragging around pieces of the plane and making loud speeches. The pilot was rescued.

And before you start branding me as a "Pro-American Imperialist Lackey" or something similar, bear in mind that I myself am Russian, of Serbian descent on my grandfather's side. I just feel that an even-handed, realistic approach is needed on these issues, and that credit should be given where it is due.

Oh, and as for the actual topic, I think that F-22 Raptor would own every plane in the game. The avionics are amazing, and the vectored thrust doesn't hurt either. I think a Sukhoi-37 with thrust vectoring might have a shot if it spots the Raptor early and the pilot is good enough, but the plane isn't even in mass production yet, so that's moot point.

As for the planes only present in the game, well... I'd say that it's pretty much a tie between F-15, MiG, and Sukhoi. Providing, of course, that the mode of combat is pure, close-range dogfight. If the conditions are realistic then I'd give the American jets a better chance at winning because of their better long-range detection capabilities.
LimpPP
+0|6639
I stand corrected...as this is the first I have heard of the F-117 being downed. I was stationed in Korea at the time that had happened and was out of tune with current events. So I admit my mistake on that.
Clibby
+0|6757
OK to clear up the F-35 debate take a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-35

and for fun take a look at the F-22 ( MACH 2.5!!!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-22#Specifications.5B1.5D
killorbkilled
+0|6639
In real life?  I don't know if I'd be all that down with dog fighting so-to-speak.  I'd be all about the stealth bomber.. go in quiet (or as quiet as any plane could), go in fast, drop bombs and then run like hell? lol
mastermofo
+2|6648

LimpPP wrote:

Being currently ENLISTED in the US AirForce its kind of easy.....as we can count them as they land....and if one doesn't come back...anyone who has touched the plane has to go piss in a cup, get blood drawn as we are drug tested. So little hard for us to not know. The people who work on them, load bombs on them, swap engines, work avionics on them....thats alot of people to fool. The B1-B Bomber shows up like a bird on the radar...it has no special paint....just a special engine design.  So now figure out how a aircraft with radar absorbant paint...no 90 degree angles....blacked out....how big do you think that is on a radar? Especially for some 3rd world radar.
When I get called for drug testing, and I'm waiting.... I wait untill I have to fart, not untill I have to pee, that way I get to have fun with the observer.  And I tell him I'm going to pee like an 8-year-old and I drop my pants to my knees (along with my underwear) and I fart then pee.  It's funny.  They're probably amazed that I actually piss clean.

I work on F-16s (america's most expensive Lawn Dart), it sux, but keeps us MXS people busy for sure.

I wish I worked on F-15s, those are cake for my career field.

I don't want to work on F-22s, heard those are bitches.

My pick for the AA fight?  Being in the Air Force I want to say one of our jets, but I feel it's not true.  Just seeing some of the technology in Russian Ejection seats had my head turning.  And if they applied that type of engineering to the rest of the plane, god help us. 

Rear looking Radar? Stealth? Rear Firing missles?  Pretty scary stuff.  However, logistically our Air Force is second to none, which will play a huge part in a dogfight believe it or not.  And the maticulous training our Pilots recieve, the amount of sorties we fly vs. them, will play a huge factor.  I would say with pilots like Mike in the Air, with his passion for his F-15 assures me that we would win.  However, if you've ever seen Isreal's pilots, (No offense Lt.) but those guys are fucking crazy.  Every exercise I"ve been to they've pwnd us in every catagory and with NO G suit.  Yea... seriously...

Aircraft of choice:  Su-37 Berkut

Air Force of Choice who would still win:  USAF!!!!!!!
Longbow
Asmodeane
Thx for your support .
BlackLegion42
Damn Command and Conquer Generals...
+62|6741|Rochester, NY
It is the Joint Strike Fighter, that plane has technology combined various successful fighters all into one package!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard