No_Smoking
all your base are belong to us
+35|6697|Sacramento
This is just an idea, so flames and constructive comments are welcome

I think it would be awesome if EA/DICE made it so that in order to operate a tank efficiently you would need two people minimum but up to three people to pilot it.

A Driver, a Turret gunner and the .50 Cal gunner.
The driver, as you've probably guessed drives, and only drives. The gunners operate their respective weapons of course.

I just want to remind people, I'm not complaining about armor, or crying that it needs to be nerfed. It's simply a new way of piloting a very awesome aspect of the game. It's also another way of encouraging team work, which I always think is good.

What do you guys think?
=SAS=Teardrop
+0|6630
it would only work if tanks would be much stronger, otherwise 3 kills would be very easy!
Binximus
+8|6652|Australia
yeah tank crews that had to work together would be cool like ud have 1 guy driving whilst over voip ud be madly talking about what to do and ur turret gunner would be like ok do this this and that so i can get in a good position to do this...
Cbass
Kick His Ass!
+371|6694|Howell, Mi USA
that would be total pwnage if u could get people to work together and not fight over gun positions. and like teardrop says if tanks were stronger. thats just what jet whores need instead of 1 kill per tank it's 3 now.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/bb53a522780eff5b30ba3252d44932cc2f5b8c4f.png
Torin
+52|6692
It's a good idea, that's how they did it in Planetside. You would however need to buff the armor on the tank to make it take more to kill, probably 50% more. (to account for the addition of 50% more people using it) I think that would also require an increase in the cannon round splash radius, to make it more worthwhile to use. I would gladly drive a tank for a good set of gunners, just as I did in Planetside. I was just thinking about that yesterday as a matter of fact, and wished that's how it was in BF2. It would also cut down on a single person whoring armor.

But I think the following changes would need to be made:

1) Need 2 direct fighter bomb hits to kill, instead of 1.
2) 1 LGM from a bomber would only take the tank to maybe 25% damage, instead of kill it fully.
3) Perhaps 2-3 of the regular bomber bombs to kill it.
4) 1 TV missile would also take it only to 25%, not an instant kill.

Otherwise, no one would really use it except on maps like Karkand.
JTplus
+0|6632
Operation Flashpoint had tanks that way.
Juker7245
+0|6653
I'm not sure how the new Challengers are going to work in the Euro, but in our mod that we used to run in desert combat we added the challenger and it was a 2 person tank.
Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6679|Broadlands, VA
Drivers in Armor

Just add intra-vehicle VoIP and you'd have a killer machine.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6789|Singapore

Same for planes?

Pilot FILES ONLY. WSO fires.
pokerplaya
want to go heads up?
+11|6734|cairns australia

Juker7245 wrote:

I'm not sure how the new Challengers are going to work in the Euro, but in our mod that we used to run in desert combat we added the challenger and it was a 2 person tank.
the same as vanilla(main gun is mounted off centre though).could work ,although you would expect heaps of engineers and anti tank kits.
vonSteuben
+3|6702|Essen - Germany
It has been ages since I last had it installed and even longer that I played it, but wasn't this the way tanks worked in Joint Ops?

See ya,
vonSteuben
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6755
Great idea, but as Teardrop said, the tank would need to be stronger, or perhaps have some means of avoiding certain weapons that would normally destroy them in a single hit. Smoke that actualy makes guided missiles miss etc
RDMC_old
+0|6736|Almere, Holland
No..
ThePriest1750
Tank commander
+83|6735|DUTCH snap ik!
i disagreed/agreed would be cool too operate with more people on a tank but you must trust your mates too play good and for now i only trust me self in a tank and not reily on another people
Torin
+52|6692
Well, for a game that is supposed to be all about team work, it would seem to be a good idea. Can't rely on people to properly operate a tank? Welcome to the world of helicopters.
Superaap
+0|6746
Mmm...in bf1942 the mobile artillery had a driver seat and a gunner seat, but nobody liked the driving part. The shooting part is the fun part of the game. Your idea will only work with really good teamplayers.
The part I like most is 1 mine=3 kills
belikeron
+-1|6633
I think it should be moved to 3 people but not made any stronger persay. It needs The main gun as the driver/120mm gunner. Then it needs a 7.62 machine gun on the turret left side, and a 50 cal on the turret right side.

If they change nothing else on the tank I think they should make the swivel on the 50 cal and the turrets turning independant, I hate trying to cover the tank driver, but he is swinging around so much that I cant hit shit.
[zulu]steviep831
+6|6633|Florida
I think the coordination of that would be very difficult. As someone said above, it would need independent movements for the turret and tank. I do like the idea, though, as sometimes the act of driving (knowing where you are going) and shooting can get tricky (the reason Spec Ops are so successful). Someone would really have to work on a good interface.
fungus020
+0|6773|London - England
that would be brilliant!!! it would be like in Red Orchestra.. ahh those were the days. me and a friend could jump in a tank on one of the tank maps and totally kill the hell out of everyone... and it was one hit one kill depending on the part of the tank you hit.
id like to see it on bf2, it would encourage team work and also give people more of a chance against tanks
No_Smoking
+35|6697|Sacramento
Yeah you'll have the thick headed noobs that cant gun/drive, but that's what would make it more interesting. Just like someone mentioned about choppers. I do like the idea of intra-vehicle VoIP, it could be interchanged with something someone else mentioned in another thread of Proximity VoIP.

Superaap wrote:

Mmm...in bf1942 the mobile artillery had a driver seat and a gunner seat, but nobody liked the driving part. The shooting part is the fun part of the game. Your idea will only work with really good teamplayers.
The part I like most is 1 mine=3 kills
Thats another opinion of mine. Mines IMHO shouldnt kill tanks, but simply disable them (ie, blows the tread off). Does a mine in real life actually blow tanks up? <-- thats an actual question as I dont know if mines are really able to blow tanks to bits irl.

My version of mines would disable(and damage them, say 1/3) tanks and apc/lavs, but destroy transports (humvee, jeeps.. etc). Mind you, thats ONE mine. Multiple mines = more damage.
Corrupt
+0|6840

polarbearz wrote:

Same for planes?

Pilot FILES ONLY. WSO fires.
Pilot flies and controls the Cannon/ A2A missiles. But I think the WSO should control the bombs aswell.
airborne916
+24|6665

Torin wrote:

It's a good idea, that's how they did it in Planetside. You would however need to buff the armor on the tank to make it take more to kill, probably 50% more. (to account for the addition of 50% more people using it) I think that would also require an increase in the cannon round splash radius, to make it more worthwhile to use. I would gladly drive a tank for a good set of gunners, just as I did in Planetside. I was just thinking about that yesterday as a matter of fact, and wished that's how it was in BF2. It would also cut down on a single person whoring armor.

But I think the following changes would need to be made:

1) Need 2 direct fighter bomb hits to kill, instead of 1.
2) 1 LGM from a bomber would only take the tank to maybe 25% damage, instead of kill it fully.
3) Perhaps 2-3 of the regular bomber bombs to kill it.
4) 1 TV missile would also take it only to 25%, not an instant kill.

Otherwise, no one would really use it except on maps like Karkand.
no way, TV missels like on a cobra are hell fire missle and can kill any talk in one hit. Plus then the choper would need better body army because it would have to hover there longer, then the tv would need close to 24 missels and not just 8.

Last edited by airborne916 (2006-03-03 12:38:32)

Knochenmann_AUT
+1|6726

vonSteuben wrote:

It has been ages since I last had it installed and even longer that I played it, but wasn't this the way tanks worked in Joint Ops?
Yes, and it was stupid. Because, People NEVER workes together. In the end, every tank was mand by ome man: The tanks guys drove to a camp position, switch to gunner and than wait... wait... wait...

On every hill was a tank camper.
[tlv]TDL
+7|6658
I donĀ“like the idea. Think in av 8on8 clan match on karkand. As US you will need 3 people in the tank, maybe 2 in the apc. 1 commander and 2 inf.
No_Smoking
+35|6697|Sacramento

airborne916 wrote:

no way, TV missels like on a cobra are hell fire missle and can kill any talk in one hit. Plus then the choper would need better body army because it would have to hover there longer, then the tv would need close to 24 missels and not just 8.
yeah if the tank got more armor, I would suggest TV missiles still kill with a direct hit.

But if you want my honest opinion, I don't think the tank would need any more armor then it has. Even if it required a driver and cannon operator, the tank is a formidable opponent if used correctly.
The only kills you'd be getting would be from noob pilots, which in that case is totally fine. If you can't pilot/gun, don't get in it. It's the same with aircraft at the moment.

[tlv]TDL wrote:

I donĀ“like the idea. Think in av 8on8 clan match on karkand. As US you will need 3 people in the tank, maybe 2 in the apc. 1 commander and 2 inf.
That just means decisions will have to be made. Sacrifice a few troops (a min of two) for awesome firepower, or keep them for infantry.

Last edited by No_Smoking (2006-03-03 13:13:55)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard