mporlier
+42|6641|Montreal, Canada
Boy I wish this award existed.  I know I did >350m the problem is viewing distance. I real life 1000m and + happens but the graphic card or video settign will not allow viewing over arround 500m. This is sad. Still, the award would be nice. I would make it like a record, only one guy could own it at a time. What do you think?
sgt_mango333
+31|6653
Carlos Hathcock had a shot recorded at over 1.25 miles using a .50 cal machine gun with one round chambered.  Let me know when you get close to that and we'll talk.
mporlier
For you info:

"The longest-ever confirmed sniper kill was made by Master Cpl. Arron Perry of the Canadian Armed Forces in Afghanistan during combat in 2003. Using a .50-caliber MacMillan TAC-50 rifle, Perry shot and killed an Afghan soldier from a distance of 2,430 metres.

The record was set during Operation Anaconda when a Canadian three-man sniper team from the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, (PPCLI), set the new record with a shot on a Taliban fighter

That's about 1.5 miles That, my friends, is a truly amazing feat. The bullet was in the air for four seconds and dropped 146 feet. About 250 meters longer than Carlos Hathcock's famous shot. I'm happy if I hit something at 250 meters total distance.

Hat's off to a well trained soldier from up north. I hope the record stands forever."

Now that is for real world. In my post I obviously mean in game kill.
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6834
personally, I think they've over-done all this fog in the game. view distance should be much greater. although it would come with greater demand for better computers.
Books_DCDF
+80|6660
My longest single-shot kill on an unwounded soldier is 399 meters on Kubra Dam, from the cliff above the Refueling Station to the Supervisor's Base.  A headshot on the 12.7  gunner in an FAV.  He'd just spawned at the Materials Station and drove up the trail to cap the flag, then jumped to the 12.7 to shoot at a Blackhawk.  One shot with an M24. ([GDC]SinnFein can testify to this incident.)

I've taken down a target at over 450 meters on Kubra, too, but I don't know his previous health condition and I couldn't see the individual soldier because of draw distance limitations.  Again, he was in an FAV on the 12.7 firing at something, and all I could see were the tracer rounds going out.  I could see the rear machine gun's pintel mount on the FAV and fired at it, hitting him (or the FAV) on the second shot.  I missed with the next two rounds, but finally scored another hit with my fifth shot and received the kill message.

Last edited by Books_DCDF (2006-02-28 13:04:10)

Torin
+52|6693
I think it would be a nice feature for the game to report the distance on all successful sniper rifle kills.

Something like:

"You killed soandso. (439 meters)"

I've pulled off a lot of shots slightly outside of fog range by aiming with the help of tracer rounds/muzzle flash, but I never really know exactly how far away it is.
flyinlow
+0|6725
Wow.  My hat is off to Master Cpl. Arron Perry.  I've done some sniper training in the real world, and while doing unknown distance drills, my furthest first shot hit was aprox. 630 yards on an 11" x 22" steel plate.  I can't even imagine shooting at 1.5 miles!

In the game last night I attempted to snipe the US shipdeck from the large shipping crane on Dalian Plant.  I don't know the distance (didn't think to look at the flag distance), but I was unable to see enemy soldiers (my view distance is set at 100%).  I could easily see the ship deck, helos, and planes, just not the people.  Frustrating, I didn't have the .50 cal with me so I didn't try to take out the pilots.  I did shoot a couple of rounds at the helo as it was taking off and got hits, but obviously no damage or kills.

So,  has anyone else been able to do this.  And/or - whats the longest kill shot you've had in game.
Simon
basically
+838|6659|UK
or just say it to the left of the scope
Drunk_Musketeer
To be honest I don't care anyway..
+57|6739|Great Wall
In BF2 I kill anything what I can see... I kill from 450-500m if only I find such target.. It's maximum cuz we cannot see anything at longer than 500m distances..

Last edited by Drunk_Musketeer (2006-02-28 10:10:47)

mporlier

mporlier wrote:

Boy I wish this award existed.  I know I did >350m the problem is viewing distance. I real life 1000m and + happens but the graphic card or video settign will not allow viewing over arround 500m. This is sad. Still, the award would be nice. I would make it like a record, only one guy could own it at a time. What do you think?
Adding to my quote. Having a range finder would be nice. It could be displayed in the scope. Possibility of adjusting elevation and windage (there is no wind but for fun!).

I agree with the previous post, adding the distance to the kill confirm would be nice.

In Golf of Oman from the crane you can reach everithing but the river fort. At list I did confirmed kill at every flags.
VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6706|Antarctica
I don't snipe much, but I have made a shot about 350-370 meters a few times.
Poncho
and I'm not a raincoat...
+91|6708|NL
this wont work. you will get stats padders. someone wil tell the other were he is and shoot some lucky shots...

the kill with meter message would work if you ask me
pure_beef_69
Banned
+186|6647
from the top of the power station to the front of the wood yard, and he was runnin sideways!
KidEgo
+0|6761|Virginia Beach, Va, USA
doesn't matter to me... As long as he dies.. its a good shot..
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6697|Germany

=[4th]=SlayThem wrote:

personally, I think they've over-done all this fog in the game. view distance should be much greater. although it would come with greater demand for better computers.
Yup,way too much fog around..

In BF1942 there was a way to remove the fog.
At the time of the first Wake Island multiplayer demo everybody had the fog turned off,later on it was considered cheating and the possibility to turn it off was coded out of the config files.

BUT: Removing the fog in BF1942 didn't slow down anything,actually it boosted the performance a bit.

Planes and tanks just appeared suddenly instead of coming out of the fog,so it looked kinda unrealistic,but from a sniper's point of view it was just perfect without fog.
In the first Wake demo I was able to shoot across the whole island(i.e.from north point to south point).

Hmm,we have seen that whining kinda works with EA (the jetwhiners will get their AA nerfed back to uselessness,you'll see),just start whining about the viewing distance and maybe we'll get less fog in a future patch....

And yeah,my best shots are usually on Kubra Dam and are on distances >300 meters.
I got one kill at the limit of visibility,the enemy just appeared when I got him,that's at approx.370 meters.
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6746|Houston, TX
I nailed some guy waiting for a MEC plane in Oman.  I took the shot from just below the ridge of the hill above the river, and near the construction crane.  He was standing in front of the metal tower that stands on the NE corner of the runway.  I'll check the distance to the flag tonight and post the distance later.  L96A1 1 shot, 1 kill.  Feeeeeeeeels goooooooooood!

GDC SinnFein - I'm getting better and better, I'll challenge you sometime soon bro.

KJ
lord_tyler_486
+54|6753|Upper Franconia
Displaying the distance of a sniper kill would be cool imo. Also, it should be displayed whether you had a head shot.
I agree that the thing with the longest-sniper-kill-award won't work because of stat padding.

And the drawing distance is indeed the biggest problem with sniping. Few matches ago, I saw one of these dudes going into a Stinger Cannon. I had my sights on him. As soon as he entered the Stinger, he and the cannon disappeared magically. Otherwise it would have been easy for me to head shot him.

The setting for the viewing distance should be changed from percent to meters. A setting range of 300-1500 will be good I think. Everything within the viewing distance that you have set should be forced to be drawn.

Or, an alternative, as soon as the sniper-class soldier zooms, the drawing distance is immediately increased. The fog range should be increased at all because it's way too close and makes sniping impossible e.g. @karkand.

Lets start whining like hell and the next patch will bring us some better view.
Havazn
+39|6694|van.ca

mporlier wrote:

For you info:

"The longest-ever confirmed sniper kill was made by Master Cpl. Arron Perry of the Canadian Armed Forces in Afghanistan during combat in 2003. Using a .50-caliber MacMillan TAC-50 rifle, Perry shot and killed an Afghan soldier from a distance of 2,430 metres.

The record was set during Operation Anaconda when a Canadian three-man sniper team from the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, (PPCLI), set the new record with a shot on a Taliban fighter

That's about 1.5 miles That, my friends, is a truly amazing feat. The bullet was in the air for four seconds and dropped 146 feet. About 250 meters longer than Carlos Hathcock's famous shot. I'm happy if I hit something at 250 meters total distance.

Hat's off to a well trained soldier from up north. I hope the record stands forever."

WOOT! GO CANADA...haha.
Doctuh
+6|6647
I got a guy from the beach area in Wake moving across the bridge between the North Bases, I think that is over 400m. Dont know if he was wounded or it was a headshot. I would say it was luck, but I also aimed 4 heads high and well ahead of him. There *is* bullet drop. New sniper rifle rocks!
doxy
+74|6791|Nevis

sgt_mango333 wrote:

Carlos Hathcock had a shot recorded at over 1.25 miles using a .50 cal machine gun with one round chambered.  Let me know when you get close to that and we'll talk.
so true.... besides Hathcock holds some more records
R0lyP0ly
+161|6654|USA
one time i shot a round from my m24 off Hotel @ Karkand and i picked off a guy standing on the beaches of Wake!
jakethepyro
+7|6634
i killed a mec on gulf of oman from the railroad to u.s. artillery
rgp58
Ti Faccio un Culo Cosi
+0|6748|San Carlos, CA

mporlier wrote:

For you info:

My math could be wrong, but that would mean:

2,430 Meters =

7972.44 Feet
2657.48 Yards
1.5 Miles

The 50bmg round used by the military has a 2910 fps velocity. (someone check this?)

So that Taliban got nailed with that round 2.7 seconds after it left the gun. Or approx 2.5 seconds after he heard the shot...

dude....
Defiance
+438|6672

2.7 is theoretical. Your calculations are theoretical.

Me reading how to sail and going out on a ship expecting to do it right is theoretical.

What he did was experimental.

There might have been other factors, such as wind.
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6834

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

=[4th]=SlayThem wrote:

Yup,way too much fog around..

In BF1942 there was a way to remove the fog.
At the time of the first Wake Island multiplayer demo everybody had the fog turned off,later on it was considered cheating and the possibility to turn it off was coded out of the config files.

BUT: Removing the fog in BF1942 didn't slow down anything,actually it boosted the performance a bit.

Planes and tanks just appeared suddenly instead of coming out of the fog,so it looked kinda unrealistic,but from a sniper's point of view it was just perfect without fog.
In the first Wake demo I was able to shoot across the whole island(i.e.from north point to south point).

Hmm,we have seen that whining kinda works with EA (the jetwhiners will get their AA nerfed back to uselessness,you'll see),just start whining about the viewing distance and maybe we'll get less fog in a future patch....

And yeah,my best shots are usually on Kubra Dam and are on distances >300 meters.
I got one kill at the limit of visibility,the enemy just appeared when I got him,that's at approx.370 meters.
I use to have a little(harmless, really) nofog hack for BF1942. I only used it a couple times, but when I would turn it on(it had settings of 1x, 2x, and 3x less fog) I would lag unbelievably for about 3 minutes and then it would run smooth. It does indeed take a toll on the hardware.. especially with my old crap computer

Kubra Dam is what all maps should be. it doesn't have much fog at all, and it's wonderful.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard