qwerty4
+0|6641
Ive been tryin to set up a mic with the microphone jack, but I can't get it to work, tried forums and everything.  If i were to get a USB mic, is it much easier to use, or is there installation, configuration...?  Is it just how it says for USB, "plug and play"?  Are USB mics automatically found and used easily for BF2 VOIP?  Thanks.

Last edited by qwerty4 (2006-02-27 18:16:44)

wh1pp1ngboy
+1|6671|Columbia, SC
Headphone jack?  There should be a seperate jack for mic and headphones.
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6679
https://www.kids-online.net/learn/click/details/sblvalpci.jpg
qwerty4
+0|6641

wh1pp1ngboy wrote:

Headphone jack?  There should be a seperate jack for mic and headphones.
*mic jack, sorry about that
But are USB mics really easy to use, no installation or config., just plug and play?

Last edited by qwerty4 (2006-02-27 18:13:28)

Stealth42o
+175|6679
Make sure it is enabled in windows and your soundcard (Or onboard sound).

Help to know what card you have.

Last edited by Stealth42o (2006-02-27 18:13:19)

qwerty4
+0|6641
The card is a Creative SB Audigy 2
I'm not sure if the mic is enabled in either or how to do that.
Some direction would be great, thanks.

Last edited by qwerty4 (2006-02-27 18:19:28)

Stealth42o
+175|6679
Goto start/all programs/creative/sound blaster audigy 2/creative sound mixer.

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/Stealth42o/Image000011.jpg

The red line on the far right of this screen, left click and change it to "Microphone".  You can play around with the volume and mic gain.  THis should sinc you up with windows as well.
Beorn_23_7
Heathenish Foray
+22|6646|Upstate NY
Sorry to butt in, but I'm having a similair problem. My sound card is a Realtek with a front panel and a back panel. Neither seem to work with the headset I have. The headset isn't the issue. It never worked in game, but I could use it to record sound. Now that won't work either. I'm thinking I'll need a better sound card but I want to make sure a splash the cash.
qwerty4
+0|6641
I tried all that, nothin workin, been through everything in the SB mixer, speech recognition, everything.
Stealth42o
+175|6679

qwerty4 wrote:

I tried all that, nothin workin, been through everything in the SB mixer, speech recognition, everything.
Can you hear yourself at all?  When you turn mute off can you hear yourself through the mic?  (Put your headset on when you do this or you will get ALOT of feedback).

A: Make sure your mic works.  Test it on another comp or something.  If the mic works, move to B

B: Goto a sound recorder (Windows has one in /start/all programs/assesories/entertainment and try to record your voice. (Controll panel/audio/voice tab make sure your soundcard is under "Recording".)

C: If A/B work, it is most likely your settings in BF2.  Go here:

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2 and launch "BF2VoiceSetup".  When you get that to run your good to go.

Any other help (If I do not re post), drop me an IM.

"Beorn" Not to up on the realtek cards.  However you have a ton to gain from upgrading a sound card.  One of my best computer upgrades was a good soundblaster card and a 6.1 surrond sound system.  The imertion you feel with a game takes it to a whole new level.  You can now hear were a bullet is coming from.  Again one the the best upgrades.

New creative 6.1 system runs around 100 dollars.  Not to bad.  THe new XF-I soundblaster platinum card run just under 200.  It's a pretty penny, however I promise you, you will not be disapointed.

O and BTW. if either of you have onboard sound, make sure it is disabled in your BIOS.  That can cause problems as well.  Again anything you need just holla.

GL

Chris
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6708
To answer an earlier question, to the best of my knowledge USB mics are not supported by bf2. Your microphone *must* plug directly into your sound card for in game voip to work. I had this problem with my old desktop usb mic, and as far as I know there is no workaround. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
elmer1082
To The Front
+4|6763|Columbus, Indiana
Also make sure to have the mic plugged in before starting BF2.
jamesjosephkilroy
+3|6678|Kentucky U.S.A.
I too have a realtek card with 7.1 and front and back ports. Bf2 voice capture never has seen my card. At first I tried to set it up the way I was supposed to and couldn't get it to work (try the above first). I now use teamspeak to voip. When I get the card to work with voice recorder, voip won't work and vice versa.Then out of frustration and my not wanting to pay for another sound card that might do the same thing, I went to the "process of elimination" process. Have someone on voip with you who can listen for it to start working. Start with one setting in the software and the mic in a jack and work through the jacks, line in, back mic, front mic etc. and keep a constant stream going into the mic for your listener to hopefully hear. If that software setting doesn't work, go to the next, and work through the jacks. By the rime I hit the right combo and my listeners heard me, I was cussing up a storm. Turned out front pink jack and rear output for the control panel on audio and voice with the mic plugged in the rear works for voip, but not voice recorder.

Good God, I wrote a book! Hopefully my angst is purged with this!

Good luck, I may eventually buy a supported sound card so I can hopefully voip with others than my team. But teamspeak is nice if you play with a certain groupbecause of the vox feature.
Stealth42o
+175|6679
I have my own Teamspeak server.  I use it with my friends playing BF2, however when I am commander, need in game VOIP.  It's ok, TS is the sh!t.

Keep us posted on the progress.
DSRTurtle
+56|6693

qwerty4 wrote:

The card is a Creative SB Audigy 2
I'm not sure if the mic is enabled in either or how to do that.
Some direction would be great, thanks.
VOIP will not work if the mic is in the mic 2 jack.  The mic 2 jack is on the front panel of your pc if you have one of the more advanced Audigy 2 cards. 

I have an Audigy Platinum EX and it doesn't work on mic 2, it works fine on mic 1.  Somewhere on EA I read that VOIP only supports Mic 1.

Hope that helps.

edited for detail

Last edited by DSRTurtle (2006-02-28 04:24:28)

[SPF]Yzerman
+3|6641|TX

Skruples wrote:

To answer an earlier question, to the best of my knowledge USB mics are not supported by bf2. Your microphone *must* plug directly into your sound card for in game voip to work. I had this problem with my old desktop usb mic, and as far as I know there is no workaround. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
I'm using a USB mic, it's actually the one for my PS2 I used to play Socom 2.  Works fine, just fine.
NastyKracker
+0|6643|Florida
Just as a heads up, I have an obvious dual plug headset/mic combo.  One wire is pink, one is black.  The pink goes into the appropriate color jack in the back of the cpu but the black goes into the green jack in the back.  Beats me why but its the only way the mic will work.  The jack labeled for the mic doesnt work, so you guys want to try swapping it around if you have the variety of colors.

I'd stay away from a USB mic, too expensive and crappy performance.  Get a $9.99 headset/boom mic from radio shack, works great.  After awhile, they stop working for some reason and your not out a crap load of money.  The $49.99 USB sets can be flushed, they dont work any better!

Just an idea.
Trooper_Collider
+25|6752
I started using since the beginning my SOCOM US Navy SEALS USB Headset by Logitech, too,  and I've never had a problem. U can try test it from Windows going to Configuration/Control Panel/Sound and Audio Devices/Voice,  and tweak the configuration till the mic works. from there u can perform a Hardware check too.

Semper Fi!
Rygar
Canucklehead
+69|6654|Nova Scotia
I've got an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sc and have never gotten my mic (not a USB mic) to work with BF2.  It works in the control panel, and with Teamspeak (which seems to lag out my pc during a bf2 match, argh!) but it won't work with BF2   I've also disabled onboard in the bios.
This isn't a call for help, just a comment.
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6851|Bryan/College Station, TX
I've actually noticed that BF2's VOIP doesn't like some people. For example my BF2 VOIP works fine at home on both in game VOIP and Teamspeak. While on another computer Teamspeak will work just fine however in game VOIP won't work. It's gotten to the point where it has even worked for a short period of time in the game and then suddenly stops working. Going into Audio option you will notice that VOIP is selected "off" even though it was selected "on" just a few minutes ago. Running the VOIP.Setup.exe file seems to reset it however then it just goes right back to not work. However this entire time TS works just fine.

It's very odd and doesn't really make much sense at all. Although my computer at home as a separate soundcard while the other computer has onboard motherboard sound. That might be the only reason.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6849|Cologne, Germany

I use onboard sound, and my non-USB Plantronics Game One works just fine. then again, I am a Win2000 user, so what do I know...
harleyds
+0|6685
Just out of curiosity since no one has mentioned it, but are you guys that are having trouble with VOIP hitting "V" when you try to talk to your squad?  Or even "C" talk to your commander?  I might have the keys messed up cause I'm at work and can't verify.  Plus I set my mouse back up button for squad speak and the scroll wheel press down for commander speak so I don't have to look at my keyboard to talk to someone in the middle of a firefight.

When you do have the correct key pressed for squad speak, a small green speaker will appear on the right side of your screen under the HUD.  A Green speaker with a Star will appear when you are talking to your commander, (you can only do this if you are the squad leader).  A red speaker indicates you are talking too loud and the sound is distorted.

On a slightly different note, on one server I was playing on, I was a squad member and I could swear I was hearing the commander.  Anyone heard of this happening?
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6702|San Francisco
I use the microphone headset for the Playstation 2.  Plug it in, and it's instantly recognized.  Just have to set that for input, and your speakers/headphones for output, and off you go!
airborne916
+24|6673
yeah for some reson when i did the bf2 mic test is never work (it did with tram speak and css) so one time my squad was tlaking up a storm so i just said can you hear me? and they said yeah. I have been talking to my squad even since.
tczblood
+2|6644|UK
if got the same sort of problem, i run the bf2voip setup, works fine..
when i play the game and check manage it shows fine there but after 5 mins it goes, leave the game running check the volume controls and its shows the mic has be muted. if i unmute it, it doesnt fix it..
i would need to close down the game re-run voipsetup and it will come back again.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard