nordicfireman
+7|6716
i have a pentium 4 at 2.8ghz, 1.5 gigs of ram (512 unknown that came with my comp, 1 gig kingston) and a geforce 6800gs agp card. my 3dmark05 score is about 5000. i've been playing with most settings at medium and AA on 4x, and i get frame rates of anywhere from about 30 to about 70, but most of the time it's 40-50.

however, once every game or two, my fps will suddenly drop to maybe 5-10. the weird part is, when i look away from where everyone is, it usually goes smooth again. as soon as i get another person on my screen, it drops. it can be a tank, a foot soldier, anything. also, i don't have to be able to see them directly, just their user name.

i first thought it was something to do with my wireless internet connection lagging, but i noticed that the problem also happens in single player if my settings are on high. what happens then is i'll be getting about 40 fps no matter what's happening if i'm looking in one direction, but if i look quickly to the left or right it slows for a second, and then sometimes it will just randomly start the 5-10 fps thing.

any help on this would be much appreciated.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6744
How long has this been going on? If its just since the last patch I'd say it might have something to do with the changes EA/Dice made, but if its been going on longer then it must be something else. I'd try turning shadows and lighting to low, those are the settings that use up the most system resources.

I'm assuming you've already installed the latest video drivers, but if you havent try that.
nordicfireman
+7|6716
i've actually only played 1.2 on this computer. i'm going to see if i get the problem with settings on low, although my system should be able to handle much more than that, even if it isn't top of the line. as for the video drivers, i have the latest that work with my card, 83.40.

Last edited by nordicfireman (2006-02-27 03:14:58)

Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6744
If you really need to test, you can uninstall bf2 and install the 1.12 patch, I believe you can even play on ranked servers still. It's a pain in the ass, but may help determine if the problem is related to the patch or not.
DraGon.EXE
+1|6724
I you don't use AA your framerate is higher
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6887|Bryan/College Station, TX
I've noticed that if you are looking at a group of players whose ping times are very high that it seems to gitter your screen as if you are lagging. Often I've noticed that laggy servers are due to quite a few people with over 150 ping times. The collective of these slower pings seems to lag everything regardless of specs or ping to your own computer.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard