Havazn
+39|6706|van.ca

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

SunTzu wrote:

128MB AGP, plus the Ram (what speed is the Gig you have?) could be your culprit.  It could also be what is on your machine...
BTW: when you say "unplayable" do you mean it lags badly online, or that you can't even play single player mode... these are two different problems.

Is you HD defragged?
Do you have 70 items going on your taskbar?
Are your video drivers up to date?
Do you have enough space on your HD for virtual memory (it typically stretches to 10% total disk size)
do you have Anti spyware / Anti virus running when your trying to play?
Have you opened the ports on your router to allow faster data transfer?
What speed is your DSL / Cable?

Also make sure you have turned off all TSR's that you don't need... Messenger alone can cause your ping rates to fly off the board.

BTW: why is this in the Chatter forum? shouldn't it be a help topic?
My gig of RAM is DDR PC400 memory.

Unplayable means that there were horrible fps-drops close to zero on 64 player servers,never really extensively tested singleplayer.

HD defrags itself when it's time(O&O defrag),at least I hope it does.

No items on my taskbar except one folder so Alt+Tab works ingame,in the system tray there's only the Razor icon and the Norton autoprotect.

Video drivers should be up to date,I update them regularly.

5.53 of 9.76 gigs HD space free on C:,my D:-partition is 102 gigs big but there are usually only a few gigs free there(Is there virtual memory on D: ?).

I have Norton auto protect running all the time,wouldn't disabling it during online play let viruses and worms infect files without me noticing?

I don't use a router,it's my machine and the DSL-modem,so no ports opening there.

I have 1000er T-DSL with FastPath,125 KB/s down,16KB/s up,that's a common DSL-version here in Germany,on German on Austrian servers I get pings of 10-20,that's definetely not the problem.

No ICQ,Messenger or other stuff running while playing BF2,I'm busy at these moments.

And I don't know why it is in the chatter section,I just read it like all the crap that appears here on a daily basis and I thought I could get some nice tips from people with a similar setup like me.

So,what settings would you recommend after I answered all your questions?
I'd say if the medium settings you had on there before were working, just stick with that.

I used to run an AMD 2000+, 768MB of ram, and ATI 9800 128MB card. I could only get about the same as you. No higher.
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6709|Germany

Havazn wrote:

I'd say if the medium settings you had on there before were working, just stick with that.
I used to run an AMD 2000+, 768MB of ram, and ATI 9800 128MB card. I could only get about the same as you. No higher.
I've set Lighting from low to medium today,looks a lot better and it doesn't demand a lot more of performance.
Flying jets on Zatar was a bit more jerky than usual,but it's ok for 1gig of RAM.
All in all my machine makes BF2 look pretty enough for me to play with it.

When I have 2 gigs of RAM I'll see what I can still get out of the settings,without slowing down the actual performance it has at the moment,which is good.

Last edited by Mj.Blindfisch (2006-02-27 15:38:40)

airborne916
+24|6678
My sepcs are

x700pro
P4 @ 3.2
2 X 512

and every game i have RUNS GREAT css,cod,ut2k4,hl2, bf1942,bfv, americas army, and all them games run great. But BF2 is the only one that giaves me problems. I have 160 bux and i need to buy SF and a joy stick, since im 15 and that is all my xmas money should i get a nother gig? or shoud i save for a better card?
*TS*tphai
The Forum Alien
+89|6818|The planet Tophet
where can i get 2 gigs?
*TS*tphai
The Forum Alien
i have 768 mb of ram is that good??
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6778|Cambridge (UK)

airborne916 wrote:

should i get a nother gig?
From everything I've seen on the subject, and particularly from the evidence of a friend who has exactly the same system as me, except I have 1Gig and he has 3Gig. Yes, you should get another Gig.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6778|Cambridge (UK)

*TS*tphai wrote:

i have 768 mb of ram is that good??
I that a joke? (No, 768mb is not good).

*TS*tphai wrote:

where can i get 2 gigs?
Crucial or another quality RAM manufacturer.
CrazeD
+368|6685|Maine

*TS*tphai wrote:

where can i get 2 gigs?
www.tigerdirect.com , www.newegg.com , there are others.. but those are a couple good ones. Newegg generally has good pricing.

Kingston, Corsair, Crucial.. a few good brands to look at. Don't get cheap crap. Buy PC3200 (400MHz) too.
josh's
Banned
+2|6701

VeNg3nCe^ wrote:

1 gig isn't enough to play the game at high settings.
my lap top has 1 gig of ram and i run bf2 on medium on it i thin its card is an x1600
Nitaro02
+0|6675
I run BF2 with 512 RAM and a ATI 9600 All-In-Wonder.  Load times are a bit long, so I make sure to find servers that are set to have short "Verifying client data" time.  I get the initial bit of lag in the beginning, but other than that, it's all good.

I don't know why but whenever I hit submit only once it seems to show up on my computer 2 times and if I delete one the other one is deleted or something.  Sorry if I double posted.

Last edited by Nitaro02 (2006-02-27 17:19:49)

-=]DeatH1337[=-
+51|6646|England
I play BF2 ok with my specs, and i don't think i even meet the minimum requirements for the game.

P4 1.67
512 MB RAM
GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 128MB RAM
Magus_CT83
+0|6698
Ati 9550, 768 Ram, 2.0 P4, Not much issues, somewhat long load times and that 'server fart'.  But other than that, not many issues.  Make sure your harddrive isn't set to PIO only mode, that cleaned up a lot of issues for me.
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6846

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

=[4th]=SlayThem wrote:

BF2 = Resource hog.
2gig of ram will fix all of your problems.(unless your computer is just crap)
I have a 6600GT and 2 gig of ram and I run everything on high, no lag.
Yeah,but a PCI-express 6600GT,so it's 256MB of graphics memory,or it is still a AGP like mine?
Sorry to bump this but SlayThem's inbox is full so I can't send a PM...

Maybe I'm running my BF2 on settings not good enough for my system...

I installed BF2,set everything to kinda high and it was unplayable,so I tuned down the settings,it was still unplayable,so I bought some new RAM,with 1 gig it runs quite ok on medium details.
But I haven't tried yet to set some settings back to high again,I always thought my 6600GT 128MB AGP is the culprit of this "mediumness" of details,not the lack of RAM.

My system specs:
XP64 3000+
GF 6600GT 128MB AGP
1 gig of RAM(I consider upgrading to 2 gigs)

I run BF2 at 1024x768@75Hz,the first 4 settings set to medium,all the lighting and stuff set to low and no Anti-Aliasing.

So that's why I have these questions for SlayThem (AGP or PCI-e?) or anybody else here:

Am I running BF2 on settings too low for my machine?
Is it all depending on just another gig of RAM?Or do the 256MB of the PCI-e cards the trick?

So,in short: What are the best possible BF2 settings for my system specs?
Okay... I do have a PCI-E card, but it's only 128mb. But PCI-E is still better than AGP, btu I doubt it would make that much of a difference.

my specs:
Athlon 64 3200+
6600GT PCI-E 128mb
2gigs corsair value ram

I run everything high, 2x AA(maybe it's 4x I can't remember) ZERO lag/stuttering. Before I had the 2x1gb sticks I had 2x512mb sticks and I had a couple settings on high, but everything else on medium and no AA. For BF2, I'd say.. "MORE RAM" if you're having trouble with stuttering/lag. Unless ofcourse you're running a celeron and a 5400 (in other words, if you have a crap machine) lol.
*TS*tphai
The Forum Alien
i do run everything on high its a little laggy but it works ok
SunTzu
Playdough! Nope C4...
+6|6735|Toronto, ON, CAN

*TS*tphai wrote:

where can i get 2 gigs?
Ask Chuy, everybody else has (referring to the "Drool" topic in the News section)

silentsin
+3|6710

VeNg3nCe^ wrote:

1 gig isn't enough to play the game at high settings.
LOL, I play the game at medium settings, with some of the shadowing and such turned on and i have 512mb of ram. Because I'm not wasting anymore money on this god damn computer. Why do you waste all that money just to get a better computer? Thats stupid in my opinion, unless you can throw cash around like nothing.

Last edited by silentsin (2006-02-27 19:12:44)

SunTzu
Playdough! Nope C4...
+6|6735|Toronto, ON, CAN

airborne916 wrote:

My specs are
x700pro
P4 @ 3.2
2 X 512
...I have 160 bux and i need to buy SF and a joy stick, ... should i get a nother gig? or should i save for a better card?
How much time do you plan on spending on BF2? If all of your other games run great, then you would only be purchasing this upgrade for the one game. Doesn't make alot of sense if this is all of your funds (till you get a paper hat, and offer Fries with my burger=) )

If this was my choice, and I knew that all I would have is the 160 for a while, I would either:
A: accept that I could only play this game in small sized servers
-or-
B:  Get a cheap 1Gb DDR2 Dimm (unless you can afford matched pairs), and a lower end joystick.

That being said, I still don't have a joystick, have been unimpressed with Special Forces. I use a gamepad for flying, and I even considered upping my mem to 4Gig (other apps, not because of BF2).

I am double your age though, so I have a bit more disposable income.
SunTzu
Playdough! Nope C4...
+6|6735|Toronto, ON, CAN

Havazn wrote:

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

Unplayable means that there were horrible fps-drops close to zero on 64 player servers,never really extensively tested singleplayer.

5.53 of 9.76 gigs HD space free on C:,my D:-partition is 102 gigs big but there are usually only a few gigs free there(Is there virtual memory on D: ?).

I have Norton auto protect running all the time,wouldn't disabling it during online play let viruses and worms infect files without me noticing?

I removed alot of the topic (Blindfisch - your more long winded than me, an I have written some long ass responses on this thing! ), but this is what I would have recommended...
Norton - Kill it. your not online using a browser, so unless you have opened directories on your HDD for PDP programs, there is low risk that you would get anything without turning on MS IE.

Virtual memory on D: ? Depends on how you set it up... I would look at the settings. The virtual mem would mostly effect the game startup. The "server fart" so nicely put earlier, is where your Hard disk is transmitting texture info to your CPU / memory.  To reduce the effect, reduce the texture settings, and the draw distance... the lighting will make a difference too, however I tend to enjoy seeing the shadow of a player coming around the corner... I can even tell what kit they are using!

The memory would make a difference, but the question is with the changes to PC's coming this year, do you really want to spend much more on the machine you have now?

L8R
Nitaro02
+0|6675
Ya I am poor so I can't upgrade any of my hardware in my computer.  Maybe when I get a job.  Until then, I'll live with what I have and when the day comes that I can't play video games anymore at all, even at the lowest settings, I'll consider buying a new computer.  Until then, I'll stick with my comp no matter as long as my comp can even match the minimum system requirements.
[QXJZ]Capt_Kefra
Alright, you're good to go!
+124|6741|Honolulu, HI
If I have a cable modem that regularly gives me transfer speeds >400~500KBps, is it still possible for me to be suffering packet loss?  My specs are P4 2.4 GHz, 1 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9550 OC to 380 MHz, Win XP Pro with a freshly de-virused, defragged 40GB hard drive.  My problem is frequent (about every 45 seconds) messages telling me in-game that "There is a problem with your connection".  I posted this problem in a different thread and it was suggested I use the command console to check for packet loss and the result was truly alarming...of about 32 million packets sent during BF2, 25 million needed to be re-sent due to loss.

This is a connection problem, correct?  Does it have anything to do with my lack of RAM, vid card, or processing power?  Any input is vastly appreciated...as it stands, BF2 is nigh unplayable...
Vic42
+2|6735|Sacramento, California

[QXJZ]Capt_Kefra wrote:

If I have a cable modem that regularly gives me transfer speeds >400~500KBps, is it still possible for me to be suffering packet loss? I use the command console to check for packet loss and the result was truly alarming...of about 32 million packets sent during BF2, 25 million needed to be re-sent due to loss.
You answered your own question. That is a terrible packet loss rate, and it is almost certainly due to a problem with your ISP or your cable modem. Your ISP should be able to tell you which one is the problem.

Point your browser to 192.168.100.1 and you will get your cable modem's web page (unless your ISP disabled it). Also, go to BroadbandReports.com and similar sights to get more info on how this stuff works.

[QXJZ]Capt_Kefra wrote:

This is a connection problem, correct?  Does it have anything to do with my lack of RAM, vid card, or processing power?  Any input is vastly appreciated...as it stands, BF2 is nigh unplayable...
I'd say there is a 98% chance that the problem is with your ISP and totally beyond your control.
cmotdibbler
+19|6678|The pork thing inna bun stall.
My Specs
AMD 64 3700+
ATI X800GT
1 1/2 gigs Ram.

Run everything on medium or high with 2x AA and so far no lag. Did a check yesterday and found BF2 was using 820 megs of mem at these settings.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard