maef
+67|6708|Tulln, Austria
first of all: don't flame me and come up with stuff like "use teh search n00b". i did. i spent about an hour reading threads that didn't help me at all, so i decided to make up my own.
now to my problem.

the whole thing started about 2 or 3 days ago. i join a server having my usual ping of around 60-80 (yeah i know, that's not too god, but well, my internet connection sucks). i always played with my ping like that and never had any problems.
but now i start playing and after about 10 seconds i get this damned "there's a problem with your connection". nothing works for a couple of seconds and suddenly the message is gone and i can go on playing normally. another 10 seconds later the message is back and it's lagging as hell again. then all of a sudden, everything's fine again. this usually goes on for a couple minutes until i lose my patience and quit playing. and it's not the server. that happens on every server i join.

i don't understand where that shit comes from. everything was running fine just a couple days ago. also, it can't be the new patch. i've had some nice time playing after the patch. it really apperared out ouf nowhere. i didn't change any firewall or router settings or any of my equipment.
it's really just like "i'm playing just perfectly", "i shut down my pc", "i start up the next day" and "everything's screwed"

this is really pissing me off big time. so please try and give me any advice you can come up with.

thanks in advance

maef
jonsass
+1|6786|Beastmanville, Skeletorland
I used to have that problem. The solution was to simply deactivate VOIP.
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6810|Perth, Western Australia
Teamspeak made my computer do that, but not other VOIP programs
maef
+67|6708|Tulln, Austria
thanks for the quick reply guys.

that VOIP thing sounds good, i have already heard of some peolpe having problems with it, but have to admit i didn't think of it myself. i'll give it a try tomorrow (it's 5 in the morning here where i live, so no more experiments tonight)

i'll tell you if it worked out as soon as i know
Gam Man
+5|6752
I doubt it is Voip, simply because the problem is recent.

This happens on my half-ass AOL connection every once in a while - my advice, just wait it out.
Nitaro02
+0|6687
Ya, I've had that problem too.  I have Comcast cable, and it was never doing this until recently.  I notice it doesn't happen to other people in the server (cause I usually end up dead when it happens).

When it happens, sometimes I lose my connection, normally I just sit there and wait.

It's an incredible pain though when you turn the corner, spot a guy, hit z to go prone, and are about to waste him and then it freeze up, you come back and you are selecting a spawn point.

I have VoIP disabled though, so I'm not sure if that'll fix your problem, but you can give it a try, maybe somehow VoIP got checked to be running again.  I'm not sure, but good luck.

*EDIT* I just realized that VoIP got re-enabled somehow, but nobody is on on the servers that I like so I'll see if that fixes my problem as well later tonight or something.  Hopefully it does, and if it does, thanks for the help from you guys, and good luck to maef in getting yours fixed.

Last edited by Nitaro02 (2006-02-25 20:49:13)

Mantlsman
+1|6670
i have a similar problem with lag, figured i would just post here. I have comcast cable and have decent ping 30-70. In any serverempty or full about every +/- 20 seconds my game shudders and like lags for a milisecond and when i try to tunr left or right or any direction it resets back to the orignal posions, this happensfor 1 or so seconds, But in the worst times it happens even when im walking alone or in a vehicle. ive had bf since demo and i cant remember if it happened then, I ran bf2 1st on my old emachines and now have a ctons 3500+ with 2g ram and 6800xt. I have no idead wut to do thnx
MonkeyBizniss
+0|6659
I was having the same problem, and then found an article that had a solution that solved my connectino problems.

Apparently BF2, doesn't like dual core CPUs...

So if you have a dual core CPU, here's how you fix it:

- Start BF2,
- Alt-tab out and go into the task manager
- Right-click on BF2.exe, and then click on "Affinity..."
- Deselct one of your CPUs, then click OK
- Alt-tab back into BF2, and all of your connection problems should disappear!

It worked for me...
KillerYaNk
Hard Case
+11|6706|S.E. United States
ok...
what if you dont have duel cores
as Ive been having this problem as well
and its not my connection,Im with time warner cable
pings always 35-45
and this problem was near non existent before this latest patch
so I believe its patch related !
maef
+67|6708|Tulln, Austria
ok, i tried deactivating VOIP, but it didn't help.
i also tested what would happen at my girlfriends place (same ISP), but the same problems occurred.

btw i also noticed, whenever the "connection problem" message comes up and i check my ping it's somewhere around 500-1000 and goes back down to the normal 80-60 within a couple of seconds.

so, any more tips? or do i just have to wait and see if things get better someday? this thing has been going on for almost a week now.
torinogtman
+0|6657

maef wrote:

ok, i tried deactivating VOIP, but it didn't help.
i also tested what would happen at my girlfriends place (same ISP), but the same problems occurred.

btw i also noticed, whenever the "connection problem" message comes up and i check my ping it's somewhere around 500-1000 and goes back down to the normal 80-60 within a couple of seconds.

so, any more tips? or do i just have to wait and see if things get better someday? this thing has been going on for almost a week now.
Have you tried calling Comcasts internet help desk? I know they can be useless at times, but maybe they have a suggestion that might be able to help? Lots of people play games online so there are probably some troubleshooting tips they can run through with you to make sure it isn't a problem with your computer's connection.

I'm having the same problem too. And so far it isn't getting better, in fact it is getting worse.

I'm convinced it is my cable companies bit-shapping software that they have installed to slow down bit-torrents. They would never admit that could be a problem or even admit that they have this software "management" system installed on their networks. SHAW CABLE YOU BASTARDS! GIVE ME MY BANDWIDTH!!!!!!!!!
torinogtman
+0|6657
Oh ya, make sure you have all other background programs closed - MSN, etc. You can probably turn off antivirus if you have a firewall running.

I also assume that you are wired directly into your modem, not through a wired or wireless router? That could cause some delays but in theory shouldn't.
Rogue
+0|6682
I had the same problem a while back and I found it to be PunkBuster related.  Everytime I get the problem now, I update Punkbuster with the software from this site:

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

Just keep clicking on check for updates until there's nothing left to update.
Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6737|Norway
I agree - trying support-line to your ISP might help (see if they are having trouble)

Needless to say, downloading other stuff will cause delays. (although you said you tried it at your girlfriends place. - does she have the same ISP?)
Is your/her computer infected with malware/virus? that could potentially create problems.
And yeah - switching off firewall has helped me enormously!

Hope you get it straightened out!
BaGGy
+0|6716
I have been getting kicked ever since this patch.. I havent had an issue til now.

I connect to a server then I get booted 5secs after load, there is no solution. Its a serious problem cause my friends are experiencing this issue as well...
maef
+67|6708|Tulln, Austria
alright, i was pretty busy this week so i had no chance to try any of your suggestions until today.

what i did now was to simply turn off my firewall like Friluftshund said and everything seems to work just fine again. i didn't consider trying this as i have always played with my firewall activated, but one of the recent auto-updates seems to have changed something.

on the other hand it could have just been a temporary problem at my ISP like Gam Man said. i think i'll try to turn my firewall back on sometime and see if things still work out. if not i know what the problem is, if it does i'm still happy things are fine now again.

anyway, the problem seems to be solved. at least for the moment.

thanks a lot to all of you for taking some time to try helping me.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard