Goose_MP[TBG]
+1|6695
Over the past few days (since 1.2) I have had 3 occasions where i have been flying(either plane or chopper) over the top of an arty strike, and have been hit by an arty shell (which obviously results in a kill).

Now my question is this - have Dice/EA changed the arty such that if you fly over an arty strike (and I wasnt at ground level (about 100-150m) you get hit? This would make sense - alot of ppl are demanding more realism, and there is no way that aircraft and choppers will fly across the flight path of arty, so maybe Dice have changed the coding of the arty strikes....

Or am I just plain unlucky? As a guess, I would say that I had flown over 6-10 in progress arty strikes, and was cleaned up on 3 of them..

Anyone else encountered this?
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6674|Colorado
Your just unlucky
the-lanky-one
+1|6637
get lost arty is not bad at all if u we cant use it what is the point of having a commander if there is no arty but i think it would be cool if it was like real life and 2 infertry had to use it i reckon that is what should happen
Tennouheika
+0|6637
I think it has always been like that.
I remember back in the days of the Demo to BF2 when I've flown my plane through an artillery strike and been hit.
BangStick_ky
+0|6692
Never been safe to fly over arty strike.

I know from plenty of experience.  I have a knack for flying my chopper into them.

Last edited by BangStick_ky (2006-02-25 19:58:23)

TigrisJK
+3|6727
It's just rare. Like a direct hit on a tank/APC will frag it... but the direct hit has be be... pretty damned direct.
EVIL_STYX
TANK WHORE
+62|6684|FIVE RIVERS OF HELL
Yea, I thought it just might have been a unlucky day myself but after the patch the enemy artillery just seemed to rip right through my tanks. I died alot more than usual, I would say I died maybe twice while in a tank in a artillery barage pre-patch 1.2, after the patch I must have died about twelve times in a tank in one day. Still, it may have been just a bad day.

Last edited by EVIL_STYX (2006-02-25 22:50:14)

TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6674|Colorado
yup , some days the commander is just on target, other days I can sprint threw art np.
ComradeWho
+50|6696|Southern California
i think you're just unlucky as well
if i'm in a fighter i don't go out of my way to avoid flying through arty strikes, but a result of that is that i've been hit in mid air by a falling artillery shell a couple of times. in the majority of instances you're fine but every once in a while you get hit. i'd say you just had a bad streak.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6654
I swear that arty has started auto-aiming. Maybe I'm just paranoid but the amount of times the first arty shell has landed straight on my head in the past week is scary
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6748|The United Center

the-lanky-one wrote:

get lost arty is not bad at all if u we cant use it what is the point of having a commander if there is no arty but i think it would be cool if it was like real life and 2 infertry had to use it i reckon that is what should happen
are you fucking illiterate?  he never said anything about arty being bad, nor did he say he wanted it gone.

also, youre just unlucky.  arty has always been able to take down things flying through it.  ive been in jets, choppers, and even parachuting and gotten hit by arty.
Inquatitis
+1|6640
they didnt change anything about artie.
its always been like that.
rustynutz
I am British!
+124|6684|England and damn proud
if u get in a jet, when the arty starts to shoot go staright up and u will see it go up then loop to where it is going, but i think that was me who killed u though? cause yesterday on a server i took the same guy out in a heli twice with arty
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6718|Riva, MD
If you get hit by arty while flying a jet, your luck is horrible, even worse than mine with my .55 K/D ratio.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2006-03-14 04:22:42)

DeadboyUSMC
+65|6700|NCFSU2
Sounds like bad luck. However, artillery is an indirect weapon system, meaning you don't shoot straight at your target. You just caught a round on it's descent. It's mostly because the howitzers are only a couple of hundred meters away from their targets, resulting in high angle missions(the guns pointing straight up I mean), so the fire arc is basically straight up, then straight down. If they were a few miles away (*cough* like they should be) this wouldn't happen as often. A 155mm RAP round has a range of approx. 18 miles, but for game balance, you can C-4 the emplacements. No one wants invincible arty in a game like this!

So just avoid the strikes if you can is what I'm saying!

Semper.

Last edited by DeadboyUSMC (2006-03-14 08:39:11)

PunkX
stoned
+198|6625|Canada
I dont know, but the arty always hits just me, no one else, just me.
Cbass
Kick His Ass!
+371|6695|Howell, Mi USA
No, it's always been like that. i flew over my own arty firing a long time ago and was killed by a shell.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/bb53a522780eff5b30ba3252d44932cc2f5b8c4f.png
strangelove
HOBO SPIRIT
+77|6622|the side hatch
seems like a consensus here that arty hasn't changed but i had never seen a high flying helo downed in a strike until after this patch and now ive seen it a few times

i used to see them 'splode from splash fom buildings but never well over the ground
killaer
+41|6719
That has happened to me once in a blackhawk..

"MOVE!!! DAMN IT MOVE AWAY WE CAN CAP IT LATER! DON'T FLY IN ARTY!! MOVE YOU STUPID SOME OF A B-"

You have been killed.
Respawning in 15
SineNomine
Panzerblitz
+37|6724|SPARTA
I  don't share your opinion. Before patch 1.2 you could easily stand still in an arty-strike as tanker. Dying was very, very rare. In 110 hours in an tank I never died that often like in the following 17 after patch 1.2. Arty is now more deadly for vehicles
RhadamanthysSCC
+2|6725|Perth, Western Australia
Bah! Hit by arty in mid-air isn't all that unlucky. I got crated the other day. Flew in for a bombing run over a flag on Taraba and flew smack into a suddenly materialised crate the enemy commander had dropped. Worst part was it appeared to count as a suicide. Still, I suppose the enemy commander thought the worst part was not being credited with the kill...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard