Croak
+11|6863|San Marcos, CA

pish180 wrote:

nice one croak... i did just want to point out a few things tho.  Anyone who has had been in the army and or marines, who has been issued an m16 better get to like it, for it is thier rifle, and to death till they part moto!  I would only expect that, but again, it depends on you situtation.  And i am almost willing to bet there is not a person in here that has shot an ak47, or at least not in a continious situtation.   There are several reason why you would choose ak47 over m16, and vise versa.

Me perosnally, i would be using the ak, and if if i was offered the the m8 i would be tempted, after somethings i have seen done with it, but still discouraged a bit by the 5.56.

Also note Weight:
ak47 with full clip: 10.7lbs
m16a2 w/full clip: 8.8 lbs
xm8 w/full clip: around 7.5lbs - no official measurement has been done, (at least that that i could find) stating the weight of the weapon in assault style w/clip.  I am assuming it is due to it still being worked on.
I used to own a pre-ban Chinese semiauto AK47 (Norinco Type 56) back in the '80s.   I didn't spend any money or time accurizing or accessorizing it (beyond buying a 75 round drum mag for it), and the Norinco was made in the same factory that made "real" military Type 56s for the PLA.  So it was a pretty fair example of a service issue AK47, with the exception of full-auto capability.  If anything, the Norinco was of HIGHER quality than the Soviet Bloc versions.

I put at least a thousand rounds through it over the three years I owned it, which is far more than most military personnel will fire a service rifle in training. It was surely reliable, though it DID choke on surplus milspec ammo on a number of occasions.  It was a hoot to plink with, and whenever I took friends with me to shoot, they invariably wanted to fire the Norinco (especially when I had the 75 rounder loaded up).  But it was not worth a damn for repeatable groups at anything beyond 100 yards, and even 50 yards or closer it had pretty poor accuracy.  Tasked with killing people in a wide variety of environments and ranges, I'd take the AK47 over a WWII rifle, but not over an M16, because the M16 is just better at the job in trained hands.

BTW, for an interesting comparision of the various calibers, take a look at this little calculator and compare the 7.62x39, the 7.62 NATO (.308), and the 5.56 NATO.

http://billstclair.com/energy.html
nelson496
+3|6843
I have a friend in the military and he said that the gov't cancelled the M8 and XM8 productions.
pish180
+0|6852
Intresting link Croak.

Nelson496... no offense... but i dont think your friend is going to know that information.  It is WAY above him.  Unless your friend is Donald Rumsfeld.

I cant really see why they would want to cancel the gun either.  They have invested money into it already.  Not to mention it is cheaper to make, More reialable, lighter, 5-6 differnet layouts (sniper, support, carbine, assault, micro), many many other better things about it!!
{TL}SHARPSHOOTER
Vacuum Sealed for Freshness
+26|6802|The Island of Carls Jr.
The XM-8 should be an unlock because its just another G-36 and i dont want only the SAS to get good weapons

M-8 with the GL for the assault
M-8 Carbine for the Spec-ops
M-8 LMG version for support
M-8 Parasniper for (Duh) snipers
and the normal one for the medix
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6895
they Got to get rid of the .22 cal weapons. they F#$%% you up. you will die or spend the Rest of your life in an ICU but we need a cartrige that knocks people down.
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6813
Yes its true the M16 series sucks, anyone who disagrees fails to realise that was the reason for the M4 lol. 3 round burst is useful but it like a musket against a Garand when it comes to a face off against someone armed with an ak101, which lets face it pwns all
freebirdpat
Base Rapist
+5|6811

rEdTe@M wrote:

http://ly.lygo.com/ly/wired/news/images/full/metal_storm1b_f.jpg

This gun made by AUS fires a MILLION rounds per min
Its not a gun that you can carry though, and its still limited by ammo capacity. It would need a million rounds loaded into it to fire a million rounds. Just because it can unload 1000 rounds in under a second doesn't mean it can fire a million rounds per second, the system to be able to load a gun to fire such an ammount definitely hasn't been discovered, and seriously you would be better at using larger rounds of ammo instead of just loading lots of small ammo into a gun if you know you can hit the target. What is better, 1000 rounds of 9mm ammo hitting  a tank or 10 rounds of 50 cal BMG from an actual m95 hitting a target.

Metal Storm is totally designed for something completely different from what typical guns are used for.

Ontopic: From what I have read, the XM8 and OICW, basically all the personal weapon upgrades from the M4, and M-16A2(which is the current inservice rifle and is already ingame), the programs have not been canceled, but they have been essentially postponed to realign goals of the upgrading, my bet is they want to spend money to get one weapon to be used throughtout the forces instead of USMC having their mainline weapon, USAF having thier mainline weapon and the USARMY having a completely defifferent mainline weapon. Why make a weapon that is supposed to fit one role, and that being basic service rifle, 4 or more times for each service branch. the other reason this is happening is to make sure they get a weapon that is also useful and fixes the problems of previous weapons.
Heretic
+3|6835
I have never fired a gun in real life. I have no desire to do so. I have played many games and have come to a conclusion. The M16 is a burst fire rifle, the AK is a full auto. Full auto is going to save your ass in close quarters combat but, the M16 is more accurate and requires more patience and precision. My opinion...

Burst fire is more deadly, more accurate, and will save your life in ranged combat. It demands more composure to fire.

Your an idiot if you assume burst is more effective in close quarters but, your chances are better overall with a weapon that demands precision and patience.  If your clearing a building with a weapon that is not fixed with full auto I would question the higher authority, not the experence of the officer beside you.

I would choose the M16 as a weapon to defend my life.

Being Canadian I say the M16 owns with pride considering our M16 variant is full auto.

Shame on the Canadian government.

Last edited by Heretic (2005-11-15 22:55:34)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6814|Scotland

i think that this gun should be made for spec ops or even assault.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as70-e.htm
tell me what u think

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard