Poll

Is the L96A1 silenced?

Yea your argument is valid and the gun is silenced.30%30% - 23
No I still think It is not silenced.34%34% - 26
Silenced L96? I can't even hear an RPK 10 feet away!34%34% - 26
Total: 75
Operator_Stavros
+3|6729
I know it seems dumb to say it, but the rifle acts very much like a suppressed L96, also called the AWS, here is the evidence.

Observation #1. The sound of the weapons is like "tsk.....KOOOOOOOOOW"  This mimics a suppressed sniper rifle exactly to a T, because the report of the weapon is muffled down to a simply "tsk" but the supersonic round still rips past the sound barrier leaving you with that awesome supersonic crack echoing off in the distance.  When on the battlefield you can easily hear the echoing of a L96 firing, but unless you are right next to the guy, I doubt you hear the muffled "tsk" report from the shot.

Explanation #1. A real suppressed rifle acts very much in the same way when firing supersonic ammo.  If firing subsonic ammo it would not even make that echo sound from the supersonic crack. When silencing pistols, even with supersonic ammo, the silencer and short barrel combination  slow the bullet down below the sound barrier negating the supersonic crack, thus all you hear is "tsk, tsk, tsk" as you fire away as compared to the L96.

Observation #2.  The muzzle flash is insignificant compared to an M24 or M95.  In game I can tell when an enemy sniper is firing those guns, but with the L96 he may be shooting but you can't even see a muzzle flash.

Explanation #2. Real suppressed weapons take the gas travelling down the barrel and channel them through a system of baffles, packing material, or fluids.  The escaping gas from the end of the silencer loses much if not all of the muzzle flash.  Recoil is also reduced now that there is reduced muzzle blast, and there is less chance for debris around the muzzle to be disturbed upon firing the weapon.

Observation #3
The real standard issue L96A1 military has a narrower barrel and a front sight.  Check it out
On display
https://world.guns.ru/sniper/l96.jpg
In action
https://www.gun-world.net/article/Britain/ai/uk_iraq7.jpg

The BF2 Version has a fat (suppressed) barrel and no front sight
https://www.totalbf2.com/news/images/l96a1.jpg
https://www.glide-vertical-doors.com/images/bt1580/AWS.jpg

And the real Suppressed Accuracy International AWS
https://www.gun-world.net/article/Britain/ai/awsupressed.jpg
CTD-CaptainBuck
BLEEDING BLUE
+71|6759|Tenn
when im shooting it, it sounds like a deer hunting rifle(vaguely? im not a deer hunter) so i wouldnt have a valid argument
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6687|Mountains of West Virginia
eh maybe

by the looks i would agree

by the sound its iffy

I dont know off the top of my head, does the barrel (in bf2) put off a large flash? that could be another indicator
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6766|Noizyland

A Deer hunting rifle is any rifle that is used to shoot a deer, so that's not very specific.

I think Starvos is right. You don't really hear the sould of the round going off do you? You know when someone is firing a rifle, but you don't know where from. Cool for me, I can be more stealthy in game.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
PFCStenzel
Check your AA alarm...
+82|6786|Idaho, USA / Age 30
Operator,

I agree with you 100% beacuse I hear the same thing.  It is a sweet sound.  I love it.
glopje_nl
+21|6662|HOLLAND
it sound like an sniper rifle or a big rifle from WO|| like in medal of honor the rifles sound just like this one
and its not silenced i think but when u get shot by it u dont know where it came from cuz u hear the sound evrywhere
=FDX=VEga
Carlos Hathcock Jr
+7|6704|'Ull, Yorkshire, England
It certainly doesn't sound like a real L96A1 (so it could sound like an AWS which I haven't heard) but then again the in game L85A1 doesn't sound like a real L85. I think the only reason that DICE gave it the sound it has is to make it sound different from the other rifles, in reality there is very little difference in the way rifles of the same caliber sound.

Something I have noticed is that the L96A1 in game does sound like it may be suppressed in that it is hard to distinguish the distance and direction of the shooter, this may be something that was intentionally done to give the L96A1 some advantage, but then I can't see why they didn't just call it an AI AWS if they were going to have it as a suppressed weapon.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD
I have to say, I can't hear anything when someone fires it from a couple feet away, and the only evidence I have that they ever fired it is the way the weapon bounces up against them as recoil (No flash, you're right about that.), and the large chunk of health missing from my bar.  When i'm right next to someone who fires it, I can definately hear it very loudly, it is even more noisy when right next to someone than an M95 is imo.
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6684|England
me a and a friend were taking about this the other week, it looks like the artic warefare rifle and not the L96a1.
EA/DICE made a mistake?
shspunkrockr
+0|6744
Because you made such a detailed explanation, i'm gonna agree with you.

PS I fucking love the echo, I almost had an orgasm just firing the thing(figuratively speaking of course)
{PAMD64}canuk
+0|6718

Drykill wrote:

me a and a friend were taking about this the other week, it looks like the artic warefare rifle and not the L96a1.
EA/DICE made a mistake?
Same gun.
Kamikaze17
Over the line!
+70|6740|Mark it zero.

shspunkrockr wrote:

Because you made such a detailed explanation, i'm gonna agree with you.

PS I fucking love the echo, I almost had an orgasm just firing the thing(figuratively speaking of course)
oh man, my first time shooting i almost made a mess of myself too. lol. it sounds so fucking awesome.
smefeman
+0|6742
I totally agree with you.  BUT usually when rifles are silenced they use sub sonic speed ammo to minimize this effect....

Maybe not for sniper rifles though....
Ryan
+1,230|6835|Alberta, Canada

who cares, i love the sound!
Navyseal99
Unintentional Good-Guy
+0|6649
yeah, it kind of has the same qualities of Gewher 43

..but it really isn't suppressed, just...how do i put it.....the sound is "sustained" until (not the bullet ripping past the sound barrier) it becomes a low enough tone for us to hear(i think it actually makes sound as soon as it fires, it's just too high-pitched for us to hear)

just my cent and a half

Operator_Stavros
+3|6729
Just to add a little more to the mix to clear up a few more things.

Suppressing/silencing can be done with rifles still firing supersonic ammunition.  Why you might ask?  Well there are 3 parts to the sound of a gunshot.  The mechanism of the weapon cycling while firing, the actual report or muzzle blast, and the supersonic crack (if the projectile goes supersonic).  The only sound lessened is the actual report or muzzle blast of the weapon when suppressed and using supersonic ammo. 

Why supress a weapon if it is still going to make a retardedly loud noise from the supersonic crack you might say?  Well without a muzzle blast it is harder to actually pinpoint the shot visually, and acoustically, since the muzzle blast is a different frequency than the supersonic crack.  If a bullet whizzez by and you hear a supersonic crack it is very hard to locate where that bullet came from.  Hearing a report from a gun is much easier to track directionally.  Also the benefit to suppressing supersonic ammo is lessened felt recoil, and less debris being kicked up from the muzzle blast which can visually give away your position.

By using supersonic ammo instead of subsonic ammo you retain the ballistics of the bullet.  If you slow the bullet down below the speed of sound you lose terminal ballistics and stopping power of the round.  A 7.62mm round loses about half of its effective range and stopping power when it is slowed down below the speed of sound.  The benefit is now there is no supersonic crack, just the barely audible sound of the report, and the cycling of the bolt.  On a bolt action weapon where there is no cycling bolt, until the user does so manually, so there is only a mild report.  If you think I am full of shit still here is one of the many articles on suppressing sniper rifles.

http://www.tacticaloperations.com/swata … index.html

Im not saying that we don't hear the L96 firing on the battlefield, you definitely do, and you would in real life too because of the circumstances I listed above.  However the gun in the game behaves just like a suspersonic suppressed bolt action.  Next time you fire it, try listening closely.  You will notice the initial report from the gun is much much quieter than the M95 or M24, but don't be fooled by the loud echo from the supersonic crack.
Poofy
+0|6665|Pennsylvania
Most video games don't even portray the true sound of a silenced weapon, which sounds very much like a fire cracker depending on the gun. Instead they just use your typical Hollywood silencer effect which is nothing short of an unrealistic "Tphhft" sound. So though I would agree that it DOES sound like a true silenced gun, I find it odd that DICE would actually knowingly pay attention to this detail when considering the other silenced weapons in the game (Spec-op and Sniper pistols) have that fake silencer noise. So either DICE is just inconsistent (Not an impossibility), or, they did a random Google search for a rifle sound effect to put in place for the L96 while not actually knowing anything about the sound.

Those would be my guesses...

Last edited by Poofy (2006-02-22 18:18:22)

DavidianCox
...from the internet
+60|6649|Birmingham
interesting, thanks for that.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6762|AUS, Canberra
anyone who cant here this thing fired by another player should turn their sound settings up.

i can here this thing from across sharqi when fired.
Operator_Stavros
+3|6729

the_heart_attack wrote:

anyone who cant here this thing fired by another player should turn their sound settings up.

Read my initial post and my rebuttle post and then comprehend the two and you will discover that I never said "you won't hear the L95 firing across a map."  In fact I said you will hear across any map because of the reasons I listed above and that you didnt read. So your argument has been nullified because of failure to READ. 

Poofy, you are probably right on the whole choosing a random gun sound for the L96.  You truly seem to know what you are talking about regarding the references to "Hollywood silencers" and the read deal. but itsn't it a stroke of luck that it sounds suppressed (<--subjective opinion), has barely any muzzle flash, and the 3D model matches the real life model of the Suppressed L96, the AWS.

Last edited by Operator_Stavros (2006-02-22 18:27:34)

Sigarms357
Say Hello to My 11-87
+6|6731
COuld be that the gun just comes with a Bull barrell.  I see no silencer. 

IRL, highly unlikely
Sigarms357
Say Hello to My 11-87
+6|6731

Poofy wrote:

Most video games don't even portray the true sound of a silenced weapon, which sounds very much like a fire cracker depending on the gun. Instead they just use your typical Hollywood silencer effect which is nothing short of an unrealistic "Tphhft" sound. So though I would agree that it DOES sound like a true silenced gun, I find it odd that DICE would actually knowingly pay attention to this detail when considering the other silenced weapons in the game (Spec-op and Sniper pistols) have that fake silencer noise. So either DICE is just inconsistent (Not an impossibility), or, they did a random Google search for a rifle sound effect to put in place for the L96 while not actually knowing anything about the sound.

Those would be my guesses...
Actually, if the bullet is sub sonic, they are quieter than a firecracker.  On many guns, the slide cycling is louder.   I got .mpegs to prove it.
P3R3K
+0|6671
Well considering I was getting stalked by 3 l96'ers last night I can attest that you certainly can hear the shot from ~100m
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6762|AUS, Canberra

Operator_Stavros wrote:

the_heart_attack wrote:

Read my initial post and my rebuttle post and then comprehend the two and you will discover that I never said "you won't hear the L95 firing across a map."  In fact I said you will hear across any map because of the reasons I listed above and that you didnt read. So your argument has been nullified because of failure to READ. 

Poofy, you are probably right on the whole choosing a random gun sound for the L96.  You truly seem to know what you are talking about regarding the references to "Hollywood silencers" and the read deal. but itsn't it a stroke of luck that it sounds suppressed (<--subjective opinion), has barely any muzzle flash, and the 3D model matches the real life model of the Suppressed L96, the AWS.
im sorry did i say that YOU said you couldnt here it? im sure i didnt. but if YOU read you will see a post in this thread that is NOT from YOU saying that he cannot here it from right next to someone shooting it.

so stop being a fucking git becuase you think someone diagrees with you.

Last edited by the_heart_attack (2006-02-22 20:27:31)

No_Smoking
all your base are belong to us
+35|6688|Sacramento
thats interesting.
I tested it out with a clanmate, and he said he couldnt see or hear it.
i will have to try it out again though.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard