+0|6650
Hi guys,

My PC is:

P4 2.4ghz 512kb cache
Asus X850XT 256Mb AGP Graphics Card
1Gb DDR Ram
10,000 RPM HD
Asus P4GE Motherboard

I pretty much have to play the game in lowest setting, even after upgrading the gfx card from an old shitty one (GeForce FX 5700LE), it didnt make much difference even though I coughed up £200 for it.  I can turn on shadows and thats about it.  Anything higher and my framerate drops to shit.

I'm thinking it's the motherboard?  It's only AGP 4x.  Could it be this?

Thanks for any input!  I'm pretty frustrated.

Last edited by Gullanian (2006-02-20 17:31:27)

SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6785|Scotland!!!
Moved
General_Anabolic
+0|6778|Washington, USA
Well 2GB of ram really smooths things out. Also the 2.4 pentium is pretty weak.  Ram would help the most though.
Rakasan
+7|6846|California, USA
CPU looks like a bottleneck.  You probably should have upgraded your CPU/mobo when you got a new vid card.
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
+67|6796|Hanging onto the UAV
Agreed. Is it a Celeron or a full-blown P4? And as someone else mentioned, more RAM will do you good.
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6704|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
read his original post, his motherboard is running his gpu @ x4 agp not x8, thats your problem, it could also be your drivers
Gullanian
+0|6650
Does 4x AGP really have a huge difference over 8x?
Gullanian
+0|6650
It's also a  Socket-478 processor, they are the really crap ones aren't they?
Teckademics
+1|6734|Savannah GA
new cpu and mobo.. go amd.
BlueScreen
I am the pwnage! Bitches!
+5|6748|Finland
CPU is your bigest problem and if you want play game with better than avarage ratings you also need 2 GB of RAM. Buy 1 GB more RAm and overlock your CPU to aroun 2.8 GB or something, test how much you can overlock it (my P4 2.4 Ghz is overlocked to 3.12 Ghz with basic cooler but it's pretty much and it's also un-normal to get stable computer with this high overlock with basic cooler). If you overlock your CPU do it carefully (well it's almost impossible to burn CPU if there's no problems with BIOS but it's better to be careful), like around 5 % at the time and check temperature of CPU after that. If computer is stable and temperature is ok  do same again and continue it few times.
{PAMD64}canuk
+0|6735
THat seems odd. My s754 Athlon 64 3000+, Radeon 9600 pro, and 1GB of ram can run the game at medium.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6726|Riva, MD
Don't go over 2GB of RAM, i've heard you won't notice a difference over 2GB.
flyingtoretilas
+4|6650
rofl, well. I am 12.. you might not wanna take the advice from me, but if you get 2gb of Ballistix, you would be very satisfied. Ballistix have a special timing that makes your computer just FLY through video games.  they are worth it for the price

if u cant find any ballistix (i was gonna give u a link but i clouldn't find them) just get ram that is unbuffered, and get a ram with special 1-2-3-6 timing, or what ever.. something like that. you will find it

PS 2 gb is good with any regular ram, but with ballistix.. 2 gb of cosair is like 1 gb of ballistix. choose wisely

Last edited by flyingtoretilas (2006-02-22 05:55:09)

pokerplaya
want to go heads up?
+11|6743|cairns australia
have same sort of setup.another gig of ram is a good idea.the p4 2.4 is one of intels better o/c cpus as advised watch the temp.i run bf2 with aa off settings on low,res 1024\768 refresh 60fps.average 30-40 frames.64 man servers when full lag a bit.otherwise is ok 4 me.  https://x11.putfile.com/2/4402321478-thumb.jpg

sample s\shot.have msi mb not flash but effective

Last edited by pokerplaya (2006-02-22 06:59:39)

=50K=FosterK
+0|6648

flyingtoretilas wrote:

2 gb of cosair is like 1 gb of ballistix.
What are you smoking?

Also, stay away from Ballistix. This kid is raving about them being fantastic, but they're terrible. If they work, they're good, but 1GB wouldn't touch 2GB of any other RAM at PC3200.

There's hundreds of people out there who will agree that Ballistix are dire.

If you're in the market for some new RAM, take a look at what Mushkin offer. Go for the Redline 2GB kit, if you can afford it. If not, GSkill sets are excellent.
Bernadictus
+1,055|6746

Putting a AGPx8 card into a 4x slot will have dramatical effects on your performance, also the processor seems to be a bottleneck.

Be smart, buy an AMD min. 3200+. They work great with BF2!
elite
+89|6723|Sheffield, England
i have a amd 2200+ at 1.8ghz, 1gb ram, 9800xt 256mb radeon and a 60gb maxtor hd, and things run fine
BlackLegion42
Damn Command and Conquer Generals...
+62|6739|Rochester, NY
It is your mobo. 2.4 GHZ P4 should cut the game, but your mobo is just bottlenecking your RAM, GFX and CPU. Get a new mobo and some more ran, so you can save your CPU a bit of torture. I rather tink keep your GFX and CPU for right now if you don't have money to upgrade, as I think they are fine. It is your mobo that is making your gaming experience shitty.
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6737|Australia

AnarkyXtra wrote:

Agreed. Is it a Celeron or a full-blown P4? And as someone else mentioned, more RAM will do you good.
512kb L2 cache = Northwood P4
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6737|Australia

=50K=FosterK wrote:

flyingtoretilas wrote:

2 gb of cosair is like 1 gb of ballistix.
What are you smoking?

Also, stay away from Ballistix. This kid is raving about them being fantastic, but they're terrible. If they work, they're good, but 1GB wouldn't touch 2GB of any other RAM at PC3200.

There's hundreds of people out there who will agree that Ballistix are dire.

If you're in the market for some new RAM, take a look at what Mushkin offer. Go for the Redline 2GB kit, if you can afford it. If not, GSkill sets are excellent.
Yup! ALl overclocker's ram, including Crucial's Ballistix, theyre all good

Best is Samsung TCCD, but bloody expensive, i got ripped off on mine
facingwest
+0|6650
I have a gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 Mobo, Athlon 3500+ (which is basically a 2.4ghz CPU), along with a PNY geForce 6800GS (PC Express x16) 256MB on card and a gig of sync low latency ram. I run everything at high except lighting i think it was and i have no lag or framerate drop.

Personally i think the PCE16 card is whats powering mine. At times it take a little longer then everybody i play with to load a map but once it's loaded i have no problems.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard