tehmoogles
Don't touch the pom-pom!
+7|6749
Ok, to start off, I've nothing against any other nationality or race. BUT, what really ticks me off, is when people who are not from an English speaking country, (Usually Germany or France) feel the need to display in large capital letters in their name, their nationality. What's the bloody point? What does it get done? Do people feel good about themsleves if they have this tag on?

Any good reasons are appreciated.

Also, yesterday somebody warned me for speaking English in a server. I went away (naturally) whilst it loaded and apparently it said in the loading screen only to speak Swiss or Dutch or something. English is a very widely spoken language, it's not as if the guy telling me couldn't understand me. Why?
stef
+-6|6787
just because english i THE international language does not mean people dont want a private time with somebody from their own country. it could also be that they express better in their language and want to have a talk with their fellow citizents.
tehmoogles
Don't touch the pom-pom!
+7|6749
I know this, but I was told off for speaking English at all. I mean, I really don't mind if they want to talk to each other in their mother tongue, but not allowing me to speak mine is a bit annoying.
Fretzli
+10|6681|Switzerland
"BUT, what really ticks me off, is when people who are not from an English speaking country, (Usually Germany or France) feel the need to display in large capital letters in their name, their nationality. What's the bloody point? What does it get done? Do people feel good about themsleves if they have this tag on?"

I hate it as much as you do. Admittedly, I use the tag "Chaes" and this gives away my nationality because of the ch and "Chaes" is the Swiss-German word for cheese, so it's a bit of a pun.

"Also, yesterday somebody warned me for speaking English in a server. I went away (naturally) whilst it loaded and apparently it said in the loading screen only to speak Swiss or Dutch or something. English is a very widely spoken language, it's not as if the guy telling me couldn't understand me. Why?"
That's total nonsense. English should be allowed on every server.

I get annoyed when some of this German-only/French-only speakers start to talk their language on an English server. Come on guys, you don't popularise yourself with this behaviour.
|60|Cobalt
Terror in the Skies
+30|6791|Leipzig/Germany
i often see nation tags from the nederlands (NL), Belgium (BE), Sweden (SWE) and Norway (NOR)
so what? - let people choose whatever name they what - as long as it isn't rascist or something
FlyingBitch
+-1|6703|Wake or The Netherlands!
i have it cuz FlyingBitch was already taken..
i'm not so proud of my country or something -_-'
and i would love to get it out

Last edited by FlyingBitch (2006-02-19 04:00:43)

tehmoogles
Don't touch the pom-pom!
+7|6749
Heh, no problem man. Nice to know a good reason for it.
[THC]_Phoenix
+0|6688|Munich City (Ger)

tehmoogles wrote:

Ok, to start off, I've nothing against any other nationality or race. BUT, what really ticks me off, is when people who are not from an English speaking country, (Usually Germany or France) feel the need to display in large capital letters in their name, their nationality. What's the bloody point? What does it get done? Do people feel good about themsleves if they have this tag on?
Oh honey ... they do it because you can complain about it ... they just want to make you happy otherwise you'd get bored, wouldnt you? :> Or they just want to show, that they are from Germany, France, whatever so players from the same country know it and can join their squad or something like that ...

P.S.: Usually Germany or France? lol ^_^ you forgot the RU's, NL's, UK's, CH's, PL's, NOR's, SWE's, FIN's and I even saw ITA's ...

so long

Last edited by [THC]_Phoenix (2006-02-19 04:17:05)

Patashnik
+0|6686
That is some ignorant shit right there.

First of all they might name themselves [NL] or [GER] or whatever as to find squads made up of people from the same country and thus speak easier to eachother (on servers that are not particular to country).

And the big ignorant beef here: It is EXTREMELY arrogant and rude to assume everyone speaks english fluently or without trouble and get mad when they tell you not to when it's a dutch/swiss server. Respect the rules on that server.
I'm from Sweden and a lot of people, while plenty are good at english, have difficulties speaking it and find it a general hassle. To just waltz in and demand others to speak on your terms is disrespectful.
pogled
+0|6817|Europe
Those nationality tags have something good to them too (I don't have one though). I don't care much about the nationality but it eases the question of which tactical language to pick if you play in squads. I am from Austria and therefore my language is (Austrian-)German - the standard language when playing with my clan mates.
When playing on servers in a foreign country or if I notice a player sporting a UK tag or something different than GER, AUT, CH, ITA (sometimes) then i try to stick with English (even works with most French). Best thing is to ask around what language everybody can agree on (usually English). Sometimes it is even better to speak English with Germans from the north of Germany because it is not allways that easy to understand what they are talking about :-)
   Without the nationality tags sometimes there are a funny misunderstandings. Once - for example - I had been playing with a player from my country for half an hour on a hungarian server. Not realising that we shared the same mothertongue I commanded in English all the time until that guys told me "Konnst eh Deitsch re'n mit mir.." ("You can speak german with me...").
   Sometimes when I play UK servers I try too pick my squad mates by the tags the carry - it is easier to command in your mothertongue (you have a greater vocabulary of tactical terms that are used to describe the action on the battlefield, e.g. for precise spotting). This is on invitation basis only. Never would kick anyone from my squad just because he/she speaks a different language. Have no problem with integrating in all english teams too provided they don't speak some funny dialect.

Swearing is strictly local though (no need to understand what I just bitch about).

EDIT: spelling

Last edited by pogled (2006-02-19 04:44:53)

tehmoogles
Don't touch the pom-pom!
+7|6749
I never demanded them to speak on my terms. They don't have to reply, and as I say, I didn't read the rules as I was away.

Ah, to join squads? Ok, I see.

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't want to be arrogant, but a post like this can't not appear arrogant.
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6777|The Hague, Netherlands

people do what they wanna do, if i wanna put NL behind my name thats my choice, and if i wanna speak dutch in that server thats my choice also, i can also only speak dutch from this point but then nobody can understand the hell what im saying.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard