GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6764

Ok I've done quite a bit of helicopter flying today with some clanmates and we were able to accomplish similar pre battlefield 1.2 scores in Sharqui. It took some time to plan out our lines of attack, and it took A WHOLE F***KING lot of vocal communication and commorose use to stay alive. But that's the way it should've been in the first place. Here's the stats for one of our rounds:
https://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8103/helistats1pc.th.jpghttps://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3051/helistats20rx.th.jpghttps://img45.imageshack.us/img45/8607/helistats33zj.th.jpg
My clanmate is bernoulli75. Don't ask about the clan tag hehe. Anyway, 30 person server, lots of action going on, but with some good coordination we got some good destruction. The key difference this time was that we died 7 times... which would usually be around 2-3 times with 1.12 patch. This is because sometimes you just get damn unlucky or I just sucked at gunning.

Couple of things we learned: First off, you can't just go around flying everywhere taking out people as you please. This was the 1.12 way of flying, and I think it's what the less experienced pilots are complaining about. We quickly realized that certain routes are simply suicide because of the multiple AA sites around us and because of how deadly humvees have become with the mounted gun. We would simply take low, direct paths to where we needed to go, avoiding exposing ourselves to the enemy, and aggressivelly pursuing AA sites constantly. If I took out the AA next to hotel, I wouldn't just forget about it... every 30 seconds lets say we would come back for another look and clear the area a bit. If I spotted any humvees or potental threats, i would point them out immediatelly to take care of them ASAP.

Next, running away is simply not an option anymore. Anytime our health started to decrease rapidly, we had to make a quick decision. First option, figure out where the threat is coming from and position ourselves to get a quick kill and make a repair trip back home. Second option, fly around some building that provides cover and retreat back to the base. Never just turn around and head home. This basically meant that we could no longer continue taking out the 10 people that were huddled in a group, as tempting as it may be with the Mi-28 gun splash damage. We now had to immediatelly switch gears and figure things out. There was no way to work this aspect of the game without vocal communication which gives immediate details and quick thinking on both our parts.

The chopper now has less hit points, which in the end translates to: You get shot down WAY quicker. This is especially true of Humvee mounted guns, which can take you down in 5 seconds or less. Overpowered some people say, but it seems like a reasonable thing when you have a gun with so much splash damage and power. Other pilots I've flown with simply take too long to react to this threat, and we get shot down and bitching immediatelly begins. The real way to manage this is to VERY QUICKLY identify the vehicle, take extreme evasive maneuvers to hide yourself and you simply have to get ready to take it out. If you just try to retreat, odds are they will take you down. Don't be scared to engage the enemy... I know in 1.12 us chopper pilots could stay back from the battle and just TV missle from afar and such, but now we must actively engage our enemies at closer ranges.

We had to engage the enemy chopper a couple times, but battles with them are pretty much the same as in 1.12. Only difference now is that damage is quicker and there's less rockets. With the Mi-28 gun, the cobra really had no chance if it missed TV missle shots. Our biggest threat was actually friendly AA fire which we managed by telling our teammates not to shoot if we were close by. PineappleDouche was the other pilot btw.

Last, it seems that a new threat has become AT rockets which are more maneuverable now. All I can say is, you need to be a good pilot to dodge them, or have a really quick gunner. This also leads me to the point that if you get damaged enough to send you down about halfway... you simply need to go repair. This is not an option, it is simply what I'm telling you you have to go do. You're like a sitting duck up there once you start smoking. Players want to keep their 1.12 habits of being semi invincible, but we need to face the reality that choppers are very vulnerable now.

All in all, we really enjoyed the new strategy we had to employ for the redesigned aerial component of BF2. It was very intense, and very fast paced, since there was constantly an AA tone, M95 Barret rape on the canopy, AT missles everywhere, and damn humvees shooting us like crazy. But hey, if you step your game up, stop blaming accurate AA for your inability to plan ahead good routes, and work as a team with your pilot and your ground troops, you can get some good results out of these choppers any day.

Last edited by GotMex? (2006-02-18 02:19:09)

Teckademics
+1|6727|Savannah GA
is that a penis in his name... LOZL/
d3x74
+14|6648|NY
I am sure those 2 AA sites in Sharqi would have been real hard to deal with.

Lets see you do that on a 64 player Gulf of Oman or Wake Island.
GotMex?
+193|6764

d3x74 wrote:

I am sure those 2 AA sites in Sharqi would have been real hard to deal with.

It's 3 sites on Sharqi, but i'll give you that it's a semi easy map. Gulf of Oman is one of the hardest maps out there even in 1.12 patch. I would get my worst scores on that map as a Hind pilot. I haven't even bothered playing with the new patch, but I can imagine it can be a challenge... but hey, AA still has a short maximum range, and the same techniques would apply there... just gotta find the right paths to take, with maximum AA precautions.

However, I spend most of my time on Wake Island as you will see in my stats, and I can assure you, I can get pre 1.2 scores with the cobra any time. In fact, just because you asked so nicely, I'll get you screen shots of my best rounds tomorrow night, just for you d3x74. I flew lots of Wake today and I'll give you some credit, it really is harder now. But hey, once again, follow my suggestions of staying in control of the AA at all times and you can do very well. Biggest and hardest threat was pilots, but hey, 1.12 had lots of good pilots as well and 1.2 isn't much different in that regard.

I'm really not sure where your hostility towards my comments comes from. I can see from your stats that you're not as highly experienced with the choppers as I am and I'm guessing you probably took one test at with it in 1.2 and didn't like that you were an easy target now. You do have lots of aircraft time, which has also taken a big hit from the new AA, and we all know how much pilots love the new vulnerability they have, so i can see why you would be apprehensive towards the new patch. But hey, give my ideas a try one of these days, you'll be surprised at how manageable AA can be if you have good team work with your pilot and ground crew.

Last edited by GotMex? (2006-02-18 02:47:27)

n00b.Worx
+44|6727|West Berlin!

d3x74 wrote:

´That´s the point.

And hey...do you really think it´s fair that only experienced pilots can sruvive?I don´t think so.

Last edited by n00b.Worx (2006-02-18 02:48:00)

RDMC_old
+0|6737|Almere, Holland
Well m8 try Wake Island for once... million AA turrets and a million planes.. If u can get a smililar score there than I believe you..
GotMex?
+193|6764

n00b.Worx wrote:

d3x74 wrote:

´That´s the point.

And hey...do you really think it´s fair that only experienced pilots can sruvive?I don´t think so.
It's kinda what I'm trying to say, It's not experience that gets you through... but rather skill and teamwork. You can't expect to stay alive if you can't communicate with your pilot and if you fly all over the place. You gotta be careful now, plan out your flight path, look at the minimap, listen to your teammates.

I don't think that "only experienced pilots surviving" would be fair... but I do believe that "only skilled pilots can survive" is fair. Oh and it's not just the pilot, you need a good gunner as well. Pretty much applies to everything in BF2, that is the nature of the game. Better skill = better survival rate.

RDMC wrote:

Well m8 try Wake Island for once... million AA turrets and a million planes.. If u can get a smililar score there than I believe you..
6 AA turrets, 2 enemy planes. Airfield AA site can only take you out if you are at airfield. It doesn't even have visibility towards the beach. AA sites on the sides of the island can't take you out if you are on the other side of the island. (i.e. North Base AA can't shoot plane at South Base). This effectivelly means at MAX, 2 AA sites could be targeting you at any given time. (Unless you decide to fly straight down the middle of the ocean, where more sites can get you, but hey, you shouldnt' do this with the new patch). If you take the time, you can figure out how to fly so that you can take out each AA site without another one targeting you. Really, it's not that hard if you put a little effort and some teamwork... but hey, everyone that has posted so far seems to disagree with putting effort into BF2.

And the planes, get YOUR teammates to man the AA sites, this will keep planes at bay. What's that you say? you don't have any flags yet so your team can't get in AA sites and you want to press forward with the cobra? Well that's my point people, you shouldn't be pressing forward if you don't have any teammates that can support you. Teamwork is really key. And well, in 1.12 a plane could take down a chopper easily, I mean come on things didn't change that much.

Last edited by GotMex? (2006-02-18 03:05:42)

Chao2
+8|6716|UK(stats says usa by mistake)
Heh i agree choppers our much easie to kill, I dont ahve much experience with them and I was always bad with them but the changes our obvious. You cant afford to stay in a location your getting shot at for longa nd the aa warning signal is on all the time.

Still very nice scores
madsmao
+0|6795|Copenhagen, Denmark
Extremely good work GotMex?. You and your mate got it right. Things change so you change your tactics. That's how it should be done

Last edited by madsmao (2006-02-18 03:34:30)

I.M.I Militant
We Are Not Alone In Here
+297|6720|Melbourne, Australia
yes bf2 players can cain anyone if they work as a team... i like the 1.2 patch because teamwork is the only option left   apart from the obvious "WHINE ON THE FORUMS METHOD"  nice post hopefully convince the wigning tards to get a home
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6834
I know two of the clans  that were there... -=4th=-(not my 4th.. that is 4th infantry) and DIE::
Anyhow.. I bet that was pretty hard... I mean with that giant cannon on the MEC chopper and all.
chitlin
Banned
+36|6764
sharqi is the worst example possible.. forget gulf of oman a 64 ghost town is the worst place to be a chopper pilot

5 stingers and 2 aa vehicles all in a small area
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6735|Singapore

chitlin wrote:

sharqi is the worst example possible.. forget gulf of oman a 64 ghost town is the worst place to be a chopper pilot

5 stingers and 2 aa vehicles all in a small area
I second that. Ghost town is really a place for ground pounding, not for choppers:P But i thought there were oilrigs around there? lol
sleepy127
+4|6739
Good job, I scored over 75 as a MEC gunner on operation clean sweep last night.  We got hit by a few aa shots but our biggest threat was still the other helo. We have an old saying in the military; adapt and overcome. Get better and you will have no problems. Sharqi wasn't any harder BTW.

Last edited by sleepy127 (2006-02-18 04:51:35)

||BFA||xZeler8
Expendable Miracle Worker
+1|6782
i think they need to jack the helos back up to what they were 1.12 if they are going to keep the aa at 1.2...with the maps laid out the way they are it's almost to the point of ridiculous...i agree that if you have voice comms with a clanmate then good scores are attainable, but that's assuming that you and your buddy have been flying together in choppers for a while...good example, myself and a clanmate of mine, we've flown together so much that he knows pretty much exactly what maneuver i'm going to make in any given situation, and sometimes the aa upgrade can still be extremely difficult...people talk in other threads about even playing fields, well, the new aa and two people on a team trying to fly together that never have are definately not on the same playing field as the brand new guy that's anhialating them in the stinger...
warco3
+1|6730|Orlando, FL
GotMex, you hit the nail right on the head. n00b.Worx, you say it's not fair for only the experienced pilots. Hold on, bro. Isn't the main reason all of you are bitching about the patch is because they made it easier for noobs? So which is it? Make up your mind.

A noob tank driver doesn't last long, neither does a noob chopper pilot. Noobs don't last long PERIOD. So why do noob PILOTS have to have it easy? WTF kind of logic is that? Yes lets make it easy so you can just bomb the enemy airfield, fly back to reload, and repeat with no effort. Great, thats awesome. But no thanks. Now noobs don't last long in the air at all, which will force people to learn new tactics if they want to survive. That's the way it should be. And as it's been clearly shown, you can still own. It just takes more effort as it SHOULD have been. Now I don't get bothered at all when a noob takes off in a jet or chopper because I know they'll be dead in less than a minute. So please stop making excuses and just admit you're lazy and don't want to adapt. The sooner you admit it, the better off you'll be, because it's only a matter of time before EA requires ALL servers to patch. Have a nice day.
n00b.Worx
+44|6727|West Berlin!

warco3 wrote:

GotMex, you hit the nail right on the head. n00b.Worx, you say it's not fair for only the experienced pilots. Hold on, bro. Isn't the main reason all of you are bitching about the patch is because they made it easier for noobs? So which is it? Make up your mind.

A noob tank driver doesn't last long, neither does a noob chopper pilot. Noobs don't last long PERIOD. So why do noob PILOTS have to have it easy? WTF kind of logic is that? Yes lets make it easy so you can just bomb the enemy airfield, fly back to reload, and repeat with no effort. Great, thats awesome. But no thanks. Now noobs don't last long in the air at all, which will force people to learn new tactics if they want to survive. That's the way it should be. And as it's been clearly shown, you can still own. It just takes more effort as it SHOULD have been. Now I don't get bothered at all when a noob takes off in a jet or chopper because I know they'll be dead in less than a minute. So please stop making excuses and just admit you're lazy and don't want to adapt. The sooner you admit it, the better off you'll be, because it's only a matter of time before EA requires ALL servers to patch. Have a nice day.
lol do you really think that not experienced = n00b?

warco3
+1|6730|Orlando, FL
"lol do you really think that not experienced = n00b?"

Is there really that much of a difference? Either way they don't know what they're doing. I just used the term noob since its easier than typing "inexperienced player". So no matter what, they have to learn that kills and a high score aren't handed to you on a silver platter. You have to work for it and learn the ways. Simple as that.

And for the noob AA people geting kills easy, well they're simpling killing other noobs that are dumb enough to fly. Or people that ignore the AA down below. It happens. Which is why it makes sense because pre patch you could have every type of AA on you AND a jet and you could STILL evade the missles. Ridiculous!

P.S. You even say it on your sig. "Players that have skill, ..." Then you turn around and say its unfair for the inexperienced pilots. Seriously man, make up your mind. It still requires skill, just more so now.

Last edited by warco3 (2006-02-18 05:34:47)

SirRevan
+0|6645
so now you HAVE TO HAVE a great pilot and a great gunner who've flown together for 234823 years IF you plan to survive...

and now u HAVE TO HAVE a mike because without mikes BF2 has become 100% "unsurvivable"...

nice scores n all man, and great teamwork n all, but im not OK with lowering heli and plane HP, though i do think AA's needed upgrading...

however, those AA missile's are now following you everywhere... u could turn like mad tight but its nearly impossible to lose them... this is too unrealistic... if i piloted on a mouse and keyboard, an AA missile threat would be certain death... which isnt right... i have to be able to outmanuver a missile regardless of my hardware and it just hasnt been possible with all those 90 degree turns missiles now perform...
Ghost33
+0|6644|Melbourne Fl.

||BFA||xZeler8 wrote:

people talk in other threads about even playing fields, well, the new aa and two people on a team trying to fly together that never have are definately not on the same playing field as the brand new guy that's anhialating them in the stinger...
Ask any experienced pilot, chopper or fixed wing, if he thinks a stinger is a threat.  new guy or not, an Anti-aircraft weapon, one that has been designed to kill aircraft wont care if a new guy or an experienced player pulls the trigger it will still do its job, to hunt down and destroy aircraft.  Pilots should be fearful if they wish to survive in real life or a game, they definitely are not invincible.  I love flying choppers but I have always been fearfull of stingers, I know they can kill me so they become my first target.  As was said before, adapt and overcome. Play it safe and smart and survive in the field.

SirRevan wrote:

so now you HAVE TO HAVE a great pilot and a great gunner who've flown together for 234823 years IF you plan to survive...

and now u HAVE TO HAVE a mike because without mikes BF2 has become 100% "unsurvivable"...

nice scores n all man, and great teamwork n all, but im not OK with lowering heli and plane HP, though i do think AA's needed upgrading...

however, those AA missile's are now following you everywhere... u could turn like mad tight but its nearly impossible to lose them... this is too unrealistic... if i piloted on a mouse and keyboard, an AA missile threat would be certain death... which isnt right... i have to be able to outmanuver a missile regardless of my hardware and it just hasnt been possible with all those 90 degree turns missiles now perform...
With a game everything has its counter, think rock paper sissors.  Your flimsy aircraft, paper, (they are dellicate you know) can destroy infantry, rock, but you complain that the AA, sissors, kills you. well get your rocks, infantry, to kill their sissors, AA, and you can get back to destroying their rocks, infantry, with your paper, aircraft.

Last edited by Ghost33 (2006-02-18 05:55:25)

warco3
+1|6730|Orlando, FL
Ungh and another thing. I'm tired of everyone saying the new missles hit you 99.9% of the time. BULLSHIT. Just last night I launched THREE missles at a jet and he didnt use flares. Guess what? THEY MISSED! THATS RIGHT. THEY MISSED. Matter of fact, I've lost count how many times the new UBER missles as you call them have missed. Even against a jet flying in a STRAIGHT LINE. So spare me the whining.
Gulf_War_Syndrome
OMG ERYX HAX!
+62|6680|Adelaide, Australia
I finally got to have a good fly in the attack helicopters tonight, both flying and gunning on Operation Cleansweep, Dragon Valley and Kubra Dam.

We got hit by plenty of missiles, usually from jets, but only got killed by AA once - a well concealed linebacker on Dragon Valley. The FAV's are far more of a thread as far as I can tell, but that was the case pre-patch as well.

Yes I was flying with experienced friends, and we use a lot of communication. Yes we did a lot of evasive manouvers and repairing. Yes, we finished first and second on the table at the end of the game, both with decent scores, and similar kill:death ratios GotMex has shown above.

The fact is, nothing has really changed significantly with this patch.
Pre-patch, I wouldn't bother getting back into a chopper with someone I couldn't talk to or who obviously couldn't fly/gun properly. Using the chopper effectively has always required good teamwork and communication.

Pre-patch, you'd need to know the locations of the AA, and continually blast anything that goes near them until  they learn to keep out of them! With the patch, the principle is the same, but with a little bit more added pressure. Personally, I find that pressure increases my enjoyment in the choppers - there's a genuine feeling of relief with each manned AA emplacement destroyed.

Pre-patch, a chopper's worst enemy was a vehicle's .50cal. They are worse now, almost at the point of frustration, but again I think it adds to the pressure, and forces you to become a better (read: less careless) pilot.

I'm glad to read other chopper pilots are having the same experience!

Last edited by Gulf_War_Syndrome (2006-02-18 08:02:48)

Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6698|Germany

warco3 wrote:

Ungh and another thing. I'm tired of everyone saying the new missles hit you 99.9% of the time. BULLSHIT. Just last night I launched THREE missles at a jet and he didnt use flares. Guess what? THEY MISSED! THATS RIGHT. THEY MISSED. Matter of fact, I've lost count how many times the new UBER missles as you call them have missed. Even against a jet flying in a STRAIGHT LINE. So spare me the whining.
Word!

The new AA is just fine as it is now,the wannabe pilots who get shot down all the time just can't fly.
Sure,getting this right into your face that you can't fly jets although you rocked the map in 1.12 is quite a bit harsh for these whiny aerial-baseraper,but (un)fortunately it's a fact.
_mag00n_
+2|6663
Your screens dont impress me much

64 player wake.....  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/ … patch2.jpg

Ghost Town......   http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/ … /patch.jpg
Navyseal99
Unintentional Good-Guy
+0|6658
i think the whole point of nerfing the choppers is because complete n00b would get in and just blow everyone away (150+ score each round), i think gotmex? is right, you need more skill to fly a chopper, just like everything else now, i like EA's strategy towards this game (tough sh!t to anyone who has no skwil to pway anymwore[googoo!]), but all i think EA did was just turn the favor to the wimpy things that were always getting beat up on, EA didn't unbalance it, just turned the favor to a different party....   (<--- Let the flaming begin)

Last edited by Navyseal99 (2006-02-18 09:35:59)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard