Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
Somebody needs to right a code of conduct for this forum. E.g. no racism, excessive flaming or swearing?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
xX[Elangbam]Xx
+107|6690
i support this idea
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6636
you gotta have a lil swearing
xX[Elangbam]Xx
+107|6690
but no racism
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6686|San Francisco
Sounds like a plan.  Might go about writing a Code of Conduct sticky...I'll bring it up with Jeff.
[LCI]squeakyfleece
O-<--< stick man lolololol
+27|6650|perv
ur stil allowed to swear

but down on racism
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709
lets make a list of do not do or ur banned list:

rascist posts
exssecive flaming
no sexist posts
no saying ur country sux
etc etc.

sticky!
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6636
whats the point of typing WTF when your saying the words in your head, which defeats the whole purpose of saying WTF in the first place
Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6723|Uhh... erm...
Swearing in moderation is fine.

No rasicm.

No excessive flaming (including flaming countries).
Fuzzball_the_Shooter
The Photographer.
+81|6697|Central Valley,California

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

lets make a list of do not do or ur banned list:

rascist posts
exssecive flaming
no sexist posts
no saying ur country sux
etc etc.

sticky!
This man is right! Execpt language, little bit is ok, No?
BerryBlastKoolAid
+0|6668
very good idea - at least the threads won't turn into another racist/ur country sux flame war
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
How about this for a start:

DEBATE AND SERIOUS TALK CODE OF CONDUCT

Version 0.1

1. Racism and sexism of ANY type is unacceptable. ANY derogatory comments on the basis of race, country, religion etc. is to be reported and deleted

2. Direct and personal attacks on another member due to opinion is UNACCEPTABLE (flaming). If you think someone is wrong, say WHY and BACK UP WITH SOURCES!

3. This forum is for DEBATE and SERIOUS TALK. Anything does not fall into this category can be reported to admins. (needs work)

4. Any provocative posts (e.g. we should bomb <insert country here>) are to be reported and deleted.

5. Swearing is OK in moderate levels. It's ok to use to make a point, but not OK to insult someone.

Last edited by Spark (2006-02-18 01:24:18)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6686|San Francisco
Thanks Spark.  I'll be taking everything here and writing it all out today.  Expect a sticky in a few hours.
Berserk_Vampire
Banned
+7|6680
The forums would be dead with out these wonderful things.
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

Berserk_Vampire wrote:

Or, alternatively, idiots like you would get the boot.
~ Richard Feynman
Bf2specialforces
+1|6639

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

AGREED
bob_6012
Resident M-14 fanatic
+59|6648|Lancaster Ohio, USA

Spark wrote:

Berserk_Vampire wrote:

Or, alternatively, idiots like you would get the boot.
Exactly...these rules would directly affect Vampire there...someone who flames almost all the time...but I like the rules...although I'm a little guilty of breaking them...but I'm working on that...hope they go through...
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

Bf2specialforces wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

AGREED
I did allow for a little swearing but not

"F*** you, you f***ing piece of s***, you don't know s*** about it so shut the f*** up"

Last edited by Spark (2006-02-18 17:14:22)

~ Richard Feynman
Berserk_Vampire
Banned
+7|6680
Nothing i say is a flame its all truth and goes toward the country and every person there so its not single people we need people like me to fight the American Bastardization and stick up for good countries cant handle it dont post on the forums <3
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

Berserk_Vampire wrote:

Nothing i say is a flame its all truth and goes toward the country and every person there so its not single people we need people like me to fight the American Bastardization and stick up for good countries cant handle it dont post on the forums <3
Numerous violations of points 1 and 3?
~ Richard Feynman
bob_6012
Resident M-14 fanatic
+59|6648|Lancaster Ohio, USA

Spark wrote:

Berserk_Vampire wrote:

Numerous violations of points 1 and 3?
Right on Spark...I guess the rules don't matter to him since he's doing the "right" thing...
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6840|San Francisco

I agree with a majority of the statements made so far, however I see there being a few problems in regards to regulation of these issues.

Up to this point anyone who has been banned has been treated on an individual basis, allowing Chuy and myself the liberty of treating these cases with the individuality that they deserve. Setting a guide of black and white regulations is incredibly difficult if not impossible since people simply do not operate in black and white. Every case of abuse or pronounced flaming or ignorance is entirely different and as such will not ever fall under a short set of very specific rules. Ultimately the decision to ban a user is made after taking into account the users actions in question. This allows an incredible range of freedom and flexibility when dealing with people who will constantly find ways to piss people off in new and original means.

On the other hand we might end up with tons of rules resembling so much legal jargon that ends up being incredibly vague in order to cover any conceivable bases that might arise in the future. I don't see this as being much different than the current system since most of the rules would be vague enough to be interpreted in any way that suits our cause. The only difference would be that then users would have the ability to interpret these rules in any way they see fit and ultimately attempt to argue with us about why they were removed from the forums (or whatever.)

In other words, any sort of regulatory guidelines set out will either be too limited to do any good or be too vague to be helpful for users.

Additionally problems arise with intent versus interpretation. Most flame wars actually arise from this exact problem. People, in general, are so egocentric that they cannot possibly comprehend that the way they read a post might not be the same way that the author intended the post to read. Specifically people tend to have trouble differentiating sarcasm from seriousness when it comes to reading text online. I can't force people to be more tolerant and open minded when reading posts on the forums, and I highly doubt that a set of rules or guidelines will be able to do it either.

This all being said, I think a very nice set of suggested forum etiquitte might be a good thing to have around to link people to, even if most people just ignore it.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6688|NJ
You should be able to give the person who starts the post control over the comments so they can delete flaming and other things that might not be part of the topic. Also I'm on this site all the time and I don't see too much flaming, I mostly see alot of gramer correction which is stupid on a multinational board.
twood375
+16|6641|Washington, D.C.
Fuck Censorship
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

tF-voodoochild wrote:

I agree with a majority of the statements made so far, however I see there being a few problems in regards to regulation of these issues.

Up to this point anyone who has been banned has been treated on an individual basis, allowing Chuy and myself the liberty of treating these cases with the individuality that they deserve. Setting a guide of black and white regulations is incredibly difficult if not impossible since people simply do not operate in black and white. Every case of abuse or pronounced flaming or ignorance is entirely different and as such will not ever fall under a short set of very specific rules. Ultimately the decision to ban a user is made after taking into account the users actions in question. This allows an incredible range of freedom and flexibility when dealing with people who will constantly find ways to piss people off in new and original means.

On the other hand we might end up with tons of rules resembling so much legal jargon that ends up being incredibly vague in order to cover any conceivable bases that might arise in the future. I don't see this as being much different than the current system since most of the rules would be vague enough to be interpreted in any way that suits our cause. The only difference would be that then users would have the ability to interpret these rules in any way they see fit and ultimately attempt to argue with us about why they were removed from the forums (or whatever.)

In other words, any sort of regulatory guidelines set out will either be too limited to do any good or be too vague to be helpful for users.

Additionally problems arise with intent versus interpretation. Most flame wars actually arise from this exact problem. People, in general, are so egocentric that they cannot possibly comprehend that the way they read a post might not be the same way that the author intended the post to read. Specifically people tend to have trouble differentiating sarcasm from seriousness when it comes to reading text online. I can't force people to be more tolerant and open minded when reading posts on the forums, and I highly doubt that a set of rules or guidelines will be able to do it either.

This all being said, I think a very nice set of suggested forum etiquitte might be a good thing to have around to link people to, even if most people just ignore it.
Yeah, I suppose so. Just a few guidelines. But somethings like racism and sexism, in my view, is intolerable. Also, there has to be some guidelines on flaming and spam doesn't belong in any forum, especially not this one.

So:

Version 0.2

1. Same as before. Racism and sexism is to be reported.

2. Flaming should be restricted. As one member said very nicely in their signature: Think, Write, Think again, Post. Just try to keep it to a minimum.

3. Spam is to be reported. Random comments have no place here

4. Swearing I think should be the same as before (e.g. not excessive or attacking)

5. Provocative posts/topics that clearly are designed to instigate flaming should get the boot.

Last edited by Spark (2006-02-18 17:34:16)

~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard