Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5175|Sydney
Recently when I've been playing BF3 on medium video settings the game has crashed, the screen goes black and I have to hard restart my PC.

Card is a 5770. What happens is the game freezes, the sound glitches and replays the same sound over a split second so it sounds stutters and then the screen goes black. I can hear the fan on the card quite loudly and it won't slow down after the screen goes black. If I just normally exit the game any other time the card gradually winds down and all is normal.

Any ideas on what I can do to check if it is the card, or something else? And if it is the card does this mean it is on the way out?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6497|so randum
oh i had that. was realtek being shit (nbs)

the whole sound looping and way out of sync etc, followed by a blackscreen
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney
Yeah but I'm using an external sound card. Or does that not matter?
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6706|England. Stoke

Jaekus wrote:

Yeah but I'm using an external sound card. Or does that not matter?
Just disable the onboard, to make sure.
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney
How do I do that? I may have done it already but if you know how I can double check.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6688|Devon, England
Device Manager
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney
AMD high definition audio device?
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6688|Devon, England
Sure, why not?
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney
lol
jsnipy
+3,276|6519|...

that should not your on board sound ... that's usually the driver for when you want to connect using HDMI and you want sound on the output as well the video. Any others?
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney
Nah, just that, my soundcard and my MBOX.
jsnipy
+3,276|6519|...

Do you even need sound, really?
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney
It's not the sound, although teds said it could be.

If you read the OP I already stated that the sound stutters, screen goes black and I have to hard restart my PC because there is nothing on the screen.
jsnipy
+3,276|6519|...

Sorry I just read again. Does it do that form the start or mid game?
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney
It's fairly random, but only happens after extended playing. It happened twice tonight, and once yesterday, hence this thread. It might have done it once the entire time I've owned the game (since January).

I've turned down the video settings and it hasn't done it since, but I was playing on medium with no problems for months. The card was bought around April 2010. Is there any way to do some sort of test on the card to see if there's a fault?
jsnipy
+3,276|6519|...

always changing, im sure there are some stress tests out there. Run a memtest on your box recently?
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney
Not that I can recall. I'm not sure I even know how to do it... *consults google*
jsnipy
+3,276|6519|...

Jaekus wrote:

Not that I can recall. I'm not sure I even know how to do it... *consults google*
http://www.memtest.org/

you make a bootable disk or usb keep and it runs tests against memory
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney
Ok, so memtest returned no errors, passed perfectly fine. But my video card fan was running at full speed the entire time and afterwards (after pressing esc, then changing the boot priority in the BIOS and loading windows) it still ran at full speed, even after loading up the desktop.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

my brother's 5770 does the same thing.  He said after he cleaned inside and sprayed canned air on the vid card fans he noticed: the fan doesn't sound like a jet engine; the vid card was running much cooler; he stopped getting black screen/no dvi input.  I think your video card is running too hot.  Do you use any type of temp monitor?  Someone here recommended HWMonitor to me, and I've had no problems with it.  Might make sense to periodically check your temps to see if it's overheating.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5962|London, England

download riva tuner and change the speeds
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

my brother's 5770 does the same thing.  He said after he cleaned inside and sprayed canned air on the vid card fans he noticed: the fan doesn't sound like a jet engine; the vid card was running much cooler; he stopped getting black screen/no dvi input.  I think your video card is running too hot.  Do you use any type of temp monitor?  Someone here recommended HWMonitor to me, and I've had no problems with it.  Might make sense to periodically check your temps to see if it's overheating.
So I should clean it out then? My room does get pretty dusty and I haven't ever taken it apart to clean it. Never done it and I didn't want to void the warranty.

Last edited by Jaekus (2012-10-01 18:41:18)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

you shouldn't even have to take it out of the case.  Just open the case and blast your card with some dust off.
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney
Just watched this video though, maybe I should try this? It's even the same model (XFX)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

meh, that card is under $100 now.  If you really wanted to you could just RMA it (pretty sure the XFX comes with a double lifetime warranty) and get a new one. I don't see the need to take it apart to fix it, but it could improve your problems

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard