unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

FatherTed wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If it has a campaign I might actually play it for more than three hours.
no, not planned either. they're going for a community warfare setup re; the clan invasion, should be out at some point this summer.
Sucks because there's a lot of story to the battletech universe. It'd be like buying (or just downloading, in f2p's case) a Warhammer 40k game wtihout a campaign; just soulless multiplayer.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If it has a campaign I might actually play it for more than three hours.
no, not planned either. they're going for a community warfare setup re; the clan invasion, should be out at some point this summer.
Sucks because there's a lot of story to the battletech universe. It'd be like buying (or just downloading, in f2p's case) a Warhammer 40k game wtihout a campaign; just soulless multiplayer.
I remember enjoying the campaign in the original mechwarrior a lot.

Just have to accept that game designers just don't want to put that kind of effort in anymore. Multiplayer sells.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

Jay wrote:

The video above looks kind of goofy. It looks like they're playing manhunt with flashlights. Needs screen vibration or something.
that one's shot a bit weird, there is shake and impulse and all of that. i'll attempt to find a better vid, i have all the pretty stuff turned off on mine so not much point frapsing

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

arguably the biggest of which being the clan invasion, which oddly enough is happening this summer...(mwo matches btech timeline 1:1)

they've mentioned when asked that PVE is something they won't do unless they get an awful amount of free time/cash. MWO was originallly floated to publishers as a PVE and didn't get any attention, so they just shifted all the assets over to a PVP game. same devs and stuff, so it's not that they *don't* want to make a SP, it's more that then and now they can't.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Maybe companies could stop trying to compete with WoW and just make good games.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6545|London
I've put this game on hold until clan invasion comes.

Bored of soloing enemy teams in my hunchback
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Jay wrote:

The video above looks kind of goofy. It looks like they're playing manhunt with flashlights. Needs screen vibration or something.
screen vibration is stuff that just gets auto-turned off anyway. like that stupid suppress effect in bf3. omgs the realism. no. disabled.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

wat

it isn't an MMO...at all
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

screen vibration is stuff that just gets auto-turned off anyway. like that stupid suppress effect in bf3. omgs the realism. no. disabled.
cc

anything remotely HDRish is turned off by most people. it looks pretty, but it's fucking annoying to play with
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

Aries_37 wrote:

I've put this game on hold until clan invasion comes.

Bored of soloing enemy teams in my hunchback
utterly love driving hunchbacks, they were the first i totally mastered all the variants for - had the 4G as my founders mechs. now it's a tossup between catapults/hunchbacks and stalkers for what i drop in
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

FatherTed wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

wat

it isn't an MMO...at all
I know, but it feels the part. Only more arena-y and without any story. For some reason, all the f2p shooters and f2p mmo's seem to go hand in hand for me. TF2 doesn't count since it wasn't originally free.

I hope they'll change their minds about a campaign if this is successful.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

wat

it isn't an MMO...at all
I know, but it feels the part. Only more arena-y and without any story. For some reason, all the f2p shooters and f2p mmo's seem to go hand in hand for me. TF2 doesn't count since it wasn't originally free.

I hope they'll change their minds about a campaign if this is successful.
but it does have a story one of it's main usp's is that it's following the btech storyline day by day, and it'll take the game through the impact of the clan invasion.

and yes, everyone wants a campaign (:
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Yes but that isn't very fucking deep. You can have any story you want and have it mean nothing if you're going to restrict the game to multiplayer arena combat. While there's nothing wrong with that (even UT has a backstory), it just seems a lackluster use of the franchise when we've gone so long without a good singleplayer btech game.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
fair enough i guess
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

799 hours in Battlefield 2 - didn't need story. it was Battlefield 2.
797 hours in Space Marine (oh good lord, I've played that much?) - maybe 8 of which were campaign. granted, it's such a minor part of the game considering all the multiplayer I've been doing on it, but it was still nice to have, considering the story already behind 40k, and I still remember a lot of it.

But when a game from a somewhat story-rich universe just throws arena fights at you without any preamble, it feels like buying a box with a missing disc.
rdx-fx
+955|6561
Meh.  It's in Beta.

Nail the MechLab and Mech combat down, then worry about adding in Solaris, Mercenaries, or Succession Wars content.

Even if the content (Solaris, Mercenaries, or Succession Wars) was just browser based (like the MechLab), and an excuse to link arena fights together, that'd still mirror the original pen & paper game pretty well.

Wouldn't be terribly difficult to crack open an old copy of the pen & paper Mercenaries game book and code the unit/money/contract system into their browser frontend. as an example.

With all the source books from FASA, there is an insane amount of backstory. Especially the (very old) House series of books - House Davion, House Kurita etc.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
just to update, community warfare aka clan invasion just released, and it's very very fucking fun
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
link?
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6679|England. Stoke
I have no clue what I'm doing. XD
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Adams_BJ
Lets play!
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
i'm superteds ingame btw, add me. probably well out of your tz tho adums
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

I'll try it out ... jsnipy in game
Adams_BJ
I have no idea what I'm doing but it's fun
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6679|England. Stoke
Ugh and still I can't believe the match making on this game, 90% of games end up in one team absolutely steam rolling the other. And I seem to be on the receiving end most of the time. Even when I'm not it's not that fun 'cus the other team is slaughtered and unless you're in the right place at the right time you see little of the action.
It's a good game but this issue really needs sorting.

Also the  LRM's seem to batter the shit out of me and it gets a little tiresome being killed by something you can't even see, and you're behind cover.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
it mm's by elo, but it does produce some odd results sometimes. that said;

generally if you lose 1 or 2 mechs at the start, you will lose entirelly. this is because a)you team has less overall robots to get shot at, so everyone takes more damage on avg, and b) your team has lost dps

now at the very start this is bad, because you'll be playing with...not good people and they're unlikely to help you get back to a 2-2 or 1-1 or whatever. try encouraging people to stick together and focus fire via text

wrt to LRMs you can take AMS - each AMS system will kill an avg of 5 missiles from a volley, so a single one will protect you from an LRM5, and halve an LRM10. Unfortunately IS LRMs are very heavy so mechs tend to boat them - your team needs to be all carrying AMS to get any solid protection and this rarely happens. Take cover, make sure you aren't being TAG'd or NARC'd and keep moving between cover. bear in mind your mech is also higher and wider than your viewpoint - you could be exposing an arm or shoulder or something

When you start out maybe stick to Conquest mode, the maps tend to result in people spreading out a bit, so you should stay alive a bit longer than walking into 12 mechs all focusing you down
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard