Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5175|Sydney
Yeah, because it requires too much effort.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Jaekus wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

yeah that's common knowledge.  You also lose the juices if you cut meat before letting it rest.  You shouldn't need a michelin-starred chef to tell you that.
Did you just read half a dozen words out of so many posts and run with it? That's unlike you to be so obtuse.
i responded to cybargs point about losing the juice.  I guess I should have quoted it?

Anyway, you can talk to 10 different chefs and they'll tell you 10 different ways to make the best steak.  Saying one way is better than the other is being obtuse.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Saying one way is better than the other is being obtuse.
Not unless you use the magic of science!
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

yeah that's common knowledge.  You also lose the juices if you cut meat before letting it rest.  You shouldn't need a michelin-starred chef to tell you that.
Did you just read half a dozen words out of so many posts and run with it? That's unlike you to be so obtuse.
i responded to cybargs point about losing the juice.  I guess I should have quoted it?

Anyway, you can talk to 10 different chefs and they'll tell you 10 different ways to make the best steak.  Saying one way is better than the other is being obtuse.
I didn't see the post Cybargs had made till after I had posted. I had earlier mentioned it and thought you were talking to me.

I've tried about five different ways to cook a steak. Heston's is easily the best.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

unless you're on a raw diet you're using the magic of science every time you cook.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6678|Disaster Free Zone

Jaekus wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

I didn't see the post Cybargs had made till after I had posted. I had earlier mentioned it and thought you were talking to me.

I've tried about five different ways to cook a steak. Heston's is easily the best.
50C oven for 24 hours?
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney
Not that one, that will be #6
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

unless you're on a raw diet you're using the magic of science every time you cook.
You should look more into Heston and why his methods are more "proven" than others.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England
The science behind cooking meat:

You sear a steak for flavor, otherwise known as browning or the mallard reaction. It doesn't force the steak to retain juices, in fact it does the opposite. It's purely a texture and taste thing.

You rest the meat because during the cokking process all the internal fluid rushes to the surface because the internal pressure has risen (think inflated balloon). Resting allows the fluids to return to the center and this equilibrium process also conducts heat from the outside to the middle, raising the internal temp by up to 10F (6C). Knowing this allows you to not overcook a steak by raising the gage temp too high.

The reason you bring any food to room temp before cooking is because cold food will drop the temp of the pan and the meat will take longer to reach the target internal temp, a double whammy.

The one side vs 15 second flip is purely a matter of taste and has almost no impact on the juiciness of the steak. That is about desired char level. The guy in the video wants minimal char.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Cybargs wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

You should look more into Heston and why his methods are more "proven" than others.
I will. I'm pretty caught up on the whole science approach to cooking. Not to say I understand it all, but I'm familiar with el bulli and chefs adria and andres,a few of the american guys like wiley defresne, and the modernist cuisine. The fact still remains for this particular case, it really comes down to personal preference. There's nothing this guy needs to prove regarding his taste in steak- and using the "he has a scientific approach to cooking" argument in this case makes you guys sound like idiots.  If you want to see truly scientific approaches to cooking, look at chef adrias work and/or the modernist cuisine- they don't just explain the science behind cooking processes; they deconstruct and apply different techniques to get better results.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Once you get the scientific basics down, it's really difficult to fuck up food. Things like why you sear meat, or why you let it rest, or how an emulsion works, or how different flavors interact with taste receptors, get those down and you can start to experiment and be creative.

I always enjoy reading or watching people who think outside of the box in order to achieve unique results like what Adria has done. Those people are really rare though. Most people just toss a recipe together with minimal thought.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

If you want to see truly scientific approaches to cooking, look at chef adrias work and/or the modernist cuisine- they don't just explain the science behind cooking processes; they deconstruct and apply different techniques to get better results.
Umm, like this?

One of many examples.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
That's a neat video
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
However, it's mostly using science as a gimmick...
-Frederick Bastiat
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6309

56 minutes, 50 seconds ago
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
RIP bf2s <3
-Frederick Bastiat
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6620|Little Bentcock
RIP in piece
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

And I just cut back on red meat.

Fuck you and your delicious steak videos.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6620|Little Bentcock
Why would you cut back on such a fine meal
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney
Health reasons. Red meat has saturated fat whereas white meat like chicken breast does not, or in such minimal amounts as to be negligible.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

fuck these chips are so good
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6309

I'd take chicken over a steak any day.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

I'd take sashimi/nigiri over chicken or steak any day. Also shellfish. One of the bahamas key ingredients is conch. They prepare what they call conch salad but its more like a ceviche. It was pretty darn good
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

I'd take sashimi/nigiri over chicken or steak any day. Also shellfish. One of the bahamas key ingredients is conch. They prepare what they call conch salad but its more like a ceviche. It was pretty darn good
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I'd take sashimi/nigiri over chicken or steak any day.
That shit ain't cheap lol. Hell I'd take it over steak or chicken too but I don't have the monies.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard