Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

Ilocano wrote:

Jay wrote:

The only people that actually enjoyed high school were the people that peaked there imo
No.
Would you go through it again if given the opportunity? I didn't specify, but that was the criteria I had in mind. I had fun in high school, had friends, played sports etc but you couldn't pay me enough money to go through the whole thing again. Same can't be said for college.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Jay wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Jay wrote:

The only people that actually enjoyed high school were the people that peaked there imo
No.
Would you go through it again if given the opportunity? I didn't specify, but that was the criteria I had in mind. I had fun in high school, had friends, played sports etc but you couldn't pay me enough money to go through the whole thing again. Same can't be said for college.
If I could keep what I know now, I would just for a different experience. The "do it all over" proposition sort of loses its appeal when loss-of-knowledge is brought into the mix.

Also, would the universe consider investing in now-successful companies and betting on winning teams cheating?

Also...I could install BF1942 on release and play with leet skillz.
Roc18
`
+655|5789|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

m3thod wrote:

i find it odd doing an mba with zero postgraduate experience.  the average age is 28 for a full time course.
I have internships under my belt and Interviewing with a bunch of places in October.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252

Ilocano wrote:

aynrandroolz wrote:

lol finance degree. you could get one of those with a mental retardation, let alone a loser 4chan habit.
I'd like to see you approach your Uni Director of Finance and say those same words to his face.
my uni director of finance is a business-minded idiot, who caused a nationwide outrage and protest at his 'financially savvy' decisions (e.g. to close one of the top departments in the country/world, because it was small and not 'profit-making', despite being about as prestigious as any academic department can possibly be). a union of cambridge dons and public figures like stephen fry spoke out in public and in our national press about the gross ineptitude on display. he wanted to close a classics department that had about 5 salaried professors and a very small, super-selective intake... and expand the business school with the freed-up capital, roping in more nouveau riche asian foreign students, paying £30k a year. basically selling off my institutions' academic capital and prestige to make more short-term tuition money. because it makes 'business sense', right?

so yes, our 'director of finance' is a fucking mong. most people have told him so. the current business/entrepreneurial 'management' class that have taken over uk higher-education in the last decade are basically stripping the assets and converting it into a free-market feeding frenzy. they are a blight on our education system, much bemoaned and widely talked about / lampooned.

furthermore the nation-wide, government-installed 'directors of finance' are mongs, and they are further killing our education system. every single top-university has gathered together to protest, and all of oxbridge's academic staff gathered to sign and declare an official 'vote of no confidence' in the current education/finance minister.

so yeah... suck off the businessman some more. he surely is the modern polymath and renaissance genius! or maybe they're just dumb cunts that got easy degrees and can't conceive of anything in the world without a profit margin.

respect for business/mba grads in uk: pretty much zero. in this country, to get into top professions, you graduate from a top uni in a 'hard' or 'core' academic subject. you then cross over seamlessly into top and elite professions. the 'establishment' and high-level professions look down on business/econ/mba graduates. the PPE, perhaps the only course with any prestige, is now as widely derided as it is lauded. go figure. if you want a top banking job: do maths or physics. the business/mba class more properly represent this guy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/content/images/2007/02/06/david396_396x222.jpg

ilo you are an identikit asian-american, worshipping money, commerce, and financial 'status'. maybe in 3 generations your family will have climbed the greasy pole far enough to discount such petit-bourgeoisie trivialities. til then, you keep rimming rand and venerating the vulgar white-collared class.

Last edited by aynrandroolz (2012-09-24 12:59:02)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Such venom.
Roc18
`
lol so butthurt over them slashing your art/english/hipster fund? I can't believe you're talking like Finance and Accounting is easier than some art/english class.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Jay wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Jay wrote:

No.
Yes I would.  Fun times.  Oddly enough, it was my smarts that attracted a few of the "grinding" girls.  Mind you, this was a HS with 4A Championship Football and Volleyball teams.

But yeah, as newbie noted, would expect to retain present knowledge.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

aynrandroolz wrote:

lilo you are an identikit asian-american, worshipping money, commerce, and financial 'status'. maybe in 3 generations your family will have climbed the greasy pole far enough to discount such petit-bourgeoisie trivialities. til then, you keep rimming rand and venerating the vulgar white-collared class.
Why, thank you.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Roc18 wrote:

lol so butthurt over them slashing your art/english/hipster fund? I can't believe you're talking like Finance and Accounting is easier than some art/english class.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
i'm not butthurt over anything. i've graduated. twice. it doesn't affect me. but to speak of respect for the business-management class that preside over the higher-education sector is a poor joke. nobody in the uk, least of all anyone involved in higher-ed or academia, respects these people. they are looked upon as ingrates and morons, deploying short-term financial panic plans during a recession, and sacrificing centuries of worldwide prestige, overnight. who can respect that? i'm not angry at all - it's just a poor joke to say what ilo said to me. he clearly has no idea what the current state of uk education is, nor its resident antipathies. this is not a personal grievance. don't confuse it.

also rofl, there is no comparison between an accounting or finance degree and a proper academic degree. a classics degree involves 3/4 years of hardcore philosophy, history, knowledge of architecture and archaeology (incl. field experience), knowledge and fluent reading comprehension of (at least) 2 ancient languages (e.g. ancient greek/latin), and an encyclopaedic amount of reading and study. finance degrees involve 3 years of textbook modules. they are not intellectually comparable. don't kid yourself just 'cause you're on a fast-track to middle-management somewhere. college is about academia and intellection, and classics has it in spades... finance does not. you are doing a glamorised and over-accredited training course for industry. economics is the only discipline that approaches academic/scientific rigour.

Last edited by aynrandroolz (2012-09-24 13:30:20)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

And who's bright idea was to hire these guys?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Uzique, list these so called rare scholarships.  No way and no how in part funded by Industry foundations?

Safety net.  So, you are telling me your upbringing, family environment, etc had no bearing to what you have accomplished so far?  So, if you were raised in a single parent family that lived paycheck to paycheck, sharing a single room with a half dozen other siblings, afforded only the learning materials that the educational system gave you, without all the contacts of your social standing, that you would be where you are now?
Roc18
`
Every discipline is training for whatever you're gonna do. I can't speak on English majoring cause I'm not one. But the courses I've taken and are currently taking are challenging and take many hours out of my days to understand. Not really bashing English majors, I was just trying to troll you.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Government funded UK education:  where are these funds coming from?  Who pays these taxes?  What jobs allows these people/companies to pay these taxes?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
grants are written off as an investment in the country (i presume that's the rationale), loans are paid back (at a low rate after you're on a certain £k p/a)
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum

Ilocano wrote:

Uzique, list these so called rare scholarships.  No way and no how in part funded by Industry foundations?

Safety net.  So, you are telling me your upbringing, family environment, etc had no bearing to what you have accomplished so far?  So, if you were raised in a single parent family that lived paycheck to paycheck, sharing a single room with a half dozen other siblings, afforded only the learning materials that the educational system gave you, without all the contacts of your social standing, that you would be where you are now?
it's perfectly possible to get a good solid degree without family backing. the example you just gave describes all of my uncles for example, and 5/6 of them got 2:1 or 1st's at decent unis.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Cisse
+63|4367
i used my grant to buy my car and my loan to go on holiday

what you gonna do?
pooppooppooppoophttps://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n223/Samtheman53/Sigs/6z8doqc.gif
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252

Ilocano wrote:

all of my scholarships have been internal. i won an MA scholarship, one of two annual funded-place MA scholarships given out across the entire humanities faculty at my university, which covered my entire tuition fees for a year. an 'excellence scholarship'. not funded by industry: allocated to the humanities faculty by internal university funds, and offered to promising postgraduate applicants (2 in my year; 1 this current 2012/2013 year, across a postgraduate humanities faculty consisting of 750+ students). i won a departmental prize for best undergraduate thesis, which gave me another decent lump sum. departmental prizes are, unsurprisingly, internal, and the money itself normally comes from very rich alumni who die and/or decide to set-up a little fund in their name. there are several prizes given each year; the one i won is the nominal 'main' one, with the biggest cash prize. again, no industry. no reliance on 'business' and its innate wisdom. think about it: what 'industry' exists to fund humanities? what 'industry' has an interest in arts and humanities? this isn't big energy or big pharm: this is big books.

my PhD will be funded through a mixture of arts/humanities research council funding (the official centralised body that funds doctoral level research in the UK), and most of that money will have come from the yearly government budget-allocation. thus it is taxpayers' money, and not 'big business' or 'trickle down wealth from the amazing CEO 1%', as you think. this is not america. our funding is for public/state institutions, and it comes from the public purse. not much, i hasten to add: oxford has 4 funded PhD places in its english department (considered probably the best english department in the world) per year. it receives 1400+ applications. about 40 other funded-places will be going via, again, internal-funding means, as outlined above for my alma mater's example. oxford is a rich place, with one of the largest endowments of any uk university, hence around 40 places (considered very very high, relative to other universities' ability to fund).

no business. all earned through excellence and distinction. all awarded by merit. you are chasing the wrong route of argument.

did my 'family background' help me? not really. nobody in my family has ever pursued an arts/humanities degree. nobody in my family particularly cares for philosophy or literature. they are well-educated, well-cultured people, but their provenance is the high-professions (note: no engineers or mba alums, so don't get freudian on me). i cultivated my own taste in reading and literature from a very young age, and pretty much self-taught myself. an autodidact, if you will. perhaps i was 'helped' by being from a pretty wealthy background, so i could afford to buy the books, rather than go to a public library. however i don't really think background is at all important in how intelligent or cultured someone can be. not everyone that graduates with top honours does so because they are posh kids. conversely, posh kids who go to 'better' pre-university schools often find that when they are at university they struggle immensely: the support-system and babysitting-system of private school education is gone. individual study skills and individual talent becomes scarce.  also i was raised in a 'single parent' home. my parents divorced when i was 4. it's safe to say my mum didn't sit me down to read moby dick together after a gruelling 12 hour day. so what does background have to do with anything? you are prevaricating.

FYI in my experience of academia, the people that generally rise to the top and get the highest marks and the win the prizes are the working-class heroes that have a serious work ethic. there is little to no correlation between background and university performance. going to a good school may help you slip into a 'top' university easier than a disadvantaged kid, but the environment is still intensely demanding, and the posh coasters that have 'had it easy' quickly slip to the bottom (and often drop out). what you do not have at uk universities so much now is the 'old boys network' that will pass a flunking kid because of family connections (though i am led to believe this still happens at ivy league schools). another thing you do not have is the sporting jocks that are being nudged through their classes because of their sporting scholarship. so perhaps consider your remarks a little more.

Last edited by aynrandroolz (2012-09-24 14:50:20)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
you didn't even say hi teds or anything

i feel so used
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5786|Catherine Black
hi teds or anything
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Roc18 wrote:

I can't believe you're talking like Finance and Accounting is easier than some art/english class.
Art, music and language/lit are actually a lot harder than business mathematics if you take them seriously.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Thanks Ziq and Teds.   The more you know.  Yeah, sadly, much crazier priorities here.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

No.
If I could keep what I know now, I would just for a different experience. The "do it all over" proposition sort of loses its appeal when loss-of-knowledge is brought into the mix.

Also, would the universe consider investing in now-successful companies and betting on winning teams cheating?

You'd be a creepy kid if you had past knowledge. The whole point of being a teenager is to be a dumbass feeling your way through life. That's where all the fun came from: innocence.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Jay wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Jay wrote:

You'd be a creepy kid if you had past knowledge. The whole point of being a teenager is to be a dumbass feeling your way through life. That's where all the fun came from: innocence.
I wasn't innocent in HS.  And neither were most of those I hung out with. 

I think the better word would be naive about the world after HS.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Plus it would be FUTURE knowledge in the past, not past knowledge in the past.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard