+2,053|6781|PNW

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6690|Disaster Free Zone

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Spark wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

rofl american geography really is that bad, huh
I swear the US teaches the 7-continent model. Even if they don't, I really doubt they teach the weird 5 continent models or the like.
lol the funny part of his post is the idea that, because europe's land-mass is contiguous with asia minors, it isn't really 'a continent'. i think roc thinks continents must be like islands, or something. does that mean north america isn't really a continent for a few months of the year because it's joined to asia?

anyway, my post was quite clearly about the political. chechnya isn't really a 'european' state. it's in the caucasus, which is basically like a cross between almost-there asia minor and russia's playground. the continental models that are largely based on culture/collection would probably place it in asia minor. the european 'continent' qua tectonic plate would probably include it. nevertheless roc's post made absolutely zero geographic sense.
There are only 3 continents.
Afro-Eurasia, America and Australia.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

I always thought it should be Eurafroasia. Rolls off the tongue easier.

Spark wrote:

I swear the US teaches the 7-continent model. Even if they don't, I really doubt they teach the weird 5 continent models or the like.
They teach it with absolute certainty and will brook no dissent on the matter.

Witness the stirrings of science as a religion.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4263

DrunkFace wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Spark wrote:

lol the funny part of his post is the idea that, because europe's land-mass is contiguous with asia minors, it isn't really 'a continent'. i think roc thinks continents must be like islands, or something. does that mean north america isn't really a continent for a few months of the year because it's joined to asia?

anyway, my post was quite clearly about the political. chechnya isn't really a 'european' state. it's in the caucasus, which is basically like a cross between almost-there asia minor and russia's playground. the continental models that are largely based on culture/collection would probably place it in asia minor. the european 'continent' qua tectonic plate would probably include it. nevertheless roc's post made absolutely zero geographic sense.
There are only 3 continents.
Afro-Eurasia, America and Australia.
i've read a book on 'meta-geography' before, and really there are actually no continents, as such. they are socio-cultural constructions. but to say that "europe isn't a continent" is kind of foolish. ditto defining continents as 'contiguous land masses'. there is absolutely nothing serviceable in geography - i.e. the human and constructed studies - in treating africa, europe, and asia as the same thing. perhaps useful to some geologists, but we are talking about geography.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6748|Toronto | Canada

lets just break it up by tectonic plate. no socio-cultural constructions, just massive physical pieces of rock.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8a/Plates_tect2_en.svg/800px-Plates_tect2_en.svg.png

Spoiler (highlight to read):
kidding, imagine if america/canada stole a chuck of russia...
Roc18
`
+655|5800|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Spark wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

rofl american geography really is that bad, huh

lmao how does it make zero geographic sense? The arbitrary line between europe and asia is geographic and not social?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4263
that post makes zero sense. the geographic is social.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6694|United States of America
Are we just going through this video in text form again
CC-Marley
+407|6837
Breaking News. Terror plot thwarted in Canada.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6668|BC, Canada
Was someone trying to irradiate our maple syrup reserves?
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6232|Escea

Moose were behind it.
CC-Marley
+407|6837
Trains I guess. Maybe a bridge as well.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

The Inuit Combine's at it again, huh?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4263

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Was someone trying to irradiate our maple syrup reserves?
instructive lesson in national character #1:

canadians joke and self-deprecate.
americans want to bomb the czech republic.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4263

CC-Marley wrote:

Trains I guess. Maybe a bridge as well.
les assassins des fauteuils rollents....
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4263
what i really don't understand about this terror plot thing: he has been charged with 'using a weapon of mass destruction'. now, i'm no UN weapons expert... but if a home-made shrapnel bomb made using a pressure-cooker falls under the legal definition of a 'WMD', how fucking come you guys never found anything in iraq? funny that...
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6232|Escea

Civilian rather than military context I guess.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6506

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

what i really don't understand about this terror plot thing: he has been charged with 'using a weapon of mass destruction'. now, i'm no UN weapons expert... but if a home-made shrapnel bomb made using a pressure-cooker falls under the legal definition of a 'WMD', how fucking come you guys never found anything in iraq? funny that...
they couldn't afford pressure cookers?
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5187|Sydney
The thriving metropolis of Boston was turned into a ghost town on Friday. Nearly a million Bostonians were asked to stay in their homes – and willingly complied. Schools were closed; business shuttered; trains, subways and roads were empty; usually busy streets eerily resembled a post-apocalyptic movie set; even baseball games and cultural events were cancelled – all in response to a 19-year-old fugitive, who was on foot and clearly identified by the news media.

The actions allegedly committed by the Boston marathon bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his brother, Tamerlan, were heinous. Four people dead and more than 100 wounded, some with shredded and amputated limbs.

But Londoners, who endured IRA terror for years, might be forgiven for thinking that America over-reacted just a tad to the goings-on in Boston. They're right – and then some. What we saw was a collective freak-out like few that we've seen previously in the United States. It was yet another depressing reminder that more than 11 years after 9/11 Americans still allow themselves to be easily and willingly cowed by the "threat" of terrorism.

After all, it's not as if this is the first time that homicidal killers have been on the loose in a major American city. In 2002, Washington DC was terrorised by two roving snipers, who randomly shot and killed 10 people. In February, a disgruntled police officer, Christopher Dorner, murdered four people over several days in Los Angeles. In neither case was LA or DC put on lockdown mode, perhaps because neither of these sprees was branded with that magically evocative and seemingly terrifying word for Americans, terrorism.

To be sure, public officials in Boston appeared to be acting out of an abundance of caution. And it's appropriate for Boston residents to be asked to take precautions or keep their eyes open. But by letting one fugitive terrorist shut down a major American city, Boston not only bowed to outsize and irrational fears, but sent a dangerous message to every would-be terrorist – if you want to wreak havoc in the United States, intimidate its population and disrupt public order, here's your instruction booklet.

Putting aside the economic and psychological cost, the lockdown also prevented an early capture of the alleged bomber, who was discovered after Bostonians were given the all clear and a Watertown man wandered into his backyard for a cigarette and found a bleeding terrorist on his boat.

In some regards, there is a positive spin on this – it's a reflection of how little Americans have to worry about terrorism. A population such as London during the IRA bombings or Israel during the second intifada or Baghdad, pretty much every day, becomes inured to random political violence. Americans who have such little experience of terrorism, relatively speaking, are more primed to overreact – and assume the absolute worst when it comes to the threat of a terror attack. It is as if somehow in the American imagination, every terrorist is a not just a mortal threat, but is a deadly combination of Jason Bourne and James Bond.

If only Americans reacted the same way to the actual threats that exist in their country. There's something quite fitting and ironic about the fact that the Boston freak-out happened in the same week the Senate blocked consideration of a gun control bill that would have strengthened background checks for potential buyers. Even though this reform is supported by more than 90% of Americans, and even though 56 out of 100 senators voted in favour of it, the Republican minority prevented even a vote from being held on the bill because it would have allegedly violated the second amendment rights of "law-abiding Americans".

So for those of you keeping score at home – locking down an American city: a proper reaction to the threat from one terrorist. A background check to prevent criminals or those with mental illness from purchasing guns: a dastardly attack on civil liberties. All of this would be almost darkly comic if not for the fact that more Americans will die needlessly as a result. Already, more than 30,000 Americans die in gun violence every year (compared to the 17 who died last year in terrorist attacks).

What makes US gun violence so particularly horrifying is how routine and mundane it has become. After the massacre of 20 kindergartners in an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, millions of Americans began to take greater notice of the threat from gun violence. Yet since then, the daily carnage that guns produce has continued unabated and often unnoticed.

The same day of the marathon bombing in Boston, 11 Americans were murdered by guns. The pregnant Breshauna Jackson was killed in Dallas, allegedly by her boyfriend. In Richmond, California, James Tucker III was shot and killed while riding his bicycle – assailants unknown. Nigel Hardy, a 13-year-old boy in Palmdale, California, who was being bullied in school, took his own life. He used the gun that his father kept at home. And in Brooklyn, New York, an off-duty police officer used her department-issued Glock 9mm handgun to kill herself, her boyfriend and her one-year old child.

At the same time that investigators were in the midst of a high-profile manhunt for the marathon bombers that ended on Friday evening, 38 more Americans – with little fanfare – died from gun violence. One was a 22-year old resident of Boston. They are a tiny percentage of the 3,531 Americans killed by guns in the past four months – a total that surpasses the number of Americans who died on 9/11 and is one fewer than the number of US soldiers who lost their lives in combat operations in Iraq. Yet, none of this daily violence was considered urgent enough to motivate Congress to impose a mild, commonsense restriction on gun purchasers.

It's not just firearms that produce such legislative inaction. Last week, a fertiliser plant in West, Texas, which hasn't been inspected by federal regulators since 1985, exploded, killing 14 people and injuring countless others. Yet many Republicans want to cut further the funding for the agency (OSHA) that is responsible for such reviews. The vast majority of Americans die from one of four ailments – cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes and chronic lung disease – and yet Republicans have held three dozen votes to repeal Obamacare, which expands healthcare coverage to 30 million Americans.

It is a surreal and difficult-to-explain dynamic. Americans seemingly place an inordinate fear on violence that is random and unexplainable and can be blamed on "others" – jihadists, terrorists, evil-doers etc. But the lurking dangers all around us – the guns, our unhealthy diets, the workplaces that kill 14 Americans every single day – these are just accepted as part of life, the price of freedom, if you will. And so the violence goes, with more Americans dying preventable deaths. But hey, look on the bright side – we got those sons of bitches who blew up the marathon.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree … us-gun-law
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5367|London, England
First half is good. Second half is a yawnfest.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6506

my feeling is that the suspect in custody will stand trial as a civilian on murder charges in federal court. They haven't read him his rights because they feel they have enough evidence that they don't need whatever he says to prosecute him.

if the elder brother had lived, i can see him standing trial as an enemy combatant, he was previously denied citizenship.

i think the constant, non-stop media coverage does not help alleviate the mentally challenged that would want to copycat the crime . . .
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4263

Jay wrote:

First half is good. Second half is a yawnfest.
yeah the number of americans killed really is a yawnfest. but you'll shut down a major city when 3 people are killed by a bomb.

a-ok!
CC-Marley
+407|6837

CC-Marley wrote:

Breaking News. Terror plot thwarted in Canada.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/23/world … .html?_r=0
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5594

I don't see the logic of going for big attacks. The bombers would still be alive and unidentified if they picked really soft targets like cafes or bars. Would be much scarier knowing that the next time you go to have a few brews at the pub on the corner you might lose some limbs. Then again I'm not a terrorist.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5708
not yet.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard