Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6690|Tampa Bay Florida
Some research suggests that ethnocentric thinking may have actually contributed to the development of cooperation. Political scientists Ross Hammond and Robert Axelrod created a computer simulation wherein virtual individuals were randomly assigned one of a variety of skin colors, and then one of a variety of trading strategies: be color-blind, favor those of your own color, or favor those of other colors. They found that the ethnocentric individuals clustered together, then grew until all the non-ethnocentric individuals were wiped out.
I'm not saying its right, I'm not saying its rational.  But its human nature.

Last edited by Spearhead (2013-04-19 06:06:03)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
True, there have been enough studies done, if you give a group of people two sets of coloured hats they'll form two teams and fight each other in some way.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
more spurious science hypotheses to support the basic fact that people acted in error/poor judgment. okay. next you'll be lining up with dilbert to excuse your distaste of black people because they are "culturally less sophisticated" and "genetically more prone to violence, as the theory of evolution implies". please. it is not right. social behaviour is acquired, not innate and essentialist. far from determinist. a person's behaviour or values towards a race, religion, or creed are all programmed by the culture that person lives in. it's called 'ideology': the gap between objective reality and the person's subjective propositions. if american people immediately grab an arab after a terrorist incident, it's because the american culture has a pervasive and insidious anti-arab sentiment or distrust. put the science book down. that's a problem - an intolerance, a prejudice - within your (supposedly) democratic and egalitarian society. don't justify it with pseudo-science.

you know, science came up with the idea of evolution and the competition of the species just at the time when human society and intellectual-political development birthed liberalism, democracy: equality, liberty. just because the scientific background says one thing, doesn't mean we have to act that way. we are free agents (to an extent), and we have freedom of thought and choice. relying on scientific theories for everyday social behaviour basically implies that you view the human individual as a thoughtless automaton. the dignity and virtue of the human species lies in the 'sapiens' part of our name; we are sapient, not merely sentient. we attain the greatest grace and unlock the best parts of our species when we consciously educate or act with aforethought, and collaborate, against the baser instincts of our 'nature'.

so no: shit excuse. plus, if it's a scientific behaviorism (and thus a determinism) - why does this only happen in america? little odd, eh.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-19 06:14:41)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

ahahaha amazing.
Spawn campers.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
People are programmed to fight for what they perceive to be 'their team', and attack and discriminate against people they see as no being in 'their team'.

Insularity, poor education and spectator sports which really suck are only going to make things worse.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

Dilbert_X wrote:

People are programmed to fight for what they perceive to be 'their team', and attack and discriminate against people they see as no being in 'their team'.

Insularity, poor education and spectator sports which really suck are only going to make things worse.
again, 'programmed' implies automation. inevitability. a pessimism about human free-will and rational judgement. that's completely tendentious. i have never felt animosity towards someone of another skin-colour to me, not even in situations of heightened alarm or violence. and i grew up in the most insular, white middle-class area imaginable. like demographically 99.99% white. i had barely met or seen a person of colour (or a homosexual, for that matter) before going to university. i have no problem with either. this scientific positivism tends to plot everyone on a graph, as something completely determined.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

so no: shit excuse. plus, if it's a scientific behaviorism (and thus a determinism) - why does this only happen in america? little odd, eh.
I would argue that it doesn't only happen in America.  Look at the Jews in the 1930's/1940's.  Mass hysteria is not unique to one country.

I think whatever mass paranoia there is, has more to do with the 24 hour news cycle, more than anything else.  But remember, the NY post is owned by Rupert Murdoch. 

Most Americans have not seen a Muslim in their entire lives.  The first time I saw someone wearing a turban was on an airplane -- a couple of years after 9/11.  Did I literally think they were going to hijack the plane?  No, of course not.  Did it make me uncomfortable anyways?  Absolutely.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

again, 'programmed' implies automation. inevitability. a pessimism about human free-will and rational judgement. that's completely tendentious. i have never felt animosity towards someone of another skin-colour to me, not even in situations of heightened alarm or violence. and i grew up in the most insular, white middle-class area imaginable. like demographically 99.99% white. i had barely met or seen a person of colour (or a homosexual, for that matter) before going to university. i have no problem with either. this scientific positivism tends to plot everyone on a graph, as something completely determined.
There are enough scientific studies which prove the point that your anecdotes don't matter.

When there are no points of difference people will create one and fight over it - hence soccer violence.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Spearhead wrote:

Most Americans have not seen a Muslim in their entire lives.  The first time I saw someone wearing a turban was on an airplane -- a couple of years after 9/11.  Did I literally think they were going to hijack the plane?  No, of course not.  Did it make me uncomfortable anyways?  Absolutely.
Oh dear lord....
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

There are enough scientific studies which prove the point that your anecdotes don't matter.

When there are no points of difference people will create one and fight over it - hence soccer violence.
soccer violence is tied to many more things than 'just because'. it's often religious/political/sectarian. it's also to do with working-class identity and terrace culture. it's not a proof that people will fight "just because we're different". you are totally glossing over thousands of local enmities and history, there. very unconvincing. and then you attack my personal anecdote method... lol, pretty funny.

yes, there's lots of scientific backing for the 'pack mentality' of humans. we all know that. the fact is we are also rational, and can educate ourselves to think with a little more patience and forethought. you don't have to excuse being a judgmental, ignorant piece of shit because it's "in our nature". humans are not dumb beasts.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

Spearhead wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

I would argue that it doesn't only happen in America.  Look at the Jews in the 1930's/1940's.  Mass hysteria is not unique to one country.

I think whatever mass paranoia there is, has more to do with the 24 hour news cycle, more than anything else.  But remember, the NY post is owned by Rupert Murdoch. 

Sikh's wear turbans... not Muslims...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
I was 13 years old?  I didn't even know the difference then.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Perhaps, but you still described someone in a turban as Muslim. You really are a redneck
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

Spearhead wrote:

I was 13 years old?  I didn't even know the difference then.
you were 13 years old a few years after 9/11? how old are you? i thought you were in your 30's.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
22 lol

and Jay, according to wikipedia, Afghans and Pakistanis where turbans.  So blam.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
they only wear them as functional garments. the turban is a symbol of sikhism. many muslims and hindus will actually be offended if you attribute the turban to them.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
someone is ustreaming the radio communications

'internet'

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ma-rt-9-window-cam
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Oh hey, a muslim
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

Jay wrote:

Oh hey, a muslim
a chechnyan muslim. doesn't excuse your "it's okay to collar arabs" sentiment at all. as i said above: islam is a religion. chechnyans are basically european, more than arabic. a muslim could be white (many are). your comment that it is okay to hound arabs after 9/11 was completely bigoted and racist.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-19 07:07:34)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
yeah this guy looks really arabic, jay

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIN_GZsCIAAFoGt.jpg:large

racist discrimination totally justified. all those reddit snoops circling brown people carrying bags. so smart.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

He looks like a hobbit.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Originally from Chechnya, but living in the United States since five years, Tamerlan says: "I don't have a single American friend, I don't understand them."

Tamerlan, 196 lbs, will represent New England in the heavyweight category at the National Golden Gloves competition in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Tamerlan, who studies at Bunker Hill Community College in Boston and wants to become an engineer, took the semester off from school to train for the competition.

If he wins enough fights there, Tamerlan says he could be selected for the US Olympic team and be naturalized American. Unless his native Chechnya becomes independent, Tamerlan says he would rather compete for the United States than for Russia.

Tamerlan fled Chechnya with his family because of the conflict in the early 90s, and lived for years in Kazakhstan before getting to the United States as a refugee. 

Tamerlan says he doesn't usually take his shirt off so girls don't get bad ideas: "I'm very religious."

Tamerlan says he doesn't drink or smoke anymore: "God said no alcohol." A muslim, he says: "There are no values anymore," and worries that "people can't control themselves."
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-04-1 … derstand-t

Last edited by Jay (2013-04-19 07:35:26)

-Frederick Bastiat
wrestler, sociable, fellow prom goer.. even had a prom party at his house. (classmate interviewed on today show earlier)
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
lol i'm listening to the police scanner radio. they have detained a 70 year old man with a bomb. guy in bear-suit is going in. the guy is surrounded by boston police right now and has a detonator switch in his hand. he is "arching his back up" to "get off the dead-switch".
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
they've clarified it's definitely not the original suspect. he is 60-70 years old (one officer said 90), old, and has 'salt and pepper' hair. so the news don't know about the fact there are MULTIPLE suspects. they have been using the term 'multiple' on the radio the whole time.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard