unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

What the heck is a gamer and fencer doing in a knife fight? It's such an arbitrary scenario. Did the gamer hurt the fencer's pride? Is he being called out to the field of honor? Just say no.

Sad.

Knife fight, knife attack, potatoes/potahtos.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Whatever, someone who has some minimal experience of not being completely sedentary will have a better chance than a video-gamer.

uziq wrote:

17 year old gen-z'ers with 2000 hours logged in fortnite have better hand-eye coordination and faster reflexes than dilbert. sad!
Reaction times are fixed, you can't actually change them.

Hand-eye coordination from video-games? LMAO
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3444

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

society makes all sorts of hobbies and personal pursuits illegal. that's what a great portion of laws are about, war man: preventing harm to others and harm to yourself.
Society has made drugs illegal - to prevent harm to others and yourself, yet you don't give a shit about the law or all the people who are harmed by drugs die as part of the drugs trade - which can't be far off the school shooting toll.
except that the drugs i talk about consistently in legalization or decriminalization debates have been shown, via scientific understanding and empirical data, to be less harmful than 'legal' substances, if not entirely harmless in all but 0.1% of outlier cases.

i'm all for policy being led by evidence-based reasoning. whether it's gun control or drug legislation.

you are right, though, in that they are in many ways similar: most of all in that the war on drugs, like the gun control issue, have both been calamitous failures dogged by irreason and emotionalism of all forms.

No, it was a knife fight, not an attack, not self-defence.
lol okay dilbert. picturing you in a knife duel is really, really funny.

how many fights involving a bladed weapon actually involve both parties having one? most all knife attacks are a case of 'attack or self-defence' with one person pulling the weapon and the other being without. what fucking world do you live in, the set of The Warriors or something?

i'm sure 6 months of fencing training will be indispensable the next time you meet a greaser in an alleyway and challenge him to a bit of sticking action with your stiletto. retard. will you break out into a song and dance number part-way through, too, relying on your valuable knowledge of musicals?

Last edited by uziq (2022-07-20 04:09:54)

uziq
+492|3444

Dilbert_X wrote:

Whatever, someone who has some minimal experience of not being completely sedentary will have a better chance than a video-gamer.

uziq wrote:

17 year old gen-z'ers with 2000 hours logged in fortnite have better hand-eye coordination and faster reflexes than dilbert. sad!
Reaction times are fixed, you can't actually change them.

Hand-eye coordination from video-games? LMAO
what makes you think that i have a 'sedentary' lifestyle, or did have, because i played computer games? i had sporting hobbies when i was a teenager, too. i'm probably more physically active than you now. such a silly, silly argument. 'you played games so you ate doritos all day and never exercised'. because that's exactly what modern esports pros are like, aren't they? don't professional esports teams have in-house gyms and physical trainers?

reaction times decay with cognitive decline and age, which is inevitable. there's a reason why most esports stars in games like starcraft with insanely high actions-per-minute or in shooting games with high demands on reflexes are invariably all under 25.

conversely, you can of course improve reaction times with training and application. reaction times and executive function tallies with a whole bunch of coefficients: physical health, age, levels of education. what a completely dumb and erroneous statement.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/br … tudy-finds
Your brain’s reaction time peaks at age 24, study finds

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl … 4/#S9title

Consistent with previous testing using in-person visual methods in both laboratory-based research (e.g. Cepeda et al., 2001; Fozard et al., 1994) and larger field studies (Der & Deary, 2006), we demonstrated cross-sectional age-related slowing across adulthood in choice reaction time on this auditory task using novel technology. In addition, age differences increased with task complexity involving central executive functions such as switching, although age differences for tasks involving inhibitory control were not significant after controlling for general slowing. These findings using telephone assessment (Lachman & Tun, 2008) are generally consistent with previous studies that have examined adult age differences in complex speeded tasks (Cepeda et al., 2001; Reimers and Maylor, 2005), and executive function (Plumet, Gil, & Gaonac’h, 2005).
of course hand-eye coordination is involved in video games? what do you think is the motor skill used when you point a mouse at something on a screen?

do you try to be this stupid, or what? does it take effort and concentration of will?

Last edited by uziq (2022-07-20 04:13:04)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

except that the drugs i talk about consistently in legalization or decriminalization debates have been shown, via scientific understanding and empirical data, to be less harmful than 'legal' substances, if not entirely harmless in all but 0.1% of outlier cases.
But society has determined they are harmful and made them illegal, shut up now. Isn't that what you told War Man?

i'm sure 6 months of fencing training will be indispensable the next time you meet a greaser in an alleyway and challenge him to a bit of sticking action with your stiletto. retard.
The question was who would have a better chance in a physical altercation with a weapon, an active and dextrous athlete or a sedentary geek.

Meanwhile thats quite a trip you've gone off on, maybe try some different drugs?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-07-20 04:12:52)

uziq
+492|3444
society hasn't 'determined' that they are harmful? and, in any case, scientific understanding is being revised and modified all the time. that's what your beloved scientific method is. now you're – what – appealing to a static version of tradition? blind obeisance to the past and the 'way things have been'? you sound like a constitutional literalist on the supreme court, lmfao.

you are knocking it out the park today today. stupid squared.

Last edited by uziq (2022-07-20 04:14:39)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

you are right, though, in that they are in many ways similar: most of all in that the war on drugs, like the gun control issue, have both been calamitous failures dogged by irreason and emotionalism of all forms.
So banning drugs has 'failed' therefore obviously banning guns will work?
uziq
+492|3444
the assault weapons ban worked in the clinton era.

gun bans have demonstrably worked in numerous countries – like australia, for example.

the war on drugs is a failure, yes.

both mass shootings and drugs violence could be fixed with intelligent, rational policy.

do you need a back rub? go have a walk around the block.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

society hasn't 'determined' that they are harmful?
Er, yes it has, hence they're illegal.
uziq
+492|3444
The question was who would have a better chance in a physical altercation with a weapon, an active and dextrous athlete or a sedentary geek.
i find it consistently amazing how you, a grown adult who is supposedly intelligent, thinks in binaries all the time. 'engineering versus history'. 'parodic video-game nerd versus athletic chad'.

what if i told you ... people can play computer games and also be in good physical shape? certainly many professional athletes have nerdy gaming hobbies or obsessions.

what does dexterity have to do with athletics? dexterity is more associated with fine motor control and use of the hands, if anything – like, you know, in using a game controller or mouse+keyboard.

you're rather transparently self-aggrandizing your target pistol shooting hobby as 'athletic prowess'. it involves dexterity, yes, but it's not athletic. it's not a decathlon, dilbert.

amusingly, most pictures you find online of 'pro' or 'olympian' pistol shooters look very out of shape. not exactly the paradigm of 'athletic'. they look ... an awful lot like your stereotype of a slob gamer.

https://img.olympicchannel.com/images/image/private/t_16-9_360-203_2x/f_auto/v1538355600/primary/wvbl7ukjm8b4lhut5xwl

athletic

such a confused mess of thinking and a waste of everyone's time.
uziq
+492|3444

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

fun sort of 'determination'. not based on scientific or medical reasoning.

in the same sense of the term, the christian right have 'determined' that aborting a first-term foetus is murdering a complete soul and a perfect creation of God.

and now it's being writ into law in many US states. so i guess it has the inarguable weight of tradition, history, consensus, etc, behind it, too.

amazing how the 'man of science' absconds from reason and evidence when it suits his personal prejudices. good job!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If your aero-brain can recall what happened five minutes ago the subject was fencing.

vs

https://www.si.com/.image/t_share/MTY4MTg1ODU5MDM0ODUwNjg4/esports-gamer-2jpg.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

in the same sense of the term, the christian right have 'determined' that aborting a first-term foetus is murdering a complete soul and a perfect creation of God.

and now it's being writ into law in many US states. so i guess it has the inarguable weight of tradition, history, consensus, etc, behind it, too.

amazing how the 'man of science' absconds from reason and evidence when it suits his personal prejudices. good job!
But you tell everyone else that if the govt makes their hobby illegal they should get over it and 'find another hobby'.
Practice what you preach.
uziq
+492|3444

Dilbert_X wrote:

If your aero-brain can recall what happened five minutes ago the subject was fencing.
dilbert, neither fencers nor gamers are up there on the 'tough guy' stakes. i'm sorry that for some reason, in your cucked and cloistered, sexless little world, that this affronts your self-image as being somehow 'masculine'. neither fencing nor gaming involves athletic prowess, strength, or the exercising of actual physical violence.

imagine calling me an aero-brain when you show up and snort out retardisms like 'reaction times are fixed and don't change', 'videogames don't involve hand-eye coordination'. you are, without exaggeration, illiterate. and scientific reason is meant to be your forte.
uziq
+492|3444

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

But you tell everyone else that if the govt makes their hobby illegal they should get over it and 'find another hobby'.
Practice what you preach.
i haven't taken a drug in years and none of the drugs i did take involved 'mass death'. do you need more write-ups on the supply chain of drugs to western europe, again? MDMA is made in the netherlands using ingredients from south-east asia. european cocaine supply routes skip the cartels altogether.

as for 'drug-taking as a hobby', which is laughable: how many people who take drugs are threatening violence against authorities or society at large because people are 'taking their drugs' away? last time i checked, recreational drug users weren't militant and organized. where can i find the narcotics NRA?

and your reasoning is typically sophist and topsy-turvy. the best way to fix the issue of drugs-supply violence and deaths is to decriminalise the things (within reasonable bounds) and lift bans.

nobody is saying you can't own a gun or have a shooting hobby. they're talking about practical means to limit access to very harmful, and almost wholly gratuitous, weapons which are responsible for an overwhelming number of mass shootings. i have no problem with very harmful drugs remaining banned. if fentanyl is the AR-15 of drugs, i say keep that shit illegal with the very most serious legal punishments.

Last edited by uziq (2022-07-20 04:45:53)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
You guys are both degenerates in your own ways. Dilbert is going to eventually walk into a kebab place with his range pistols and yell 'this ends today '. Uzique is going to stab a Korean girl and flee the country causing an international incident someday.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3444
dilbert resembles jay too much in that he's slid invisibly into middle-age and yet still identifies with the virile, able-bodied self he was, no doubt at his social peak in university.

it's so funny seeing men with 'dad bodies' talk about how tough they are and how they've still got fighting smarts because they did fencing ... 20 years ago.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Dilbert's weird assertion like 5 deflections from whatever this was that the military can't or shouldn't run away doesn't even make sense from a fighting perspective. Has he even read a single, actual book on war, or is it all just bluster? What is he even talking about? This isn't Warhammer 40k.

Both his SAS and SEAL guys would probably recommend retreat from a knife fight.

Hand-eye coordination and games have been talked about forever.

Some gamers exercise and have good eating habits. Some gamers are literally ex-military. There's literally not enough information for his hypothetical to go anywhere.
uziq
+492|3444
reminder that this entire insane aside began because dilbert took exception to a one-line exchange about call of duty that i had with desertfox.

imagine tee'ing off for 2 pages about how you're tough and athletic and dexterous and how you can shoot guns in real life and how you're totally tough and could win in a fight ... because someone mentioned, in a lighthearted post, that they used to be good with a ww2 bolt action rifle in a computer game.

then he says that the people responding to him must be 'crazed on drugs'.

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

I'm curious how these last couple pages of weird bravado would have gone down if any of our military vet gamers were still around to commentate.

Average, random "knife fight," in the mind of Dilbert:
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6706|Purplicious Wisconsin

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I am impressed that Warman chose the worst argument in favor of having AR-15s. Self-defense? Protecting liberty against tyrannical government? Nope. "Muh hobbies". It sounds so incredibly selfish. Lives > my hobbies and personal identity.

Talking to Ken about how "it is part of my lifestyle" is also something that probably works with only a very specific type of liberal. It is 2022. Society is way past politely respecting silly lifestyle choices.
I mentioned self-defense with the not rape victim as an example.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Semi-automatic rifles are frequently an afterthought or bottom of the list for home defense in both tactical and tacticool articles and "rankings." Typically, shotguns, semi-automatic pistols, and even revolvers are favored first. Between the advantages and disadvantages of the pistol and rifle respectively, a pistol is often deemed more of a practical and utilitarian choice.

Armed households I'm acquainted with keep their pistols closest at hand, while the rifles remain in the safe until it's time to go to the range.

Warman's hypothetical 120 lb rape victim would probably be better served by a pocket 442 than an AR clone in the safe somewhere in the garage.
Not everyone likes the recoil of a shotgun. I will never understand "revolvers are best for females" BS. Trigger pull is generally going to be longer if firing double action which is more likely to happen. Also pistols that you can't get a good proper grip on, due to short grips like a pocket revolver, require more practice to shoot accurately and properly control the recoil. A shouldered weapon like ar-15 or even a pistol caliber carbine is a far better option, granted if it has a stock and barrel length is under 16 inches you have to register it as an SBR(fuck you ATF) of course you could always give it a pistol brace to shoulder to make it classify as a pistol/other as is common in ar-15 pistols. shorter barrel is ideal for more maneuverability while shouldering it is easier to master. A shouldered weapon allows you to shoot accurately with it why also providing better control for recoil. Also don't need to practice as much with a shouldered carbine as you would with a pistol or shotgun. If worried about rounds over penetrating then just use hollow points.

uziq wrote:

War Man wrote:

Oh you want me to fucking change my lifestyle? Maybe I should start demanding you change your ways if I don't like them. Fuck off.

I guess you don't give a shit if a 120 pound woman gets her place invaded by a 200+ lb rapist and unable to defend herself because laws prevent her from owning a gun. Oh wait I forgot leftist arguments, "It's ok if abortion is legal, because she can just get an abortion if rapist impregnated" Fucking liberals.
society makes all sorts of hobbies and personal pursuits illegal. that's what a great portion of laws are about, war man: preventing harm to others and harm to yourself. your hobby revolves around lethal firearms that are expressly designed to murder a whole lot of people. there are very few hobbies that are so expressly geared around violence and harming other people. the best 'practical use' argument you can make for keeping massively overpowered rifles is that you want to hunt big animals. it 'being fun' to let off rounds at the range seems like a pretty paltry and selfish reason for keeping around weapons that frequently murder schoolrooms of children. getting drunk and racing around the roads with your friends is a fun pursuit for young people, for instance: should we have no laws around DUIs or speeding because street racing is a 'lifestyle'?

who is proposing any law that would stop a person owning a gun for personal protection? we are talking about AR-15s and weapons with a high capacity to cause mass death. i'm not making any arguments that america should outlaw guns completely; i know that's way beyond any debate in your country. personally, i prefer living in a country where guns are not part of the equation of day-to-day life, but i'm not making that criticism of american life here. we are talking about assault rifles, again.
Banning ar-15's won't fricken work. Criminals will find a way. Even if it hypothetically works and we ban AR-15's, you seriously think every single owner would comply with the government? More and more people in USA are becoming gun owners and alot of them are getting ar-15's. Trying to take away such weapons from paranoid people will make school shootings child's play in comparison to the amount of death that will happen with fascistic policies that violate the constitution "...Shall not be infringed."

AR-15's are a great option for home-defense.

Last edited by War Man (2022-07-20 22:24:34)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
uziq
+492|3444
how is an assault rifle a great weapon for home defense? you keeping it under your pillow for that night-time rapist, war man? how quickly can you load and fire an AR-15 from storage compared to a simple revolver or handgun? are you going to account for all those rounds you loose off in a densely packed urban or suburban environment? a panicked person in a home invasion scenario is not going to double-tap a few well-aimed shots at the intruder.

'fascistic policies'. lol. there is nothing fascist about banning military-style weapons from civilian hands. you do know the constitution also makes it illegal to take up arms against the government for the sake of revolt, too, right? it is expressly unconstitutional to do what you are doing: threatening violence and insurrection against law enforcement or representatives of the state.

banning AR-15's already HAS worked. there is data on this.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Warman wrote:

Not everyone likes the recoil of a shotgun. I will never understand "revolvers are best for females" BS. Trigger pull is generally going to be longer if firing double action which is more likely to happen. Also pistols that you can't get a good proper grip on, due to short grips like a pocket revolver, require more practice to shoot accurately and properly control the recoil. A shouldered weapon like ar-15 or even a pistol caliber carbine is a far better option, granted if it has a stock and barrel length is under 16 inches you have to register it as an SBR(fuck you ATF) of course you could always give it a pistol brace to shoulder to make it classify as a pistol/other as is common in ar-15 pistols. shorter barrel is ideal for more maneuverability while shouldering it is easier to master. A shouldered weapon allows you to shoot accurately with it why also providing better control for recoil. Also don't need to practice as much with a shouldered carbine as you would with a pistol or shotgun. If worried about rounds over penetrating then just use hollow points.
"X is best/bad for females" isn't actually a thing I pay much attention to. Women are women, not a different species. You should see them with all kinds of firearms at the range. Maybe you have to be the type to film "firing her first gun, lulz" videos to buy into the notion that a woman can't pull a stiff trigger. I actually despise these "her first gun" videos. Way too often these jerks are giving a newbie too much gun, and then upload the chortling results for youtube lulz.

With misogyny so linked to gun violence, it really isn't surprising to me to see someone in the gun world making a decision about what's best for women based on a stereotype. People in the gun world making up stories about daintier and daintier women to support their argument. Not surprising that you also know what's best for their uteruses. Do you know another group of humans who have low bodyweight and are slight of frame? Gradeschoolers.

Wouldn't the best weapon for anyone be the one they feel most comfortable and confident with, and have the most training for?

I'm not sure why you wouldn't have to practice with a rifle, that doesn't make sense. At the very least you're still going to have to maintain it and keep familiarized with operation. I've never had a shotgun jam on me. I actually prefer its recoil over palm-pounding handguns. Revolvers are likewise straightforward. Hammerless revolvers are pretty handy actually, in that it won't snag on your clothing. Pistols in general are lauded for versatility in home defense, much easier to use one handed if you need your other for something like turning on a light or grabbing your kid. 30-50 wild hogs is a meme.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

uziq wrote:

are you going to account for all those rounds you loose off in a densely packed urban or suburban environment?
Some people make a point of keeping frangible and other low penetration ammunition on hand for home defense scenarios, for that reason. #4 buckshot is sometimes recommended online for that reason (there are arguments for and against, take low drywall penetration claims with a grain of salt), and #00. Also less-lethal ammunition and methods like pepper spray and stun guns. Must be nice to live where a lot of this stuff doesn't need to be learned.

Missing a lot when panicky is an argument used in favor of higher capacity magazines. But it's also an argument for training more. Warman's "you don't need to train as much with a rifle," actually please do train more lol.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6706|Purplicious Wisconsin

uziq wrote:

how is an assault rifle a great weapon for home defense? you keeping it under your pillow for that night-time rapist, war man? how quickly can you load and fire an AR-15 from storage compared to a simple revolver or handgun? are you going to account for all those rounds you loose off in a densely packed urban or suburban environment? a panicked person in a home invasion scenario is not going to double-tap a few well-aimed shots at the intruder.

'fascistic policies'. lol. there is nothing fascist about banning military-style weapons from civilian hands. you do know the constitution also makes it illegal to take up arms against the government for the sake of revolt, too, right? it is expressly unconstitutional to do what you are doing: threatening violence and insurrection against law enforcement or representatives of the state.

banning AR-15's already HAS worked. there is data on this.
Every gun is technically military style, so banning military style weapons is banning all weapons. Civilians able to have superior weaponry than their nation's military is not unusual if you do some research. You act like the military is all high tech with top end stuff for every soldier, when that is simply not the case and has been that way for hundreds of years. Hell there was a time in the 1800's when the military still used only muzzle loading guns while civilians could purchase and own high capacity magazine weapons. Hell it was never illegal to being able to own cannons and even have a privateer fleet of ships with said cannons.
Also again, ar-15 is not an assault rifle. It's a sporting rifle if you want classification.

Well it is also against the constitution to infringe on the rights of civilian ownership of arms, even if it is a government doing it. It becomes a grey area when both sides are violating the constitution.

Regarding AR-15's for home defense, if you read my fucking post you would realize I mentioned using hollow points if worried about rounds over penetrating. There is a whole variety of different kinds of ammo for most guns, some use the same bullet but have different powder loads. Of course if someone is into hand loading(although I don't think many people bother reloading .223 and .22 considering how cheap they are to buy off the shelf) they can further customize it.
Also you can easily have a case under the bed with readily available loaded magazines nearby if you so desire.
Of course you can have a pistol caliber shouldered weapon too as that is sufficient. I am not dissing shotguns or pistols as I have those too, but they aren't the only good options.

So we ban ar-15's then what? Shooters use mini-14's, pistols, illegally acquired weaponry, etc.. So we ban those then what? Still can acquire illegally acquired weaponry, meanwhile law abiding citizens aren't allowed to own any kind of weapons. Besides anti-gunners will never be satisfied until all guns are banned, give them an inch they take a mile so I may as well ignore them when they can't be reasoned with if they want all guns banned.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Warman wrote:

"X is best/bad for females" isn't actually a thing I pay much attention to. Women are women, not a different species. You should see them with all kinds of firearms at the range. Maybe you have to be the type to film "firing her first gun, lulz" videos to buy into the notion that a woman can't pull a stiff trigger. I actually despise these "her first gun" videos. Way too often these jerks are giving a newbie too much gun, and then upload the chortling results for youtube lulz.

With misogyny so linked to gun violence, it really isn't surprising to me to see someone in the gun world making a decision about what's best for women based on a stereotype. People in the gun world making up stories about daintier and daintier women to support their argument. Not surprising that you also know what's best for their uteruses. Do you know another group of humans who have low bodyweight and are slight of frame? Gradeschoolers.

Wouldn't the best weapon for anyone be the one they feel most comfortable and confident with, and have the most training for?

I'm not sure why you wouldn't have to practice with a rifle, that doesn't make sense. At the very least you're still going to have to maintain it and keep familiarized with operation. I've never had a shotgun jam on me. I actually prefer its recoil over palm-pounding handguns. Revolvers are likewise straightforward. Hammerless revolvers are pretty handy actually, in that it won't snag on your clothing. Pistols in general are lauded for versatility in home defense, much easier to use one handed if you need your other for something like turning on a light or grabbing your kid. 30-50 wild hogs is a meme.
I don't assign gender roles to weapons, when you brought up revolvers for home defense I remembered the stereotypical "Revolvers are best for women" BS.

You disregarded AR-15's, saying they were not ideal for women for home defense saying and suggested a pocket revolver and I disagreed, go ahead and read your damn quote again. You're the one that was determining weapons for a women.

Also you mistake me. I agree with practicing and training frequently with firearms no matter what. I was only saying that it is generally easier for people to get good with a shouldered non-shotgun weapon than with a pistol and shotgun. There are some people that somehow are terrible with rifles and pistol caliber shouldered weapons while amazing with a pistol. The weapon that you are most effective and comfortable with is indeed the best weapon for home defense, I don't question that. You just disregarded ar-15's

Semi-automatic rifles are frequently an afterthought or bottom of the list for home defense in both tactical and tacticool articles and "rankings." Typically, shotguns, semi-automatic pistols, and even revolvers are favored first. Between the advantages and disadvantages of the pistol and rifle respectively, a pistol is often deemed more of a practical and utilitarian choice.

Armed households I'm acquainted with keep their pistols closest at hand, while the rifles remain in the safe until it's time to go to the range.

Warman's hypothetical 120 lb rape victim would probably be better served by a pocket 442 than an AR clone in the safe somewhere in the garage.

Last edited by War Man (2022-07-21 00:49:30)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard