Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

Ilocano wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

I was actually referring to these:  http://www.cde.ca.gov/ds/si/rp/

Here is the one in your area: http://www.coastlinerop.schoolloop.com/
well i learned something new.  I thought ROP classes were just for high school students.  Turns out there are a few classes offered to adults.  But most of the trades you listed are only offered to high school students - at least locally.
Plenty of "A" listed.  But those I listed were from my time, ages ago.

WTH is taught for Fire Technology and Fire Science 101?  Prep for firemen?
A bullshit course people are tricked into taking because they think it will give them a leg up when it comes to applying for a fire fighting job. KJ is right. Most tech schools and programs are not worth it.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6672|Canberra, AUS
More seriously though - I've said this before, but the main advantage of many branches of "abstract" maths at high school/low-college level isn't really for it's own sake, but it makes the underlying mathematics razor sharp. Want to make your algebra skills near perfect? Learn calculus. Want to make your arithmetic and logical skills much sharper than they'd otherwise be? Learn algebra.

(Want to kill yourself? Learn real analysis)

Last edited by Spark (2012-07-30 17:22:13)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Jay wrote:

Why are you posting in this thread if you didn't bother to read anything that was posted besides the OP? Having a kid pick trade school at 14 would preclude him from taking the necessary math classes to go to college later in life if he decides to make the change. Why is this so difficult for you to understand? Even a degree in English requires at least one college level math class be completed. In order to complete that one college level math class they would need three or four semesters of remedial math. Asking 14 year olds to make life altering decisions is fucking retarded because hey, guess what? they have zero life experience to draw from in order to make an informed decision.
And why the fuck couldn't he take math at the same time he does trade school work if he really wanted? Or come to think of it, why the fuck should he be forced to take higher math if he isn't remotely interested in retaining the material? Are you SO massively dense that you think a new system would have to be 100% one way or the other?

A lot of people are even forced to retake math courses they took in high school as a part of college requirements because they can only remember maybe 15% of it, if even that. Hardly any of it's being used in small business. The only reason I remember any of it is because I go over the material every now and then. The same couldn't be said for my abysmal retention of Spanish.

We're not even asking 14-year-olds to make life-altering decisions; we're telling them to do so by cramming stuff into their heads that most of them don't want and will ultimately have no use for, while starving them of courses that they could actually use. I'm not suggesting cutting classes, merely adding more of them and things like apprenticeship programs.

Free up seats in classes for people who even halfway want them and it'll be a more rewarding and productive experience for both student and teacher.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England
We already have alternative schools here that teach basic trades like being an automotive mechanic. It's either one or the other and they make the choice at the age of 14. You can't fit your basic Math, Science, English, History, Art, Phys Ed, etc and then add bullshit trade stuff on top of it. There's not enough time in the day for it.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Jay wrote:

We already have alternative schools here that teach basic trades like being an automotive mechanic. It's either one or the other and they make the choice at the age of 14. You can't fit your basic Math, Science, English, History, Art, Phys Ed, etc and then add bullshit trade stuff on top of it. There's not enough time in the day for it.
I took some electronic courses at an ROP to get some hand's on knowledge about IC.  Come lab time at my college EE courses, I breezed through the lab courses.  Friend who was insanely book smart but no experience with equipement like the Oscilloscope, totally sucked at EE labs.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
We played with oscilloscopes in high school physics class.

The benefits of private school
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Schedules can be worked around taking things like community/tech college at the same time you take high school. It's not easy and you'll probably spend more time in class a day (evening courses), but it isn't impossible.

Example:

day 1: math, english, tech
day 2: history, pe, tech
day 3: elect, elect, tech
day 4 & 5: tech

If they're getting the work done, do you really need butts in seats five days a week? Alternatively, a student could choose to test out or be excused from most high school classes later on, choose one anchor course to still qualify as a high school student and focus on tech college. You'd think younger students would be a detriment to a community/tech college class, but you'd be surprised at how serious they can get.

I know programs like "Running Start" (for example) exist for grades 11-12, but it's been my experience that you really have to do digging to find out about it. Doesn't seem to be eagerly volunteered information from the staff. It would be nice to see alternative courses like these made more mainstream.

Jay wrote:

The benefits of private school
My high school could barely afford up-to-date history books and materials for chemistry classes. Oscilloscopes were out of the question. But tech college came to the rescue as I took computer electronics there.
jsnipy
+3,276|6520|...

I guess it depends on what occupation you want. All technical occupations are not heavy in math. In my mind general algebra is probably the most basic math anyone should have in any technical career.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5176|Sydney

Jay wrote:

Did you know what you wanted to do with your life at 14?
Yes.
I didn't figure it out until I was 27 personally.
I don't see how that reflects on what I posted.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714
Jay I don't think they go "you want uni or trade?" at age 14 and make them decide. They just have a variety of HS classes that are catered towards what people think they want to do. In Australia you can leave school after finishing year 10 but only if you plan to go to a trade school or already have a career path, otherwise you're finishing HS like everyone else.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX
Its no more 'necessary' than grammer, spelling, cursive writing etc.

There'll always be jobs for people who recognise words by shape, if at all.

Algebra - one if Islams best creations - is useful for mind expansion alone, and for allowing technical people to solve problems and communicate in a structured way.

But its no more 'necessary' than poetry or thermodynamics.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

There are people who aren't taught how to use oscilloscopes in high school?

Spark
+874|6672|Canberra, AUS
I wasn't.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I meant in developed countries.
Spark
+874|6672|Canberra, AUS
TBF I've ranted at length here before about just how shitty our high school "physics" cirriculum is.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yeah I was lucky...... ish.
Frank Reynolds
+65|4326
nerds
What are you looking at dicknose
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
https://acatcalledfrank.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/mr-rage-quit.jpg
Frank Reynolds
+65|4326
rage quit?
What are you looking at dicknose
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

There are people who aren't taught how to use oscilloscopes in high school?

High schools here don't really have an all-encompassing standard when it comes to supplied books and equipment. Most of the money usually goes to the schools in the wealthiest areas. If you want advanced classes in some areas, you're going to have to do private school or go to college.

Spark wrote:

I wasn't.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
my private school was poor
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
The high school I attended just raised their tuition again for this year. It's now $28,300 per year

Last edited by Jay (2012-07-31 19:44:39)

-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Algebra - one if Islams best creations - is useful for mind expansion alone, and for allowing technical people to solve problems and communicate in a structured way.
I know it's popular to credit Al-Khwarizmi with the invention of algebra, and you can certainly say that he set it as a branch of mathematics, but neither Islam nor any one person "invented" algebra.
Spark
+874|6672|Canberra, AUS
I went to a pretty well-off private school tbf. Money isn't everything.
~ Richard Feynman
BVC
+325|6693
Algebra isn't necessary for some jobs, but is for others.  Its the same for any subject in school.  Whenever I read articles like this, there often seems to be a tone of "I, the author of this article, don't use XYZ subject in my job therefore everybody should stop learning XYZ".

Yes its boring for some, hard for some.  Persevere.  Kids shouldn't have their education dumbed down because some twat thinks a subject is irrelevent.

" Hurr durr maths sucks I won't need to convert fractions to decimal numbers, whats the point of that?  Stupid maths is for nerds, I'm skipping this class "
*leaves school, gets job in a mechanics workshop using a mix imperial & metric tools*
" Fuck. "

Last edited by BVC (2012-07-31 20:58:49)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard