Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6111|eXtreme to the maX
So they could fit in a Literature degree and still have time for badminton - neat.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4260
top-rate intellect here. observe, ye and marvel, a 40 year old man sat in his mom's house still making the same ranting non-points about humanities students and PhD academics that he has done for the last 4 years. do i really make you that insecure dilbert? you come across as mentally imbalanced.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Why do student politicians make you so angry?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4260
they don't make me angry. i just said how they are stereotyped and stigmatized in the wider student body. you know, a student body i was a part of a year ago. experiencing it, and the modern 'campaign trail' and 'politics' of the university. i.e. facebook popularity contests and gimmicky dance troupes outside lecture halls. unlike you. student politicians are the butt of jokes here. perhaps a more pertinent question is: why do you want to go to such lengths to defend a group you've had no contact or involvement with for several decades?

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-26 04:18:19)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm not defending them, just pointing out you're wrong.

Those twats you so despise will likely be setting your dole in a decade or two.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5549|Toronto
Winston, what's you stipend?
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6744|Toronto | Canada

yeah, there were 15 people running. and student politics are really annoying, but im not really planning on getting involved in the actual political part of it just because of that.  people take student politics way too seriously.  im only in it for a nice little resume boost and helping to organize events on campus.  cba to get involved with any of the other stuff

e: UC government, not UTSU.  i dont get paid - its only like a 5-10 hour a week commitment

Last edited by Winston_Churchill (2013-03-26 06:12:47)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4260

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'm not defending them, just pointing out you're wrong.

Those twats you so despise will likely be setting your dole in a decade or two.
yeah, but no.

you are using the example of the oxford union as a 'model' for all student politics. idiotic in the extreme. the tiniest minority of student politicians go through the oxford -> real politics route. the majority are national union of students members who want to stay on their campus partying and playing the popularity contest for another year. you making them out to be some hard-working and diligent 'sensible' political class is laughable in the extreme. you clearly have not been on a campus for many years. again, though, thanks for telling me how it is. you are good at this today.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5549|Toronto

Winston_Churchill wrote:

yeah, there were 15 people running. and student politics are really annoying, but im not really planning on getting involved in the actual political part of it just because of that.  people take student politics way too seriously.  im only in it for a nice little resume boost and helping to organize events on campus.  cba to get involved with any of the other stuff

e: UC government, not UTSU.  i dont get paid - its only like a 5-10 hour a week commitment
I had seen the poster for the UC elections. Thought you were given a small stipend, but a resume boost is just as good.

Did that Nicky Batty guy win? He had some interesting ideas.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

oh no they were horribly embarrassing.  nah nishi won which im happy with, shes a good friend.  nicky has a really squeaky voice that grinds my gears
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5549|Toronto
I think if you want popularity points you should adopt 1 of his ideas: stop pissing money away on parties for the UC electorate and close friends. Put the money into funding campus improvements. The events don't do well by any standard; nobody has the time.

And the posters weren't THAT bad. All of them attempt a joke and are self-deprecating. The picture however...oh, the picture.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

oh i know ive ranted about the Lit for the past 2 years - i called most of their events Litcest since it was just the same 20-odd people at everything.  im going to try to be part of the coffee houses which i think are the best UC event
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5549|Toronto
Anything to do with the JCR or free food/drinks usually does well. The problem is that our administration weighs wayyy to heavily on all of our events. They want dons to be present (who suck the fun out of everything because they take political correctness wayy too far), administrators to drop in, and a host of other high levels to drop in and detract from the atmosphere. I vowed to leave the moment the top brass showed up as the distinguished guest and killed the mood.

EDIT- and why don' events happen in the Sir Dan's quad? It's the most central, largest area, and nicest. Plus lots of foot traffic to attract attention. Or is it a worry that non-UC students will attend?

Last edited by Pochsy (2013-03-26 06:38:35)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

i think youre going to the wrong events then.  the last coffee house i went to one of the girls did a spoken word about a TA she was banging last year and all the places they had sex on campus. zero censorship.  and our president (ainsley or something like that) apparently gets drunk and has a blast at any event he goes to

id wager that events dont happen in the quad often because like 80% of the school year is too cold

Last edited by Winston_Churchill (2013-03-26 06:41:37)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4260
geez sure sounds like dilbert's future ruling political elite to me. i'll keep schtoom.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5549|Toronto

Winston_Churchill wrote:

i think youre going to the wrong events then.  the last coffee house i went to one of the girls did a spoken word about a TA she was banging last year and all the places they had sex on campus. zero censorship.  and our president (ainsley or something like that) apparently gets drunk and has a blast at any event he goes to

id wager that events dont happen in the quad often because like 80% of the school year is too cold
Yeah, I tend to go to the lecture series (which I'm not even certain are run by the Lit), and larger poetry readings/cultural events.

I think the Lit just sends a representative if they're not actually running them. UC just seems to be the host to these things because, well, it's a nice place at the center of campus.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5549|Toronto
Oh, and to add my own good news: I accepted my top choice grad-school and will spend 2 more years on this campus. Master of Public Policy. I'm hoping I can work into a joint JD at this school after my first year. I screwed up not applying for the joint degree for this year.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

yeah, those are run by the lit's resident alcoholic
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

i read parts of an original edition of Kepler's Astronomia Nova printed in 1609 today at our rare books library
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6479|6 6 4 oh, I forget

It's a boy!!!

What a looooong friday that was. 16min before midnight the guy finally came out. I'm a happy camper! (:
Brasso
+1,549|6636

congrats! best wishes to your baby, the rest of your family, and you
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6158|what

COngrats!

Decided on a name yet?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6503

congratulations - it's a good thing you built your deck, because you'll need a place that is easy to get to and not in the house . . .
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6479|6 6 4 oh, I forget

AussieReaper wrote:

COngrats!

Decided on a name yet?
Some ideas, but not sure quite yet. I'm gonna go get my fully earned sleeps. Afterall I held her head up and had to watch the bloodbath.

Fuck. I'm a dad. Dad. I wonder when that's really gonna go through my thick skull.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6503

wow

this just made me realize my first is 26 this year . . .

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard