DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6680|United States of America
My Instagram store has no idea what to show me and it amuses me. There's pictures of girls in swimwear which apparently is an ad for the barely visible yet enormously expensive sunglasses they have on. Then weird, niche accessories for scuba diving and fly fishing, Lastly, guitars, for some reason.
Larssen
+99|1883

uziq wrote:

still lol’ing at larssen calling my shoes bad when they’ve been written about in GQ as ‘all time classics’.

the fact im dating a fashion designer in one of the world’s most fashion-conscious cities doesn’t matter … she wears dr martens!

an anonymous, faceless faux-german who won’t post any details about himself because he thinks he’s going to be the next sebastian kurZ really knows how to dress.

get cucked
An ugly pair of new balances doesn't get any prettier if you sprinkle american commercial accolades on them, uziq. It's like saying the grammy awards are truly reflective of the best music made in a year. Ha

Who wears american dad-bod sneakers under a nice trenchcoat, tut tut. So many better options! I thought you spent about half your annual salary on custom made, perfumed french shoes.

Also a kippah is headwear for jews, uziq. It would be the funniest thing, Dilbert would be beside himself.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

He could have sent his NB to a French cobbler for consecration. Would that make it OK?
Larssen
+99|1883
He even said sneakers work with a suit
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715

Dilbert_X wrote:

Maybe shooting shoes will catch on as fashion-wear

https://www.edinkillie.co.uk/images/products/sauer/img_4323.jpg

What do you guys think?
If a student came to school with these on should we search their backpack?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3448

Larssen wrote:

He even said sneakers work with a suit
sneakers do work with a suit. why are you affecting this bourgeois sneer about formal wear? people have been wearing smart high-end sneakers with suits for decades. i have some linen suits that don’t look formal enough for dress shoes, and do look good in new balance or, say, a crepe soled desert boot (yes, i have the nice handmade french shoes too.)

why are you even giving out fashion advice when you’re too lame to even post a picture? it’s just funny.

new balance 990s are considered a classic shoe. fashion magazines write about them. i don’t have some outré opinion here. even GQ has written editorials about them. this is mainstream, normie fashion opinion. i’m not trying to justify some questionable decision on my part here. the 990 is an iconic sneaker.

if you think i’m the first person to pair a nice trench coat with some comfortable shoes, may i suggest you walk around paris, london, berlin, new york, seoul, etc, sometime? you sound like a hopeless sap. i’m sure you have perfected formal menswear, larssen, between your management consultancy work and your EU stooge postings. well done. have a biscuit. now post a picture.

Last edited by uziq (2021-12-13 10:28:13)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
Today I learned - uziq reads fashion magazines
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

You literally posted shooting shoes. Probably quite trendy in the competition shooting world, no?

Some of the engineer/STEM guys I've been around could've probably done with some fashion magazines. 70s suits in the 90s and other kits straight out of Revenge of the Nerds.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715

Dilbert_X wrote:

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2021-12-13 14:40:28)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Shooting shoes are functional.

What next?

"Ooh he has Pirelli P7s on his car. Justin Bieber is rocking Continentals now, Pirellis are so last year, who puts them on their car IN 2021? ONLY LOSERS! LMAO!"
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6733|Oxferd Ohire
I take it you aren't an IMSA fan.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Shooting shoes are functional.

What next?

"Ooh he has Pirelli P7s on his car. Justin Bieber is rocking Continentals now, Pirellis are so last year, who puts them on their car IN 2021? ONLY LOSERS! LMAO!"
Bruh, NB sneakers are pretty functional.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Bruh, I know, but we have uziq here who has memorised trainer brands and models
uziq
+492|3448

Dilbert_X wrote:

i googled 'new balance 990 fashion' and the GQ article was right near the top.

i imagine larssen is far more solidly in the demographic of people who buy male 'lifestyle' magazines or aspire to the well-groomed, debonair, businessman/bachelor thing. safe to say i don't read GQ.

'memorizing a trainer brand and model' -- no. that trainer specifically is just as iconic as like a pair of converse or dr martens boots. it's not as if i have the new balance product line memorized. the 990s are their flagship trainer and have stood for everything from 'steve jobs' to 'seinfeld' in the last 25-30 years. they are very recognisable.

your average person could probably namedrop air jordans or some iconic basketball shoe without being a 'sneakerhead'. this is just a case of you being firmly disconnected from youth culture or, well, any sort of culture at all, really.

i don't collect trainers, don't read fashion websites, never spend much time at all thinking about what clothes to buy, really. as i said, i've repurchased the same shoes, coats, shirts, etc. for years now. i don't expend much time or energy on it at all. and yet here i am romancing beautiful fashion designers and there you are ... a useless cuck making 'elbows are pointy'-grade remarks. maybe go and bark up another tree?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Wait, I thought I was criticised for looking things up on google.

the 990s are their flagship trainer and have stood for everything from 'steve jobs' to 'seinfeld' in the last 25-30 years. they are very recognisable
OK
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
It is almost time for bed. Really looking forward to some sweet dreams.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2021-12-13 17:55:32)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

If a student came to school with these on should we search their backpack?
You should be searching anyway, in case they have drugs which you can take home.
uziq
+492|3448

Dilbert_X wrote:

Wait, I thought I was criticised for looking things up on google.

the 990s are their flagship trainer and have stood for everything from 'steve jobs' to 'seinfeld' in the last 25-30 years. they are very recognisable
OK
you’re criticised for hastily dragging in any scientific article or newspaper factoid you can find to service your crackpotism and weird obsessions. half the time the academic studies you enlist don’t even say the things you think they say, because you skim read the abstract for one or two sentences that seem to parrot your bilge and then link away.

the 990 is new balance’s most recognisable shoe. that’s why they became associated with the (now ironic, now not ironic) ‘dad shoe’ look. they’ve been NB’s most expensive and most comfortable, do-all shoe for almost 30 years. as i said, they are to the comfortable office sneaker what converse are to punks or vans are to skateboarders. anyone who has done their own clothes shopping at some point in their life will probably be familiar with them, in appearance if not name.

google any picture of steve jobs or ‘1990s seinfeld’ or even google a recent fashion trend like ‘normcore’/some other 90s revivalism and the NB 990s won’t be far away.

again, nobody is expecting you to know anything about youth cultures, fashion, fashion magazines, etc. you are a giant fucking nerd who spent his uni years piddling about with target pistols. but don’t make out like i’m some sort of weird obsessive fashionista because i recognise an extremely popular shoe. i’m younger than you and actually go outside. your habit of positioning yourself at the fulcrum of human experience, as if you are by default the representative universal man in your views and knowledge, is alternately very quaint and very fucking depressing. dilbert doesn’t always know it best.

Last edited by uziq (2021-12-13 20:12:17)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm not going to get into an argument over shoes.
uziq
+492|3448
yeah you’re just going to make inane remarks. good job.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Not that there's anything innately wrong with reading about fashion anyway. Clothing, its history, development, changes, trends, are all a part of the human experience. Same as art, technology, or anything else. It doesn't seem right that someone be able to closely follow gun nerd shit, ordering springs from the other side of the planet and owning their own pairs of shooting shoes, but then scoff at fashion-heads for reading GQ. Very pig-man attitude seeing shame in that.

Cool vid a few years back of MJF trying Nike's Mags. Less than a hundred pairs of those Back to the Future shoes were made.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

If someone who doesn't know needs to find out what the heck constitutes business casual, business formal, whatever, then googling fashion stuff is probably an OK idea. Going to a friend's wedding and don't want to embarrass yourself, well better not be caught googling faSsIoN. That stuff's for sissies and will get us cOnQuErEd bY tHe ChInEsE!
uziq
+492|3448
it has been literally impossible to miss trainers like NBs in the last 5–10 years. a huge number of people in their 20s–40s wear them. i didn't do 'market research' or spend hours poring over fashion magazines. i bought a pair of shoes that i've seen countless numbers of people wearing, and which are made in the USA to a very high standard of quality. they are famously comfortable. i had to take one pair of sneakers to the other side of the world, including for lots of walking and hiking. no brainer. you really don't have to spend hours per week reading 'fashion sites' to know what new balance shoes are.

https://media.vogue.fr/photos/5e305a1c21fd2e000879f5ad/master/w_2621,h_3814,c_limit/Kaia-Gerber-VogueGlobe-Jan-28-Splash-News.jpg

https://static.highsnobiety.com/thumbor/KHJg2R1ZSfzu1s9_fu2XHsBvirw=/1600x2400/static.highsnobiety.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/11152949/apple-keynote-2019-nike-new-balance-20.jpg

why larssen is being sniffy about high-end trainers being worn with suits, formal trousers, trenchcoats, etc, is genuinely baffling. i can only assume he's putting on the airs of one of those insufferable 'bachelor' types who subscribes to subreddits about menswear or something, and who wears navy suits with tan brown shoes and large watches and thinks himself a 'modern gentleman' and connoisseur. people wear trainers all the time with suits.

in fact, some new trainer brands have gained major market share in the last few years making trainers almost specifically for this purpose. look up common projects, for example, whose plain white shoes were basically everywhere in europe/UK for a few years.

https://stridewise.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/common-projects-achilles-sneaker-review-1024x512.jpg

(no, i do not and have not ever dressed like that, but pretending to be a faux-savile rowe habitué and decrying 'sneakers and suits' is just laughable posturing. the fashion world is badly out of step with larssen's expert opinions, i guess.)

Last edited by uziq (2021-12-13 22:43:40)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

I would probably wear socks with sandals to a meeting with Larssen. If it's not the official footwear of Washington, it should be. Just representing my fellow citizens.

For pizza, make it pineapple-cheese.
Larssen
+99|1883
I just think sneakers with a suit don't work. It's a weird go-between of formal and casual wear and I believe it was popularised by tech entrepeneurs because they wanted to appear young and breaking the mold or whatever.

If you want to go business casual there's many possible choices. Why put sneakers under a suit? Grown men who use this look most of all the white sneakers & esp. in their 30s-40s, look childish to me, or fit in the I-am-a-tech-entrepeneur mold. If you really want to rock more casual shoes with a suit why not just opt for something like espadrilles in summer or something that looks like that?

If you want to turn up casual just wear your casual clothes. Or go 'business casual' with a well cut sweater/turtleneck, a jacket, some good chinos and boots or aformentioned espadrilles. Shit, you get a sneaker pass from me there as well, but I would always prefer some nicer looking footwear if it's for meetings with counterparts, clients etc.

Whatever tho I'm a bureaucrat so you turn up suit & tie with proper footwear when meeting business execs or other departments anyway. It's what you expect.

Women different story imo as they shouldn't be required to wear heels all the time

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard