Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+507|2839

Pochsy wrote:

Interesting that there's a youtube channel dedicated to the investment side of Magic. I checked out a few of the other videos and wonder if there's hidden benefits to the returns this youtuber says he's getting. In one video he claims 6-7% a year is 'decent', and I imagine he's not reporting the profit as capital gains. He's wearing a shirt with "Alpha Investments" on the breast, though, so maybe it's a business he's running.

What a niche world.
He owns a comic book store with a basement and loading dock to store and move a lot of boxes. He owns a bunch of old and high value stuff too. He also runs a sold out Patreon. Between all of that plus YouTube revenue, the guy is probably doing well even if it's just as a scam artist/niche YouTube celebrity.

I don't watch his videos but just know of him. His videos encourage gambling on boxes and hoarding. And I don't need that in my life.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2020-07-01 10:18:08)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,927|5751|949

Jay wrote:

The first time was overproduction. Everyone got into collectibles because there were stories about baby boomers finding $100k+ baseball cards and comics in their attics. Comic book stores popped up everywhere. Seeing the interest, card and comic producers flooded the market and crashed all the prices. The 2nd time was just a normal bubble pop. Collectibles are completely dependent on finding the greater fool.
I can't speak for comic books because I was never really in to collecting them, but for baseball cards-

Overproduction had very little to do with the baseball card price crash. The hobby became outdated. Sure there were more card options, but nobody was buying them, let alone collecting them! It was literally because demand dried up. Now baseball card collecting is coming somewhat back in to vogue, but the market is still based on buyers (like Vegas Dave, who is literally setting market prices on some baseball collectables), not supply. Remember when Todd McFarlane paid some obscene amount of money for McGwire and Sosa and Barry Bonds home run balls?

Boomers had a special place in their heart for card collecting because it reminded them of their childhood. Boomers got older and richer and started fetish buying old cards based on nostalgia. That's what the baseball card collector market is. Same as...Transformers, Star Wars, GI Joes, virtually any childhood toy that is now a collectible for Gen X and Millennials.

I mentioned a while ago that I broke a box with a friend. It was the fastest I've ever seen $2000 turn to zero in my life. I have a cool 2009 Bowman Chrome Set Neftali Feliz Refractor card to show for it though...know anyone that wants to buy? To me it's worth $1000, to everyone else it's probably worth around $0.05.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+507|2839

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I mentioned a while ago that I broke a box with a friend. It was the fastest I've ever seen $2000 turn to zero in my life. I have a cool 2009 Bowman Chrome Set Neftali Feliz Refractor card to show for it though...know anyone that wants to buy? To me it's worth $1000, to everyone else it's probably worth around $0.05.
This happens often with the older $5000 boxes the guy in the YouTube video will open for his Patreon subscribers. The joke in the comments is "opening old boxes is the easiest way to turn $5000 into $200".
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4477|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

The first time was overproduction. Everyone got into collectibles because there were stories about baby boomers finding $100k+ baseball cards and comics in their attics. Comic book stores popped up everywhere. Seeing the interest, card and comic producers flooded the market and crashed all the prices. The 2nd time was just a normal bubble pop. Collectibles are completely dependent on finding the greater fool.
I can't speak for comic books because I was never really in to collecting them, but for baseball cards-

Overproduction had very little to do with the baseball card price crash. The hobby became outdated. Sure there were more card options, but nobody was buying them, let alone collecting them! It was literally because demand dried up. Now baseball card collecting is coming somewhat back in to vogue, but the market is still based on buyers (like Vegas Dave, who is literally setting market prices on some baseball collectables), not supply. Remember when Todd McFarlane paid some obscene amount of money for McGwire and Sosa and Barry Bonds home run balls?

Boomers had a special place in their heart for card collecting because it reminded them of their childhood. Boomers got older and richer and started fetish buying old cards based on nostalgia. That's what the baseball card collector market is. Same as...Transformers, Star Wars, GI Joes, virtually any childhood toy that is now a collectible for Gen X and Millennials.

I mentioned a while ago that I broke a box with a friend. It was the fastest I've ever seen $2000 turn to zero in my life. I have a cool 2009 Bowman Chrome Set Neftali Feliz Refractor card to show for it though...know anyone that wants to buy? To me it's worth $1000, to everyone else it's probably worth around $0.05.
https://lwos.life/2018/03/12/the-junk-w … the-hobby/
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,927|5751|949

Overproduction was a result of increased interest from boomers. Parents buying decks for their children for numerous reasons, as that article points out.

Supply had very little effect. A special '94 Upper Deck card was worth more than the same card made by Topps or Donruss or Bowman. It still came down to what collectors were willing to pay for cards. Just because more cards were produced, and more cards were worthless doesn't change the fact people were still paying top dollar for collectibles.

My Ken Griffey Jr rookie card is a Donruss. The special Upper Deck, Topps and Fleer cards are worth more, but mine is still probably worth at least $500. I've seen some of the one-off cards sell for over $5000.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+507|2839
I really don't get baseball card collecting because there is really nothing you can do with them but look. At least Magic cards are used to play a game.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,927|5751|949

It started out for me as a hobby when I was younger- I liked baseball and I wanted to have complete sets, and my dad collected baseball cards when he was younger. Now it's the same as collecting anything else- I see something cool that I want, and decide if I want to buy it or not. It's less about cards as a commodity or investment and very much more about "hey, that's cool and I want to add to my collection." Exception to that being the box set my friend and I bought for $2000. That was purely speculative.

I've never seriously entertained selling any of my sports memorabilia, including my baseball card collection. I suppose if I was ever in a dire financial situation it's another asset I could liquidate, but I have never thought about it like that until I just typed it out.

People don't collect stamps so they can use them to post letters. Im sure your mom collects something random like porcelain cow figures - my mom collects those stupid little snow villages. The item doesn't necessarily have to have utility to justify collecting it.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4477|London, England
I had seven binders full of cards when I was a kid, but they were all from the junk wax era and are probably all worth more as kindling.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,927|5751|949

I'm sitting in my office drinking a stella. I guess being able to drink at work because no one else is in the office is a good thing?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,927|5751|949

but now i want to go home and i still have half a beer left.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,937|5891|USA

I have a childhood baseball card collection somewhere in storage. Not too old, probably not too valuable. Maybe some of the more esoteric cards like the Mother's Cookies run with the gloss finish (?) and rounded edges might be worth something if I had the full set, but I probably don't (e: looked up, not really).

In all, probably 3-4 inches high if I took them all out of their binder and stacked them.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,927|5751|949

I remember spending hours upon hours organizing my sets. Favorite team first, then ranked with least favorite team last. Each individual team was sorted by favorite player to least favorite. Then towards the back of the binder was one-off cards and smaller sets. Each binder held a different years' production.

I remember one time I was grounded for something stupid and I spent the afternoon organizing a few sets. My dad came upstairs and asked something like, "not so fun sitting in your room while everyone else is playing outside, eh?". I told him I was having a blast.

Uno_reversal_card.meme
uziq
Member
+426|2572

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I'm sitting in my office drinking a stella. I guess being able to drink at work because no one else is in the office is a good thing?
my guy. why? that is the absolute lowest tier of lager here. is it exotic in the states or what?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,756|5225|eXtreme to the maX
Stella brewed in the UK and Stella exported from Belgium share literally only the badge.

Stella, Fosters, XXXX etc in the UK all come out of the same vat.
#Freed Britney !
uziq
Member
+426|2572
somehow i doubt they've got genuine stella in california, but sure.

that's a bit like saying budweiser in the states and in europe are different. yeah.

and i can't even imagine the guinness you get in australia.

and yes, fosters is also shit-tier lager.

the huge brewery in reading shut down, by the way, if that's the site you're referring to.

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-02 01:22:32)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,756|5225|eXtreme to the maX
I think some is brewed in Belgium specifically for the UK, its not sold anywhere else.

Same goes for Kingfisher, beloved of morons curry nights, also produced in the UK.
#Freed Britney !
uziq
Member
+426|2572
i mean i don't think it's news to anyone that their fosters isn't coming over in the hold of giant ships from perth.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+507|2839
I bought two 40's of Corona and 2 of Guinness the other day. I liked both but I ran into the same problem that the part of my brain that handles alcohol might be burnt out and I struggle to get drunk.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
Member
+426|2572
if you take anything that interferes with seratonin receptors or your affectivity in general, i.e. dopamine antagonists, which many anti-depressants and anti-psychotics are, inhibiting dopamine reuptake, then yes, the initial 'buzz' and high off alcohol will be affected, too.

you'll still get all the physical and cognitive aspects of drunkenness if you drink a lot. but the temporary 'high' of the first few drinks, not so much.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,927|5751|949

uziq wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I'm sitting in my office drinking a stella. I guess being able to drink at work because no one else is in the office is a good thing?
my guy. why? that is the absolute lowest tier of lager here. is it exotic in the states or what?
it was one of the only choices at the convenience store that wasn't American light beer?
uziq
Member
+426|2572
i was wondering if perhaps it had some strange exotic cachet in california.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+507|2839
I thought California would be into Corona (the beer) since it has a large Mexican population and that beer is a hot weather beer.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4477|London, England
Corona is piss. Stella is piss. Heineken in America is piss. Heineken in The Netherlands is delicious.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
Member
+426|2572
surely modelo is the best widely available mexican beer?

i really do not like corona. i have never enjoyed it, not even on a beach with a lime or whatever, in its 'ideal' situation. least of all on a night. it very directly gives me a tight chemical-feeling headache.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4477|London, England
Modelo negra is solid. Definitely light years ahead of Corona or XX
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2021 Jeff Minard