Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

I had one 20 something I had to fire because he wanted to "do his beats" all shift instead of working.
I've had a couple of business owners tell me that many millenials are impossible to employ - they firmly believe the pay is attendance money, and for this they need do no more than show up within about an hour of the official time, swan around chatting, checking their phone and organising their social life. For actual work they expect bonus money and constant praise, criticism knocks them sideways.

I had one employee who easily spend 20 minutes gassing on the phone and planning his weekend with his mates. But he was otherwise a good worker and knew every Simpsons reference so I let it go.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2018-11-23 03:19:31)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

coke wrote:

QI episode I saw the other night, basically said the most effective managers are "naggers".
Tell someone to do something then follow it up with an email etc. etc.
The most effective managers are the ones whose team knows exactly what they are supposed to be doing and when.
I've had plenty who can't articulate either or rationalise their scrambled thoughts into something meaningful. A few months ago a colleague handed me a list of 20 complex tasks each with "as soon as possible" for the deadline. Mentally I'm already out of this place.
uziq
+492|3451

Dilbert_X wrote:

I knew something was up when the CEO told everyone to stop using email and use Skype instead - devious shyster that he is.
Also say everything twice, it worked for Howard Hughes.
skype has logs too you know. any data protection request will have to serve them up by law.
uziq
+492|3451

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

I had one 20 something I had to fire because he wanted to "do his beats" all shift instead of working.
I've had a couple of business owners tell me that many millenials are impossible to employ - they firmly believe the pay is attendance money, and for this they need do no more than show up within about an hour of the official time, swan around chatting, checking their phone and organising their social life. For actual work they expect bonus money and constant praise, criticism knocks them sideways.

I had one employee who easily spend 20 minutes gassing on the phone and planning his weekend with his mates. But he was otherwise a good worker and knew every Simpsons reference so I let it go.
yeah this really tallies with the picture of all those graduates in unpaid internships with no long-teen career stability. entitled! that’s their problem.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

yeah this really tallies with the picture of all those graduates in unpaid internships with no long-teen career stability. entitled! that’s their problem.
This kid was probably making $70k a year or so. He came into work on the first day wearing an adidas track suit and sneakers.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3451
he’s referring to millennials in general, though, a generation who have the biggest obstacles of getting into secure, long-term graduate employment, and talking about their ‘lack of work ethic’.

as for a guy who wears trainers to an office, i don’t know how to account for that sort of retardation.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I am one of those workers who always went overboard with how much work I did when I was working as a tech and it got me nowhere. At the end of the day, you are just working to put money in somebody who doesn't care about you's pocket. Your co-workers and others are also in a secret competition with you for money and position too. It is such an awful mindset to have to live with. I don't fault any millennial for having a "do just enough to pay for your hobbies" mindset at work. After all, we are the generation that saw the economy get wiped out and all of those boomers lose their jobs and houses after decades of being loyal drones.

You couldn't pay me enough to go back into the private sector. You guys still stuck at your engineering firms have no idea how nice it is to work for an institution that looks out for you. You don't know what it is like to have co-workers who are also invested in how well you do and how the whole ship runs instead of just their paycheck.

I wish I could talk more about this but Jay promised to dox me so whatever.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3451
i work for a not-for-profit learned society, it's the sweet spot between private and public. huge annual bonuses (relative to the industry, that is; i work in publishing not finance) and lots of employee perks – all the profit has to be reinvested in the institute/employees. loads of feel-good stuff.

Last edited by uziq (2018-11-23 09:33:38)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Adams_BJ wrote:

I don't agree in sponsoring kids from third world countries, or sending aid unless it is an emergency. I feel if a nation can't support it's inhabitants, or if parents can't support their children, then the ecosystem is out of balance and it needs to correct itself.

Am I basically MacB?
I remember a scene from Charlie Wilson's War where it was suggested that abandoning Afghanistan to its own uneducated devices would end poorly.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

I'm talking about Australia, we don't have unpaid internships, pretty sure its illegal, and minimum wage is higher than the average US wage.

John Galt wrote:

But high wages lead to high unemployment
No they don't.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I remember a scene from Charlie Wilson's War where it was suggested that abandoning Afghanistan to its own uneducated devices would end poorly.
Worked out about as well as dismantling all of Iraq's institutions then abandoning it to its own devices.

Its hard to hold onto the idea that this wasn't the plan all along for both countries.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

You couldn't pay me enough to go back into the private sector. You guys still stuck at your engineering firms have no idea how nice it is to work for an institution that looks out for you. You don't know what it is like to have co-workers who are also invested in how well you do and how the whole ship runs instead of just their paycheck.
My CEO is currently on a mission to make every employee use up all their leave as otherwise it shows up as a liability on the balance sheet. Fuck the employees who have worked without a break and saved up all their leave.
I have a suspicion he's on a mission to sell the whole lot to some unsuspecting Chinese moron, fun times ahead.
uziq
+492|3451
it was my brother's 23rd birthday today. he has been in a coma for 4 years.

there's not much 'good things' to extract from it, but every day i regard life in a new way. when i think of him, visit him (i do this once a week), i regard life in a new sense.

is this too heavy for bf2s? there's an absurdity and will-less suffering to life that ,when it visits you or your family, opens you up like a lilac bouquet.

i miss that kid everyday but it also makes me want to be a more honest, genuine, earnest person.

no shame in admitting this in front of a community i've been posting in for almost 10 years. good night bf2s.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Sorry to hear that. My one life-lesson is that most people have some horrible issue they're silently bearing and that it pays to be nice to each other.
uziq
+492|3451
life happens to everyone, somehow, eventually.

part of the reason why bf2s is such a balm to us all is that it probably was part of the package deal when life was simpler and easier.

Last edited by uziq (2018-11-26 00:28:41)

Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6622|Little Bentcock
I was actually thinking about your brother the other day, I remember when you let us all know what had happened. I hope we get some advances and progress is made soon.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

i work for a not-for-profit
https://media.giphy.com/media/11ahZZugJHrdLO/giphy.gif
Does that mean you lie on your back and watch the clouds all day?
Without a profit motive what else is there?

I work for a corporation, no slacking for me.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Some people seriously believe that without a profit motive things will just not get done in any field and the people working in not for profit positions are lazy for not trying to better themselves and chase profit. I swear I have seen Jay make that argument here.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3451
to be fair i do work from home for 2/3 days a week (of my strictly 35 hour week) and today i've been in bed all day doing sweet f all. so maybe there is something to the profit motive. but my annual bonus has already been guaranteed so /shrug.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Some people seriously believe that without a profit motive things will just not get done in any field and the people working in not for profit positions are lazy for not trying to better themselves and chase profit. I swear I have seen Jay make that argument here.
Jay has worked for the government and a small to mid size engineering firm.  It's fair to say he has no real world experience (or real world facts) on how non-profits or massive corporations work or the culture within.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay has worked for the government and a small to mid size engineering firm.  It's fair to say he has no real world experience (or real world facts) on how non-profits or massive corporations work or the culture within.
Ok.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Most non-profits are bullshit. Most of their effort is expended on fundraising and nearly all of the money they bring in is spent on salaries. It's essentially a form of high class begging, but with attached social status. It's a path for artsy ne'erdowell scions with connections to get off the family dole. Throw a gala a year, sell the wealthy the feeling they are contributing in a positive way, and collect their tax deductible donations. Most NPO's don't pass on more than maybe 15% of donations, and the work they actually attempt to do is ineffectual.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3451

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Most non-profits are bullshit. Most of their effort is expended on fundraising and nearly all of the money they bring in is spent on salaries. It's essentially a form of high class begging, but with attached social status. It's a path for artsy ne'erdowell scions with connections to get off the family dole. Throw a gala a year, sell the wealthy the feeling they are contributing in a positive way, and collect their tax deductible donations. Most NPO's don't pass on more than maybe 15% of donations, and the work they actually attempt to do is ineffectual.
or they work all year round just like normal private companies but, you know, reinvest their profits into research, charity, learned institutes, etc, rather than yachts for the board. but okay. everyone who works for not-for-profits are ‘ne’erdowells’. lmao. pretty sure about 40% of the employees at my place have PhDs/post doc experience at leading institutions. a previous head just won a nobel prize. derp.

Last edited by uziq (2018-11-30 08:02:33)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

or they work all year round just like normal private companies but, you know, reinvest their profits into research, charity, learned institutes, etc, rather than yachts for the board. but okay. everyone who works for not-for-profits are ‘ne’erdowells’. lmao. pretty sure about 40% of the employees at my place have PhDs/post doc experience at leading institutions. a previous head just won a nobel prize. derp.
Yes, precisely. Their family connections and money bought them a nice education but they have either no talent for, or no desire to, carry on the family business that earned that money in the first place. So they get degrees in Art History or Philosophy and go work at a non-profit because they are valuable  simply for their connections. Their pleb department peers from unprestigious schools end up at Starbucks.

I have friends from high school that got suckered into it. They thought they would be changing the world in a positive way but they were just used to hassle their dad's friends for money constantly.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3451
you have no idea what you’re talking about but it’s okay because i think everyone here pretty well knows it.

you seem to think not for profits are exclusively some charity drive gala thing. they operate like regular businesses dipshit.  i work for a publishing house that is run like any other publishing house. people work full time. the money just gets reinvested in the scholarly work and mission of the institute. which, by the way, is physics. so much for ‘useless degrees and charity begging’. you are a literal moron and it’s funny that the well-educated upper-middle class is such an enduring mystery to you.

Last edited by uziq (2018-11-30 08:31:33)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard