DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+795|6744|United States of America
The problem is that most people who would be terrible parents don't think about that and just spawn their offspring regardless. You almost need the people smart enough to not have kids to have kids anyway so the world has a chance against the fucking idiots.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,811|6165|eXtreme to the maX
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5417|London, England
I love my son more than anything. I don't feel like I'm missing out on the partying or hanging out with friends every weekend, life is just different now.

I'll say this: if you're a naturally selfish person then you will hate being a parent and will probably be a bad one. If not, then you'll probably do just fine.

And piranha, you're not your father. You have free will to be different.

Last edited by Jay (2016-11-01 02:56:02)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3512
i like how dilbert is making out having kids in your 30s is genetically reckless. im pretty sure dudes can have babies at 33.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Of course they can, but the risks of defects increase beyond about 25-30
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6776

Dilbert_X wrote:

i thought that was more the woman's problem =/
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
uziq
+492|3512

Dilbert_X wrote:

preposterous. the risks are always stacked at 40+ and normally on the side of the women.

One in 25 babies in the UK is born to a woman over 40 (including one of my own). The average age for first-time mothers is 29.7 and for fathers it is 32.6. There were 31,643 babies born in 2011 to fathers aged 45 and over, while only 1,832 babies had mothers in that age group. Yet despite older fathers being the more common, it is the risk posed by older mothers that has had most attention. Mothers over the relatively young age of 35 increase their risk of a premature baby, stillbirth, a "small for dates" baby and a prolonged labour.

But, increasingly, the age of fathers is being scrutinised too. Simon Cowell's late entry to fatherhood at the age of 54 has coincided with the publication of research linking older fathers (45 years and older) to having children with an increased risk of autism, attention deficit disorder, bipolar disorder, substance abuse and low academic achievement. So is it safer for fathers to have babies earlier?
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl … en-earlier
just one of dozens of articles.

increased risks after age 25. jesus fucking christ. your child is more likely to grow up with psychological or emotional issues from having such an immature or poor parent.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

preposterous. the risks are always stacked at 40+ and normally on the side of the women.

One in 25 babies in the UK is born to a woman over 40 (including one of my own). The average age for first-time mothers is 29.7 and for fathers it is 32.6. There were 31,643 babies born in 2011 to fathers aged 45 and over, while only 1,832 babies had mothers in that age group. Yet despite older fathers being the more common, it is the risk posed by older mothers that has had most attention. Mothers over the relatively young age of 35 increase their risk of a premature baby, stillbirth, a "small for dates" baby and a prolonged labour.

But, increasingly, the age of fathers is being scrutinised too. Simon Cowell's late entry to fatherhood at the age of 54 has coincided with the publication of research linking older fathers (45 years and older) to having children with an increased risk of autism, attention deficit disorder, bipolar disorder, substance abuse and low academic achievement. So is it safer for fathers to have babies earlier?
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl … en-earlier
just one of dozens of articles.

increased risks after age 25. jesus fucking christ. your child is more likely to grow up with psychological or emotional issues from having such an immature or poor parent.
Pregnancies after age 35 are considered 'geriatric' and women are sent for additional testing for birth defects and the like. It's also more difficult to conceive and carry to term. Humans were biologically meant to have kids in their 20s.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3512
i never denied that your 20s (arguably even earlier) is the best time biologically to have kids. but saying that having a kid after 30 puts you at risk of genetic disorders is patent nonsense. the average age for starting a family is the early 30s. moreover, almost every statistic i can see about conceiving and birth defects posits +/- 1% change, year on year, through the 30s.

testosterone levels in males drop off after 40. women's fertility starts to dip after 30. the chance of conception taking longer than a year at 25 is 8%. the chance of the same at 35 is 12%. i think i'll take my chances and ignore dilbert's nonsense about having kids at 25.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

i never denied that your 20s (arguably even earlier) is the best time biologically to have kids. but saying that having a kid after 30 puts you at risk of genetic disorders is patent nonsense. the average age for starting a family is the early 30s. moreover, almost every statistic i can see about conceiving and birth defects posits +/- 1% change, year on year, through the 30s.

testosterone levels in males drop off after 40. women's fertility starts to dip after 30. the chance of conception taking longer than a year at 25 is 8%. the chance of the same at 35 is 12%. i think i'll take my chances and ignore dilbert's nonsense about having kids at 25.
Before 30 is the optimum time, after 30 the risks steadily increase.
For most of these disorders, the likelihood of the disorder increased steadily with paternal age. When compared to a child born to a 24-year-old father, a child born to a 45-year-old father was 3.5 times more likely to have autism, 13 times more likely to have ADHD and 25 times more likely to have bipolar disorder.
https://www.autismspeaks.org/science/sc … rders-kids
Its not going to be a step change at 45, it will be a steady uphill climb between 30 and 45, probably not enough research has been done at this point.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

Higher chance for Downs
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3512

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Higher chance for Downs
again, i'll worry about that when i'm pushing 50 and getting a 40 year old pregnant.

i'm 26 and i think a 28-year-old having 3 kids is crazy/scary/wowsers.

i'm glad we had this pointless 5-post exchange.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,975|6691|949

I'm going to mexico in 4 weeks.  Much needed vacation
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+637|3779
don't have any kids while you are there. you are too old.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Pocshy2.0
+23|3430

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Higher chance for Downs
again, i'll worry about that when i'm pushing 50 and getting a 40 year old pregnant.

These exchanges are the only reason I even check in on this forum. So really, I am glad you had it.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,975|6691|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

don't have any kids while you are there. you are too old.
i feel like even if my kid had some sort of spectrum disorder, my overwhelming intellect would lead to an idiot-savant.  I'm willing to take that risk for a child that may end up tossing dirt on his face because he likes the feeling while also being able to draw the LA public transit system from memory.
uziq
+492|3512
i think dilbert is taking out his childless anxiety on us here who still have plenty of time and freedom in which to start a family.

the lead is his pencil is broken and he wants to give all us handsome young mid-20s studs a hard time.

ken i hope you fuck a whole lot of women in mexico. get HPV. post a video.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,975|6691|949

pretty sure i already have HPV, if an ex girlfriend is to be believed.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+637|3779
i bet you are all sorts of fucked up in real life
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,975|6691|949

what do you mean?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+637|3779
what other disease have you been exposed to? are you suffering from any drug related abnormalities?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,975|6691|949

I've had a few run ins with MRSA, going back to when I wrestled in high school, through my time I spent in Western Samoa.  Last time I had it was when I went to the Bahamas a few years ago.  I had strep throat once when I was 15.  That's the beginning and end of any physical ailments.

No drug related abnormalities.  In fact I'm healthier now than I probably ever have been in my life.  Don't really drink that much anymore.  Going to the gym 4x a week.  Body fat is at an all time low.  Don't really smoke a lot of pot anymore.  Eating really healthy.  Physical health is on point.

Mental health has always been a struggle for me, but that's just a fact of life.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

i think dilbert is taking out his childless anxiety on us here who still have plenty of time and freedom in which to start a family.
Nope, I don't want a family, I've never wanted one, I don't think I could cope with a family.
You're the one getting worked up and slinging insults, not me.

saying that having a kid after 30 puts you at risk of genetic disorders is patent nonsense. the average age for starting a family is the early 30s
And the incidence of ADHD, Autism etc is through the roof.
Real or just bad behaviour and poor parenting? Coincidence? Who knows.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6776
Or it's that the field of psychology has gotten at lot better at identifying issues.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Higher chance for Downs

Don't wait forever, being an old dad sucks. You're going to die when they're in college and fuck them up, or need a hip replacement after the first time you kick around a football.

Eleven weeks til mini-me #2 arrives!
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard