DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6686|United States of America

DesertFox- wrote:

The bad news is that my great aunt passed away about a month ago at the ripe, old age of 92. Today I got some mail from attorneys related to executing her will, and she left me fully half of my gross annual salary, and probably the same to my brother, as well as money for my dad, aunt, and grandma. Despite being in assisted living for the last couple years, that's way more money to disburse than any of my other relatives who died in earlier years.
In a bit of a follow-up, what do people do when they get large sums of money like this? If I were buying a house, it'd be a darn good down payment, but I'm not in that market yet. I've maxed out my IRA contributions for 2016 already, too. Is that just the sort of thing you put in very low risk investments and let it grow a bit more than it would in a savings account?
uziq
+492|3454
she gave it to you for the coco
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

at your age and point in life, i'd throw it in a money market account and just travel with the funds. Investing can be fun, but I recommend doing the research yourself and investing in what you want as opposed to using a broker.  I'm also biased against brokerages and mutual funds in general because i've lost a significant amount of money in both over the last 6 months.

going to vegas, buying a bunch of drugs and hookers and blowing it all is also a very good option.  As the kids used to say, YOLO
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

DesertFox- wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

The bad news is that my great aunt passed away about a month ago at the ripe, old age of 92. Today I got some mail from attorneys related to executing her will, and she left me fully half of my gross annual salary, and probably the same to my brother, as well as money for my dad, aunt, and grandma. Despite being in assisted living for the last couple years, that's way more money to disburse than any of my other relatives who died in earlier years.
In a bit of a follow-up, what do people do when they get large sums of money like this? If I were buying a house, it'd be a darn good down payment, but I'm not in that market yet. I've maxed out my IRA contributions for 2016 already, too. Is that just the sort of thing you put in very low risk investments and let it grow a bit more than it would in a savings account?
Open an account with Vanguard and toss it in their market index funds. They have the lowest fees and their entire investment strategy is simply to mimic the market as closely as possible by buying a proportion of everything. When the market goes up, you go up. When the market goes down, you go down. Doesn't get any simpler and doesn't require any thought on your part. Highly recommend.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

my vanguard funds have losses over the last 6 months

oppenheimer was my biggest loser.  Fucking stupid aunt and uncle's advice.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Everyone is a loser right now. Stay the course.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

that's all i can do.  I did reshuffle my oppenheimer currency funds to something more stable though.  I was playing the high risk high reward game.  Terrible timing on my part.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I switched my 401K to 25% real estate last January and it's the only reason I'm at 0% instead of at a loss
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

i just gave the same advice to my mom on sunday.  She didn't know you could invest 401K in real estate
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Oh wow, nevermind. Over the past 12 months I'm down -17.56%. I guess it tanked recently when I wasn't looking. Oh well.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3454

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Everyone is a loser right now. Stay the course.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

meanwhile, my stocks are like

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
Invest in heroin. The opiate crisis isn't going anywhere. Solid 5-10 years of returns.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718
I bought shares in a milk company called a2m. down around 6% and bought stock only a month lol... was up 10% but sigh fuck you china.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6686|United States of America

Cybargs wrote:

I bought shares in a milk company called a2m. down around 6% and bought stock only a month lol... was up 10% but sigh fuck you china.
Ass 2 mouth?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718

DesertFox- wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Ass 2 mouth?
yes. ass 2 mouth milk.

for reals, its some milk company that's been selling infant formula like hotcakes to the point stores limit how much costumers can buy.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business … 96af49eb73
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6475|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Got tickets to this years

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwnuAenIIAAJ-0Z.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Which of those lovely cold as balls redneck cities are you flying to?
-Frederick Bastiat
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6475|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Helsinki. I think that image is from the 2015 tour.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone
$275

hahahaha
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX
$425

I'm not cheap you faggot.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3454
go and see a tired whore in an arena filled with BO like some sort of nerd zeppelin for a cool half grand.

bargain
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
Friends, I have something very important to do tomorrow. It is something I should have done years ago. If it goes well I will tell you what it is. Please wish me luck. Macbeth needs it.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6293|Washington St.
If it's something positive, good luck.

If it's something negative - obligatory 'hey don't do that'

(you always hear about those people that write in blogs theyre going to shoot people but nobody ever tells them not to)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard