Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5998|...
If that's the case he's right, I contested the notion that the US is 20 years ahead technologically. That's ludicrous.

At present I'd say the EU military complex is just sad from an operational capacity pov.
inane little opines
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6499|so randum
errrr

the eurofighter wasn't ground-breaking when it was released?

the chobham armour wasn't ground-breaking when it was released?

fuck, the harrier wasn't ground-breaking when it was released?

yes, we do quite well thank-you. HK aren't a major player? last i heard they were the go-to guys for making 1st world countries firearms actually decent.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5998|...
Technologically the US is ahead in aviation (slightly) and in most things relating to fielding a blue water navy. On other fronts, not really.

Though I have to say that there are some impressive concepts on the drawing table / in prototype stage in the US in a variety of fields atm.

Last edited by Shocking (2012-09-14 14:50:41)

inane little opines
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

You sound like you think technology is the best estimate of a country's influence.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

Cybargs wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

inb4 overheated Chinese economy disintegrates and hundreds of millions of suppressed minorities intensify separatist movements in a USSR break-up style.
How is china gonna rule the world when they can't event solve the Taiwan issue :p
the same way america managed being the world's superpower throughout the 20th century whilst having a cuba issue?
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5998|...

Macbeth wrote:

You sound like you think technology is the best estimate of a country's influence.

Shocking wrote:

I'd also like to point out that a large, advanced military isn't the only thing that defines a superpower.
inane little opines
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

Well you sure are going on about that one aspect.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5998|...
Because that was what we were talking about.
inane little opines
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6496

Shocking wrote:

Because that was what we were talking about.
what a glorious derail.

Is stop and frisk a necessary police tool or an abomination?
for all y'all including Mr. Shut-down-every-thread, Here's-your-AWM himself, i will post a picture of the USS San Diego.

not even KENNINGS could stop and frisk this fucker

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6349036/bf3s/The%20USS%20San%20Diego.jpg
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5998|...
No I didn't.

You sir have one good camera.
inane little opines
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

Shocking wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I'll have to look up the 20 years ahead statement for some clarity.  I read it in Foreign Policy magazine I think 2 years ago or so.  I'll have to find the exact issue when I get home.
Personally I think the statement is absolute bull. Unless ofcourse they discounted all NATO partners - though Russia still (ocassionaly) develops pretty high quality stuff. As does China as of late.
Consider the scope.  One-off builds in Russia and China don't hold a candle to a fully developed, technologically advanced military the US has.  We have better ships, better planes, etc.  And more of them.  And the logistics to put them anywhere in the world.  No other nation can say that.  We've got partnerships (like NATO, you mentioned) that allows us to operate in every corner of the world - and we do.  NATO countries don't have this large capability if you remove the US resources - much of NATO relies on US resources to cover their ass.  And let's remember, we are talking about single countries, not multi-country alliances.  NATO is not a sovereign nation; NATO isn't in this discussion. 

We've developed strategies to cover the globe - not to say these are the best or most complete strategies, but there are blueprints.  The groundwork has been laid.  Can we realistically say China has the ability to move 'x' amount of troops with a full navy and air complement to any region of the world with a very short turnaround time?  The US can - and has.  You can't just build a technologically advanced armed forces and the logistical support systems in 20 years.  The US had the advantage(?) of getting into the cold war, which created a real motivation to do all these things.

Shocking wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Why will China have an economic advantage?  Sure, economically they are setting themselves up for the future in regards to securing resources and geopolitically developing their string of pearls to ensure they have spheres of influence extending through to the African and European markets - so what?  They still need to build their internal infrastructure.
As I said, 20 years. By then their infrastructure should be pretty good.
Pretty good...No, they are still a ways off.  Look at western China as opposed to Eastern China.  There are huge degrees of separation between the industrialization of cities on the east coast and rural areas in western China.  They do have an advantage of centralized control within their government which allows them to manage huge projects that affect the whole country, but again, 20 years is not a lot of time, especially in a country that tries its best to stifle democratic progress.

Shocking wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

The US has a considerable technological advantage militarily and strategic advantage geopolitically - we've been beefing up our military and cultivating our spheres of influence for far longer than the Chinese - and that is an important piece to consider.
It could work against you. As of yet, barely anyone on the global political scene bears a grudge against China. The African nations are much more inclined towards the Chinese as they 'have done no wrong unto them', surely many nations might follow as China expands its influence and power.
Diplomacy and force wins.  We have the money and the muscles to force countries to do what we want.  Bearing a grudge is perception vs. reality.  African nations are more inclined towards China because China is focused on investing in industry there and giving them aid (not AIDS).  Money wins there.  That's the reality vs. your "have done no wrong unto them" perception.

Shocking wrote:

Fatherted wrote:

the BAE-EADS merger is going to create one fucking powerful company
The largest defense corporation in the world probably. Twice as large as LH.
And I believe the US is it's biggest customer - again, we are talking about nations, not companies or alliances.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like unipolarity.  I think having another nation there to challenge US supremacy is a good thing - I just don't see China filling that role in 20 years.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5998|...
So you were talking about the big picture rather than the single issue of technology. That being the case I refer to my post at the top of the page ; I share this view.

Look how far China got in 20 years time and how much farther they will get in 20 more. They don't need to elevate their entire population to similar living standards as we have in the west or transform the entire country industrially. I don't see these as a prerequisite to becoming a superpower. As you stated, force projection and diplomacy matter. China has plenty of either and its sphere of influence only expands.

I'm not saying China will 'conquer the US' or anything like that, just that she will become the (other) major dominant force on the global stage. Where it will play out from there is anyone's guess.
inane little opines
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

yeah, you mentioned being the sole superpower.  I was countering that argument.  You're the one that tried to steer it towards a technology 1-up discussion.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5998|...
Really now? Not according to me.
inane little opines
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

Nope, you're right, my comment about being 20 years ahead is really what started this back and forth
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715
so i heard police stopping and frisking people was an abomination
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6496

obama-nation
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

It is too bad lowing isn't here. This would have been on page 20 by now if he was.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
I think lowing's head would have exploded from the cognitive dissonance (ask Uzique) of simultaneously arguing that it was fine to stop and frisk anyone who looked like they could be an illegal, claiming benefits or brown (even if it was just the lighting or they'd recently been on a beach holiday) while white tax-payers should have the right to stand their ground and blow the head off any Police Officer who accosted them with a look in their eye which suggested they weren't 100% sure the person they were accosting was a paid up member of the Aryan Nation.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-11-05 01:21:04)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

yeah, you mentioned being the sole superpower.  I was countering that argument.  You're the one that tried to steer it towards a technology 1-up discussion.
http://nplusonemag.com/the-foundation-statesmen

Dilbert wrote:

cognitive dissonance (ask uzique)
are you mentioning me here because i just taught you the term, or are you arbitrarily accusing me of exhibiting it?

Last edited by aynrandroolz (2012-09-15 08:34:31)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
I want to compare the wall-of-text explanation with the wiki version.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-09-16 00:16:52)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5473|Ventura, California
I had no clue aynrandroolz was Uzique.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

-Sh1fty- wrote:

He isn't. He was a protuberant uziqling growth who gestated on the left underarm of uzique's turtleneck sweater, fed a constant diet of high-cost deodorant and pretentious literature. Once mature, he broke off and landed on a random keyboard at an underground internet café. Over a period of four hours, he was absorbed by a Macintosh through osmosis and has recently emerged as a digital consciousness to once again post on BF2.

The real uzique is sitting on a comfy chair with his autographed Harry Potter books, watching Willow in between takes of his 48-hour lecture series on how to get into things before they're mainstream.

True story!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

-Sh1fty- wrote:

This is false. aynrandroolz is an abstraction.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard