Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6007|...
Let me clear a few things up; first, dilbert is (ab)using my statement on the top of the previous page to push his "amerikanskis are incompetent at everything" stance. Second, the term 'superpower' has only been used to describe post WW2 US and SU. Before this there were great powers, of which there were multiple. Up until WW2 the US still wasn't really acknowledged by the rest of the world as being a legitimate great power (even though it was), neither did the US aspire to the position. It was isolationist and cared little for (directly) exerting power and playing the global political games.

My statement on the top is still true though. Because every former great power got pretty much destroyed during WW2 it put the US in a unique position to exert influence and establish itself as a superpower. It now also had the political will to achieve this.

Last edited by Shocking (2012-09-12 10:35:16)

inane little opines
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4262

Shocking wrote:

Let me clear a few things up; first, dilbert is (ab)using my statement on the top of the previous page to push his "amerikanskis are incompetent at everything" stance. Second, the term 'superpower' has only been used to describe post WW2 US and SU. Before this there were great powers, of which there were multiple. Up until WW2 the US still wasn't really acknowledged by the rest of the world as being a legitimate great power (even though it was), neither did the US aspire to the position. It was isolationist and cared little for (directly) exerting power and playing the global political games.

My statement on the top is still true though. Because every former great power got pretty much destroyed during WW2 it put the US in a unique position to exert influence and establish itself as a superpower. It now also had the political will to achieve this.
america's time is done. it didn't even last as long as old europe, the motherland.

say hello to your new chinese overlords.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6007|...
I give it another 20 years before the position as 'sole superpower' is over.
inane little opines
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6682|Canberra, AUS

aynrandroolz wrote:

Shocking wrote:

america's time is done. it didn't even last as long as old europe, the motherland.

i'm still not entirely convinced this is true tbh
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6639|949

Shocking wrote:

If the US stopped defense spending today, we're still 20 years ahead of the next closest country.  We haven't stopped defense spending.

What do you base your statement on?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

Spark wrote:

aynrandroolz wrote:

Shocking wrote:

i'm still not entirely convinced this is true tbh
China ha almost 0 soft power besides economics. English is still the dominant global language and American culture is still way more dominant. The chinese Lready had a taste of American apple pie and they do enjoy it
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6156|'straya
inb4 overheated Chinese economy disintegrates and hundreds of millions of suppressed minorities intensify separatist movements in a USSR break-up style.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

Their country is over 90% ethnically Chinese. Assuming the whole other 10% decide to work together they would still get nowhere.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

inb4 overheated Chinese economy disintegrates and hundreds of millions of suppressed minorities intensify separatist movements in a USSR break-up style.
How is china gonna rule the world when they can't event solve the Taiwan issue :p
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6156|'straya

Macbeth wrote:

Their country is over 90% ethnically Chinese. Assuming the whole other 10% decide to work together they would still get nowhere.
Better tell that to the Tibetans and Uyghurs who might see a collapsing Han China as an opportunity.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

An opportunity to have the country collectively rally to trounce on you. Sort of like how the invasion of India brought was used by the state.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

I could be wrong though.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

Macbeth wrote:

An opportunity to have the country collectively rally to trounce on you. Sort of like how the invasion of India brought was used by the state.
They still haven't trounced Taiwan yet and that's the biggest issue for china
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6639|949

No it's not.  Which one of your professors told you that?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

Cybargs wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

They still haven't trounced Taiwan yet and that's the biggest issue for china
Taiwan is not on the same level as a militia in east bumblefuck China. One is a state with allies and guarantees and a military. The other is a bunch of farmers. Come on.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

No it's not.  Which one of your professors told you that?
In terms of them replacing American hegemony yea it is
Spark
+874|6682|Canberra, AUS
surely south china sea is more important in those terms
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

Spark wrote:

surely south china sea is more important in those terms
Short term yes long term Taiwan is still pretty important since technically it's an unsolved civil war issue. But I seriously doubt china even wants to replace us hegemony as historically they didn't care much about the outside world
Spark
+874|6682|Canberra, AUS
how much regional trade goes through the south china sea? it's a while since i saw the figures, but it's a lot, isn't it? surely that would be more significant long term than some provincial issues on some island
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

Spark wrote:

how much regional trade goes through the south china sea? it's a while since i saw the figures, but it's a lot, isn't it? surely that would be more significant long term than some provincial issues on some island
It's more political than economic. And quite a lot of trade does pass through the strait. It's an issue of "face" if you will
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6007|...

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Shocking wrote:

If the US stopped defense spending today, we're still 20 years ahead of the next closest country.  We haven't stopped defense spending.

With the track they're on, economically the Chinese will have a pretty substantial lead on everyone else quite soon. This also means they can spend more money on... anything, without allocating as much of their budget to it. Technologically they will catch up and perhaps, in some areas, even surpass the western powers as their quality of education etc increases.

What do you base the statement on that you're "20 years ahead" of the "next closest country"? Did you forget about Rheinmetall, H&K, D'assault aviation, Hägglunds, BAE systems - just to name a few? These are all very competent & important non-US innovators in defense matters. If you 'stopped defense spending' today the leads you may have will be gone fairly quickly.

I'd also like to point out that a large, advanced military isn't the only thing that defines a superpower.
inane little opines
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6639|949

I'll have to look up the 20 years ahead statement for some clarity.  I read it in Foreign Policy magazine I think 2 years ago or so.  I'll have to find the exact issue when I get home. 

Why will China have an economic advantage?  Sure, economically they are setting themselves up for the future in regards to securing resources and geopolitically developing their string of pearls to ensure they have spheres of influence extending through to the African and European markets - so what?  They still need to build their internal infrastructure. Their military is light years behind the USA in terms of size and scope.  The US has a considerable technological advantage militarily and strategic advantage geopolitically - we've been beefing up our military and cultivating our spheres of influence for far longer than the Chinese - and that is an important piece to consider.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6508|so randum

Shocking wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Shocking wrote:

With the track they're on, economically the Chinese will have a pretty substantial lead on everyone else quite soon. This also means they can spend more money on... anything, without allocating as much of their budget to it. Technologically they will catch up and perhaps, in some areas, even surpass the western powers as their quality of education etc increases.

What do you base the statement on that you're "20 years ahead" of the "next closest country"? Did you forget about Rheinmetall, H&K, D'assault aviation, Hägglunds, BAE systems - just to name a few? These are all very competent & important non-US innovators in defense matters. If you 'stopped defense spending' today the leads you may have will be gone fairly quickly.

I'd also like to point out that a large, advanced military isn't the only thing that defines a superpower.
the BAE-EADS merger is going to create one fucking powerful company
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6007|...

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I'll have to look up the 20 years ahead statement for some clarity.  I read it in Foreign Policy magazine I think 2 years ago or so.  I'll have to find the exact issue when I get home.
Personally I think the statement is absolute bull. Unless ofcourse they discounted all NATO partners - though Russia still (ocassionaly) develops pretty high quality stuff. As does China as of late.

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Why will China have an economic advantage?  Sure, economically they are setting themselves up for the future in regards to securing resources and geopolitically developing their string of pearls to ensure they have spheres of influence extending through to the African and European markets - so what?  They still need to build their internal infrastructure.
As I said, 20 years. By then their infrastructure should be pretty good.

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

The US has a considerable technological advantage militarily and strategic advantage geopolitically - we've been beefing up our military and cultivating our spheres of influence for far longer than the Chinese - and that is an important piece to consider.
It could work against you. As of yet, barely anyone on the global political scene bears a grudge against China. The African nations are much more inclined towards the Chinese as they 'have done no wrong unto them', surely many nations might follow as China expands its influence and power.

Fatherted wrote:

the BAE-EADS merger is going to create one fucking powerful company
The largest defense corporation in the world probably. Twice as large as LH.
inane little opines
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6722|US
I think they may have been going off a technology in production idea.  Sure the EU military complex is quite advanced, but do they actually produce enough of anything at that level to be a major player?  Defense spending on fielding highly advanced technology is pretty low in a lot of places.  Most countries are in a "good enough" mindset.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard